TM Krishna at the Music Academy, Dec 27, 2007

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
harimau

Post by harimau »

T M Krishna - Vocal
Mysore Manjunath - Violin
Karaikkudi Mani - Mriangam
V Suresh - Ghatam

Was there anybody else? There were quite a few on stage!

Anyway, here it goes:

Sami Daya Judara - Kedaragowlai - Adi
Sri Nathadhi Guruguho - Mayamalavagowlai - Adi
Ela Nee Daya Radu - Atana - Adi
Thillai Chidambaram - Purvikalyani - Misra Chapu
Amba Paradevate - Rudrapriya - Khanda Chapu
Mari Mari Ninne - Kambodhi - Adi
Viruttham in Sahana, Kharaharapriya and Hameerkalyani
followed by Thoomani Madathu (Thiruppavai) - Hameerkalyani - Adi

The tani went on for 25 minutes. The main (Kambodhi) consumed a total of 85 minutes. There was no RTP as planned. Hungry and tired, I left after the Thiruppavai. I am sure there was nothing much, perhaps just the Mangalam.

Mercifully, intelligence in the sense it is applied to musicians was absent. "Thoomani Madathu" is not the 11th Thiruppavai; "Katruk Karavai Ganangal Pala Karandhu" is. And that "Thillai Chidambaram" kriti came a couple of days after Arudra nakshatram. Really, T M Krishna will have to work hard on the "intelligence" side to be ranked alongside you-know-who.

I am going to sleep now. Let rbharath whom I saw on the stage write his review.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Left at the same time as Harimau.

Krishna sang a good alapana of purvi kalyani, a very good alapana of kamboji - grand, melodramatic and lot of variations, brikas, etc.. Manjunath was not up to par on either alapanas (not judging by the applause though) but brought some bhava into his neraval in kamboji. Mari mari kriti rendition by Krishna was not very fulfilling.

Krishna's shruti alignment was very good. Superb long kaarvai at mel Sa in Kamboji. Excellent voice range - went down to D2 below mandhara S in purvi kalyani and up to mel Pa in kamboji.

Sang the customary multi-avardhana nereval - this time mel kalam in kamboji (karunatho...).

Excellent tani but longish as Harimau pointed out. Tisram figured a lot.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

there was krishnam kalaya, a tarangam in mukhari before the mangalam...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

i liked the concert, firstly for the fact that, such a heavy kriti was taken up and presented.

the alapanais of purvikalyani and kambhoji were very good. i loved them. the svarams in amba paradevate were nice, and so were those in mmg.

i actuallly am short of words to express this concert totally verbally...

it was an amazing concert. one to remember for a long time.

karthit

Post by karthit »

It was such an amazing concert. I had been waiting for this concert ever since the season started. A nice poorvikalyani, top notch kambodi and a typical Mani's Thani, ensured a great evening for all of us.

Tickets were sold out within one hour in the morning, there was such a huge crowd, too many cars, too many people, it all just felt like a festival. Even today's Kutcheribuzz had a write-up warning all rasikas to be present at MA well ahead of time to beat the crowd.
It's not very often u see TMK getting together with Guru KM and in MA which clearly has the best acoustics in Chennai today with its new Bose system.

TMK sang such an elaborate Kambodi with several brilliant phrases. But as Harimau pointed out, the main piece went too long and the culprit clearly was Mysore Manjunath as his version of Kambodhi stretched too long, possibly longer than that of TMK. Ofcourse, he played extremely well but he should have realised that it was a 2.5 hr concert at the MA where it stays at only 2.5 and is absolutely not stretchable!!
As a result of this, TMK had to slightly cut down on the Kambodi swarams as time was running out.

And OMG, what a thani it was! Luckily atleast today we didnt see a lot of people getting up during the thani! One of the longest applause I've seen, almost 4-5 min continuously!

Overall, a super concert that will stay in my memory for quite sometime like the TMK MA concert of 2004!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

karthit,

tmk sang kambhoji for 16 min. manjunath played for 10 min. thats normal... the kriti lasted about 15 min (with all the sangatis rendered just once). neraval and svarams for the next 20 min. tani for 25 min...

thus 85 min.

this kriti demands such a grand alapanai. however, heavier neraval and svarams would have been better.

vijay

Post by vijay »

There was a piece after Thiruppavai - don't remember now - a Javali I think...and then Mangalam. Agree with Bharath - just superb! Details later

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Krishna's shruti alignment was very good. Superb long kaarvai at mel Sa in Kamboji. Excellent voice range - went down to D2 below mandhara S in purvi kalyani and up to mel Pa in kamboji.

Sang the customary multi-avardhana nereval - this time mel kalam in kamboji (karunatho...).
TMK's voice range now is immense, and his shruthi alignment is consistently solid. He is able to traverse three octaves without a problem. This is the reason I would go to his concerts...really a dimension that is his strength and forte...

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

rbharath wrote:karthit,

tmk sang kambhoji for 16 min. manjunath played for 10 min. thats normal... the kriti lasted about 15 min (with all the sangatis rendered just once). .
a clarification:
i learnt this kriti from sri krishna sir to sing along with him for this concert.
and all the sangathis (except two in the entire kriti) were repeated twice.
there are nearly 17 sangathis in the pallavi alone - a magnum opus indeed!!

