venkatakailasam

KB Sundarambal

Post by venkatakailasam »

please see the following links..

KB Sundarambal and SG Kittappa

http://murugan.org/bhaktas/k.b.sunderambal.htm

karunanidhiyin vasanathai edirtha KBS..

http://murugan.org/tamil/sundarambal-2.tamil.htm

Some of her songs converted as video by me..

1) KB Sundarambal-Adikondar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs9SjoVaRHI
2) KB Sundarambal sings an Iyappa....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8vOThonWQ
3) Sloka Sri Subramanyam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvDInrKPn60
4) Skandar Anubuthi....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALrqHtz8sZo

5) Sarana kamalalaythi oru nimisha neramattil...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDO2APJt-5Y

Shivadasan

Re: KB Sundarambal

Post by Shivadasan »

Those interested in F.G.Natesa Aiyer, who discovered K.B.Sudarambal can go through Sruti March 2012 issue which has two articles on him.

The same article has been reproduced in full in Madras Musings APRIL 1-15, 2012 issue, vide http://madrasmusings.com/remembering-fgn.html

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

VKailasam _ Nice uploads of KBS !!!

Have a request- Can u please locate the following tamil song whose charanam is :

vElai piditha denna ! valli nindrudu enna ||

I have heard this song sung by KBS..........she making nereval at this charanam....... enna.......enna.......enna vElai........ valli..........etc

After ur final touches it can be u/l in Youtube.

Many thanks in advance.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

vs_manjunath:

Hope you are referring to "tanittirundu vAzhum tavamaNiyE".
Part I of this song is No.4 at page 1 in this link:-
http://www.in.com/music/artist/k-b-sund ... 743-1.html
Part II is at No.7 on page 3.

This site has almost all songs by K.B.Sundarambal!

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Pratyaksham Bala _- Thank you so very much for the link.

As a boy of 7 years, i had heard this song (only once) sung by KBS live in Bangalore City Institute Ramanavami Concert.

Since, the lyrics are so touching and moving i wanted to hear it again.

I am so happy to have enjoyed this song today after 55 years !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

PB, you are truly amazing! Thank you!

venkatakailasam

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

VK - Thanks !

rshankarji- pl help with lyrics and meaning

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Dr. Manjunath, please give me a couple of days to listen to the clip for the words and post the meaning.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Surprise! This song was composed by Anayampatti Adisesha Iyer:-
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2534 ... am-p2.html
Only P, AP and C3 is covered in KBS version.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

PB- our postings crossed over. Thanks for the lyrics.
rshankarji- My request for meaning stands. We have all the time in the world !!! Pl take your own time........absolutely no hurry.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Dr. Manjunath - here you go - it looks like the last caraNam was the only one that was used in the movie:

pallavi
tanittirundu vAzhum meit-tavamaNiyE endan daNDapANi deivamE tannai arindu

Oh true (mei) gem (maNiyE) among ascetics (tava), my (endan) Lord (deivamE) who holds a staff (daNDam) in his hands (pANi), after having understood/realized (arindu) yourself (tannai), you reside (vAzhum) (in pazhani) by yourself/all alone (tanittirundu) [1].

anupallavi
anitya vAzhvu tanilE aDiyEn miga aluttu uzhaitta janmam pOdum pOdum ini (tanittirundu…)

At this time/anymore (ini), I have had enough (pOdum pOdum) of this ephemeral (anitya) life (vAzhvu), a life (janmam) where I (aDiyEn) have toiled (uzhaitta) (for so long that) I am very (miga) tired/weary/fatigued (alutta) (my Lord, who is the true gem among ascetics…).

caraNam1
vignyAna kalai tEDi vEndar mAndarODu viLaiyATTilE magizhat-tagumO tagumO
ini mei gnyAnamE viLambAi mEniyellAm silirkka agnyAnamE vilakki aruL inbam tandALum (tanittirundu…)

Is it appropriate (tagumO tagumO) for the gods (vEndar) to delight (magizha) in playing games (viLaiyATTilE) with (ODu) mortals (mAndar) who are in pursuit (tEDi) of true knowledge (vignyAna kalai) [2]? (My lord, who is the true gem among ascetics, is the one) who will, henceforth (ini), remove (vilakki) my ignorance (agnyAnamE), and make my entire (ellAm) skin (mEni) break out in goose-bumps (silirkka), as he makes true (mei) knowledge (gyAnamE) alone issue forth in my speech (viLambAi), and admits me into his grace (ALum) by granting (tandu) me the bliss (inbam) of his blessings (aruL).

