Saranga

Rāga related discussions
Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Janya of 65th mela Mecha kalyani.
Aro s r(chatusruti) g(antara) m(prati) p d(chatusruti) n(kakali)
Ava s n d p m r g m(sudha) r s
In the prayoga r g m r s,sudha madhyama comes as anya swara,hence bhashanaga raga
S r s p m p,s d p m,d d p m r are spl sancharas.
Compostions
1.inta modi varna Thiruvatriyur thyagayyar
2.Neevadane Thaygaraja
3.Arunachalam Deekshitar
4.Varadarajam upasmahe.
5.Rangapuri
There are lot saranag ragas in Hindustani,like sudh,brindavani,manmad.Sudh sarang is similar to saranga,but they use madhayamas elaborately, one after the other,which acoording to carnatic,is vivadi

meena

Post by meena »

Radhakrishna

PLEASE let us go through one/2 ragas at a time, indepth, this way we can all learn and discuss the raga/kritis and the ul. Why the rush to explore so many ragas in a day/week???

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

You are right,let us explore(like the Hindustani musicians do,aaraam se!)one or two rahgas at a time..Induvidual taste varies, especially,the internet viewers,from all parts of the world.So I thought by posting three or four,one might click.
I am pretty excited to see a site like this,to share and download what all I gather in 25 years.I was very active in attending concerts,which started in 1980.I have attended concerts of Semmangudi,MS,MLV,DKP,KVN,Ramanathan(both),Santhanam,Voleti,Nookala,BMK,Nedunuri,Lalgudi(the whole family,GJR,Viji,Srimathi,even their relatively unknown sister,Rajalakshmi(?)who is also an excellent violinist was with Bangalore AIR)MSG,TNK,VVS,Chandrasekharan(his vocal concerts also),DKP,Sandhyavandanam,TRS,TVS,TNS,Pasupathy?to the present super star TMK. I used to enjoy and simply leave the place,but now I do not attend that many live concerts and the concert atmosphere,the quality of listeners,all changed,so mentally also,not in good mood to attend concerts.I have attended 5 or 6 Chennai seasons,sometimes from 8 am to 10pm at acdemy,starting from the lec dems.I came to attend one more season after some years,the atmosphere seemed to have changed drastically,lot of new sabhas,people distracted where to go,they come to the hall with the prog list!and never listen.This is my personal opinion which may not be acceptable to many,but the charm is no longer there,though every year more money and energy has been spent and more people coming?.
I thought it is a necessity to share views and experience and Internet is helpful that way.
Thank you for the response,sorry to rush thru,but do post some solid stuff .

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I totally agree with meena. It is crazy to litter the forum with names of all the ragas you know without any focus. I am totally lost as to what is going on. Pl go into depth on a particular raga show your appreciation of the kritis and samples posted and discuss it so that we commoners may also appreciate the beauty. The same goes for discussing artists as well as composers too! This is only a suggestion!

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Here is Arunachala,Deekshitar gem,sung by Gayathri Venkataraghavan,very promising young vocalist.Her gurus are Padma Veeraraghavan,Rugmini Ramani,A.Sundaresan and V.Subramaniam.This piece is from a concert held in 2003.Attended one of her concerts recently and there was a marked improvement in her music,more matured voice,grip over tala(which was evident from the main piece koluva,the niraval and swara for thambura chekoni)

http://rapidshare.de/files/12440821/gayathri

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

sorry,the file may be downloaded at
http://rapidshare.de/files/12440821/gayathri.mp3.html

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Inta modi varna,sung by Ramanathan sir
http://rapidshare.de/files/12445339/inta_modi.mp3.html

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Radhakrishnan,
THANKS for the sAragA pieces: it is one of my favorite rAgams...
I remember as a kid being dragged by my dad to watch an OLD movie: I was fascinated by the tune and the words of a song in it: mAppilai dOi...especially the part 'pEyAndi thanai kandu nI yEndi'...and as I was humming it on my way home, my dad told me that those lines were rendered in sArangA: I have been hooked ever since! Along with rIthigowLai, sArangA remains one of the first rAgams I learnt to identify independently.
THANKS.
Ravi

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Shankar

'pEyaaNDI thanaikkaNDu nee yENDI mayal koNDaay
peNkaLuk kazhakaamO...'

