kANa kaN kOTi vENDum - kAmbhOji - pApanAsam Sivan

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
prashant

Post by prashant »

Strangely, a Google search did not yield the lyrics of this MMI super-hit Sivan number... could I please have the lyrics and meaning? Thanks in advance...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Prashant, I got it; here it is:(along with the name of the source)

Your voice on karnATik!

Web www.karnatik.com

Please report any offensive ads.
Song: kaaNa kaN koDi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kaaNakaN koDi
raagam: kaambhOji

28 harikaambhOji janya
Aa: S R2 G3 M1 P D2 S
Av: S N2 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S N3. P. D2. S

taaLam: aadi
Composer: Paapanaasam Shivan
Language: Tamil

pallavi

kaaNak kaN koDi vEnDum - kaapaaliyin bavani
kaaNak kaN koDi vEnDum
(kaaNak)

anupallavi

maaNikkam vairam mudal navaratnaabaraNamum
maNamaar paRpala malar maalaigaLum mugamum
madiyODu taaraagaNam niRaiyum andi
vaanamO kamalavanamO ena manam
mayanga agaLanga angam yaavum i-
langa apaanga aruN mazhai pozhi bavani
(kaaNak)

caraNam

maalODaiyan paNiyum maNNum viNNum paravum
maRai aagaman tuDikkum iRaivan aruL peRavE
kaalam sellumun kanadanamum tandaarkku nanRi
karudik kaNNaarak kanDuLLurugip paNiyap palar
kaaNa aRumuganum gaNapatiyum canDEsvaranum
sivagaNamum toDarakkalai
vaaNi turuvum paNi kaRpaga naayaki
vaaman adikaaranandi sevaidanaik
(kaaNak)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 31 May 2009, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks, Punarvasu! My search was not diligent enough. Apologies!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Hi Prashant, this was a very emotional translation for me (like Punarvasu, I feel that you can take the man/woman/boy/girl out of Mylapore, but you can't take Mylapore out of any one). This tribute of Sri Sivan to the sEvai on the 10th day of the panguni uttiram brahmOtsavam brought back so many memories, it is hard to describe them. Sriram has captured some of the very fourth-dimensional experiences and ambience in these two-dimensional pictures from this year's adikAra nandi procession: http://sriramv.wordpress.com/2009/04/17 ... ar-temple/ Also has a link to MMI's rendition.

Here is my attempt at providing you with the meaning - if it is garbled, blame it on the emotions evoked! :P

pallavi
kANak-kaN koDi vEnDum - kApAliyin bavani"¨kANak kaN koDi vEnDum"¨(kANak-kaN)

One needs (vENDum) countless (kOT(D)i - literally crores) eyes (kaN) to take in (kANa) the grandeur of the procession (bavani) of Lord Siva (as the kApAlik - kapAli, the presiding deity of mylApUr) as it slowly makes it way around the mADa vIdi (the four roads that form a sort of square enclosure to the temple).

anupallavi
mANikkam vairam mudal navaratnAbharaNamum"¨
maNamAra paRpala malar mAlaigaLum mugamum"¨
madiyODu tArAgaNam niRaiyum andi"¨vAnamO
kamalavanamO ena manam"¨mayanga
akaLanka angam yaavum i-"¨langa
apAnga aruL mazhai pozhi bavani"¨(kANak-kaN)

As the lustrous face (mugamum) of the Lord, the glitter from the jewels (AbharaNamum) encrusted with diamonds (vairam) and rubies (mANikkam) that adorn him, and the sweet smells from the many different (paRpala) fragrant (maNamAra) flowers (malar) in the garlands (mAlaigaLum) around his neck confuse and intoxicate (mayanga) the minds (manam) of his devotees into wondering if (ena) one they are beholding the twilight (andi) sky (vAnamO) filled (niRaiyum) with stars (tArAgaNam) and with (ODu) the bright moon (madi), or, are in a forest/grove (vanamO) of lotus (kamala) flowers; as all (yAvum) of his blemish-less (akaLaNka) limbs (angam) shine (ilaNga); and as he showers (pozhi) a veritable downpour (mazhai) of his blessings and grace (aRuL) from the corner of his eyes (apANga), (one needs (vENDum) countless (kOT(D)i) eyes (kaN) to take in (kANa) the grandeur of this procession).