caraNam 2
vaLLi orutti irukka vAnulagin melli arugil irukka
vENDi ninra tuLLi ADum paNit-tOgai mayilirukka
eLLi nagaippadenna kOvaNam pUNDu (tanittirundu…)

When you have that woman (orutti) vaLLi (vaLLi), and that other slim beauty (melli) from the kingdom of the gods (vAnulagin) [3] by your side (arugil irukka), and when you (irukka) a beautiful (tOgai) peacock (mayil) that prances (tuLLi) and dances (ADum) standing (ninra) (beside you) of its own desire (vENDi), at your beck and call (paNi), why are you smiling (nagaipadenna) so derisively (eLLi), wearing (pUNDu) a loin-cloth (kOvaNam)?

caraNam 3
veNNIr aNindadenna vElaip-piDittu kaN mUDi ninradenna kAviyuDutti
paNDAramAi ninra pazhaniyANDiyAgi daNDAyudham dharitta dEva dEva dEvA (tanittirundu…)

Why (enna) have you adorned yourself (aNindadu) with vibhUti (veNNIr)? Why do you stand (ninradu) here with your eyes (kaN) closed (mUDi) holding (piDittu) a spear (vElai)? Why do you stand here wearing (uDutti) saffron robes (kAvi)? My Lord (dEvA), who stands (ninra) like a monk (paNDAramAi), having become (Agi) a Saivaite mendicant (ANDi) in pazhani, wielding (dharitta) a staff (daNDa) for a weapon (Ayudham), (the true gem among ascetics…).

FOOTNOTES
[1] The composition is on Lord murugA in pazhani – the myth is a follow-up to the story where a fruit is offered as a prize to the child that gets around the world first – muruga sets off on his peacock to fly around the material world, secure in his pride that his brother, on a tiny bandicoot would never be able to beat him – when he arrives back in kailAS, he is just in time to see Siva hand the fruit over to gaNESa. muruga demands to know how it was possible for gaNESa to win the contest – he is told that gaNESa chose to go around his parents, who were the world as far as he was concerned. murugA thinks that he was tricked and takes off to a hill by himself, in a huff, renouncing the world, wearing just a loin cloth and holding a stick. pArvati pacifies him, by offering her spear (vEl), and assuring him that he did not need a fruit, for, he was the fruit (of his devotees prayers) himself. It is thought that the hill where he took off to came to be called pazhani after this declaration (i.e., pazham (fruit) nI (you are) – pazhanI)
[2] Very interesting (and gratifying) to note that the word vignyAna in tamizh can denote both 'true knowledge' and science!
[3] The beauty from the kingdom of the gods is dEvasEnA, the adopted daughter of indra

smala

Post by smala »

What a find! Thanks To PBala for the audio and the lyrics find and to rshankar for the quick turnaround translation.

Above all, to Sri Manjunath for directing me to this song which made this simple Vishu-nothing-in-the-West day a better one. I can see how the neraval and her awesome singing made a lasting impact in your tender years.

smala

Post by smala »

This song made me wonder how pandAram took on -ve connotation... as well as Andi-Agarathu.

smala

Post by smala »

Sri VKailasam, if you could upload on youtube combining the split parts of thanittirundu vAzhum from the audio link by PB - would be a great help.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankarji- Thanks Very Much for providing meaning to this song so quickly !!! Now listening this song with ur added meaning will be much more enjoyable.

smala- one more soul enjoyed my pick....... i am happy Vishu became enjoyable due to this song...

kudos to rasikas.org

venkatakailasam

Part II is not downloadable from In com..

I was able to get the full song and replaced the earlier one...

Thanithirundhu-Smt. KB Sundarambal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tyBaGDt5w

venkatakailasam

A musical journey, relived ..

An article by Shri. B. Kolappan...
" Driven by gruelling poverty in the early 1900s, a mother along with her three children was walking towards river Cauvery.

