Asked ChatGPT some Carnatic questions

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
girish_a

Asked ChatGPT some Carnatic questions

Post by girish_a »

Well, it had to happen didn't it? So, inevitably, I asked ChatGPT a few Carnatic questions.

What is a Melakarta Raga?

A Melakarta Raga is a system of 72 parent ragas (or scales) in Carnatic music, which is a classical music tradition of southern India. These ragas are considered to be the foundation of all other ragas in the Carnatic system, and each one is associated with a specific set of rules and characteristics. The 72 Melakarta ragas are arranged in a matrix, with each row and column representing a specific set of swaras (or notes) and their ascending and descending arrangements. These ragas are typically used as the basis for composing and performing music in the Carnatic tradition.

What is Nadai?

Nadai is a concept in Carnatic music, which is a classical music tradition of southern India, that refers to the tempo or speed at which a piece of music is performed. The term is often used in conjunction with the tala, which is the rhythmic pattern of a piece of music. In traditional Carnatic music, the nadai can be adjusted to suit the performer's preference or the particular piece of music being performed. There are several different types of nadai, such as chatusram, misram, and sankeernam. Each of these types has a specific tempo and is used in different types of music.

The above two are straightforward textbook definitions, and ChatGPT passed that test with flying colours. Well, not quite, but almost there.

Next, I asked a couple of slightly different questions, and got some iffy answers:

What is the difference between Shankarabharanam and Dheera Shankarabharanam?

Shankarabharanam and Dheera Shankarabharanam are two different ragas in the Carnatic music tradition of southern India.

Shankarabharanam is a Melakarta raga, which is a system of 72 parent ragas that form the foundation of all other ragas in the Carnatic system. It is a symmetric raga, meaning that it follows the same ascending and descending pattern of notes, and it is considered to be one of the most important and fundamental ragas in Carnatic music. It is associated with the notes S R2 G3 P D2 S

On the other hand, Dheera Shankarabharanam is a Janya raga which is derived from the Melakarta raga Shankarabharanam. Janya ragas are created by taking the notes from a Melakarta raga and rearranging them in a specific way. Dheera Shankarabharanam is a raga with a different set of rules and characteristics from Shankarabharanam. It is associated with the notes S R2 G3 P D2 S N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S

What was unique about Palani Subramania Pillai's style of playing Mridangam?

Palani Subramania Pillai was a renowned Mridangam player in the Carnatic music tradition of southern India. He was known for his unique style of playing the instrument, which was characterized by his intricate and complex laya (rhythmic) patterns, his skillful use of gathi (a system of grouping beats in a cycle) and his ability to create a wide range of sounds and effects on the Mridangam.

One of the unique features of his style was his use of "Kuraippu," a technique that involved playing a series of rapid strokes on the Mridangam. This technique required great dexterity and skill, and was considered to be one of the hallmarks of his style.

Another unique aspect of his style was his use of "Konnakol," a system of vocalizing the syllables of the rhythmic patterns. This allowed him to communicate the laya more effectively with the other musicians and to improvise more easily during a performance.

Additionally, Palani Subramania Pillai was known for his ability to play at a very high speed, but still maintain a high level of clarity and precision in his playing. He was also known for his ability to adapt his playing to suit the particular piece of music being performed, and his playing was considered to be very expressive and evocative.

All of these features made Palani Subramania Pillai's style of playing Mridangam to be highly regarded and influential among the musicians and music lovers.

And a downright dumb answer (I didn't have time, so I phrased this question in a hurry):

Suggest a long Swara Prastara Muktaya for the Hamsadhwani Kriti "Vatapi Ganapatim"

A long Swara Prastara Muktaya for the Hamsadhwani Kriti "Vatapi Ganapatim" could include the following:

S R2 G3 P D2 S
S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N3 S
S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
S R2 G3 M1 P D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S D2 N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S N3 D2 P M1 G3 R2 S
Note: The above swara prastara is just one of the possible ways, you can come up with your own as well. Also, the Hamsadhwani is a janya raga, derived from the Natabhairavi, which is a melakartha raga.

It's fascinating and scary at the same time, and it's only going to improve from here on. I hope it doesn't end up encroaching on the human and spiritual aspects of Carnatic music - the applications one can think of are many, and that's a little concerning.

