Sanjay Subrahmanyan@TMT 100(NGS Main Hall) on May 27th,2023

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin : S Varadarajan
Mrudangam :Neyveli Venkatesh
Tambura Support : Swarna Rethas??? (not sure)

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow /Ticketed
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 10 mins - 06 40 to 8:50 pm
Sabha/Hall : TM Thyagarajan centenaray committee/ NGS main hall
Occasion : TM Thyagarajan centenaray

1. varnam - mina lochanE (S)- narayanagowlai - TMT
2. sArasa sAma mruthupAda (Raga sketch)- gowrimanOhari - ST

3. Prasanna Venkateswaram (R) - vasanthabhairavi- MD
5 mins alapana and 4 mins violin return

4. annai parashakthi (R , CS1 ,CS2,CS3)- ragamaliga with mohanam start - TMT
5A.pazham nee pazhani (R,N,S,T) - bhairavi - PT
12 mins alapana and 6 mins violin return
6 mins neraval pazhani vaay deiva pazham nee
swaras 12 mins
5B.tani for 5 mins

6. edAya gati (R) - chalanaatai -KI
7A. viruththam - aRumPonnA maniYe - kAmbodhi + aRumPonnA maniYe - hamsanandi + yeninum kai -shurutti
7B. nAdi thEdi thozhuvaar Paadi - THiruppugazh?? - bhAgeshri - AGN
8. pavamana - mangalam

The month being may . carnatic summer is a lull season for live concerts. Post covid ,In general with quite a few sabhas folding down and the proliferation of easy access to internet free music making people come to sabha to hear live concerts is like asking a mother to feed her kid on time before the school bell . Live music takers are less for sure and this year is surely a downward trend. Yesterday i had an option to take up 2 out of my top 4 male artist , i choosed sanjay over vijay siva in PS high school . Both had speeches, vijay in the hindu said speeches and a 7 pm like start, so i thought sanjay will sing bit more .

In any case my respect and reverance for shri Tanjore M thyagarajan is very deep. I personally knew TMT contributions from early 2000 only with forums like rasikas i have known him more .TMT was a prime disciple of SSI , but over the years with so many varnams coming and with me hearing many songs were tuned by TMT , my reverence to TMT was slowly and steadily rising in the last 20 years .Also his disciples are all accomplished particularly Raji Gopalakrishnan -one of my favourite vidushi and others like veenai gayathri , OST, lakshmi rangarajan and perhaps the youngest sishya of TMT sir is Baby Sreeram who is to me a recent discovery - a fabulous musician . TMT was in my books is a prolific vaggeyakkara . TMT is in the range of vaggeyakkaras LGJ or TRS or BMK of that era . TMT never compromised and fell in dilution ring of CM.

TMT 100 had some video presentation and i missed it , Around 5pm when i went one lovely may be 2nd generation sishya was singing karpooram narumo (assuming that was tuned by TMT )and then sanjay , murali of academy and chief guest post master general charukesi who released TMT postal stamp were there in the dias . the talk was crisp by all . Sanjay in particualy was terse and concise and did have clear contextual content . He said TMT conducted a tanjore musical trust festival in sastri hall where he TMT brings his disciples to sing and there will be about 100 plus songs sung by various disciples which was very special to many musicians then.

Sanjay said TMT was most respected and said when TMT sang he had lot of musicians attending and he said about TMT knew about 150 varnams and TMT used to teach. At this juncture i was thinking my first encounter of a TMT varnam where the baritoned maharajpuam ramachandran sang maal marugan in hindolam was one of a kind.

Over to the review in the next post
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 May 2023, 12:16, edited 2 times in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan@TMT 100(NGS Main Hall) on May 27th,2023

Post by rajeshnat »

Over to the Sanjay@ TMT Concert review
---------------------------------------
sanjay does not do any tactical mistakes. He keeps only pakkavadyam and drops upa pakkavadyam and that is time saved . His concerts speeches finished much ahead and there were bunch of TMT disciples headed by Lakshmi Rangarajan and Mrs parthasarathy who sang two songs with other sishyas whom i did not recognize. First one was the sparking hindolam varnam - maal murugan and the other a krithi in a rare urmika ragam where tmt was the tunesmith . Sanjay started the concert around 06 40 .

The start was a varnam in narayanagowlai . My mind was staying it is near kedaragowlai and i forgot for almost the whole concert the ragam narayanagowlai . When i wrote this review i just checked to see that this ragam is narayanagowlai , the perils of being out of touch with music for last 3 years or so is hitting me hard where i have forgotten narayanagowlai .