Realising where their journey would end, the eldest among the children, a girl, convinced her mother about the meaningless of ending their lives, arguing that they could overcome their ordeal one day. What would have drowned in river Cauvery was the rags-to-the riches story of Kodumudi Balambal Sundarambal, who went on to rule the world of music, theatre and cinema as K.B. Sundarambal. "

read more at
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/t ... epage=true

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Thanks for the link.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I AM GLAD KBS is being discussed & recognised in this forum after all these years. ANOTHER of the GREATS who used to have two concerts per year in the Madras Sabhas. I ACTUALLY attended a KBS CONCERT in Hindu HS in Triplicane (Parthasarathy Swami Sabha) where she said in rebuttal to the secy that she would sing at least for 4 hours or more as she had only TWO CHANCES per year to sing in Madras Sabhas!....VKV

venkatakailasam

Trichy and was born in 1907 on the wrong side of the tracks in abject poverty. As the legend goes she was left with no option than to resort to begging, singing for alms and copper coins in running trains in and around Trichy
Indeed if a move song which became a popular with this class of beggars it came to be known in Tamil as 'Picchakaran pāttu!' (songs fit for beggars!) One such song ‘ ayyA siru pEN Ezhaiyin pAl…’ " sung by the well-known Madras socialite, singer and actress Tanguturi Suryakumari in the hit film " Adrishtam" (1939) was extremely popular with the begging class in South India.
Even as a little girl Sundarambal was blessed with the natural feel and flair for music and possessed an excellent voice. Her voice had an astonishingly wide range absolutely fascinating even though it was totally untrained. It was so malleable that she could reach high octaves with seemingly effortless ease which even trained classical Carnatic musicians found it difficult to achieve. Dame Destiny smiled on the little girl when she was discovered while singing and begging on trains by a South Indian Railway official of Trichy, an amateur stage actor, impresario, talent - scout, and play producer, F. G. Natesa Iyer.
Natesa Iyer was thrilled to the core by the voice of the poor girl, her singing skills, and feel and fair for music. Without much ado he took her under his wing and introduced her to Tamil theatre. Success came seeking Sundarambal fast thanks to her musical talents. Her stage plays like "Valli Thirumanam", "Pavalakodi", "Harishchandra" and others were great hits during those days.
It was while she toured Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) that she met S.G. Kittappa.
The couple became a major draw and came to be treated soon as cult figures. Soon they took part in the Indian Freedom Movement and were ardent patriots and supporters of the Indian National Congress party..
கிட்டப்பா வாழ்விலும் விதி விளையாடியது.
27 வயதிலேயே கடுமையான வயிற்றுவலி. குடல் வெந்து ஈரல் சுருங்கி.....1933-இல் அகால மரணம் எய்தினார்.
சேதி கேட்டுத் துடித்த அந்த முருக பக்தை அன்று பூண்டாள் துறவுக் கோலம்..
யாருக்கும் ஜோடியாய் நடிக்க மாட்டேன் என்ற பல நிபந்தனைகளோடு, நந்தனாராக ஆண் வேடம் கட்டி நடிக்க ஒப்புக் கொண்டார்.
பின்பு, வரிசையாகப் படங்கள்.
மணிமேகலை, ஒளவையார், பூம்புகார், திருவிளையாடல், கந்தன் கருணை, துணைவன், காரைக்கால் அம்மையார், கடைசியாக திருமலைத் தெய்வம்.
ஏழுமலை இருக்க நமக்கென்ன மனக்கவலை?-ன்னு மனக் கவலையோடவே பாடிய அந்தப் பேதை உள்ளம்.....புற்று நோயால் 1980-இல் அணைந்து போனது.

This story is slightly different from that of Hindu story referred above...

She was endowed with a very high-pitched, crisp and weighty voice that could effortlessly traverse three octaves. Her expression and pronunciation were crystal clear and exuded the bhava and rasa of the song...

concert 47-KB Sundarambal

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/31fB3-lV/con ... bal_1.html
01-vAtApi_gaNapatim_bhajEham-hamsadhvani
02-Sarana kamalalaythi oru nimisha neramattil-Smt. KB Sundarambal
03-ennagAnu_rAma_bhajana-kAmavardhini
04_Idaiyaratha-Bakthi_Shanmugapriya
05_Kanda Unnai Naan-Goula
07_Sarojadalanetri_Shankarabharanam_Aadi_ShyamaShastry_Taniavartanam

Concert 203- KB Sundarambal

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/x6sy3wa ... rambal.mp3

001-moolAdhAra_murthE_hamsadwani_pApanasam_sivan –Part
002-Entha-Ruchira_Mohanam
003-Paadukinren
004-Engirunthalum_Devamanohari
005-Iyappa song
006-Sloka Sri Subramanyam-
007-Skandar Anubuthi

K.B. Sundarambal with husband S.G. Kittappa.Photo : Special Arrangement.
Courtesy : The Hindu

010-Gandhi oru parama ezhai-KB Sundarambal...

