thillana hindolam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

Can i please get the meaning of the following caranam of a thillana in hindolam composed by dandhayuthapani Pillai.

"tAla mELa jati yODu ADum ennai ALa vArum jagadIshA unadu
tAL paNindu kalaiyoDu vAzha varam tArum tillai parameshA dinamum"

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This caraNam is a true dancers' prayer - a prayer to the Lord of the dance asking to be blessed to continue to dance well, and offer that dance as worship....

"As I dance (ADum) to the time being kept by the cymbals (tALam/tALa), the beat of the drum (mELam/mELa) and the recitation of the jatI (ODu = with - the time being kept), please come (vArum) to rule (ALa) me (ennai), Oh jagadISA! Grant (tArum) me the boon (varam) to forever/daily (dinamum) offer prayers (paNindu literally means bowing one's head) at your (unadu) feet (tAL), and live a life (vAzha) replete with (ODu) all the various art forms (kalai), Oh paramESwar, the resident Lord of tillai (cidambaram)!"

krishnaa

Post by krishnaa »

thanks so much Ravi!!!!!

srinandini

Post by srinandini »

beautiful lyrics. can we have a full version of the tillana with audio. if not which cassette to buy for this composition...please.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sudha Raghunathan has rendered this here:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/c ... /artist.6/

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Srinandini,
It is from the CD 'Dances of Siva' an Amuthan Inc. release.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
Did you see several 'composers mix up' in the listing there?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is nothing new arasi. The mixup has been there for a long time. I offered, severaltimes, to send the correct information to them but they never responded. But things have improved somewhat.

Kpri

Re: thillana hindolam

Post by Kpri »

Can anyone please share the notation of this wonderful thillana with me. K_pri@yahoo.com

Lakshman

Re: thillana hindolam

Post by Lakshman »

Please check your mailbox.