A song suitable to play on Sitar for a wedding

Classical Music of North India
mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Can someone post the lyrics (including the rAg) for a song that is romantic to be played on sitAr during a wedding ceremony--one that can be played by the groom addressing his bride?

arasi

Post by arasi »

mahakavi,
Is it going to be sung too? If the tune is only played on the sitar--unless the words are also read--I would think the rAgA is more important here. At my daughter's wedding, there was sitar and tabla playing, and one of the rAgs that I requested was yamunA kalyAni. Romantic and emotive, even for those who have no idea about indian music...

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

arasi:
I want it to serve the dual-purpose. The groom will know the meaning of the lyrics; he will explain it to the guests thereby leading them to follow him while he plays the rAg on the sitAr.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Here are a few songs that has helped nourish two generations of marriages in my family !!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tgi9yb

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kzbt5s

And In case the Mother In law feels like taking up the Sitar and adding spice , here is one for her too.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9ggkgj

I request Ravi and Nandagopal to tie up the loose ends with their commentaries in English..
(My wife who just peered over my shoulder to see what I was posting , is going back to the kitchen humming Hatthu Varushada Hinde.......Neevallave .But the commentary on that can wait for the celebrations to be over)
Over to you Ravi and Nandagopal

:D
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Jun 2007, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Thanks, coolkarni!
Could someone transcribe the lyrics from the two songs in the first link (with meanings) please?
The kannaDA song by M S Sheela was very delectable. Could someone post the lyrics with the meaning too? I get pretty much most of the advice by the mother to her daughter but it would be good to know the exact verses with exact meaning.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

By the way, coolkarni, what is the episode behind the "hattu varushade hinde ..nIvallavE" humming. Anything juicy, which can be shared here?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

I dont want to keep you waiting.we will get to the lyrics of that song a bit later.
It is a soothing groan of a wife of ten years who keeps wondering how her husband behaved as a newly wed -10 years ago -
Lines like
Were you not the person who scowled at the bangle seller when I had moaned the lightest , when he hurt me the slightest while setting the bangles ..
and many more such instances where the wife wonders how much her husband has changed in just ten years.
:P
Now you get the sarcasm in the my wife's humming I suppose.
(I dont have the tape here with me in Chennai , But I will try and get the full lyrics in a day or two.-Wonder if DRS or Ramakriya can help ?)
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Jun 2007, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

coolkarni:
Soothing groan? Perhaps you don't get the pungency in that. I have experienced and am experiencing even now such "soothing" groans. "You are not the same person I married..". That is perhaps the mildest rebuke. Why can't we all men be the same doting husbands that our wives knew when we married them?

PS: "I married you for love and not money. Now go and secure a bank loan so that we can buy that million dollar house--will you? sob, sob.."--- Sounds familiar?
Last edited by mahakavi on 20 Jun 2007, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Some of my all time favourite Cartoon quips
Husband ,returning from office,giving wife, a bouquet of flowers:
"Now don't go all to pieces. Somebody left them on a bus"
Wife reading Husband’s Fortune card from weighing machine:
“You are a leader with a magnetic personality and strong character.You are intelligent , witty ,and attractive to the opposite….â€
Last edited by coolkarni on 20 Jun 2007, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

sbala

Post by sbala »

kji,
One the topic of groans, I can hear a few from bachelors like me...Seems like the first few years might not be that bad.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

mahakavi: here is the first song

dil ko hai tumse pyaar kyon
ye naa bataa sakoonga main
dil ko hai tumse pyaar kyon..

pehle milan ki chhaaon mein
tumse tumhaare gaon mein
aankhen hui thi chaar kyon
dil ko hai…

tumko nazar mein rakh liya
dil mein jigar mein rakh liya
khud main hua shikaar kyon
dil ko hai…

roop ki kuchh kami nahin
duniyaa mein ik tumhi nahin
par main tumhaari yaad mein
rehtaa hoon beqraar kyon
dil ko hai…

am working on the second.... over to ravi for the translation....
coolkarni ji bahut bahut shukriyaa..

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

sbala:
Don't count on it! I am not scaring you but just injecting a bit of reality into fantasy. Join the married (but struggling) club. We could use some extra ears to pout our problems. Better late than never. Otherwise you wouldn't experience the miseries of married life. Bittersweet, yea!

coolkarni:
The husband in the first joke definitely deserves to be sent away to andamAn islands. What a cheapO? If I found it in the bus I will get a sprinkle of water on it and pass it as though I got it in Walmart!