Nick H

Re: Asked ChatGPT some Carnatic questions

Post by Nick H »

Hmmm... I shan't be going to this Chat GPT for mridangam lessons!

Please excuse the lapses of my own memory and any technical errors but...
Nadai is a concept in Carnatic music, which is a classical music tradition of southern India, that refers to the tempo or speed at which a piece of music is performed.
No, this definition is completely wrong. Nadai refers to the subdivision of the beat. How many mathra to the akshara
"Kuraippu," a technique that involved playing a series of rapid strokes on the Mridangam.
This is completely wrong. It should have googled the translation from Tamil to English! And I don't think PSP invented it (???)
Another unique aspect of his style was his use of "Konnakol," a system of vocalizing the syllables of the rhythmic patterns.
I am not sure about the word (?) but the technique is not unique to Carnatic music even, let alone one school of mridangam.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Scenario
The 2043 MA annual conference has ChatGPT as the secretary and moderator of Lec-dems. She (as ChatGPT calls herself Smt. शठगोप्ता देवी) introduces the speaker who has invented a "Pure Air" string instrument which catches selectively entropic air vibrations and focusses them into Veena sounds with AI enhanced timbre and persona.

ChatGPT begins,
"This New gen Artiste XXX (I don't want to reveal his name and spoil the suspense) has created a superb melodic instrument out of thin air much like AIR introduced Carnatic music radio concerts in 1943. I mean, something out of nothing indeed!"

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I tried ChatGPT 20 days ago. She wrote pretty good poetry but got a lot of things wrong too. Scary. Imagine a doctor on teleconsult is prescribing using ChatGPT!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Such questions are the ones I tried first with ChatGPT.

It stumbled very badly on simple things.

"What is the Arohanam Avarohanam of Raga Mohanam"

It started off in its usual style of being a great scholar in this field, it got the technical terms right but 100% wrong on the answer.

vasanthakokilam

It answered correctly today..

Arohanam (ascending scale) of Raga Mohanam is S R2 G3 P D2 S
Avarohanam (descending scale) of Raga Mohanam is S D2 P G3 R2 S

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vasanthakokilam wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 21:19 It answered correctly today..

Arohanam (ascending scale) of Raga Mohanam is S R2 G3 P D2 S
Avarohanam (descending scale) of Raga Mohanam is S D2 P G3 R2 S
Does that mean you secretely answered the question once and fed into the model. Just like how we have some school teachers empathizing on some students and they writing one or two answers and helping the student to clear.

vasanthakokilam

I didn’t provide the corrections. I didn’t even reply back it is wrong. Someone else may have done that

I know it uses RLHF techniques (Reinforcement learning from Human Feedback ) so you may be right.

I tried other ragas and it gets most of them wrong

RSR

Post by RSR »

I need to translate a transcript in Russian in youtube into English..
'Google Input tools'' does not seem to have such provision.
Can ChatGPT help?
--
AI is scary. ,,Within a few years, it may read our mind and answer. - not our typed question.

vasanthakokilam

I see the option you want at
translate.google.com

Привет, как дела -> 'Hi, how are you'

https://translate.google.com/?sl=ru&tl= ... =translate

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

AI is like learning by rote, and keep reciting throughout life, Vedas, without ever coming to grip of the underlying reality, which Vedas represent. Dakshinamurthi is called mauna guru. The mauna is not to be interpreted as just silence. It is the medium for true 'expression' - if I may use the term - of what is experienced by the guru. The moment you reduce it to word - or swara - it got distorted. All Vedas - and music too - are distortions, if seen at word - or swara - level only. AI will continue to struggle like vedic scholars - and musicians - who pride themselves about their knowledge, only to realise - if at all they do - that every human expression has been like the lake that has been muddied.
AI is like those worshipping knowledge - please refer to Isa Upanishad Verse 9 - for what it means to worship knowledge. But, then, that is the course humans seem to have chartered for themselves - deliberately?

