Manohari.

Rāga related discussions
Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Hi everyone,

Ragam Manohari-

The ragam being the Janya of 22nd Melakartha- Kharaharapriya.
The aarohanam avarohanam being SGRGMPDS - SDPMGRS - Sadharna Gandharam, Chatusruthi rishabham, Suddha Madhyamam, Chatusruthi Dhaivatham, being a Ni varjya ragam.

One such song I do know is Paritapamu ganiyadina by thyagaraja, rupakam talam.

Incidently I came to know of quite a few aarohana and avarohana's for this ragam being :

Also as a 'r'i varjya ragam - S G M P D N S - S N D P M G S from Dr. Bhagyalakshmi's book Raagas in Carnatic music.

manOhari S G2 R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S D2 D2 P M1 G2 R2 G2 S
manOhari S G2 R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S
manOhari S G2 R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S N2 D2 M1 G2 R2 G2 S
manOhari S G2 R2 M1 P N2 S-S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S
manOhari S R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S from karnatik.com

Can anyone throw light on the aarohanam avarohanams, raga bhava, dattu prayogas, raga sancharas and songs in this ragam.

Thanks.

Nandy.

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

The post prompted me to rummage through my collection and I heard the krithi (DKJ's rendition, with TR & Ramesh dated as 3/82) after a long time.

yAm petra Inbam....
http://file.uploadr.com/cd45

I remember in the early 70s I heard a AIR concert of BVR/BVL featuring ragas that ended with "Manohari" and my dad and I had a lively discussion thereafter on all the Manoharis. I recently came across a quiz in one of the web sites listing 11 Manoharis.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I do not know the raga lakshana of manOhari, but when I first listened to the clip, Arabhi was the first thing that came to my mind.:rolleyes: :( Later on there were flashes of Karaharapriya on downward winding phrases.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Vasanthakokilam,

Yes Manohari is a rare ragam, it is something new, that is why it will be nice if somebody can give us a clue about this ragam.

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

rganesh,

Thank you for posting Paritapamu by DKJ. The same song by O.S. Thyagarajan :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHmIbxSJhZo

Can you type in the different 11 Manohari's. We can discuss them one by one in this thread.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Well, this is what I can remember now

manohari
kamalA manOhari
mAdhava manOhari
guhamanOhari
gouri manOhari
ISa manOhari
saraswatI manOhari
jayamnOhari
ramAmanOhari

Falls short of the given number (11) -but may be good to start off`:)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

dEva manOhari

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The list has more than 11 items. Apart from what has been listed here are the others:
ambamanOhari, bhAvamanOhari, bhUpALamanOhari, budhamanOhari, dEshyamanOhari, dEvamanOhari, dharaNimanOhari, dhAtumanOhari, enAnkamanOhari, gandharvamanOhari, haramanOhari, jaganmanOhari, kandarpamanOhari, lalitamanOhari, mEcamanOhari, mukundamanOhari, nArAyaNamanOhari, nATyamanOhari, navamanOhari, puSpamanOhari, rAgamanOhari, rAjamanOhari, rangamanOhari, saumyamanOhari, sEnAmanOhari, shivAlayamanOhari, shivanamOhari, shrImAdhavamanOhari, shrImanOhari, shuddhamanOhari, sudhAmanOhari and vasntamanOhari.

Of course a mjority of these are not in current usage.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

ambamanOhari seems to be in vogue in HM ...

The quiz here http://www.carnatica.net/brainform1.htm states that there are 12 manOharis.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

vasanthakokilam wrote:ambamanOhari seems to be in vogue in HM ...

The quiz here http://www.carnatica.net/brainform1.htm states that there are 12 manOharis.
Thanks for the quiz site !

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

Some Manoharis…..

Dr S.Ramanathan’s rendition (MSG & TKM) of MD’s Krithi in Ishamanohari:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wpbszj

SSI’s rendition of MD’s Krithi – Madhava Manohari
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wvxtg0

TRS-MC-TVG Yagnadulu - Jayamanohari
http://www.sendspace.com/file/761k2c
Last edited by rganesh on 27 Feb 2007, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

tyAgarAjA's manOhari (paritApamu) and dIkShitar's manOhari (akin to kamalamanOhari - see SaNkaram abhirAmi) are entirely different - these dont seem to be two interpretations of one original rAga; rather, it seems that two different rAgA lineages coincidentally produced rAgAs of the same name. Corrections welcomed from the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

Ashwin

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Ashwin,

As far as I know, Manohari by St. Thyagaraja is derived from Kharaharapriya mela. The different aarohanas and avarohanas being :

manOhari S G2 R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S D2 D2 P M1 G2 R2 G2 S
manOhari S G2 R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S N2 D2 M1 G2 R2 G2 S
manOhari S G2 R2 M1 P N2 S-S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S
manOhari S R2 G2 M1 P D2 S-S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S from karnatik.com

Although I seem to hear more of the S R2 G2 M1 P D2 S - S D2 P M1 G2 R2 S in DKJ's and OS. Thyagarajan's version of Paritaapamu posted here. Correct me if I am wrong.