- mamampOl maangalyaM

meena

Post by meena »

does anyone have sree GNB -trivandrum AIR recording with sree VVS on the violin???
acc. to Sanjay Subrahmanyan- he sang a lovely alapana, followed by rama ninne of Poochi's and a cascading flow of kalpana svaras in his typical style. The svaras were particularly interesting as he kept using the phrase 'p m r , g m p,' as a kind of landing phrase.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

meena,
cut-paste from sangeetham..eh?? ;) :P

meena

Post by meena »

thanks venkat
for also lloking up ;) ;)

here is that article:
Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

i remembered that phrase!!! went to sangeetham just to verify..and hey presto!!! :P

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is Arunachala,Deekshitar gem,sung by Gayathri Venkataraghavani
I have some questions about this great composition, maybe CML or DRS (if he is not too busy) can help:
1. The ambAl in tiruaNNAmalai is apithakuchAmbAL, right? (uNNAmulai in tamizh) - will the meaning be changed if it is sung as apIthakuchAmbAL?
2. What is meant by aprAkritha thEjO maya lingam? - I assumed that the phenomenon was natural (prAkritha).
3. What does aparNAbja brindham mean? - I thought that aparNA referred to parvathI when she refused to even eat leaves during her penance to win shivA.
Thanks.
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ambAL in tiruvaNNAmalai is apItakucAmbAL which has exactly the same meaning as uNNAmulaiyAL. apIta means "that which is undrunk".
aprAkRta means extraordinary/supernatural.
The formation is "aparNAbja bhRngam".
aparNa is of course pArvati as you have said. abja is lotus. bhRga is bee. Here aparNa is metaphorically called a lotus. Thus ISvara is the "bee that is attracted to the lotus that is pArvati".

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, DRS

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

i want notations for this saranga song. Varadarajam upasmahe_Muthuswami dikshitar kriti.
any clippings also.
thx venkmal

meena

Post by meena »

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

meena thx a lot
venkmal

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Hi Venkmal
Here is an audio clipping of Varadaraajamupaasmahe concluded with a beautiful Kalpanswaram by Sri TVS
http://rapidshare.de/files/12701547/Saaranga.mp3.html

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Saranga and Hamir Kalyani have influenced the film world extremely well:

Konja Neram Nammai Marendhe... TMS & S Janaki (music: MSV) ... Saranga
Chandrodhayam Oru Penn ... TMS & P Suseela (music: MSV) ..... Hamir Kalyani

[Talking about the film songs that are used as derivatives for a discerning learner of Carnatic Music, I am sure that all of you would have heard the Kamas in Malleswari telugu movie (music by Rajeswara Rao). DD Madras had telecast this movie on a Sunday afternoon sometime in 1982 - when we had black & white TVs].

Kaumaaram

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

Kiransurya Thx A Lot For The Saranga Clip Venkmal

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Meena
One of the best Rama Ninne by GNB I have heard is from the concert where he sings an elaborate Evara Madugudura in Kalyani.Wonder if Badri has it.If not I will dig it out

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Saranga and Hamir Kalyani have influenced the film world extremely well:
Konja Neram Nammai Marendhe... TMS & S Janaki (music: MSV) ... Saranga
Chandrodhayam Oru Penn ... TMS & P Suseela (music: MSV) ..... Hamir Kalyani
Kaumaaram
Kaumaaram,
I still maintain that the best sArangA in tamizh films is the small part in the song 'mAppliLLai dOi' from 'manam mOl mAngalyam' (thanks CML)...
And for me, the illustrative hamIrkalyANI is from karNan: 'yen uyir thOzhi kEL oru seidhi'...
Ravi

meena

Post by meena »

till badri digs in for the concert ;)

meanwhile enjoy this folks-

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

shankar

You must listen KJY's
'chakravartini ninakku ~jnaan en shilpa gOpuram thurannu'... for a fantastic Hamir kalyani. I wonder whether anybody has a full recording! I will search too! Here is just the first part
http://202.138.97.7/ramgen/~saregama/ML01136.rm

