Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar@Nungambakkam Radha kalyana utsavam on Oct 09,2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar@Nungambakkam Radha kalyana utsavam on Oct 09,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

———————————————————————————————————————
Violin : Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & his son Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar
Mrudangam : AS Ranganathan
Morning : AS Krishnan

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - concert to follow
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 90 mins
Hall : Nungambakkam Chandra sekara Saraswati hall near NungambakkamPerumal temple
Sabha: Nungambakkam Radha kalyana Mahotsavam - 100 plus year celebration

01. Sriragam Varnam - Karur devudu Iyer
02. Vinayaka Nannu ???(S) - hamsadhwani -EV Ramakrishna Bhagavathat
03. Narayana ninni - suddhadhanyasi -PD

04. Sambo mahadeva (R,S) -pantuvarali - T
05. Chakkani Raja (R N S T) - Kharaharapriya - T
06. Narayana ???? -Behag
07. AlaipayuthE kanna - kAnadA - OVK
08. Korai ónrum illai - ragmamaliga - Kanchi Mahaswami

rajeshnat

Re: Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar@Nungambakkam Radha kalyana utsavam on Oct 09,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

Nungambakkam Radha kalyana committee is celebrating their 100 plus years of their yearly Radha kalyana utsavam. I owe a lot to this organisation as especially in. 1980s there was one Krishnamurthy Bhagavathar From Triplicane Bhajana Mandali used to come and mesmerise with his singing on the annual Sunday day where there is Radha kalyana utsavam. TO hear ashtapadi , OVK krithis , many many namavalis atleast then you don’t know what ragam you suddenly enjoy -slowly you start liking Carnatic music in its intermediate shape and form. Radha kalyanam in my opinion is a great entry point for Rasikas to take a plunge and appreciate more carnatic classicism.

The Sabha patron who is the third/fourth generation patron just announced that from this year we are also conducting classical Carnatic concert after a gap of 30 to 50 years , he said MLV , MMI have performed in the past. Incidentally the whole program till early 2000 or so was used to run in upanishad ashram, that venue was spacious. but dilapidated right now , hence they moved to this hall which is smalller. I have witnessed before my eyes the great Maharajapuram Ramachandran singing twice ,sukumar prasad once playing guitar . 5 to 7 years back i heard sp ramh .

This year they invited a combo of this violin team followed by Radha Bhaskar who gave an abhang thematic concert . Both Chandramouli and Radha Bhaskar are residing in Nungambakkam. It is nice for Nungambakkam to give a tough fight to mylapore, West Mambalam or Nanganallur , atleast on Oct 09, we were winning.

Chandramouli I knew him personally , he studied in PSBB and he got into JEE and did some Aeronautical engg or some engg as an IIT under graduate and continued till some point post graduate in IIT, he decided that he was born for Music in 1980s and he is surely a well sought out accompaniment artist. Chandramouli like RKSK both learnt From RK Venkatarama Sastri and bit later under the able guidance of VV Subramaniam

The start was done by both Appa and 11th standard son who was meticulously looking at the violin and played with lot of precision. I have personally not heard Chandramouli either playing violin solo or duet . Shiva sankar bowing was well done and the hamsadhwani had a lovely arresting swaras. Suddha dhanyasi was neat , one can easily spot the VVS azhuttam .

Submain was followed by main both had a lot of focus on playing intensely the krithi with the gayaki rasa. I think inclusive of me the overall crowd lapped up the chakkani raja bit more. Behag was most special to me ,as Shiva Shankar played by taking the lead. His bowing was as neat as a typical VVS school student. I am not a fan of korai onrum illai but the preceding alaipayuthe was bit too fast and quick.

AS Ranganathan played well . His brother's morsing box did not arrive on time so he did till first half the konnakkol . I am personally not a big fan of konnakkol as irrespective of artist it is bit intruding the main artist especially for listeners like me . AS Krishnan kept the konnakkol soft ,as such no major disruption till before main .From main he was twanging with nice Laya patterns that had a good contrast for significant time.

Shiva Shankar was playing very well during krithis ,bit more excellence is needed in swaras. He is young and only in 11th standard ,so he will make it .Best wishes for him to reach the status of his Appa and his living paramaguru shri VVS. The next artist Radha Bhaskar was waiting for her abhang , I listened for 30 mins , she presented with lot of flair , it was a long day for me as I was staying almost 10 hours , I had to return back during abhang concert.

I did not note the songs of Chandramouli , I just noted few songs in mobile and the rest is just from my memory. I hope I did not miss any.I wish they had 30 mins more- it is utsavam that is what it is.

Overall a very good concert for 90 mins,

rajeshnat

Re: Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar@Nungambakkam Radha kalyana utsavam on Oct 09,2022

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

———————————————————————————————————————
Violin : Mullaivasal ChandraMouli & his son Mullaivasal C.Shiva Shankar
Mrudangam : AS Ranganathan
Morning : AS Krishnan
Hall : Nungambakkam Chandra sekara Saraswati hall near NungambakkamPerumal temple
Sabha: Nungambakkam Radha kalyana Mahotsavam - 100 plus year celebration

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35830

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I have heard Mullaivasal (a lovely name for a village) accompany several artistes in the past. Good to know that the son is also a budding violinist!

2: vinAyaka ninnu vinA brOchuTaku is by E.V.Ramakrishna Bhagavatar--mudra: Gopala dasa.
3: nArAyaNa ninna nAmada smaraNeya by PD, as you state.
6: nArAyana tE namO namO is by Annamacharya