Manohari by M. Dikshitar also called Kamalamanohari is derived from 33rd Mela Gangeyabhushani.

Aarohanam and avarohanam : S G3 M1 P N3 S - S N3 D1 P M1 G3 S.

Here is a flute recital by BN Suresh - Kanjadalaayadaakshi in Kamalamanohari.
http://www.sangeethapriya.org//Download ... resh2.html

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks ramakriya :) and Lakshman for the list.

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

rganesh,
The MDR rendition is the Kedara kriti Samayamide nannu brova, not the Budha manohari kriti.

knrh05
rganesh wrote:Some Manoharis…..

Budha Manohari is attributed to HMB ; MDR’s rendition -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6khpw3

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

Knrh05,
Thanks for the clarification. My indexing is apparently wrong. Sorry I should have checked before posting it.
Ganesh

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Ashwin wrote:tyAgarAjA's manOhari (paritApamu) and dIkShitar's manOhari (akin to kamalamanOhari - see SaNkaram abhirAmi) are entirely different - these dont seem to be two interpretations of one original rAga; rather, it seems that two different rAgA lineages coincidentally produced rAgAs of the same name. Corrections welcomed from the more knowledgeable members of the forum.

Ashwin
Given that Tyagaraja composed paritApamu on the last day of his life, (or somewhere around that time), the other (kamalA) manOahri might be the older rAga. Also MD has at several places indicated the rAga name from the other school when possible (eg: haimavatIm hariyuvatIm) - So he may have intentionally introduced the word kamalA in kanjadaLAyatAkShi.

-Ramakriya

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

Ashwin,

I remember in mid 90's , I attended a Lec-dem by Prof Visweswaran in Singapore on ragas of dual identity. He has released a CD on the same subject.

http://www.musicplusvideo.com/carninst9.html

I was not able to comprehend the intricacies then ( not sure if I will be able to do so now also) but I do remember and cherish a lovely Kanchadalaya Dakshi by the Vinika.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Given that Tyagaraja composed paritApamu on the last day of his life, (or somewhere around that time), the other (kamalA) manOahri might be the older rAga. Also MD has at several places indicated the rAga name from the other school when possible (eg: haimavatIm hariyuvatIm) - So he may have intentionally introduced the word kamalA in kanjadaLAyatAkShi.

-Ramakriya
What is intriguing is that MD used the rAga mudra "kamalamanOhari" in kanjadaLAyatAkShi, but "manOharam" in SankaramabhirAmi. Does this suggest that there may be technical differences between MDs own interpretation of the two rAgAs?

Ashwin
Last edited by Ashwin on 27 Feb 2007, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

rganesh wrote:Ashwin,

I remember in mid 90's , I attended a Lec-dem by Prof Visweswaran in Singapore on ragas of dual identity. He has released a CD on the same subject.

http://www.musicplusvideo.com/carninst9.html

I was not able to comprehend the intricacies then ( not sure if I will be able to do so now also) but I do remember and cherish a lovely Kanchadalaya Dakshi by the Vinika.
Thanks rganesh, Im looking forward to getting my hands on this recording!

Ashwin

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Ashwin wrote:

-Ramakriya
What is intriguing is that MD used the rAga mudra "kamalamanOhari" in kanjadaLAyatAkShi, but "manOharam" in SankaramabhirAmi. Does this suggest that there may be technical differences between MDs own interpretation of the two rAgAs?

Ashwin
I dont think there was any difference between kamalAmanOhari of Tyagaraja and manOhari of MD (except that the latter is said to be a janya of gangAtarangiNi, while the first is normally described as a janya of mAyAmALavagouLa).

