Arabhi

Rāga related discussions
Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Dear Friends,
I am overwhelmed with your love and appreciation for my humble singing efforts.
I crave your indulgence once more, with a composition of my own this time, "Rameswaram Punya Kshetram", in Arabhi, set to Adi Talam.
This composition came to me as an inspiration when I visited Rameswaram a few years back, when I got up in the middle of the night, the day after I visited the Great Temple, and some force urged me to compose this song.
I do not claim this to be a lyrical krithi, and if there are any composition or singing errors, please point out the same and I shall, in all humility, accept your criticism in the right spirit.

http://rapidshare.de/files/18352195/T.M ... i.mp3.html

Love you all.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

sabAsh, sabash, Sivaraman. I am not qualified to comment on the composition but it sounded very nice. Nice singing of Arabhi as well.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That was very nice! The aarabhi is clean and good. You have simply strungup words without a theme. That is fine since spontaneous compositions just bubble up from the heart. You may like to post the lyrics for the benefit of those who would like to follow the words.Tell us what prompted you to compose this song and how you made the choice for Arabhi. Do share your experience with us!

Regards

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

VK/CMLover,
Thank you so much for the appreciation.
Arabhi, a Janya of the 29th Mela, Dheera Shankarabaranam, is an asupicious raga, sung in early morning.Since my Rameswaram temple visit was in early morning and I felt the divine power of the place radiating across the great multitude of devotees thronging the temple, I had the inspiration to choose this raga for the composition.I do not know whether some other morning ragas would also have equally been appropriate, but it was my inner urge to choose arabhi.
As to the theme of the composition, I felt that Rameswaram, mythologically speaking, happens to represent the confluence two great religious schools of Saivam and Vaishnavam at one and same place.It was the place where Lord Rama worshipped Lord Siva to seek his blessings before the construction of the sethu bridge.Rameswaram also, to me, appears to be the confluence of two great divinities and their powers of compassion, valour, protection of the meek and destruction of evil as symbolised by Rama and Siva.The lyrics, as CMLover points out, are strung together to signify these two great schools of religious thought,the two great divine graces of Siva and Rama and in praise of their respective virtues and powers.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

Lyrics:

Rameswaram Punya Kshetram/Arabhi/Adi

Pallavi:

Rameswaram punya kshetram
Somasekharam krupakataksham
(Rameswaram)

Anupallavi:

Sethu bandhanam, Sri Ramam bhaje Shankaram
Jagadheesam lokashemam
(Rameswaram)

Charanam:

Mahadevam papavinasam
Raghuvaram karunyam
Bhakthajana sidhi mukthi pradham
(Rameswaram)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sivaraman

Do you know any sanskrit? I am just curious! I will explain my reasons after hearing your response!

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

I am not very proficient in Sanskrit, except for studing it as an optional language at school.My acquaintance with sanskrit later is through my love for CM, particularly the Dikshitar compositions.
If there are any errors, grammatical or otherwise, please feel free to comment and correct the same and I shall be obliged for the same.I know for a fact through perusing your postings in this forum that you are a sanskrit scholar with a deep knowlege and proficiency in the language.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sivaraman

No criticism at all! The lyric is fine! Since it is spontaneous and from the inner spirit I was looking at the flow of ideas. There is only one verb 'bhaje' (I honour/worship) and all the rest are appropriately in the dvitIya vibhakti! The blending of 'shaivam' and vaiNavam' is beautifully done with 'sEtu bandhanaM' having indeed an allegoric meaning. I was venerating the 'inner spirit' that prompted you to burst out in verse, very much the one which inspired the Trinity to spontaneously create our CM! 'Arabh' means in sanskrit to act energetically and hence the raga you chose (spontaneously) is equally appropriate! regards.

Sivaraman

Post by Sivaraman »

CML,
Thank you.
However, I do not think I am deserving such praise from an ardent CM devotee like you. Mine was just a humble effort to give voice to my feelings of awe and bhakthi on my visit to the mighty Rameswaram temple.If it has served a purpose of highlighting the uniqueness of the holy place ( blending of Saivam and Vaishnavam; the compassion of SRI RAMA blended with the Destruction of all evil by Lord Shiva, and the history of Sethu Bandhanam), I shall feel deeply honoured in presenting my humble offering.

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Sivaraman

Nice lyrics. I'm sure you are inspired by Dikshithar. Just to share, Dikshithar has the unique style of showing raga mudra for arabhi. He says 'SamsAraBheedhi Bhanjanayai'. In two songs, Akhilandeshwaryai and Sree saraswathy.

kaumaaram

Post by kaumaaram »

Sivaraman,

My pranams to you. Great effort.

Kaumaaram

krishna212001

Post by krishna212001 »

Hi

Has SSI rendered O Raajivaksha in Arabhi ?

If so could anybody please help me in listening to that composition.

I have heard GNB rendering this composition.

But not SSI.

Regards
Krishna

venkmal

Post by venkmal »

please can you post the song 'raameshwaram" again

venkmal

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

Rasikas: Who is the composer of "vArijadaLalOchani" in this rAga? The audio is available (item #10) at: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~rasika/T ... dpur-1973/

mohan

Post by mohan »

kmrasika wrote:Rasikas: Who is the composer of "vArijadaLalOchani" in this rAga? The audio is available (item #10) at: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~rasika/T ... dpur-1973/
I think the composer is TG Krishna Iyer with the lyrics tuned by Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar. The mudra 'Lalitadasa' usually comes in the songs.
Last edited by mohan on 23 Nov 2007, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

RasikasModerator2

Re: Arabhi

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

We need to merge this thread with the other one, lest someone think that the raga is actually named "Haunting Arabhi" :lol: :lol:

This is why we want 1 thread per raga.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

CAC Newsletter on Arabhi and dEvagAndhAri. Very comprehensive study.

http://carnatica.in/newsletter/arabhinewsletter.htm

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

An old form of composition that doesn't exist now : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dji0O9yoXq8 - by Muthuswami Dikshitar.

From the video description : "...This is an unpublished composition of Sri Muthuswamy Deekshithar seen in the mansucript said to be written by Tanjore Quartette and carefully preserved by their eighth generation descendant Sri KPS Sivakumar. We sincerely thank him for the same.

This is a humble attempt to reconstruct from those manuscripts.

This is not a krti; rather a musical form called as 'Saranu daru". Saranu saru is a component of "Nirupanam", a musical drama. This has 18 components and Saranu comes second in that. Nirupanam was common during 1800-1900 CE and King Serfoji II is said to have composed around 15 nirupanam-s.

This manuscript also has ' jaya jaya', another 'saranu' and a mangalam - the different components of a nirupanam. Based on the available evidences from these manuscript, it can be presumed Deekshithar has composed more than two nirupanam-s. It might not be out of place to say only Tanjore Quartette must have been aware of this nirupanam.

We allow the viewers to identify the raga mudra interwoven into the sahityam.

This has a pallavi and two two kandika-s of anupallavi. But the notation is available only for the pallavi and the second kandika. Hence, that alone is presented.

Sahityam
Pallavi
Śaraṇu Śaraṇu mahēṣa śaṅkari śaraṇu bhaktavaṣaṅkari
Śaraṇu viṣṇusahōdari Śaraṇu śrī ṣatodari (Śaraṇu)
Anupallavi
Śaraṇu viṣvavikalpahāriṇi śaraṇu mukta hāriṇi
Śaraṇu pāṣavidāriṇi śaraṇu bhuvanōdhāriṇi (Śaraṇu)

Śaraṇumārabhīru priyakari śaraṇu guruguha samudbhavakari (Śaraṇu)..."