Palghat Ramprasad, Arkay, 24/Nov/2022

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

Palghat Ramprasad, Arkay, 24/Nov/2022

Post by sankark »

with SVaradarajan, NeyveliNarayanan & ChandrashekaraSharma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YyjBKzQ4Y

A must not miss affair.

shankarank

Re: Palghat Ramprasad, Arkay, 24/Nov/2022

Post by shankarank »

It was a great performance by Sri Ramprasad.

His effort to introduce a twist with kanDa jAti Triputa, svAminatha paripAlayamAm ( I saw it being mentioned as a GNB composition in the chat) is laudable.

Virtuous Alapana in cArukEsi. I was recently made known that a mettle of a musician is measured by the clarity of avarOHana phrases, something the greats were known for! Ramprasad is surely getting into that league.

While he brings a lot of skills to the fore, from his family treasure of a knowledge base, his music will shine more, if he were to reign in his body language to express the laya in more subtle ways. His approach is highly grounded on explicit mathematical predictions.

He could increase his implicit ways of expressing flow a bit. He is more like Dhoni equipped with all the shots. He could acquire more class, especially that his voice timber is a grainy one!

Sri Vardarajan's replies were relishing ones and Sri Neyveli Narayanan and Sri Chandrashekara Sarma took the KhanDa tripuTa tani opportunity by the storm and created a thunderous effect!

sankark

Post by sankark »

Another one by Palakkad Ramprasad, 19th Nov 2022? at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJfsv3QqGYI

Expansive sreeranjani @ #2 followed by brOcevarevarE. So far so good and hope it gets better! Palakkad Maheshkumar on mridangam - v nice!

sankark

Post by sankark »

shankarank wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 01:13 It was a great performance by Sri Ramprasad.

His effort to introduce a twist with kanDa jAti Triputa, svAminatha paripAlayamAm ( I saw it being mentioned as a GNB composition in the chat) is laudable.

Virtuous Alapana in cArukEsi.
I noted that I didn't fast forward out of the carukesi alapanai. Usually I tune out in a while for carukesi/sarasangi/mohanam/hindolam/kalyani/hk/etc. and get into, 'ok good, now move on, enough loitering there' mode, but didn't get so with this carukesi.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

mohanam/hindolam/kalyani/hk are resonating ragas where a good musician can make an impact. Musicians with lot of virtuosity even more. Their sweetness is used against them. Musicians get accused of creating instant appeal without much work. But we should be more discerning to spot sincere efforts.

carukesi/sarasangi are pure virtuosity play. Even then somewhat ineffective at the end. These are not ragas in a philosophical sense. You can call them tunes. But musicians can still work to create something, which is separate from the core argument.

Even before we get to these, Shanmugapriya/Pantuvarali etc. already are in the virtuosity zone only!

Karaharapriya suffers from lack of susvara in the well of the raga range, but has been established using better techniques much of it from nAdasvaram. I will call it a "trademark" carnatic ragam as it enjoys a cult following inside the core carnatic eco system. ;)

If you discount kalyANi, one of the well spaced mUrcana kAra rAgam, then only tODi is left in the 72 system! That rAgam is in the 72 list, but it's not conceived by that framework. It's origins are traced to Persia/middle east. cinna svara ragam as it is called. yAnai iRandAlum Ayiram pon (Even if an elephant dies it's worth thousand gold coins!) - so even if you make it gamaka-less, it still gives out Sindhu Bhairavi. Sri tyAgaraja's tradition talks about dEsiya tODi etc.

SankarAbharaNam already has so many caveats that make it asampURNam.

sankark

Post by sankark »

shankarank wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 05:43 SankarAbharaNam already has so many caveats that make it asampURNam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-FHlzMZez8

that's what TMK says in this lecdem.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

SankarAbharaNam has been talked about as sD2P avarOhaNam by many musicologists and musicians before. The N3 as anusvara is already discussed.

Above link is already noted and attributed here : viewtopic.php?p=378089#p378089

ArOhaNam/avarOhaNam is a teaching methodology, a convenient way to initiate a rAgA to a student. rAgA of course transcends svaras at some point and other svaras may come in.

There is a progressive flowering of knowledge, very much in tune with all learning in our traditional knowledge systems.

Musicians, those who still consider themselves within the system I mean, in the interest of access to Music to all ( politically correct), are beating around the bush and not making a bold, hard statement that, this music is "guru-Shishya" parampara and learning is not simply through methodologies.

The latter is good for fun engagement with the system.