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d3uwlqb ... rambal.mp3

Do not miss this one..

02-Mayateeta_swaroopini-Mayamalavagaula.KB Sundarambal..

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/em5h4zv ... agaula.mp3
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 15 Nov 2014, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Venkatakailsam sir
I just heard mayateeta , nice rendition with a lot of controlled aggression - for the first few minutes not sure if the singer is a male or a female. I can perhaps see a chitoor subramania pillai- madurai somu influence in her music and also the other song list that you put. KBS has such a strong voice. Thank you for the rare gem.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri VK Avl,
Thanx for the Excellent links.
Thanjavooran
16 11 2014

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Sri VKV Avl--Thanks for reviving nostalgia--I had heard that she was well to do in her later life--lands etc.My uncle used to tell me that he had never missed any of the SGK-KBS plays in the Wall tax Theatre--SGK himself being from Shencottah(tirunelveli Dst) our family had good connections to SGK and his brother Kasi Iyer--lots of stories about how SGK in his inebriated state would insult KBS--he used to call her disparagingly as "Kodumuidi Kurathi)--Despte this KBS was one of the most LOYAL persons and despite her own prodigious talent and voice used to be in awe of SGK.Her life literally ended with the death of SGK(he was all of 28 years when he died) and she led an exemplary austere life.

I owe a lot to SGK for my musical education-I used to practice his Kodayile umpteen # of times and without being unduly modest can do a decent imitation of that Viruttam!!!!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR,.
THANKS for your excellent recollections.....I STILL get excited about Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer's statement about SG KITTAPPA saying we musicians were LUCKY SGK went to theatre instead of concert platform! The very scanty recordings clearly give a glimpse of HIS GENIUS& GREATNESS...Similarly we have only S.Srinivasa Iyer's recollections of Maduai Pushpavanam Iyer....Anda Nalum Vandiodatho.....VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

VKV: Just to add a note to indicate how the contemporary musicians(like MV you have quoted) were scared that SGK would take to the concert platform..

My fascination or infatuation with SGK started when I was in Presidency College- I was staying with my aunt in Mandaveli. Her husband (my chithappa )was from Shencottah and knew SGK's family very well. he virtually "indoctrinated" into me SGK's songs which he knew by heart. I learnt all the songs from him and I have a full casssette tape of SGK's hits(which unfortunately is in very bad shape(more than 40 years old) and needs resurrection.
At that time I used to pester all the musicians SSI,GNB as to what was SGK's music like in their opinion. GNB the true liberal that he was gave high marks to SGK's flair verve and boldness. When I put this question to SSI, his reply was in Tamil" Avan padinale engal vayathil puliyai karaiikum:-- Loose translation: Our stomachs would literally churn with fear when he sings praying that SGK may not take to the concert stage in which case their livelihoods would be seriously threatened!!!!
My favorites,Nee Bhajana Gana(Kambodhi),Saravana Bhava(Kalyani),Ellorum Polave(Suddha Saveri),Ulagam pugazhum uttama Penmani(Hamsanandhi) and the ragamalika Maha Sukrita Roopa Sundari,Madhi Vadaniye,Punithamai,Geethathamu(suruti),Ragasudha(andolika). After coming home from Presidency College myself and my uncle would sing together loud enough for neighbors to complain about(we lived in the small lane opp to P.S.High School). After 60 years I can still "reproduce" sgk's music thanks to the Asura Sadakam!!!!

NOW YOU KNOW WHY I DID NOT PAY THE ATTENTION PHYSICS DESERVED!! I hope you accept this "alibi"!!!!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR,
In retrospect I feel YOU made the better choice between Physics& Carnatic Music esp. considering MUSICIANS OF THE CALIBER OF SGK as well as the musicians of the Golden ERA of Carnatic Music!....Einstein has clearly proved so far that like SIVAN FOLLOWING THE TRINITY he was next only to Newton & we may have to wait another at least FEW centuries for another epoch making Physicist....VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Excellent thread. Thanks for your memories VKV and MKR.

I remember an old EP gramophone version of ellorayum polave in suddha saveri that used to play in my house for several years well into the 70s. I can only imagine that that the "plate" (as it was called in those days), must have been over 40 years old even then.