RSR

Post by RSR »

@vasanthakokilam at p-10
Sir, Thank you. I will try and share my experience.
==================================

RSR

Post by RSR »

@vgovindan at p-11
Sir, you are my 'guru' for your monumental work on the kruthis- lyrics-translation , of the TRINITY and Brammendraa.
I am afraid that rote-learning and respect for tradition and customs, is saving the country and will save the country in future---that is - any country. l as it has done over 5000 years now. Rootless trees cannot withstand.
- True.
- But, in my schooldays, I was taught Taithreeyaranyakam. without understanding the meaning. After a few years, i read the translation and found it to be just some chant of near hermits and nothing very illuminating to solve the problems of the world. - even personal problems.
Moderation seems to be the best policy. Everything, has a good and bad aspect. It is for us to sieve it and absorb the good and reject the bad. Without science how can we feed our people - who have grown from a mere 30 crores in Barathy's time- 1920- for the whole country before partition- to more than 130 crores in India alone and 180 crores for the undivided country? Without vaxin what would have been the covid -deathtoll all over the world- especially the highly urbanized WEST? It is observed that the damage was less in rural areas without much travel and transportation. --especially air travel.
In anthing--'this far--no further' should be the norm. Let us not ape the West.
-
As I understand , AI is not just a rapid search engine from enormous data in all forms. If it had stopped with that, it would be great.
But , even three decades back, it had passed that stage of empirical medicine. Instead of prescribing standard medicines depending on the observed symptoms, our scientists, taught the system to 'think' for itself and try new cures. and solutions. Thus these systems have developed the ability for 'self-learning'.
There are two paths before us.
1- To use AI for a human objective
2- To let AI itself to define the 'ENDS' and ;MEANS'.
=====
With imminent nuclear war in very near future, over which 99 % of people have no knowledge or control, it may be better to revert to 'small is beautiful' and PURA of Dr.APJK.......There was a time, rightly, when population control' was promoted - in the decades 1950-1990.
But today, more population is wrongly equated with more power, bigger market, more cannon fodder for war machines.
Just a swarm of drones can destroy in a few minutes all our power and industrial infrastructure of mega-cities. Our forefathers were very wise. in choosing small settlements spreadout in vast areas.

vainika

Post by vainika »

ChatGPT gave me the following differences between sitar and Saraswati veena:

The sitar and the Saraswati veena are both musical instruments originating from India, but they differ in several ways:

Number of strings: The sitar typically has a greater number of strings (around 20 to 21) compared to the Saraswati veena, which has fewer strings (around 20 to 25).

Playing technique: The playing technique for the two instruments is also different, with the sitar being played with a wire-tipped plectrum called a mizrab, while the Saraswati veena is played with a plectrum held between the index and middle fingers.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Aiyyo.

See below:

What is the meaning of Aiyyo?
ChatGPT:
"Aiyyo" is an exclamation used in casual conversation, often to express surprise, frustration, or annoyance. It is commonly used in African American Vernacular English (AAVE) and has roots in South Asian languages such as Bengali, where it has a similar meaning and usage.

Whenever I say Aiyyo, my Bengali friends are amused and laugh at this south Indian interjection. Aiyyo for them because they don't know chatGPT thinks this is Bengali 😂

RSR

Post by RSR »

@vasanthakokilam
at-p-10
--------
Russian to English translation
Sir, Thank you very much. It is priceless. I am able to translate even one hour Russian transcript in a videoclip into English.
https://translate.google.com/?sl=ru&tl= ... =translate
---
We can paste the entire Russian text in left panel and the English translation appears in the right panel. 5000 characters is the limit. After copying into wordpad, we can click on the 'next' button to get the next 5000 words.
Wonderful.

YasaswiniT

Post by YasaswiniT »

The very first question I asked ChatGPT when I signed up to it last month was,
'what is the raga of the song aahista aahista from swades?'.
It said that it is in Raga Bhimpalas. But it is in Charukesi ragam. Even a simple google search is giving the right answer.

Today I asked the same question and it replied:
The song "Aahista Aahista" from the Bollywood movie Swades is based on the Indian classical raga Yaman. This raga is known for its sweet and melodious character, and is often used in Hindi film music to convey a range of emotions, including love and longing. The song is composed by A.R. Rahman and sung by Udit Narayan and Sadhana Sargam.

Someone should have taught it another wrong answer the second time if RLHF is the only technique it is learning from. And I don't think anyone would deliberately teach a wrong answer for this particular question to ChatGPT. I wonder what's going on!

