NJ Nandini@Music Academy on Dec 16th, 2023

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : NJ Nandini
Violin : Sriram Sridhar (disciple of LGJ Krishnan and Padma Shankar)
Mrudangam : Kishore Ramesh (son of R Ramesh who is disciple of Karaikudi mani)
Ghatam : Karthik Krishnaswamy

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - concert to follow , Non Ticketed concert
Day : Saturday
Duration -2 hours

Sabha/Hall : Music Acadamy TTK Hall
Time : 01 30 PM to 03 30 PM

01. Ini ahilum- Poorvikalyani - Ambujam Krishna
02. Samaja vara gamanA (R , S ) - Hindolam - T
6 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return and 4 mins swaras

03. Gargeya vAsana (RS)—hameer kalyani - ST
04A. satatam tAvaka pada sEvanam ( R,N,S,T) - kharaharapriya - ST
13 mins alapana and ?? Mins violin return
madhusUdana shaurE neraval for ?? Mins
Swaras for ?? Mins
04B. Tani for 9 mins

05. Ninnu jeppa karanamEmi - mandari - patnam

06. RTP in bilahari for just 19 mins
Palllavi line was aRul per guruvara adi sundara, hara pura hara shiva Shankara
Swaras in bilahari + Ranjani + shree ranjani + ?? + vanaspathi(hopefully not ganamurthi) ???

07. ......Bhagavantham Padmanabhan - sindhu Bhairavi - ST???
08. Tana deem ta dheem - ninnai sharan adaindeN - Mishra mAnd - LGJ

rajeshnat

Re: NJ Nandini@Music Academy on Dec 16th, 2023

Post by rajeshnat »

After hearing Sruti went to Parthasarathi sabha to get tickets for the evening concert of Waugh Brothers, thought I can have mini lunch or some tiffin at Arusuvai in Partha . They said Lunch is Rs 550 INR . Then I thought let me walk to academy and have some thing to eat before NJ Nandini . I was hungry and asked academy canteen lunch , they said the same Rs 550. Just like how airports and airlines force you to check in early and do the security check early where you have no choice to eat , I did have my lunch in academy for Rs 550 . Lunch was great and too heavy, headed from there to NJ Nandini concert at 01 30 PM. I think canteens are becoming only NRI friendly .

NJ Nandini has learnt considerably from late parasala ponnammal . I picked her up as my past experiences were quite deep and also 2 hour concert in academy will usually bring the best of musicians . Also considering , she being from Trivandrum her opportunities in margazhi may be limited . NJ Nandini has great voice , her ideas are anchored with sampradaya purity. She started with a rare poorvikalyani that had limited impact . The second hindolam was very well sung ,from the alapana to the defining kriithi of hindolam , her presentation was lovely . I could spot a bit of say raja Gopalakrishnan and a bit of pantula Rama there

Hameerkalyani with an alapana and the rare Krithi of swati was well presented . The grand main was the grand raga that her paramaguru SSI used to master . The entire presentation of main was clinical. I particularly liked the alapana the most . The fast filler in mandari was a good drop . I certainly did not anticipate a Pallavi in bilahari . She presented a very delightful alapana , taanam was too quick . She could have apportioned bit more time for RTP , dropping say mandari or hammer was what I felt would have given better delivery for RTP . The Pallavi line was too much of words which is fine but did not fit that well with her below 20 mins Pallavi . Swaras were way too fast , I think I spotted Ranjani, sree ranjani and may be vanaspathi. Swaras with exchange of violin did not create that much impact , she could have gone with just 1 plus 2 , instead of 1 plus 4 ragamalika swaras.One thukkada was new to me in Sindhu Bhairavi may be that was another swati Thirunal number , the best was her maand Thillana of LGJ very well presented

Violinist was bit slow and tentative during the course of song, all his alapana returns were done with the Jeeva pidis of that ragam. Percussion mrudangam artist was quite slow and there was a lag and little more muscle would have helped . Ghatam artist is new to me and he matched well for significant part . Percussion department could have been a notch better to match the ideas of NJ Nandini.

Overall a very good concert for 2 hours .

rajeshnat

Re: NJ Nandini@Music Academy on Dec 16th, 2023

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================

----------------------------------------------------
Vocal : NJ Nandini
Violin : Sriram Sridhar (disciple of LGJ Krishnan and Padma Shankar)
Mrudangam : Kishore Ramesh (son of R Ramesh who is disciple of Karaikudi mani)
Ghatam : Karthik Krishnaswamy

Concert Type : Non Nirvana - concert to follow , Non Ticketed concert
Duration -2 hours

GLICSPAWES 2023 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #7 of 12 is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=380968#p380968