Jayashree Aravind@SunaadaLahari on Aug 28th,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Veena: Jayashree Aravind , student of vainika Late KS Narayanaswami
Mrudangam : Praveen Sparsh once known as Tanjore Praveen kumar
Ghatam : Trichy Murali
Tambura : Bhuvaneshri???
Sound Engineer : Tirunavakkarasu

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow
Day/Duration : Sunday/ 2 hours and 10 mins - 06:00 to 08:20 PM
Hall : CP Ramaswami Road ,home gardens converted by Vidushi Aishwarya Shankar and family
Sabha: Indira Ranganathan trust

1. kaana kann aayiram -neelambari - Anai ayya
2. mundu venugA (R) - darbar - T

3. eTu nammina (R N S)-Saveri - Patnam
04 mins alapana and 5 min neraval and swaras
4. nA morAlina (R)- devagandhAri - T
brief raga alapana

5. Aananda natamaduvaar thillai (R N S)- poorvikalyani - Neelakanta Sivan
6 mins alapana
forgot to note the time for N and S
6. bhogeendra sAyinAm - kuntalavarali - ST

7A. nee paadamulE (R , taanam, N ,S , T) - bhairavi - Patnam
7 mins alapana
taanam for 6 mins
forgot to note the time for N and S
7B. tani for 12 mins

8. ini enna pEchirukku - sahana - vaitheeswaran kovil subbarama iyer
9. yaarukku aagilum bhayamA - bEgaDa - vaitheeswaran kovil subbarama iyerI
10. kanaga shaila vihaarani(R) - punnAgavarAli - SS
11. madhyamavati ragam
Last edited by rajeshnat on 31 Aug 2022, 13:47, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Jayashree Aravind@SunaadaLahari on Aug 28th,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

The concert start was advertised to start at 6pm. There was that day a 45 mins concert by Lalgudi siblings where central music college is giving three 45 mins concert slots for 3 teams which even continues today .From two 90 mins to three 45 mins concert is the alternative.Also there was a pull to hear this vainika as I wanted to hear mainly this mrudangist Praveen sparsh (the grandson of Tanjore Upendran who was once called Tanjore Praveen kumar).Praveen is very impressive. I have not heard this vainika so all of it was a first personal experience .

I came in 2 mins late but kudos to the sabha and artists , i was very glad to hear the concert just got started . As i walked to the venue chairs in their garden turned lovely auditorium, i sat with a small crowd with artists like savita narasimhan, ranjani sivakumar , girija shankar sundaresan and also patrons like musiri grandson and ramnad krishnan son . Also the founder of this sabha Aishwarya Shankar and her appa Dr Shankar were all there. The vainika was playing the saraswathi veena.

As i settled i thought it was in the zone of neelambari , did not identify the krithi only towards end when Dr Shankar gave vote of thanks i knew the neelambari krithi. Neealambari has a special muse other than the little lullaby,It has a very distinct rasa and prayogams and to start with neelambari is brilliant to me. The krithi was neither identified by me or the vidwaan who was seatted next to me.

The next was an alapana , both me and vidwan seated next thought for first 5 seconds was nayaki , but it was the lovely darbar krithi of mundu venuga . Darbar needs a little heavier assertion and her pluck showed a contrast from little softer neealambari to a bit terse darbar .Mundu venuga was played very well.

The next 3 were in the cluster of bit excessive same rasa overlap. Saaveri was very well done , i did not identify the krithi and the artists never announed the krithi. I took the help of vidwan and he said Etu Nammina of patnam. I forgot this krithi or may be i have never heard this krithi ever. Saaveri majestic serene was in my opinion was overlapped another raga of fairly the same rasa when next song came up .

The devagandhari was well done and the musiri famous krithi of na moralimpa was intense and deeply classical . Poorvikalyani alapana was taken next felt may be a contrast of saveri and devagandhari and then a poorvikalyani could have been avoided . But the krithi ananda natamaduvar thillai was a lovery contrast , kind of outlier to other krithis of poorvikalyani . Semmangudi flash was there in neelakanta sivan ananda nadumaduvaar and jayashree got a lot of aesthetic muse. Semmangudi must have taught this filler to KSN that perhaps came as a semmangudi school number to me . The bhogeendra sayinam in kuntalavarali was a great contrast and did kept me intensey engaged .