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

For those interested, this is one of the best explanations of how it works:

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/202 ... s-it-work/

RSR

Post by RSR »

@YasaswiniT Good warning.
Nobody is ''teaching' chatbot.
- Given the enormous info-glut in the web, the software engine just searches for the the key-words and then tries to locate plausible relevant sentences from sources like wiki , quora and many more such sites in thousands of which we may not know . This ambiguity is more natural when it comes to film songs.
Even in our forum dedicated to carnatic music and ragas, the same situation occurs. --for example, I request you to ask chatbot the raagam of the well-known 'kaatrinilae verum geetham'. It was riddle enough for more than one thread in this forum itself. Please try to ask the raagam of ' chaakar raako ji' by Smt.MS in Hindi Meera. The answer(s) may be interesting.
Noting how much the world is depending on Google for information , the company had initiated a project to authenticate the veracity of its search results to the maximum possible extent. It does not venture into 'compositions'. of coomplete sentences.
-
Any social media system nowadays is fraught with danger of personal security. Cloud, Bigdata and self-learning AI in combination is a grave danger. Social media is creating havoc. Bit coin? Who is to control ?
As for your question, I would suggest that we ask the same question again and again for say a dozen times and see the result.
For example, ' what is the parent raagam of sindhubairavi' ?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

It surely seems to be getting ready to replace those damn writers and give them a run for their money. :twisted: :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Putting another way what we have already said...

Google and other search engines direct us to original sources, which we then visit and decide for ourselves if they are reliable/acceptable. ChatGPT just hoovers stuff up and vomits it. Treat it much like the average salesman: opens mouth and makes noise. Analogy: when buying some equipment or gadget, I would rather find the manual and read it rather then the sales material.

RSR

Post by RSR »

ref-p-20
Godsend for for people with zero communication-skills- without the help of stone-age tools.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

girish_a wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 21:20 Well, it had to happen didn't it? So, inevitably, I asked ChatGPT a few Carnatic questions.

What is a Melakarta Raga?

A Melakarta Raga is a system of 72 parent ragas (or scales) in Carnatic music, which is a classical music tradition of southern India. These ragas are considered to be the foundation of all other ragas in the Carnatic system, and each one is associated with a specific set of rules and characteristics. The 72 Melakarta ragas are arranged in a matrix, with each row and column representing a specific set of swaras (or notes) and their ascending and descending arrangements. These ragas are typically used as the basis for composing and performing music in the Carnatic tradition.

What is Nadai?

Nadai is a concept in Carnatic music, which is a classical music tradition of southern India, that refers to the tempo or speed at which a piece of music is performed. The term is often used in conjunction with the tala, which is the rhythmic pattern of a piece of music. In traditional Carnatic music, the nadai can be adjusted to suit the performer's preference or the particular piece of music being performed. There are several different types of nadai, such as chatusram, misram, and sankeernam. Each of these types has a specific tempo and is used in different types of music.

The above two are straightforward textbook definitions, and ChatGPT passed that test with flying colours. Well, not quite, but almost there.
The Nadai
definition
seems just as “iffy” as the others! 🙂

vasanthakokilam

with google making bard generally available at https://bard.google.com, I tried a few Carnatic related questions. It was a lot more accurate than ChatGPT.
my questions were in this order
"what is the arohanam avarohanam of raga nalinakanthi"
"how about Mohanam"
"mukhari?"

bard was right 3 of 3, chatGPT was only right on Mohanam ( it used to provide wrong answer even for that early on )

Then tried the question
"how does raga Mohana differ from Raga bhoopali"

Bard's answer is decent, ChatGPT started off ok but derailed really bad after the initial statement of facts

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Bard flunked on my first question, which was, "What is a Melakarta raga?". Look at the examples it gave.

A melakarta raga is a parent raga in the Carnatic music system. There are 72 melakarta ragas, each of which has a unique scale and mood. Melakarta ragas are the foundation of all other ragas in Carnatic music, and they can be used to create a wide variety of musical compositions.

Melakarta ragas are classified according to their scale and mood. The scale of a melakarta raga is determined by the order of the seven notes (swaras) in the ascending and descending melodic phrases (arohana and avarohana). The mood of a melakarta raga is determined by the emotional quality of the scale and the melodic phrases.

Some of the most famous melakarta ragas include:

Kharaharapriya
Todi
Kalyani
Hamsadhwani
Shanmukhapriya
Hindolam
Bhairavi
Vasantha
Dhenuka
Malahari

I was ready to give up, but asked, "Is Hamsadhwani really a Melakarta raga?":

There is some debate about whether Hamsadhwani is a Melakarta raga. According to the traditional definition of a Melakarta raga, Hamsadhwani is not a Melakarta raga because it does not contain all seven notes of the scale. However, some people argue that Hamsadhwani should be considered a Melakarta raga because it is a janya raga of the Melakarta raga Sankarabharanam.