caraNam
mAlODaiyan paNiyum maNNum viNNum paravum"¨maRai Agaman tuDikkum iRaivan aruL peRavE"¨kAlam Sellumun dhanajanamum tandArkku nanRi"¨karudik kaNNArak kaNDuLLurugip paNiyap palar"¨kANa aRumuganum gaNapatiyum canDEsvaranum"¨sivagaNamum toDarak- kalai"¨vaaNi tiruvum paNi kaRpaga nAyaki"¨vAman adikAranandi sevaidanaik-(kANak-kaN)

(One needs countless eyes to take in the grandeur of this procession,) this service/worship (sEvai) of adikAranandi, to my Lord, with kaRpagAmbAL (kaRpaga nAyaki), served by sarasvatI (kalai vANi) and lakshmI (tiruvum) seated on his left (vAman), and followed (toDara) by the six-faced (aRumu(kh)ganum) murugan, gaNapati, caNDikESvaran, and the Siva gaNas that is watched by (kANa) many (palar) so that we can behold (kaNDu) this sight to our heart’s/eyes’ content (kaNNAra), and let our inner-most cores/hearts (uLL) melt (urugi) with devotion and gratitude (nanRi karudi) to the Lord who granted us (tandArkku) material wealth (dhana) and near and dear ones (janamum), bow down (paNi) to him and obtain (peRavE) the blessings (aruL) of this Lord (iRaivan), who is worshipped (paNiyum) by vishNu along with (ODu) brahma (aiyan), and is praised by (tudukkum) the vEdas (maRai) and the Agama SAstras (Agamum) whose teachings have extended (paravum) far and wide across the globe (maNNum) and the skies (viNNum), before (mun) our time (kAlam) on this earth is up (Sellum).

PS: Does this composition take the cake for the most complex anupallavi? The caraNam is not far behind with each word needing a few phrases to explain....

prashant

Post by prashant »

Ravi - that is unbelievably quick! I did not expect a translation so fast... thank you so much for your efforts!!! Will go through this in detail now and commence the task of learning this up :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Prashant - there is a small mistake in the anupallavi - here is the corrected version - for some peculiar reason I am not being permitted to edit my previous post which is annoying!

pallavi
kANak-kaN koDi vEnDum - kApAliyin bavani"¨kANak kaN koDi vEnDum"¨(kANak-kaN)

One needs (vENDum) countless (kOT(D)i - literally crores) eyes (kaN) to take in (kANa) the grandeur of the procession (bavani) of Lord Siva (as the kApAlik - kapAli, the presiding deity of mylApUr) as it slowly makes it way around the mADa vIdi (the four roads that form a sort of square enclosure to the temple).

anupallavi
mANikkam vairam mudal navaratnAbharaNamum"¨
maNamAra paRpala malar mAlaigaLum mugamum"¨
madiyODu tArAgaNam niRaiyum andi"¨vAnamO
kamalavanamO ena manam"¨mayanga
akaLanka angam yaavum i-"¨langa
apAnga aruL mazhai pozhi bavani"¨(kANak-kaN)

As the lustrous face (mugamum) of the Lord, the glitter from the jewels (AbharaNamum) encrusted with nine (nava) precious gems (ratna) from (mudal) diamonds (vairam) to rubies (mANikkam) that adorn him, and the sweet smells from the many different (paRpala) fragrant (maNamAra) flowers (malar) in the garlands (mAlaigaLum) around his neck confuse and intoxicate (mayanga) the minds (manam) of his devotees into wondering if (ena) one they are beholding the twilight (andi) sky (vAnamO) filled (niRaiyum) with stars (tArAgaNam) and with (ODu) the bright moon (madi), or, are in a forest/grove (vanamO) of lotus (kamala) flowers; as all (yAvum) of his blemish-less (akaLaNka) limbs (angam) shine (ilaNga); and as he showers (pozhi) a veritable downpour (mazhai) of his blessings and grace (aRuL) from the corner of his eyes (apANga), (one needs (vENDum) countless (kOT(D)i) eyes (kaN) to take in (kANa) the grandeur of this procession).