As per MD, the rAga name is only manOhari. He *may* have used the phrase kamalAmanOhari, because he was aware of Tyagaraja's school which called it kamalAmanOhari. Even here the mudre is tobe taken only as manOhari. The case is similar to the phrase sudhAtarngiNi in mAyE tvam yAhi, where the real mudre is only tarngiNi.

MD has not composed in Tyagaraja's manOhari.

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 27 Feb 2007, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

DKJ-TR-KM - Samyamidhe-Budhamanohari - HMB

http://www.sendspace.com/file/d47v3u

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks rganesh for all the recordings posted.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

The other songs in Manohari :

Varnams:
Sri kamalamba sada- adi- ramaswamy diskshithar
Samiga natho - adi - Ponayya Pillai

Krithi

Sathyame-adi-Periyaswami Thooran
Sankaramabhirami - M. Diskshithar
Kanjadalaayadakshi - M. Dikshithar

If anyone can get hold of any other songs in Manohari apart from the songs already posted here, it'll be great to get more knowlege of Manohari - Dikshithar school and Thyagaraja school as well.

Thanks,

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks rganesh for all the cliipings of different Manoharis.

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Ramakriya,

Just wanted to clarify the statement -

"dont think there was any difference between kamalAmanOhari of Tyagaraja and manOhari of MD (except that the latter is said to be a janya of gangAtarangiNi, while the first is normally described as a janya of mAyAmALavagouLa)."

I thought Thyagaraja's Manohari was from Mela Kharaharapriya and MD'S Manohari from Mela Gangeyabhushani. Correct me

Thanks.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Here is Shanakaramabhirami by Bajaji shankar from Musicindiaonline:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/c ... /ragam.90/

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Nandy wrote:Ramakriya,

Just wanted to clarify the statement -

"dont think there was any difference between kamalAmanOhari of Tyagaraja and manOhari of MD (except that the latter is said to be a janya of gangAtarangiNi, while the first is normally described as a janya of mAyAmALavagouLa)."

I thought Thyagaraja's Manohari was from Mela Kharaharapriya and MD'S Manohari from Mela Gangeyabhushani. Correct me

Thanks.
Tyagaraja has composed in one rAga called manOhari (paritApamu) and another rAga called kamalAmanOhari (nI muddu mOmu); The latter rAga with the nominal scale s g3 m1 p n3 s - s n3 d1 p m1 g3 s is labled as a janya of mAyAmALAvagouLa (or may be even sarasAngi); This rAga is identical in treatment to the rAga called as manOhari by Muttuswamy dikshita; He has composed two krtis (shankaramabhirAmI manOharam and kanjadaLAyatAkShI in this rAga.

And gangAtarangiNi is the 33rd asampUrNa mELa which MD followed, occupying the same slot as gAngEyabhUshaNi in the sampURna mELa.

While on this, are there any available tracks of the gangAtarangiNi kriti of MD ? Please post if there are any.
-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 28 Feb 2007, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks Ramakriya. I am really clear now.

Nandy.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the link for the audio of a song, in gangatarangiNi, by Dikshitar:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tz0sbf

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

Nandy wrote:Thanks Ramakriya. I am really clear now.
Agreed, that was very clear. Thanks Ramakriya.

rganesh

Post by rganesh »

We have active threads now on Kamalamanohari, Revagupti and Tarangini....

SSI (Chatur-raga slokamalika featuring the three ragas and Hamsadhawani)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/o3y1os

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Lakshman

Thanks for the clip in gangAtarangiNi

-Ramakriya

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks Lakshman.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Varnams:
Sri kamalamba sada- adi- ramaswamy diskshithar
Samiga natho - adi - Ponayya Pillai

Krithi
Sathyame-adi-Periyaswami Thooran

Does anyone have these songs in (pure Manohari) who can post them.

Thanks,

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Since we have also discussed Kamalamanohari in detail here, can anybody post St. Thyagaraja's Kamalamanohari songs. We have already heard MD's Kamalamanohari/Manohari songs- Shankaramabhirami and Kanjadalaayadakshi.

Thanks.

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

rganesh,

Thanks for the Chatur-raga slokamalika by SSI.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Hi everyone,

Can anybody upload more songs in Madhava Manohari.

Mahalakshmi Karunarasa = Muthuswamy Dikshithar
Kripasagara - Mutthaiah Bhagavathar

If anybody can throw light on more songs in this ragam and can upload any songs they have with them, it'll be great
Also discussion on details of the ragam and all its characteristics will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nandy.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Ramakriya,

Could you give me any idea on Guha manohari.

Thanks.

Nandy