I have heard a lot about KBS from my grandfather, Kalpathi Ramanathan who accompanied her for a number of years between 1933-45. After SGK's passing, she stopped giving theatrical performances and focused as a concert artiste for quite some time. In this golden period, she is known to have a public reach and crowd-pulling abilities that rivalled NCV and the trinity of MSS, DKP and MLV (although the latter is a good bit their junior). I am told that she sang amazing alapanais of kambhoji with torrential brighas.

Then in the late 1940s she returned to the theatre, although very little stage work and focused quite heavily on musical cinema, which is what she is best known for today. I think her CM stage involvement probably ended around the early independence years.

My grandfather told me that a very young Parur Anantharaman participated in some cinema music directing, specifically for the KBS parts in Avvayyar in the early 50s. VKV/MKR, can either of you confirm this?

cacm

Post by cacm »

He was involved in music directing but I am not sure of his Avvaiyar movie involvement. Incidentally MSG used to accompany KBS with some regularity in Madras Sabha Concerts. Kalpathi Ramanathan used to be in a similar position to Vellore Ramabhadran in that ALL THE MAJOR ARTISTS wanted him to be the mridangist as he was able to make the concert a success almost always......VKV

harimau

Post by harimau »

mahavishnu wrote:
My grandfather told me that a very young Parur Anantharaman participated in some cinema music directing, specifically for the KBS parts in Avvayyar in the early 50s. VKV/MKR, can either of you confirm this?
There are/were two Parur Anantharaman's. "Gemini" Anantharaman is the cousin of M S Anantharaman, the violinist. He was employed in the orchestra at Gemini Studio and hence known as "Gemini" Anantharaman. Sri M S Anantharaman has told me that through this cousin he got part-time employment at Gemini Studio. That also led him to play for some songs in the movie Meera.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Harimau. I learned something new today.

venkatakailasam

KB Sundarambal and Shri Karunanidhi...
கலைஞர் கருணாநிதி திரைக்கதை-வசனம் எழுதிய படம் பூம்புகார்...
இந்தப் படத்தில், கவுந்தி அடிகளாக நடிக்க, கே.பி சுந்தராம்பாள் தான் சரியானவர் என்பது கலைஞரின் எண்ணம். கண்ணகி-கோவலனுக்கு வழித்துணையாக வரும் சமணப் பெண் துறவி = கவுந்தி அடிகள்.

இளங்கோவடிகளின் கதையையே, தனக்கு ஏற்றவாறு, அங்கொன்றும் இங்கொன்றுமாய் மாற்றிக் கொண்ட கலைஞர், சுந்தராம்பாளை நடிக்க வைக்க மட்டும் பெரும்பாடு பட்டார்.

என்ன தான் அப்போதைய முன்னணி வசனகர்த்தா, கலைஞர் வசனத்தில் நடிப்பதே பெரிய பெருமை என்று பேசப்பட்டாலும், அதெல்லாம் யாருக்கு? யாசிப்பவன் இருந்தால் தானே, கொடுப்பவனுக்குப் பெருமை. இங்கே சுந்தராம்பாள் தான் யாசிக்கும் நிலைமையிலேயே இல்லையே.

பழுத்த முருக பக்தை. "சமணத் துறவியாக எப்படி நடிப்பேன்? மேலும் தான் பாடுவதோ விடுதலை இயக்க மேடை...எப்படி பகுத்தறிவுப் பாசறையில்...அதுவும் கருணாநிதியின் வசனத்தில்?"

இப்படியெல்லாம் சுந்தராம்பாள் கருத,

கலைஞரோ, கட்சிக்காக அல்ல, பகுத்தறிவுக்காக அல்ல ...தமிழுக்காக என்று சொல்ல...அம்மையாரும் தமிழுக்காகவே ஒப்புக் கொண்டார். ஆனால், பல நிபந்தனைகளோடு.

சுந்தராம்பாளைப் பிற்பாடு சரி செய்து கொள்ளலாம் என்பது கலைஞரின் கணக்கு. ஆனால் வந்தது வேறு வினை - கருணாநிதிக்கு?

காதல்-கணவர் மறைந்த பின், நெற்றியில் பூசிக் கொள்ளும் திருநீற்றை, மேக்-அப்புக்காகக் கூட அழிக்க மாட்டேன் என்று அம்மையார் உறுதியாக நிற்க...

