The Isai Mazhalai Business By Apaswaram Ramhji

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
sathsangeethapriyan

Post by sathsangeethapriyan »

Three Cheers and Kudos to Apaswaram Ramhji in finding a great business in the name of Isai Mazhalai identifying young vidyarthis and their over enthusiastic parents. After his unsuccessful career as a drummer, leader of a music group and a few more Ramhji wanted to use his clout in the film field thanks to the legacy of his genius father K.Subramaniam and his own stint and associations in film music and presented film music by children. With those few expensive and elaborate shows ramhji may not have regained his lost demand but found an easier establisment in carnatic music crowning him the saviour of carnatic music of future, the only magician who can uplift the hidden mass of talents in carnatic music thanks to the aspiring parents who saw a complete musician in their sons and daughter the day they started learning. Ramhji is talented in many ways. He can organise, mobilise funds, establish network (no harm in these) but also can misguide by establishing areawise schools with unworthy teachers, projecting himself as the sole guide and promoter of the young talents playing a mockery of the gurus who painstakingly have given gnana to these children and sometimes to shift from a strict guru to a moderate brand name!. Unfortunately Gurus do not go around seeking opportunities for their disciples (wards of the zealous parents) and appear inferior. There are ofcourse some musicians who rejoice at every opportunity for showing their face on the speaking platforms coming to vouch Ramhji's great service to carnatic music. Let us ignore the hipocrats who say thorough knowledge, sadaka, acquiring knowledge by listening and attaining maturity naturally alone can bring out a good musician. They do not know what fun in carnatic music is!
some years back we have heard of parents asking the teacher within a few days of initiation "when will my son be performing in the TV?" Nowadays they don't ask. Because they come for Vidyarambha only after booking with Ramhji!

The worst affected are the teenage musicians and percussionists who find the afternoon junior concert slots in various organisations, where they regularly perform entirely booked for performances by Isai Mazhalai. The organisers find their work much easier nowadays in this wholesale!

Dear Rasikas, I have nothing personal against Ramhji or his ambitions. I have a strong circle of genuine musicians and worthy teachers in carnatic music as my friends who have personally experienced the change of attitude, disrespect in students and their parents after leaning towards Ramhji and becoming a proud member of Isai Mazhalai. I am reflecting their out pourings because they are too humble and vary gracious enough to publicly criticise.

rrao13

Post by rrao13 »

A small group of youngsters (teenagers) from Isai Mazhalai (sp?) came to perform in Cleveland Thyagaraja Aradhana and later on started touring a few US cities. I was fortunate to watch them peform in Detroit Parashakthi temple and was totally impressed with their talent. There were 3 singers, two violinists and one Mridangist. Their concert was very well recieved by all the rasikas who attended. I think they performed in Chicago temple last week end. If you are in USA, check your local temple to see if they are coming over to perform and if so, dont miss it.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

sathsangeethapriyan wrote:Dear Rasikas, I have nothing personal against Ramhji or his ambitions.
I came to the same conclusion after reading your post...!!!:)

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

@sathsangeethapriyan,
Your post is quite a balanced review of Ramjhi's "exploits". Having said that, I would like to mention that he promotes only the best of talent (the shows on Jaya TV stand testimony. I still remember the small boy who sang ninne nammitinayya like a vidwan). What Ramjhi seems to be doing is to just provide a platform for those "kids" who have immense talent. I don't find anything wrong with that. And he does not book every sabha's afternoon slot. IIRC, he had booked only the KGS's afternoon slot last year. I attended 2 concerts and they were absolute gems. So, what's wrong with promoting good talent? TO say the least, I don't know him personally at all and am no supporter of Ramjhi. But I do feel he's doing something good for music.
-bhaktha

chalanata

Post by chalanata »

it is a big lobby and throttles youngsters who do not belong to the group.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2823
This substantiates my point.
-bhaktha

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I have only been to one of his concerts. I walked in quite by chance, on a whim, not knowing who was performing that night, and was spellbound by three teenagers from varnam through thillana to mangalam. And in that respect, the concert was longer and more complete than those of many a long-established artist. Undeniable skill blended with youthful enthusiasm to give a great concert.

It is entirely understandable that these showcase concerts are of the top students --- there is nothing wrong with that.

One hopes too that the lesser students have the opportunity to perform, at least for friends and family, for the shear joy of it. I don't know....