Lyrics-cinna cinna padam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
venkmal

Post by venkmal »

Chinna Chinna padam vaithu
Kannaa nee vaa vaa vaa
MaNi Vannaa nee vaa vaa vaa

Vanna Vanna udai uduthu
Kannaa nee vaa vaa vaa
MaNi Vannaa nee vaa vaa vaa (Chinna...)

venkmal

meena

Post by meena »

this is not a bhajan

This piece is quite popular in dance, and its often presented as a padam.

here is the text:
cinna cinna padam. rAgA: kApi. Adi tALA.Composer: Smt.Ambujam Krishna

P: cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA vA vA maNivaNNA nI vA vA vA
A: vaNNa vaNNa uDai uDutti kaNNA nI vA vA vA
C: mallikai mullai malarAlE arccanai sheivOm vA vA vA
mAdhavanE mAdhavanE kEshavanE kEshavanE kaNNA nI vA vA vA
2: draupadi mAnam kAttavanE aDiyArkkaruLiDa vA vA vA
mAyavanE mAyavanE kEshavanE kEshavanE kaNNA nI vA vA vA
3: kaNNil teriyum kATSi ellAm kamalakkaNNA un uruvam
kAlamellAm kAlamellAm unnaruLai vENDuginrOm kaNNA nI vA vA vA

chitudaya

Post by chitudaya »

Can anyone tell me where to find the audio of the song cinna cinna padam vaithu kanna nee vaa vaa?

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Can anyone please provide me with the meaning of this padam, and i also want the audio

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

P: cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA vA vA maNivaNNA nI vA vA vA

Oh darkhued (maNi vaNNA) krishNA (kaNNA)! you (nI) please come (vA vA) to me/us taking (vaittu) tiny/baby (cinna cinna) steps (padam)

A: vaNNa vaNNa uDai uDutti kaNNA nI vA vA vA

Please come (vA vA) to me/us wearing (uDutti) colorful (vaNNa vaNNa) outfits (uDai).

C: mallikai mullai malarAlE arccanai sheivOm vA vA vA
mAdhavanE mAdhavanE kEshavanE kEshavanE kaNNA nI vA vA vA

Oh kaNNa, please come (vA vA). We will worship (arcanai SeivOm) you, Oh kESavA, Oh mAdhavA, with jasmine (mallikA/malligai), and mullai flowers (malarAlE).

2: draupadi mAnam kAttavanE aDiyArkkaruLiDa vA vA vA
mAyavanE mAyavanE kEshavanE kEshavanE kaNNA nI vA vA vA

One who protected (kAttavanE) the honor (mAnam) of draupadI, the pANDava queen, Oh kESavA you please come. (krishNA is also refered to as the supreme illusionist - mAyavan. mAyavan could also refer to the fact that his sister/pArvatI is also yOga mAyA)

3: kaNNil teriyum kATSi ellAm kamalakkaNNA un uruvam
kAlamellAm kAlamellAm unnaruLai vENDuginrOm kaNNA nI vA vA vA

Every (ellAm) sight (kATSi) I/we behold (teriyum) in my/our eyes (kaNNil) is your (un) form (uruvam) of lotus eyed one (kamalakaNNA). I/We seek (vENDugirOm) your (un) grace/blessings (aruL) for the rest of our lives/time (kAlamellAm). you please come to me/us.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The audio is available commercially on Gitaa cassette # GCT 570, titled Sri Krishna Pravaham and sung by Padma Rajagopal.

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Thanks for the meaning of this kriti also...... its just great to understand each and every word in the songs...
is this kriti there on any website/

rgds
krishnaa

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Dear Lakshman uncle,
thanks for the info on the audio.

