Suryaprakash@Kedaram sabha (RTP concert) on Feb 08th ,2024

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Kumbakonam M R Gopinath
Mrudangam : Melakaveri Balaji
Ghatam : Trichy Murali

Concert Type : Nirvana - no concert to follow , Non Ticketed concert
Day : Thursday
Duration -2 hours and 15 mins
Theme : Exclusive RTP concert, RTP in Bhairavi

Sabha/Hall : Kedaram/ Ragasudha Hall
Time : 06:15 to 08:30 pm

0.Brief introduction by Shri Kedarnath
01. Siddhi Vinayakam (R S)- Shanmughapriya - MD
2 mins alapana with no violin return
6 mins swaras

02. Ananda natana prakasam(R) - kedaram - MD
4 mins alapana and 3 mins violin return in Kedaram

03. Entha VedukO (N,S) - saraswati manohari - T
Neraval in cinta tIrcuTake nta mODirA for 2 mins
6 mins swaras

04. RTP in Bhairavi for 1 hour 14 mins

Raaga alapana in 1 rounds of vocal and violin - 20 mins vocal and 10 mins violin and then second round of alapana for 2 mins only by vocal

Taanam (without and with mrudangam) for 18 mins where with mrudangam was for 12 mins

Pallavi line is kA guhA Murugaa neeyE , Bhairavi Priya sE
Taalam - Pancha nadai (5 nadais) in tisnar roopakam , he made a reference acknowledging Mannargudi Eswaran
Swaras in Bhairavi + salaga bhairavi + ahir bhairav

04B. Tani was for 14Mins

05A. Viruththam - VanamAl varayE - sindhubhairavi + Nanmai aRulsei - kurinji - Paasuram
05B. Bruhi mukhundEdi - Kurinji - NT

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash@Kedaram sabha (RTP concert) on Feb 08th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

The joy of listening to Bhairavi RTP was indeed fascinating to me . Suryaprakash is at times more mistaken for his MMI school but he has more shade of SSI as most of his gurus are from this school . There was a lot of semmangudi electric Cheenu in Bhairavi. The alapana was well done no fragmentation , he sang quite varied countours of Bhairavi with layering of intense nadaswara piDi. Bhairavi is one of my favourite BIG 6 ragas. THe ragam Bhairavi jallows every singer to have a tinge of arresting restrained typecast , in the sense it does not go as ballistic as say KambOdhi , but still if there is a lot of nadaswara piDi karavais if added in Bhairavi,there is this right comfort of right power and restraint . What a queen or ragam is bhairavi , one of my top favourite big 6 ragas.

The best of best was indeed the taanam . They say RTP is the crowing glory of Carnatic Music. I would humbly drill down that statement as taanam with mrudangam is the key part of the crowing glory segment of the concert . There is a tug of war with violin and vocalist and with very clean solkattu of mrudangam by melacauvery with density and no banging strokes those 12 mins of taanam with mrudangam were brilliant

The pallavi line was apt and the swaras segment of all 3 ragas was well done . Particularly to hear Ahirbhairavi for such a long cycle where he only showcased the early part that had brief minimal pointer of the song ullathil nalla Ullam of Karna movie like swaras, then the long cycle of racy swaras of Ahirbhairav in a long cycle was manodharmam at its best .The preceding Salaga Bhairavi was very well done very very semmangudish. I wish he had come in reverse but he did not .

Priori to RTP the leisurely Kedaram ananda katana Prakasam was a top pick . The Saraswathimanohari high energy neraval and swaras were very MMI ish. THe thukkada ending with bruhi mukhundedi was well done and I did not anticipate that finish at all. Please do bring finish like SSI bruhi mukhandeti , I am losing a bit of interest in mmi-tvs finish at times , For eg I was thinking when pasuram was on he may go to Srinivasa tiruvenkata but he going with electric cheenu bruh mukhundeti was very well done and new experience.

Gopinath violin was at his best during Bhairavi, for the first few songs his followup during song rendition was not as excellent as during alapana or taanam followup after alapana and taanam. Both the percussionist , the play of mrudangam during taanam by melakaveri was fantastic . Trichy murali was not a push over and he kept it very well without the sag. Now I forget how the tani was there but it was crisp and went with the flow of RTP giving adequate time for a viruththam and a bouncing bruhi mukhendhedi

Special Shout out also for Kedaranath -KEdaram sabha.
———————————————————————————————
In one of the intros, shri kedarnath said I Am following nadopasana Srinivasan and NV Subramaniam. They are all great sabha patrons and I wish him best of luck to fill their shoes . He also told he is the cousin of hamsadhwani sundar . Two cousins(Hamsadhwani Sundar and Kedarnath Kedaram) in the city of 1 crore plus were only giving carnatic music in the dry spell of February. Kudos to sabha patrons, though this concert was actually scheduled on early Dec , but due to rains it got postponed to Feb. IN a way it is a blessing for me as there is a chance to lose due to too many concerts in Dec

All said Palakkad Ramprasad followed by Suryaprakash gave me carnatic intensity with their double bonanza in reetigowlai and Bhairavi . I wish them the best to put their heads anchored with such rich sampradaya fllled Ragam Taanam pallavi where they did not have to rush to finish in 30 mins.

Overall an excellent to outstanding concert for 2 hours and 10 mins

rajeshnat

Re: Suryaprakash@Kedaram sabha (RTP concert) on Feb 08th ,2024

Post by rajeshnat »

========For Whatsapp or FaceBook Forward ===================================
-----------------------------------------------------------
Vocal : Suryaprakash
Violin : Kumbakonam M R Gopinath
Mrudangam : Melakaveri Balaji
Ghatam : Trichy Murali

Theme : Exclusive RTP concert, RTP in Bhairavi

GLICSPAWES 2024 "Goto LIve Concert Show PAtronage Without Excuses Series" concert #3 of xy is done.

www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=381365#p381365