Rag Madhuvanti/Madhubanti

Classical Music of North India
VarunMehta.k

Post by VarunMehta.k »

A friend and I just started practising a few months back. We wanted to find a venue that could critique us every so often. So, I decided to give the users on rasikas.org a try. Getting continous feedback is what keeps me motivated, so, I thank all of you for listening in advance.
I hope we are not too terribl:) The link below is to the recording, mind you that it is a low quality recording. This is a classical piece, Raag Madhubanti (Madhuvanti)...this is a Hindustani raag closely based on the Carnatic Raag.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~akkartik/Varu ... ubanti.wav
What do you think ?? ?? ??
Last edited by VarunMehta.k on 26 Sep 2006, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

VarunMehta.k

Post by VarunMehta.k »

:DThe link is now working! Comment Please!:D
Last edited by VarunMehta.k on 26 Sep 2006, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

wah re wah!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

varun..
here are a few thoughts .

Unable to convey more than just saying that i got a fair impression of madhuvanthi ..
some reasons for this

1.please state what is it that you are looking forward to.A three minute clip that jumps into the faster tempo immediately and gets unplugged without notice is an uncomfortable track for anyone to respond to.
2.I have an uncle who was the only tabla player of my town and so for decades I have heard artists of a wide range come and practise .Drawing from this expereince I would advise you to avoid the harmonium in practice sessions-(It looks like you were playing it yourself -or the tabla?)
And I say not because of the purists attitude towards this instrument , but knowing that in practice sessions a budding vocalist is told to avoid accompaniments - otherwise they get into the habit of singing in a complementary manner and not expose themselves in the tricky phrases.Even top notch performers in HM use the harmonium in a manner that never interferes with their music but more as an extended drone.

2.You did slip up on the scale on three occasions and that is unpardonable.-but again it is related to speed of singing.
3.I would have personaly preferred a vilambith composition.That to my mind is what HM is all about.Fast paced compositions run like the storm water runoff - showcasing a heightened sense of excitement on a canvas where languorous sentiments once roamed.so it is best that they always appear after a vilambith rendering.

To sum up
If it was a rehearsed complete piece up for display, take care that you are not playing an instrument (harmonium or tabla) while singing and that the piece is complete in all respects.
Or if it was a practice session up for display , make it a vilambith compostion , tune down the level of accompaniments and pick a composition that goes soft with the melody ...
Unless you are from the Fayyaz khan school.

..Now let me run for cover..
I can see Borun looking for anything handy that can work as a missile ( Borun let me put it this way-Fayyaz Khan is the only singer who can get away by singing those violent compositions !)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

let me also add that except for the likes of abhisheki , parveen rashid and ajoy chakraborthy , this raga rarely makes its presence in a vocalists performance (though very pouplar with instrumentalists)
so your rendering will indeed be a refreshing change !

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Kanda naal (N S Chidambaram) by SKR (Sangeethapriya link) - (Lyrics from karnATik)
Last edited by thanjavur on 18 May 2007, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.