Sugandha Kalamegam

Carnatic Musicians
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Does anyone have non-commercial tracks of this artist to share? I fell in love with her voice when I heard her sing 'pUnkuyli kUvum pUnchOlaiyil oru nAL' many years ago...her version of this song is next only to the immortal version of DKP's. I would like to listen some more: here is a review of a concert in Chennai:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/06/16/stor ... 220300.htm

Ravi

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

MIO has some tracks of hers... tanigai valar and somasundareswaram come to mind...

i have heard a beautiful tanigai valar and madhurambikayam (deshi simharavam aka hemavati) in a DD telecast with Shriram Kumar on the violin...

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

I have attended some of her concerts in late 80s and 90s in Chennai and often wondered why she didn’t get the deserved attention.Very pleasant lady with a very good voice.Her selection of songs and the way of presentaion,all good.
Learnt under Sandhayavandanam Srinivasa Rao,T.K.GovindaRao,Madirimangalam Ramachandran and Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan.
Hindu review concert was held in Coimbatore(not in Chennai) by Rajalakshmi Fine Arts.They conduct regular concerts and annual season in September.They have a good sound system,not over amplified and the concerts used to last for 3 hrs,not less.

veghavahini

Post by veghavahini »

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Sangeethapriya (Sugandha Kalamegham) links

sakala kalA vAni (varnam) - Hindolam - Adi - GNB (contribution - Nandakumar)

Concert at Narada Gana Sabha - 24th Oct 2006 (contribution - R Ramachandran)

Sugandha Kalamegham - Vocal
Mysore Srikanth - Violin
K Arun Prakash - Mridangam
B S Purushothaman - Ganjira

All compositions are by Muthuswamy Dikshitar

01 Raktha Ganapathim - Mohanam - Adi
02 Angarakam Ashrayamyaham - Surutti - Rupakam
03 Santhana Ramaswaminam - Hindolavasantham - Adi
04 Sri Dum Durge - Sriranjani - Khandaeka
05 Arunachala Nadham - Saranga - Rupakam
06 Pahimam Rathnachalanayaka - Mukhari - Adi
07 Kanjadalayathakshi - Kamalamaohari - Adi
08 Akshaya Linga Vibho - Sankarabharanam - Misrachapu
09 Akilandeshwari - Dwijavanti - Adi
10 Mangalam (Lalitha Parameswari) - Surutti - Rupakam

Concert at Musiri's House (2002) (contribution - R Ramachandran)

01 Varnam - Bhairavi - Ata - Paschimiriyam Adiyappayya
02 PavanathmaJagatha - Nattai - Khandachapu - Dikshitar
03 Srikanch Nayake - Asaveri - Adi - Annaswami Sastry
04 Chinnandena - Kalavathi - Adi - Thyagarajar
05 Bahumera - Sankarabharanam - Rupakam - Veenai Kuppier
06 Brahadambikayai - Vasanta - Misrachapu - Dikshitar
07 Kripajuchutaju - Chayatarangini - Adi - Thyagarajar
08 Kaddanu Variki - Todi - Adi - Thyagarajar
09 Orudharam - Ragamalikai
10 Irakkam Varamal - Behag - Rupakam - Gopalakrishna Bharathi
11 Sompaian - Ahiri - Misrachapu - Thyagarajar
12 Bhajan - Ahirbhairavi - Kabirdas
13 Manadirkkugandadhu - Sindhubhairavi - Adi - Thanjavur Sankara Iyer
14 Thillana - Khamas - Adi
Last edited by thanjavur on 12 Jun 2007, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Sangeethapriya - R Ramachandran link (MS Word document)
Sugandha kalmegham is an artiste of repute in the Carnatic Music cicle. She is well known for upholding the traditions of this art form.

She had her initial training under Shri Kadayam Krishnamurthy and Shri Gopala Iyer at Delhi from the age of fourteen. After the initial training she won several first prizes in the various competitions held at Delhi. In 1972 she won the first prize in the All India Radio competitions held at National Level.

The Government of India awarded the prestigious scholarship for higher learning in Music. Under this Scholarship she had further training from Shri Madirimangalam Ramachandran, Chief producer of Carnatic Music, All India Radio.