I guessed the main as bhairavi and indeed bhairavi came in. She played very well . Some vaggeyakkaras have even challenged the trinities like say karthikeya kangeya in todi where sivan gave greater or atleast near equal muse to trinity. This nee paadamule of Patnam is almost as great as a typical T or MD krihi of bhairavi. .The intermediate taanam was a madhyamakaalam squat , she could have used the lovely percussion team with a ragamaliga but she did not. Two vaitheeswaran kovil subbarama iyer padam/javalis was perhaps showcasing her second guru T brinda . The last SS krithi in punnAgavarali bought tears to my eyes what a lovely play with kanakashaila. She ended with a brief alapana of madhyamavati.

what can one say about Praveen sparsh . HE is grand son of Tanjore upendran who is from PMI lineage that is his layam in his blood. But in play ,He learnt from guruvayoor dorai and that brings the Pudukottai -PSP lineage . He has extraordinary sunaadam and he has really lovely speed . No anavsiya theermanams or definitely no korvai to rob any of the krithis beauty. He was the man/woman of the match. Trichy Murali played exceptionally well, he came in as shadow without dropping or passing the laya baton to mrudu angam. Theri tani was really apt and very rich in sound quality.

I was surprised that a veena concert did not have the prime veena vaggeyakkkara Muttuswami Dikshitar . I was seated next to Girija Shankar where most of the time we were absorbed with such pristine music. The venue is lovely with right sound adjustments by sound engineer - tirunaavakkuarasu. Aishwarya dad Dr shankar gave a short vote of thanks, He was crisp and really went ga ga which we all did in the audience .As i walked out towards alwarpet bridge i could hear a kalyana mantapam with noisy sound , i wish none of the sound interruptions happen to this lovely garden converted sabha. Let this blossom as a raagasudha -madhuradhwani in the future. I am a big fan of punnAgavarAli kanagashaila and a main in bhairavi makes my day much better than most of the ghana ragams.

How a matured very elder artist like this vainika jayashree pairs with such a bubbly youngster like Praveen with a right coupling by madhyamakalam aged vidwan Trichy Murali . This presents both the past and future of CM . We need patrons like Dr Shankar to start at sharp 6pm. i went home before 9pm, no second tani at home. Watch out for Praveen Sparsh, i get the same near joy of say Arjun Ganesh or Ananta R krishnan. I am told Jayashree is from bangalore , but while googling she says she is teaching in Isha Yoga in coimbatore. That means she is surely not a resident of Madras.

Incidentally this vainika did not announce even one ragam or krithi, perhaps she follows in principle ini enna Pechirukku.

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 20 mins inclusive of 5 mins vote of thanks

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In the last few years we are having very very poor traffic to Rasikas.I was just thinking by providing an url with a 4 liner , rasikas or artists if they choose can take it and post it in whatsapp/Facebook with below 4 liner. Let us see if this drives better traffic.

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

----------------------------------------------
Jayashree Aravind- Veena
Praveen Sparsh - Mrudangam
Trichy Murali - Ghatam
Review is in below link

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=377304#p377304

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Rajesh, an exhaustive effort from you 🙏
Vid Jayashree Aravind is the music teacher at Isha foundation of Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev. I have heard her a few times and she is sedate and tuneful.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I am sure she is mature, and, indeed, know so, having seen her several times, but I cannot let her be called "very elder!" She is nowhere near elder, let alone very --- despite having grey hair. She may be older than you, Rajesh, but she is surely much younger than me! I'll settle for "very senior" :)

I had been hoping to make it to that concert too, but could not go. I have not been to SunaadaLahari since beginning of covid. Hope to see it again soon.

Jayashree is a performer of the no-fuss, no-drama kind: just beautiful music.

Praveen has been my favourite younger-generation mridangist for some time now. Very sensitive, very musical. He is a student of Guruvayur Dorai.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Thanks for a review befitting the performance and the venue. I hope to hear her sometime and also be at the venue which all of you favor. Hoping, yes, hoping to be there for Gobilalitha's memorial concerts, God willing.

Sachi,
I have also heard Praveen play several times over the years and have liked his sound and style. Coming from me, a novice rasikA in laya, one can guess that it's not about noise or ati tIVrak kaNakku but about sunAda. He also has a pleasing presence on stage.

Nick,
You missed the vINA and the accompanists. Your favored venue too.

Rajesh,
nA morAlalagimpavEmi is a dEvagAndhAri kriti which I love for the pathos in it.