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Finally got the full version. Here it is
http://www.malayalavedhi.com/Music/Musi ... ____KJY.ra

abadri

Post by abadri »

Meena
One of the best Rama Ninne by GNB I have heard is from the concert where he sings an elaborate Evara Madugudura in Kalyani.Wonder if Badri has it.If not I will dig it out
Sorry folks - don't have this concert with me.
I'm afraid I'll have to force Kji to dig it out.
Kji, sorry for ading to your work and thanks in advance.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML,
How does one play the files from malayalavedhi.com?
Ravi

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You scroll to rhe extreme right and click on the green circle with a triangle inside of it (next to RA).

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

shankar
The clip I posted plays by itself. As you notice there is a good collection of CM/HM at this site. As Lakshman suggests you can play them! Good site indeed!

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

http://www.karnatik.com/ragass.shtml#saaranga
saaranga

65 mEca kalyaaNi janya

Aa: S R2 G3 M2 P D2 N3 S
Av: S N3 D2 P M2 R2 G3 M1 R2 S

Songs : aaNDaaL kalyaaNam (minnal koDiyO) 3 - AMK
aarabhimaanam (caraNam 1) - TPA
bhuvanaatrayutam (pallavi) - BN
Emi dOva balkumaa - T
Ehi trijagadeesha - also shankaraabharaNam - T
enta bhaagyamu - T
gaNanaathanE - PT
intamODi sEya (varNam) - TT
karuNa jooDavayya - T
maamava raghuraama - T
mahaabala gireesham - HB
mahaabalEshwara - HB
neevaaDa nE gaana - T
ODanu jaripE - T
raama ninnE nammitini - RS
shree vishwanaatam bhajEham 10 - D
varadaraaja mupaasmahE - D

Film songs : aruL nyaana vaDivElan (muttukkumaarasaami sharmaa)
ilakkaNam mArudho (nizhal nijamAhiradhu)
Iravum nilavum (Karnan)
konja nEram ennai marandEn (sirittu vaazh vENDum)
Konja neeram ennai marande (urimai kural)
KannE pAppA
maappiLLaiDOy (manampOl maangalyam)
nee vaaDenekaanaa (tyagaiyaa)
Oru dEvadai
sandirOdayam oru peNNaanadO (sandirOdayam)

type: ekanya bhaashaanga (M1) raagam, madhyama kaala pradhana raagam
phrases: rgm1rs
time: evening

First mentioned music literature in the 18th century. We know the technical aspects of
Saranga from the kritis of Thyagarajar and Muthuswamy Dikshitar. It has been mentioned
as a Janya Ragam of Kalyani in GOVINDA's Sankraha Choodamani. Nothing about the Bhashanga
Swaras for this ragam has been mentioned.

It also has 2 other scales: Sa Ri Sa Pa Ma Pa Da Ni Sa, Sa Ni Sa Da Pa Ma Ri Ga Ma* Ri Sa and
Sa Pa Ma Pa Da Ni Sa, Sa Ni Da Pa Ma Ri Ga Ma* Ri Sa
(Ma* is M1).

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Nada Anuboothi

Music Categories > Carnatic - Vocal > Ragas S... > Saranga
has the following tracks,

Arunachala nadham (Dikshitar) by DKJ
Gana Nadane (Periyaswami Thooran) by OST,TVS
Gnana sabhayil (Papanasam Sivan) by Vijay Siva
Karuna joodavaiya (Thyagarajar) by Alathur Brothers
Ram surat guru (Periyaswami Thooran) by KVN
Varadarajam (Dikshitar) by TVS

Aarabhi manam - Ragamalikai (Tarangampadi Panchanada Iyer) by Neyveli Santhanagopalan

Music Categories > Carnatic - Instrumental > Ragas S... > Saranga
has the following track,