Krishnaa

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

krishnaa wrote:Thanks for the meaning of this kriti also......
You are welcome!

parimal

Re: Lyrics-cinna cinna padam

Post by parimal »

This is regarding chinna chinna padam .....

the lyrics which you have mentioned , they don't feature in the song which I have heard or seen on youtube .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fqRjPgShhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LM7Ffayy9Y

So then is there any other version of this song

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

This is indeed a surprise. The lyrics posted by Meena (post#2) is what I have in my database. It is sung in a different raga here:
http://www.fightauthority.com/watch.php ... tube_gdata&
Unfortunately I don't have a reference to confirm which version is really Ambujam Krishna's.

smala

Post by smala »

parimal wrote:This is regarding chinna chinna padam .....

the lyrics which you have mentioned , they don't feature in the song which I have heard or seen on youtube .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fqRjPgShhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LM7Ffayy9Y

So then is there any other version of this song
Thank you for links on two delightful takes - choreography - on the same song on the endearing infant Krishna with his insatiable love for butter and the child who plays the Kaliya Nartanam. While both dances were beautiful to watch, the second was remarkably graceful.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the lyrics for the song from the two dance video clips. Corrections welcome:

cinna cinna padam. rAgA: kApi. Adi tALA.

P: cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA shen silambu kazhal konja ennai ALa vA
C1: nandan mania tanilE annai tayir kaDaya kannal mozhi pEsi kaNgaL kenji konja
kanivAi idazh shuzhittu karamITTi kAl udaittu veNNai tandAl viDuvEn enru haTam piDittu naTam purinda
2: viNDiyar kaN mayanga annasi kaN kalanga eNDisaiyum pugazh Onga silambu mEni aNI asiya
maNI taritta phaNi sirattil padam vaittadan naTam oDunga takiTa tAm taka takiTa tAm tiku takiTa tAm enru ADiyE

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is what I hear

P: cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA Sen Silambu kazhal konja ennai ALa vA
C1: nandan manai tanilE annai tayir kaDaya kannal mozhi pEsi kaNgaL kenji konja
kanivAi idazh shuzhittu karam nITTi kAl udaittu veNNai tandAl viDuvEn enru aDam piDittu naT(D)am purinda
2: viN viyakka maN mayanga annai tan kaN kalanga endisaiyum pugazh Onga iLangu mEni aNI aSaiya
maNI dharitta phaNi Sirattil padam vaitt(u)adan agam oDunga takiTa tOm taka takiTa tOm taka dhiku takiTa tOm enru ADina

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thanks for the corrections rshankar.

parimal

Post by parimal »

Laxman and Shankar

Thanks a ton for the lyrics--

A few questions though....the second version is the part of the first version

or both are different compositions of ambuja krishna ?

parimal

Post by parimal »

also a request --

can I get the meaning of the second version too ....

as usual we pester both Laxman and Shankar .....

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Parimal,

I have no clue if both are Smt. Ambujam Krishna's compositions, or if one of them isn't. Arasi may have some opinion on this.

In any case, I can certainly help with the padArtha! :)

pallavi
cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA Sen Silambu kazhal konja ennai ALa vA (cinna cinna padam...)

Oh precious krishNA (kaNNA) [1]! Please come (nI vA) to me with/taking (vaittu) tiny (cinna cinna) steps (padam) [2] as your beautiful (Sen) [3] anklets (Silambu) [4] and bells (kazhal) caress (konja) your ankles, and admit me (ennai) to your graces (ALa vA).

caraNam 1
nandan manai tanilE annai tayir kaDaya kannal mozhi pEsi kaNgaL kenji konja
kanivAi idazh shuzhittu karam nITTi kAl udaittu veNNai tandAl viDuvEn enru aDam piDittu naT(D)am purinda (cinna cinna padam...)