The second cartoon indicates the marriage is a few years old!
Last edited by mahakavi on 20 Jun 2007, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

First song:
dil ko hai tumsE pyAr kyUn,
yeh nA batA sakUngA mein|
pehlE milan ki chAnv mein
tumsE tuhAre gAun mein
AnkhEn huI thI cAr kyUn,
yeh nA batA sakUngA mein|
tumko nazar mein rakh liyA
dil mein, jigar mein rakh liyA
khud mein huA shikAr kyUn,
yeh nA batA sakUnga mein|
rUp kI kuch kamI nahIn
duniyA mein ek tumhI nahIn
par mein tumhAri yAd mein rahtA hUn bekarAr kyUn,
yeh nA batA sakUngA mein||

Why (kyUn) has my heart (dil) fallen in love with you (tumsE pyAr), this (yeh) I (mein) will not (nA) be able (sakUngA) to tell you (batA).

At the first (pehlE) blush of our meeting (milan ki chAvn mein), why (kyUn) did our eyes meet (AnkhEn huI thI cAr), this I will not be able to tell you.

I have kept you (tumkO rakh liyA) in my sight (nazar mein), in my heart (dil mein) and in my spirit (jigar mein) - [these are colloquialisms to indicate how a precious one is always in the beloved's heart, thoughts and sight]. But why (kyUn) did I become (khud mein huA) the hunted (shikAr), I will not be able to tell you.

There is no dearth of (kamI nahIn) of beauty (rUp kI), and you are not (tumhI nahIn) the only imcomparable one (Ek) in this world (duniyA mein), despite that (par) why (kyUn) am I (mein) desparate/being tortured (bEkarAr) by your memories (tumAri yAd mein), I will not be able to explain that.

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

The first and second songs are both sung by Jagmohan Bakshi. dulhaa mubaarak ho! apni dulhaniya jald se jald saath le jao…

Ravi, aap shabdaarth / bhaavaarth dene se pehle ek baar jaanch karenge to bahut meherbaani hogi meri koyee galti ho tu kripyaa sudhaar deejiyega

aankhon mein chhupa man mera
hai man mein chhupa kaun?
sapnon mein mere ho(n)th pe
aakarke ha(n)saa kaun?

kisse ye lagan lag gayi hai
dil ki roobaroo
aankhon ke raaste kahin
nikley na aarzoo
hum tumse mitey aur ab
hai humse milaa kaun?

main bol uthaa shaan se jab
kaun pukaaraa?
dharti bhi hamaari hai
aur aakaash hamaara
dono lute(n)y hain par
ab pehle hai lutaa kaun?

jab door rehkey hoga yahi
tere binaa ye dar
paas mein hotey to kya hoga
tu hi hogi
matvaale bhala hoon par
manzil mein basaa kaun?
aankhon mein chhupa man mera

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Thank you, knandago2001 and rshankar for the lyrics and the meanings.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

.....Most ghazals can be viewed in a spiritual context, with the Beloved being a metaphor for God, or the poet's spiritual master. It is the intense Divine Love of sufism that serves as a model for all the forms of love found in ghazal poetry. An example of this can be found in following ghazal by Amir Khusru:

Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Chhap tilak sab cheeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Prem bhatee ka madhva pilaikay
Matvali kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Gori gori bayyan, hari hari churiyan
Bayyan pakar dhar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Bal bal jaaon mein toray rang rajwa
Apni see kar leeni ray mosay naina milaikay
Khusrau Nijaam kay bal bal jayyiye
Mohay Suhaagan keeni ray mosay naina milaikay

You've taken away my looks, my identity, by just a glance. By making me drink the wine of love-potion, You've intoxicated me by just a glance; My fair, delicate wrists with green bangles in them, Have been held tightly by you with just a glance. I give my life to you, Oh my cloth-dyer, You've dyed me in yourself, by just a glance. I give my whole life to you Oh, Nijam, You've made me your bride, by just a glance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghazal

Love Songs of Film variety is of recent origin. Much like Vallalaar's song 'unakkun enakkun isainda poruttam' and Bharati's 'mangiyador nilavinilE' and 'nalladOr vInai seydE' have been appropriated by filmists as mortal love songs, ghazals have, to suit the tastes of consumerist society, degraded to mere mortal love and subsequent cynicism towards the poets themselves about their mysticism.