Gana Nadane (Periyaswami Thooran) by U Srinivas
Last edited by thanjavur on 13 May 2007, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

thanjavur

Post by thanjavur »

Sangeethapriya (Saranga) links

Arunachala nadham (Dikshitar)
by DKJ (contribution - Sunil)
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/sunil/gu ... m--DKJ.mp3

by Hyd. Brothers (contribution - HMG Murthy)
Song # 022

by KVN (contribution - HMG Murthy)
Song # 021

by Sanjay
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... upakam.mp3

Inta modi - Varnam (Tiruvottriyur Thyagayya)
by Dr SR
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/cgi-bin/g ... mp3&loc=sr

Kanmaniye solladi (Mazhavai Chidambara Bharati)
by Sudha (contribution - TVG)
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~tvg/027. ... -937KB.mp3

Mamava Raghurama (Thyagarajar)
by OST (contribution - Vasu Srinivasan)
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/svasu/02 ... aranga.mp3

by SKR (contribution - KL)
Song # 9 in Zip file
Last edited by thanjavur on 08 Jun 2007, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

HarishankarK

Saranga ragam elaborated - any audio links available?

Post by HarishankarK »

Namastey all

Can anyone give a clue as to if ragam Saranga has been elaborated to a RTP, Main or Submain level by any artiste - vocal or instrumental.
Mostly what I find in youtube/Sangeethapriya - is all max - short alap and crisp swaras and mostly no swaras.
MDR has sung an elaborate Nee vada ne gana - is it?

If anyone knows pls help and provide link(s)- thanks

rajeshnat

Re: Saranga ragam elaborated - any audio links available?

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Merge this thread to saranga thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=252&hilit=saranga

Harishankark
I can tell few things but let the merge first happen.

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

14th ashtapathy by Odayalur kalyanaraman andparty

https://youtu.be/5CUGf98C_2gan

Another one faster pace in female voice

https://youtu.be/SrMw2oMVXVY

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ponbhairavi wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 16:33ashtapathy
Sir: It should be ashTapadi (अष्टपदि) - a verse with 8 pada/meter. ashTapati (अष्टपति) is a polyandrous woman with 8 husbands (अष्टपति - (%{aSTa4-}) mf(%{-patnI})n (%{-pat}) , having eight husbands TA1r.) - I think they have to be contemporaneous (extending bigamy to octogamy, I guess): I do not think that even the much-married and lovely Ms. Elizabeth Taylor would qualify as a अष्टपति. :)

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

thanks rshankar. I realise the)விபரீதம் due to my lack of sanskrit knowledge.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Reg elaborate rendition of Saranga, I understand that Vighnesh Easwar rendered a RTP in Saranga in Academy in 2017 season. I have not heard it.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

CRama wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 13:19 Reg elaborate rendition of Saranga, I understand that Vighnesh Easwar rendered a RTP in Saranga in Academy in 2017 season. I have not heard it.
Thanks but I need audio recording as well to listen to. RTP in Saranga would be very welcome actually

CRama

Re: Saranga

Post by CRama »

Harisankar, Hope you will enjoy this. An elaborate rendition with alapana, neraval, swaram of Gnana sabayil of Papansam Sivan by Palghat Ramprasad. A radio concert.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fl7ees

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajesh saranga experiences
---------------------------
1. Many musicians have sung arunachalam nAtham , this krithi and the raga is bit grand usually musicians take up this kriti with an alapana in between submain and main

2. I would love to hear the RTP that Crama mentioned where vignesh eashwar has sung. i have tasted a combo of saranga-brindavana saranga RTP sung by Suryaprakash . I think apart from me hearing he once sang in chicago which was also reviewed .

3. Nee vada nee gAna is sung by many vidwans / vidushis i particularly cherish one maharajapuram ramachandran rendition that i heard

4. The PT krithi gananathanE is typically sung by TVS and Suryaprakash school .entha bhagyamau the great mMi has sung and has been followed by many with one mandolin srinivas dazzling with his artistry.

5. Vijay siva has sung a rare EmidOva balkuma that i heard . It is a rare thyagaraja krithi in saranga. i think even abhishek has sung it . There is one more rare krithi that Vijay sang , cannot recollect now. Vijay generally takes this raga bit too often than many vidwans/vidushis.

6. One concert vidushi raji gopalakrishnan sang both saranga and kalyani in the same concert with one filler in between .I forgot what she sang that day , only recollect the sabha parthasarathy sabha.

7. saranga varnam inta modi is not that frequent, few instrumentalist have taken this . Personally like saranga varnam openers especially for vocal concerts , voice gets opened well with this stocky raga.

8. ranjani gayathri have sung a saranga-nayaki combo RTP in academy. i have not heard this, there was some write uo.

9. One more saranga series of RTP that i heard in pozhichalur by suryaprakash apart from saranga it had sarangamalhar and saranga nattai , though in raga texture no correlation to raga saranga.

10.If my memory is right , abhishek also has sung a brindavana saranga and saranga combination in an RTP with different lines. I have not heard this , we had some review here.

11. There is also a karuna judavayyya - saranga thyagaraja krithi that maharajapuram santhanam has sung. Not able to recollect apart from santhanam rendition.

Saranga is a very tough raga to impress and it is extremely heavy in texture . Musicians sareeram has to allow on that day to take up this weighty raga. Brother sAranga is heavy and rare and has ceded control to sister kalyani who is fairly ubiquitous especially when vidushi and vidwans throat is konjam thodaiyilla kichu kichu . kalyani is vicks cough drops tablet , saranga is strepsils

CRama

Post by CRama »

Rajesh, apart from so many Sarangas you have listed- Suryaprakash and Maharajapuram topping the list, there is one more song Mamava Raghurama Marakatha manishyama sung by Maharajapuram Santhanam. IIRC, Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer has sung Emitova besides Alathur Bros.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Musiri's Neevadanegana and his neraval at Sathyambu Nithyambu is brilliant.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

I have listened to Maharajapuram Santhanam rendering 'Endabhagyamu' quite elaborately with alapana, kalpanaswara etc. A sumptuous Saranga.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

rshankar wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 18:35
Ponbhairavi wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 16:33ashtapathy

Sir: It should be ashTapadi (अष्टपदि) - a verse with 8 pada/meter. ashTapati (अष्टपति) is a polyandrous woman with 8 husbands....
'Ashtapati' as an exclusive word would mean just 'eight husband(s)' and not necessarily denote 'a woman with eight husbands'. Even to describe husbands of eight women, the usage must be in plurality.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

CRama wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 13:36 there is one more song Mamava Raghurama Marakatha manishyama sung by Maharajapuram Santhanam.
Crama,
I have heard nee vAda nee gAna sung in saranga by maharajapuram santhanam. Where did you hear santhanam singing this mamava raghurama , is that one of your days where you rode your bike in bangalore or trivandrum where you forgot to take the recorder. Are you sure santhanam has sung mamava
Searching in you tube I find mamava raghurama has been taken up by s kalyanaraman and trichur ramachandran. I just heard this krithi for the first time now of SKR and just going to doze off now.

Just recollecting one more great saranga krithi ehi trigadeesha of T it is quite a good number.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Don't hear the rAgA much. Other songs which come to mind are: Ramalinga aDigaL's aruL jOthi deivam ennai ANDukoNDa deivam, ambalathE ADuginRa Ananda deivam (a Nataraja song. We have a current thread on that topic). I pariya sobagAva dEvaroLu nA kANE, gOpi janapriya gOpAlanalladE is another. enta bhAgyamuna, yet another. A film song from en vIDu--konjum mozhi maindargaLE...
As for nIvADanE gAna, it was very popular in the fifties, and the satyambu nityambu bit caught our attention because of someone called Ambu in the friends' circle, and it added interest to the song if she were present in the concert!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Arul jothi deivam is sung in many ragams. I hve heard it in Panthuvarali , Hamsadhwani etc. IIRC, MS has sung in Panthuvarali.

Ee pariya sobagava is sung very frequently in Saranga by TVS.

I have heard Ehi Trijagadeesa by Balamurali.