Ultimately, whether or not Hamsadhwani is a Melakarta raga is a matter of opinion. There is no right or wrong answer.

I gave up at this point.

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

I asked ChatGPT the following question?

Write an essay about how Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar may have influenced each other?

Here is the answer:

Title: Musical Synergy: Influence Among Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar

Introduction:
The Trinity of Carnatic music, composed of Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar, represents the pinnacle of creativity and innovation in South Indian classical music. These legendary composers, who lived during the 18th and 19th centuries, not only left an indelible mark on the Carnatic music tradition but also exerted a profound influence on each other. This essay explores the interconnectedness and mutual inspiration that Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar might have experienced, leading to the enrichment of their musical compositions.

Historical Context:
Thyagaraja (1767-1847), Syama Sastri (1762-1827), and Deekshitar (1779-1835) were contemporaries who lived in different regions of South India. While Thyagaraja hailed from Tiruvarur in present-day Tamil Nadu, Syama Sastri belonged to Tiruvarur as well, and Deekshitar was associated with the town of Tiruvarur in Tamil Nadu and Manali in present-day Chennai. The geographical proximity of their birthplaces and their immersion in the rich musical traditions of their respective regions fostered opportunities for interaction and exchange.

Shared Devotional Spirituality:
One significant aspect that bound these composers together was their shared devotion to Lord Rama and the Hindu deities. They composed numerous songs dedicated to the divine, expressing their spiritual yearning and seeking solace through music. While Thyagaraja's compositions reflect deep personal experiences and philosophical reflections, Syama Sastri's compositions were imbued with emotional intensity, and Deekshitar's works displayed a sublime and intricate musicality. Their devotional compositions not only influenced their own creative journeys but also provided a common ground for shared inspiration.

Stylistic Cross-Pollination:
Despite having distinct musical styles, it is plausible that Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar were aware of each other's works. They might have come into contact with compositions and performances of their contemporaries through oral tradition, musical gatherings, or encounters with other musicians. The exposure to each other's music could have sparked curiosity, admiration, and even experimentation in their own compositions.

Thematic Overlaps:
While each composer had their unique thematic preferences, there were instances where they explored similar musical ideas. For instance, the concept of "ragam-tanam-pallavi," an elaborate improvisational form in Carnatic music, was an area where all three composers showcased their brilliance. Additionally, certain ragas such as Kalyani, Todi, and Kambhoji were favored by all three composers, though they treated them differently in their compositions, adding their distinct melodic and rhythmic nuances.

Technical Innovations:
The Trinity composers were known for their technical innovations, expanding the boundaries of traditional Carnatic music. Thyagaraja's exploration of complex rhythmic structures, Syama Sastri's emphasis on emotive aspects of music, and Deekshitar's incorporation of Sanskrit verses and ancient musical forms demonstrate their collective efforts to push the limits of musical expression. It is likely that they learned from and inspired each other's experimentation, contributing to the evolution of Carnatic music.

Legacy and Enduring Influence:
The music of Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar continues to resonate with musicians and connoisseurs of Carnatic music to this day. Their compositions form a significant portion of the standard repertoire and are performed and celebrated in music festivals and concerts worldwide. Their influence extends beyond their own compositions, permeating subsequent generations of Carnatic musicians who draw inspiration from their melodic, rhythmic, and lyrical genius.

Conclusion:
The musical journey of Thyagaraja, Syama Sastri, and Deekshitar was marked by creative genius, spirituality, and a constant quest for musical excellence. While the exact extent of their personal interactions may remain speculative, the shared historical context, thematic overlaps, and technical innovations suggest a dynamic and interconnected relationship among these composers. Their collective influence on each other and on the Carnatic music tradition as a whole is undeniable, leaving a profound and lasting impact that continues to inspire musicians and music lovers across generations.

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

There are clear inaccuracies and some things factually incorrect (e.g. RTP)...

Any views anyone???

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

hailed... imbued... "Carnatic" English!

Apart from that, I can't comment on the content, but doesn't it read a bit like a school essay?

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

Indeed, I am looking at glass half full NickH. I am amazed it came this far.