Varnam was a sound imbalanced varavE illatha varnam . Sanjay surely needs shruthi enforcement from Varadarajan , unlike quite a lot of musicians who do not need that much violin support sanjay needs the shruthi adherance connectivity from violin . He did not get it in varnam and also in the significant part of gowrimanohari . NGS Main is a big hall the acoustics were actually wellset in last 7 years or so . But some how for the first two songs i felt the balance of two accompanist was not that perfect went back to NGS main hall before 2015 days . The thalai aati sarvalagu champ Neyveli lignite champ was giving continous power that did the trick for the most time

Vasanthabhairavi alapana was well done and the rare dikshitar krithi Prasanna Venkateswaram was well sung . A rare ragamaliga that had significant anchor in mohanam was the krithi annai parashakthi . Looks the tune and words were written by the great TMT Sir. TMT takes a liberty of words in going on a temple tour like he adds words praising madurai meenakshi , nellai kanthimathi etc but the ragam for most part stayed in mohanam . I could see a bit of similarity of bhavayami raghuramam where the anchor was in saveri this krith had a nice thamizh texture with a deep classical base. TMT as a respected vaggeyakkara came out very well with annai parashakthi.

I love out of all big ragas bhairavi . Bhairavi brings power but there is a sinusoidal smoothness where you dont hear the shout at all . Bhairavi alapana was welldone by sanjay could spot a lot of semmangudish tenacity there in bhairavi . The PT krithi pazham nee pazhani is new to me but no words seemed rushed at any point inclusive of neraval, when words are spaced evenly the neraval sounded insightful bhairavi , indeed thooran gave right spacing for neraval . The swaras went with the flow of the krithi and did not tresspass into other flavours of other bhairavi songs . Sanjay showed his class in this bhairavi

Sanjay and chaalanaatai go so well, KI is prolific and the lazy haunting hueness of chaala nattai was well performed by sanjay and his thalayaati mrudangam to be soon legend tapped it so well. Viruththam was long string of words , he took the same words for the same lines but twisted it with both stormbOdhi and Ferociousnandi they indeed came out well the last shurutti i thought he will end with shurutti but he moving to may be a tiruppugzh??? in bHageshri was quite well done

The best of varadu came in from 3rd number ,his best was in the bhairavi . He so closely follows sanjay and completes is short arcs and more importantly his azhuttam is so great . Neyveli Venkatesth is a bit of shubman gill of gujarat tigers he is so professional in the field .Apart from sanjay deciding to drop upapakkavadyams and taking more air time, the best that venkatesh did was he ended the tani in 4 to 5 mins . venkatesh is one 200 percent pakkavadhyam artist . His strokes are always in the zone of sarvalaghu and in shortest time at pallavi itself he comes to the zone of excellence and i hear so much of thavil through his mrudhu hands Also it is evident that they practice as a team where he plays longer cycle for each song without or may be complete absence of teermanaams . He is a fair play mrudangam artist.

All said many songs are new particularly the bhairavi i cherish a lot . I wish the concert could have gone another 20 mins being a free concert sanjay must have strategically decided to wrap in exact 2 hours plus 5 to 10 mins. This is a free concert so no point making strategic mistakes that can cannibalize future commercial ticketed concerts. TMT is a legend who never compromised aesthetics and that was amply demonstrated with lot of songs along with he being one of the most prolific chittaswara vaggeyakkara it was amply demonstrated . Two A plus supporting artists with a thyagi playing tani for just 4 plus mins made this concert like 2 and half hours concert .

Looking forward to see the TMT video if there is some one who has seen it in youtube uploaded please in tmt thread in vidwan . The compere a lady was crisp and they indeed worked as a team and bought the greatness of a forgotten and possibly misunderstood vidwan who was way too long under the extended sunshine of mahavidwan Semmangudi. TMT used to conduct a series in 80s called Tanjore Music Tradition and that was indeed there. Sanjay should watch out for bit more voice quality, lot of hoarseness is coming quite frequently at times even with sharp musical shadow of sunaada violin by varadu it is still falling in my ears . All said one has to give to sanjay for his elephant like memory to absorb new krithis and present it .

Overall an excellent concert for 2 hours and 15 mins
Last edited by rajeshnat on 29 May 2023, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Re: Sanjay Subrahmanyan@TMT 100(NGS Main Hall) on May 27th,2023

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin : S Varadarajan
Mrudangam :Neyveli Venkatesh
Tambura Support : Swarna Rethas

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow /Ticketed
Day/Duration : Saturday/ 2 hours and 10 mins - 06 40 to 8:50 pm
Sabha/Hall : TM Thyagarajan centenaray committee/ NGS main hall
Occasion : TM Thyagarajan centenaray

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #3 of 20 is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=379372#p379372