caraNam
mAlODaiyan paNiyum maNNum viNNum paravum"¨maRai Agaman tuDikkum iRaivan aruL peRavE"¨kAlam Sellumun dhanajanamum tandArkku nanRi"¨karudik kaNNArak kaNDuLLurugip paNiyap palar"¨kANa aRumuganum gaNapatiyum canDEsvaranum"¨sivagaNamum toDarak- kalai"¨vaaNi tiruvum paNi kaRpaga nAyaki"¨vAman adikAranandi sevaidanaik-(kANak-kaN)

(One needs countless eyes to take in the grandeur of this procession,) this service/worship (sEvai) of adikAranandi, to my Lord, with kaRpagAmbAL (kaRpaga nAyaki), served by sarasvatI (kalai vANi) and lakshmI (tiruvum) seated on his left (vAman), and followed (toDara) by the six-faced (aRumu(kh)ganum) murugan, gaNapati, caNDikESvaran, and the Siva gaNas that is watched by (kANa) many (palar) so that we can behold (kaNDu) this sight to our heart’s/eyes’ content (kaNNAra), and let our inner-most cores/hearts (uLL) melt (urugi) with devotion and gratitude (nanRi karudi) to the Lord who granted us (tandArkku) material wealth (dhana) and near and dear ones (janamum), bow down (paNi) to him and obtain (peRavE) the blessings (aruL) of this Lord (iRaivan), who is worshipped (paNiyum) by vishNu along with (ODu) brahma (aiyan), and is praised by (tudukkum) the vEdas (maRai) and the Agama SAstras (Agamum) whose teachings have extended (paravum) far and wide across the globe (maNNum) and the skies (viNNum), before (mun) our time (kAlam) on this earth is up (Sellum).

arasi

Post by arasi »

The zeal of our mylApuri makkaL!
What a gem of a composition! Is it Sivan's best? There are others to vie with it, but the flow of emotions and the descriptions (as also in kapAli) are awesome. Who else but MM, another Mylaporean could bring out the beauty of this song evoking horripilation (to borrow another mylaporean's expression)?

AP: maNamAr=maNam=Ar(nda)

prashant

Post by prashant »

Ravi - what I love about this translation is the sincere attempt to convey the scope and depth of Sivan's soaring imagination. You translate the song as Sivan must have visualized and internalized the spectacle of the adikAranandi sEvai, rather than going word by word, line by line, and being literal. It really brings out the flow of this song while at the same time helping tamizh-challenged me understand the gist of every phrase / word / line. That's a difficult task and you have achieved it nonchalantly. Thanks for your dedication - it is a great motivation while learning up / notating this song [I am well into the CaraNa now :-)].

arasi - this is definitely a candidate for Sivan's best...
Last edited by prashant on 01 Jun 2009, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Prashant! I love these compositions, both for their musicality and their sheer poetry, where every word (chosen) represents a master-stroke of genius! The gushing words make the scenes come alive, reviving long-dead and buried memories...

rshankar

Re: kANa kaN kOTi vENDum - kAmbhOji - pApanAsam Sivan

Post by rshankar »

Sri VSN, can you please edit the title of this video to kapAliyin bavani - it reads kapAli enbavanai currently, which is definitely right (kapAli enbavanai/enbavarai* kANak kaN kODikku mEl vENDumE!), but not what Papanasam Sri Sivan composed. :)
(*ekavacana for familiarity and to celebrate urimai, or bahuvacana for respect)
Thanks!

vsn69

Post by vsn69 »

It's not letting me edit now.

ramjee

Post by ramjee »

Sir I need notation with lyrics for kanakankodi Kamboji song. Ramjee

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »