Raag Bageshri and tivra nishaad

Classical Music of North India
Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Hello friends,

Just need to clarify that "does Tivra Nishaad come in Baageshri since I seem to have heard it in may places". Normally only Komal Nishaad is used. Calrify and correct me please.

Thank you.

Nandy.

vijay

Post by vijay »

Hi Nandy! Presuming Tivra Nishad is N3 - Grasang a few phrases to myself and it didn't really seem to fit in...maybe you could post a clip that you think brings out the note. The notation at least in the cartnatic version seems to include only N2...

However here is a link that indicates that tivra nishad might indeed be used at times...

http://www.carnatic-music.com/ragas/bageshri.txt

arasi

Post by arasi »

Even if it is there, I suppose one can only touch on it and go--not linger on it as you would with kOmal. Does it make sense?

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thanks Vijay and Arasi.

The song Guru bina Gulama, by Purandaradasa was taught to me in Baageshri very long time back. As also a Kabirdas bhajan- Beeth gaye din bajan binare. Both of these songs seem to have a lot of Tivra nishad close to higher sa i.e in the aarohana pattern only. Just wanted to clarify that indeed in Baageshri, tivra nishad does come in after all.

Incase any of you do come across a Carnatic song that has a trace of tivra nishad, please do post it. I'll be happy that I am corrected.

Thanks.

Nandy.