கருணாநிதியோ, "அம்மா, கவுந்தியடிகள் என்பவர் சமணர், இது பாத்திரத்துக்கு ஒட்டாதே" என்று கெஞ்ச......

கற்பனை செய்து பாருங்கள்....கலைஞர் மு கருணாநிதி அவர்கள் கெஞ்சுவதை...வெற்றிகரமான வசனகர்த்தா, ஒரு சீனில் வந்து போகும் பெண்மணியிடம்...இத்தனை விண்ணப்பம்.

பின்னர், செட்டில் வேறு ஒருவர் கொடுத்த யோசனையின் பேரில்...

பட்டையாக விபூதி போட்டுக் கொள்ளாமல்.......

திருநீற்றையே மெல்லீசா, ஒத்தையாக....நாமம் போல் போட்டுக் கொண்டு....

அப்படியே நடித்தும் பாடியும் கொடுத்தார் சுந்தராம்பாள். இன்றும் சினிமாவில் கவுந்தி அடிகளைப் பார்த்தால், ஒற்றை நாமம் தரித்தது போலவே இருக்கும்.

இதோடு முடியவில்லை கலைஞரின் கணக்குகள்....

அன்று கொல்லும் அரசின் ஆணை வென்று விட்டது,

நின்று கொல்லும் தெய்வம் எங்கே சென்று விட்டது?- என்று சிலப்பதிகாரத்தில் கூடப் "பகுத்தறிவு"ப் பாணியில் கேலியாக எழுத...

இறைவனைக் கேலி செய்யும் வரியைப் பாட மாட்டேன் என்று மறுத்து விட்டார் சுந்தராம்பாள்.

இறைவனை, "இல்லை" என்று மறுதலிக்கவே மாட்டேன் என்று அம்மையார் சொல்லிவிட...

வேறு வழியில்லாமல் கலைஞரும் - நின்று கொல்லும் தெய்வம் இங்கே வந்து விட்டது. என்று பாட்டையே மாற்றிக் கொடுத்தார் )

கலைஞரையே மடக்கிய கேபி சுந்தராம்பாள் நினைவலைகள்...
Listen to this song: Andru Kollum..KBS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LVRmw1-GY

Transliteration:

KB Sundarambal and Shri Karunanidhi...
kalai~nar karuNAnidi tiraikkadai-vasanam ezhudiya paDam pUmbugAr...
indap paDattil, kavundi aDigaLAga naDikka, kE.pi sundarAmbAL tAn sariyAnavar enbadu kalai~narin eNNam. kaNNagi-kOvalanukku vazhittuNaiyAga varum samaNap peN tuRavi = kavundi aDigaL.

iLa#ngOvaDigaLin kadaiyaiyE, tanakku ETRavARu, a#ngonRum i#ngonRumAy mATRik koNDa kalai~nar, sundarAmbALai naDikka vaikka maTTum perumbADu paTTAr.

enna tAn appOdaiya munnaNi vasanagarttA, kalai~nar vasanattil naDippadE periya perumai enRu pEsappaTTAlum, adellAm yArukku? yAsippavan irundAl tAnE, koDuppavanukkup perumai. i#ngE sundarAmbAL tAn yAsikkum nilaimaiyilEyE illaiyE.

pazhutta muruga pakdai. "samaNat tuRaviyAga eppaDi naDippEn? mElum tAn pADuvadO viDudalai iyakka mEDai...eppaDi paguttaRivup pAsaRaiyil...aduvum karuNAnidiyin vasanattil?"

ippaDiyellAm sundarAmbAL karuda,

kalai~narO, kaTsikkAga alla, paguttaRivukkAga alla ...tamizhukkAga enRu solla...ammaiyArum tamizhukkAgavE oppuk koNDAr. AnAl, pala nibandanaigaLODu.

sundarAmbALaip piRbADu sari seydu koLLalAm enbadu kalai~narin kaNakku. AnAl vandadu vERu vinai - karuNAnidikku?

kAdal-kaNavar maRainda pin, neTRiyil pUsik koLLum tirunITRai, mEk-appukkAgak kUDa azhikka mATTEn enRu ammaiyAr uRudiyAga niRga...

karuNAnidiyO, "ammA, kavundiyaDigaL enbavar samaNar, idu pAttirattukku oTTAdE" enRu ke~nja......

kaRbanai seydu pAru#ngaL....kalai~nar mu karuNAnidi avargaL ke~njuvadai...veTRigaramAna vasanagarttA, oru sInil vandu pOgum peNmaNiyiDam...ittanai viNNappam.