She had further training from Sangeetha Kalanidhi Shri T.K Govinda Rao and Shri Trivandrum R. Venkataraman, a great Veena exponent. She is one of the few top graded artistes of All India Radio.

She has performed in all the major platforms in many cities in India besides all the reputed sabhas of Chennai. Music Academy, Chennai has chosen her as the best female vocalist of the year on three occasions.

She has performed under All India Radio Sangeet Sammelan in Podichery, Mysore, Mimbai, and Guwahati.

The well known critic Sri Subbudu has featured her in the special project for DoorDharshan on Pancharatna Keertanai of The Immortal saint Thygaraja. Dr Balamuralikrishna featured her in the Utsava Sampradya Krities recorded for the Archives.

She has performed in different centres in UK, France and USA.

With a totally sruti aligned voice her raga elaborations, neravel, and swaram singing have won her acclaim from connoisseurs and critics.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
I am glad you brought her name up. I had not heard of her (don't many worthy singers remain unheard of?)--until someone asked me to listen to her last season. She sang at the Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan mini hall and her concert was ever so pleasing to my ears. Good training, maturity in singing, a soothing voice, nidAnam and clarity in sAhityA. She has a pleasant stage presence too. I remember her son and her little grandchild enjoying her music with us that day. Ishould catch at least one of her concerts next season...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Arasi,
It was really a crazy co-incidence that made me pick out a CD of hers - once when I was browsing thro' Giri Traders' music, my mother saw her CD and said, 'that name - must be named after the devi in the temple in Trichy' (she meant sugandhikuntalAmbAL) - so, out of curiosity, I bought the CD and did not regret it one bit - fell in love with her voice and it's sruti. Although, I have no clue if she was indeed named after maTTuvArkuzhali or not!

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

rshankar wrote:she meant sugandhakuntalAmbAL

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanjavur
It is sungandhikuntaLAmbA only. Recall MD's kannaD kRti "SrI mAtRbhUtam triSiragirinAtham hRdi cintayE sugandhikuntaLAmbAsamEtam".

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, DRS...

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Dr Shrikaanth :
In my profession there is a term called "Ground Truth". It means information
that is collected "on location". Was born and brought up in Tiruchi. Have been to the temple
many times. IT IS sugandhakuntalAmbAL. You can also refer to this page.
Think Sugandhi is the short form of this long name of ambAL.

A saying in Tamil comes to my mind - "ettu suraikkai karikku udhavadhu". Somebody
please translate.
Last edited by thanjavur on 14 Jun 2007, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanjavur
I can give links to a few pages as well. As well as several terms in my profession that I could quote. But that would be an endless argument.

First- I do not need a translation from Tamil
Second- There is no need for you to get all worked up and be rude to me. Ok!

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

thanjavur:
I am glad to oblige.
ETTuc curaikkAy = the picture of a gourd ( a squash variety) on paper
kaRikku = for vegetable supplement (in food preparation)
udaVadu = will not be of use.

I went to school in Trichy too (St. Joseph's college) and visited the ThAyumAnavar temple umpteen times. The priests used to refer to the ambAL as sugandha kuntaLAmbAL (aka maTTuvAr kuzhali ammai). I have several friends whose sisters were named sugandha kuntaLAmbAL (sugandhA for short). sugandhi is also a permitted usage.

prayOgam beats shAstram, if at all shAstram is different from prayOgam ( I read that quote somewhere)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Whatever the reference (beats me), ETTuch churaikkAi is more than an illustration in a book. I think very few books were illustrated before the time when this saying must have come into existence. 'What is written up about a churaik kAi, even a treatise on it is not worth anything when it comes to cooking a dish with it', is what it means. Again, I can't understand the reason for this reference...
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jun 2007, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

HarishankarK

Re: Sugandha Kalamegam

Post by HarishankarK »

Heard her Ambara Chidambara -Surutti and Varasidhdhi Vinayaka - Kanada in youtube and cannot get over it. Most mesmerising.
Highly recommended hearing. I wonder why this artiste does not feature in Margazhi season etc, MUSIC Academy etc - it's Chennai's loss.

Would like to know whether there are any students of Sugandha ji who are performing in Chennai?