(Oh precious kirshNa) who, in (tanilE) the house (manai) of nanda (nandan), as your mother (annai) churned (kaDaiya) yougurt/curds (tayir), spoke(pESi) sugar-sweet (kannal) words (mozhi), with eyes (kaNgaL) that pleaded (kenji) and caressed (konji) at the same time, lovingly (kanivAi) curled (Suzittu) up his lips (idazh) [5], extended (nITTi) his hands (karam), kicked (udaittu) his feet (kAl), and pitched a fit (aDam piDittu) and danced around (naDam purinda), declaring that (enru) he would stop/let go (viDuvEn) only if he were given (tandAl) some butter (veNNai), (please come to me and admit me to your grace)!

caraNam 2
viN viyakka maN mayanga annai tan kaN kalanga endisaiyum pugazh Onga iLangu mEni aNI aSaiya
maNI dharitta phaNi Sirattil padam vaitt(u)adan agam oDunga takiTa tOm taka takiTa tOm taka dhiku takiTa tOm enru ADina (cinna cinna padam...)

(Oh precious kirshNa) who danced (ADina) to the solkaTTu (enru) 'takiTa tOm taka takiTa tOm taka dhiku takiTa tOm' by placing (vaittu) your feet (padam) on the head/hood (Sirattil) of the snake (phaNi) kaLIya that bore (dharitta) a precious gemstone (maNi) in its hood [6] in the process subduing/destroying (oDunga) the snake's (adan) ego (agam), even as the Gods/skies (viN) were lost in admiration/wonder (viyakka), the mortals/earth (maN) were captivated (mayanga), yaSOdA's (annai tan- mother) eyes (kaN) clouded over (kalanga) with tears, and your fame (pugazh) spread/rose (Onga) in every (en) direction (diSaiyum) at the sight of your resplendently luminous (iLangu) body/complexion (mEni) moving (aSaiya) as you danced, (please come to me and admit me to your grace)!

FOOTNOTES
[1] kaNNA/kaNNE - a term of endearment that captures the sentiment that the adressee is as 'precious to one as one's eye'
[2] cinna cinna padam vaittu can also be interpretted as by 'placing (vaittu) your tiny (cinna cinna) feet (padam)'
[3] Sen can also mean the color red
[4] Silambu and kazhal are two different types of ankle adornments - a Silambu is usually a hollow circlet worn around the ankle - it is filled with stones (could be gemstones) to make a sound - kaNNagi's Silambu was filled with rubies/mANikkam; a kazhal I think is more like a pAyal/golusu - a flexible silver strap that fits around the ankle and has clusters of bells hanging from it
[5] kanivAi idazh Suzhittu can also be interpretted as 'he curled (Suzhittu) up the lips (idazh) of his tender/sweet (kani) mouth (vAi)
[6] This is a popular myth - the more poisonous/deadly the snake is, the more precious the gem it guards in its head/hood

parimalphadke

Post by parimalphadke »

shankar

Hats off to you for this tranlsation...... :clap:
As always your padartha clears so many doubts .... :)

I will request arasi to guide me whether both the compositions are from the same author....

pkrasika

Post by pkrasika »

Can you please tell me the composer of this song?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Please look at post # 2.

pkrasika

Post by pkrasika »

The lyrics in post #2 are different from this one.

Am asking for the composer of these lyrics:

P: cinna cinna padam vaittu kaNNA nI vA Sen Silambu kazhal konja ennai ALa vA
C1: nandan manai tanilE annai tayir kaDaya kannal mozhi pEsi kaNgaL kenji konja
kanivAi idazh shuzhittu karam nITTi kAl udaittu veNNai tandAl viDuvEn enru aDam piDittu naT(D)am purinda
2: viN viyakka maN mayanga annai tan kaN kalanga endisaiyum pugazh Onga iLangu mEni aNI aSaiya
maNI dharitta phaNi Sirattil padam vaitt(u)adan agam oDunga takiTa tOm taka takiTa tOm taka dhiku takiTa tOm enru ADina

In this youtube link it says Oothukadu VenkataSubbiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkRB2ThTCSc

Kindly confirm.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

pkrasika wrote: 01 May 2018, 21:34In this youtube link it says Oothukadu VenkataSubbiar
The link also says the composer as 'Traditional'...It doesn't feature in the list of Sri OVK's compositions.

pkrasika

Post by pkrasika »

It says Lyrics - OVK

So is this also Ambujam Krishna then?