pinnar, seTTil vERu oruvar koDutta yOsanaiyin pEril...

paTTaiyAga vibUdi pOTTuk koLLAmal.......

tirunITRaiyE mellIsA, ottaiyAga....nAmam pOl pOTTuk koNDu....

appaDiyE naDittum pADiyum koDuttAr sundarAmbAL. inRum sinimAvil kavundi aDigaLaip pArttAl, oTRai nAmam tarittadu pOlavE irukkum.

idODu muDiyavillai kalai~narin kaNakkugaL....

anRu kollum arasin ANai venRu viTTadu,

ninRu kollum teyvam e#ngE senRu viTTadu?- enRu silappadigArattil kUDap "paguttaRivu"p pANiyil kEliyAga ezhuda...

iRaivanaik kEli seyyum variyaip pADa mATTEn enRu maRuttu viTTAr sundarAmbAL.

iRaivanai, "illai" enRu maRudalikkavE mATTEn enRu ammaiyAr solliviDa...

vERu vazhiyillAmal kalai~narum - ninRu kollum teyvam i#ngE vandu viTTadu. enRu pATTaiyE mATRik koDuttAr )

kalai~naraiyE maDakkiya kEbi sundarAmbAL ninaivalaigaL...
Listen to this song: Andru Kollum..KBS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7LVRmw1-GY

venkatakailasam

ரவா தோசை வரும் வரை ரயில் நின்றது ..

பட்டுக்கோட்டை வெங்கிடுசுப்பையா சுவாமிகளின் நூற்றாண்டு குருபூஜை விழா 23.9.1973ல் நடந்தது. அதில் கோகிலவாணி இசை அரசி கே.பி சுந்தராம்பாள் இன்னிசை நிகழ்ச்சி நடைபெற்றது. அற்புதமான இசை மழை.

மறுநாள் சென்னை செல்ல தஞ்சை புகைவண்டி நிலையத்திற்கு (Day Express) அழைத்துச் சென்றேன். புகைவண்டி நிலையம் சென்றதும் கே.பி.சுந்தராம்பாள் காலை, மாலை சாப்பிடுவதற்கு தஞ்சை சரவண பவன் ஹோட்டலிலிருந்து நான்கு ரவா தோசை வாங்கி வருமாறு கூறினார்.

புகைவண்டி புறப்பட 15 நிமிடம் தானே இருக்கிறது என்றேன். அதைப் பற்றி நீ கவலைப்பட வேண்டாம். நீ வாங்கி வா என்றார். தவிர்க்க முடியாமல் சரவண பவன் சென்று அவர் விரும்பிய ரவா தோசையை வாங்கி வர 40 நிமிடங்கள் ஆகிவிட்டது. ஆனால் ரயில் நிலையம் வந்து பார்த்தால் ஆச்சர்யம்! புகைவண்டி நிலையத்தில் நீண்ட வரிசையில் நின்று மக்கள் அவரிடம் விபூதி வாங்கிக் கொண்டு நின்றார்கள். ரவா தோசை வந்ததும் ரயில் புறப்பட்டது.

- ரெ. சண்முகம், பட்டுக்கோட்டை

http://www.dinamani.com/margazhi-isai-t ... 555064.ece

paTTukkOTTai ve#ngiDusuppaiyA suvAmigaLin nUTRANDu kurubUjai vizhA 23.9.1973l naDandadu. adil kOgilavANi isai arasi kE.pi sundarAmbAL innisai nigazhcci naDaibeTRadu. aRbudamAna isai mazhai.

maRunAL sennai sella ta~njai pugaivaNDi nilaiyattiRgu (Day Express) azhaittuc senREn. pugaivaNDi nilaiyam senRadum kE.pi.sundarAmbAL kAlai, mAlai sAppiDuvadaRgu ta~njai saravaNa pavan hOTTalilirundu nAngu ravA tOsai vA#ngi varumARu kURinAr.

pugaivaNDi puRappaDa 15 nimiDam tAnE irukkiRadu enREn. adaip paTRi nI kavalaippaDa vENDAm. nI vA#ngi vA enRAr. tavirkka muDiyAmal saravaNa pavan senRu avar virumbiya ravA tOsaiyai vA#ngi vara 40 nimiDa#ngaL AgiviTTadu. AnAl rayil nilaiyam vandu pArttAl Accaryam! pugaivaNDi nilaiyattil nINDa varisaiyil ninRu makkaL avariDam vibUdi vA#ngik koNDu ninRArgaL. ravA tOsai vandadum rayil puRappaTTadu.

- re. saNmugam, paTTukkOTTai

Ramasubramanian M.K

Venkatakailasam: Nice story!! I admire your steadfastness and sincerity in posting such "gems" OF stories!!MAY YOUR TRIBE INCREASE!!

Despite all the riches that she(KBS) had and the fame and popularity,the Lady was a true samaritan!!!
i HAVE HEARD STORIES IN MY FAMILY CIRCLES THAT SGK WAS NOT SO GRACIOUS IN TREATING HER DESPITE HER UNSTINTED DEVOTION BUT SHE NEVER WAVERED IN HER RESPECT AND ADMIRATION.hER SAINTLY LIFE FOR OVER 40 YEARS SINCE SGK'S DEMISE WAS EXEMPLARY.sOME OF THE ACCOMPANISTS WHO ACCOMPANIED IN HER CONCERTS HAVE TOLD ME HOW GENEROUS SHE WAS TOWARDS THEM.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share from my friend Shri Kannan
SUNDARAMBAL

I can fill in many stories on KBS.
Here is one such story that took place when my father was Station Master at Kodumudi.
KBS reached faraway places from Kodumudi to give performances motoring down in her Fiat Car, driven mostly by her nephews.

On one occasion, when her car broke down, she decided to take the train route to Madurai. She was engaging herself in animated conversation with my father at Kodumudi Railway Station, awaiting arrival of the train. When trying to board the train, she suddenly found her medicine chest missing. She informed my father who in turn alerted the guard. A known friend sprinted all the way down the road to her residence a kilometre away and came back carrying the small medicine chest in around 20 minutes.

The guard kept holding the red flag on his hand throughout. He changed to green signal on sighting the medicine chest and the train slowly moved out of the platform.

It was "Rava Dosai' in your story and the 'chest of medicines' in my story.

Buses,Trains, Time and Tide, why even "VADIVELUM MAYILUM" were at KBS's beck and call those days!

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Thanjavooran,
I was excited to read your story about KBS.I have been impressed & admire anything you write on this forum. PLEASE write on anything you care to about these giants who lived & moved in our midst. As you know TNR JUST USED TO PULL THE RED CHAIN& got out of the train near his house! The VALUES of persons of those years I yearn for the Precious memories of those days.....VKV

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri VKV,
Thanx. Here is one more from Shri Kannan.
A Ball Badminton Tournament was on one evening in the late Fifties at Kodumudi, at the playground just opposite the Railway Station, where my father was Station Master at that time, between two prominent Teams of the District - Karur Team and Kodumudi Team which was captained by a nephew of KBS. Those days, this native sport of South India which originated in Thanjavur during Raja Serfoji days, was very popular.

Each Team consisted of five players and the nephew of KBS played at the Centre for his Team. It was a thriller. Each Team had taken a set. The final set was in progress when the hoots of the horn from KBS's Fiat Car parked in the frontage of the Station, disturbed the still atmosphere and also the concentration of the players. KBS was sitting in the car. She had to reach Palani Hills to give a performance on the Praharam of the Hills and hence she signaled the urgency by hooting the horn.

The nephew at the Centre of the court relayed diplomatically to his Athai through a spectator that he was struggling to take the final set and that he would be back at the wheel in 10 minutes. The messenger boy came back with a 'Vibhuthi" pottalam and asked the nephew to smear the Holy Ash on his forehead with a message from KBS that "Palani Andavan stood by his side".

Kodumudi Team clinched the game in its favour in a photo-finish!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Thanjavooran: Thrilling story!!Where would this FORUM be without contributors like YOU and where would WE ALL would be if we did not have a platform for "airing"(should I say "digitalising" to be "digitally" correct!!!) our reminiscences which might have gone unnarrated!!!
KBS did not "preach" devotion,sincerity and charity--SHE PRACTICED IT!!!

sankark

Post by sankark »

Been raining music in youtube over the last two weeks and landed on a gem today here @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYUvKowSF7A

a playlist as well @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlC5qZx ... Nl&index=9

The tanittirundu thOdi song links have become stale/videos removed. Any other active links?

RSR

Post by RSR »

Swara Raga Sudha - Shankarabharanam - K. B. Sundarambal
https://youtu.be/5N0gryd9R1Y
========================================