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

Did anyone notice if this was recorded for AIR/ Charsur?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

mri_fan: Rajalakshmi audio won the bid for the recording rights at MA during the season (starting 2006). I really hope they release this one. Sounds like a grand concert!
Last edited by mahavishnu on 28 Dec 2007, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

Interesting to note that...how does that mix with the Izha VIzha's recordings, some of which are from MA?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Not sure how that works. I think AIR (DD or private TV/radio station as the case may be) has to buy the rights to the concert when they broadcast it. At other sabhas AIR pays a flat fee, from what I've heard from a family friend who is secretary at a well-known Chennai sabha.

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

thanks for the info!

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Mari mari kriti rendition by Krishna was not very fulfilling
Though maybe you felt this, for me, the kriti rendition with the cascade of sangatis,
flawlessly sung, was easily the highlight of the concert, over and above any of the alapanas
or swarams. This kriti is such a masterpiece, and IMHO it was worth attending the
kutcheri for this kriti rendition (excluding improvisation) alone. But maybe it's just a
difference in POV :).

I agree MM wasn't up to the mark in some of his replies: actually, more than not being
up to the mark technically (there can be no doubt as to his technical prowess and
vidwat, and I am not competent to even talk about it) it was his tendency to mix in a
heavy dose of plain-notes and hindustani-like phrases (especially in Poorvi Kalyani)
that didn't find favour with me. Whereas Krishna's essay of Purvi Kalyani was definitely
more carnatic (although a tad unstructured, as seems to be his format now). I thought I
noticed one mini excursion to Hindustani Shree once, though, when TMK paused for an
extended karvai on G. It sounded eerie and gave a nice effect. Also MM recovered later
and played quite beautifully in kambhoji, especially neraval and swarams, I think.

I also loved the renditions of Sri Nathadi Guruguho and Amba Paradevathe, especially
the latter with its winding words and constructions is really quite difficult to execute flawlessly
while preserving aesthetics, and TMK's effort was more than creditable here. I agree with
bharath that mayamalava gowla swaras were absolutely incredible, both by TMK and MM.
Last edited by arvindt on 28 Dec 2007, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

vvmri

Post by vvmri »

BTW whose composition is MariMari Ninne just to clarify

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Mari Mari Ninne is a composition of Thyagaraja.

vigneshbal

Post by vigneshbal »

mahavishnu wrote:mri_fan: Rajalakshmi audio won the bid for the recording rights at MA during the season (starting 2006). I really hope they release this one. Sounds like a grand concert!
Yeah.. this year also Rajalakshmi audio has won the bid to record all the concerts in academy.. I think they are also going to release video DVD.. one of my friends saw something like a video cam in the mic room.. Not sure though when it is going to be released... Mostly in April @ cleaveland.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

I slightly differ from harimau. I haven't seen many artists singing thiruppavi this season. I see no harm, though it may be a tradition to present krithi of the day during Margazhi. Also, why should be a "chidambaram" kriti be sung only on Arudra day? Then all GKB kritis will be sung only one a year!!

Mari mari ninne is a rare krithi, and with all sangathis, it should have been a treat. I couldn't make it to the concert fearing that ticket's wont be available, glad to read the review.

-hari

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

gravikiran wrote:
rbharath wrote:karthit,

tmk sang kambhoji for 16 min. manjunath played for 10 min. thats normal... the kriti lasted about 15 min (with all the sangatis rendered just once). .
a clarification:
i learnt this kriti from sri krishna sir to sing along with him for this concert.
and all the sangathis (except two in the entire kriti) were repeated twice.
there are nearly 17 sangathis in the pallavi alone - a magnum opus indeed!!
i noticed you sing this kriti along with tmk. after a point of time, i lost track of the sangati number and whether it was repeated once or twice. hence, you should be right.

venkatharan

Post by venkatharan »

Hi, I am listening to TMK live for the first time even though i have liked his recordings earlier. To be frank the concert was truly a "SOUL FILLING" one. I would particularly appreciate 2 major things as to the rendition is concerned. The 1st was TMK's Kamboji alapana which showed many many new dimensions of the rage in a very beatific form and the 2nd was Guru KM's Thani, to me it was like Kamboji liingering in myears even when the thani was on.

There was a 3rd dimension very dominent in yesterday's TMK concert and that was the performer himself got engrossed in his own music (especially in Kamboji) and was taken a back by KM's karvais in between, where TMK had to hold on his breadth for a while before progressing.

Ofcourse i will be failing if i donot mention that the violin could have been a lot better and also the timing was a very big miss in total.

kgopin

Post by kgopin »

I would also agree that the kriti redering took long time. Manjunath also could have cut short his raaga apalapana.

vijay

Post by vijay »

The karvai on the rishabham was straight out of Sambamoothy’s book. To be precise, Book 3 page 361, where the author holds forth on Kedaragaula. Refrains of PD2SN3, PD2SN3 that would have given Mysore Vasudevachar some nice ideas for the Pallavi of Sree Chamundeshwari. According to a friend who has an ear for these things, Khamas was invoked in the beginning. Krishna’s Khamboji may have been better without such grammatical bloopers. Hmmm…italicize “mayâ€
Last edited by vijay on 28 Dec 2007, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

The Kambodhi alapana, kriti and Neraval is equal to RTP. I also agree Mari Mari Ninne is The SONG to reckon with, full of intricacies. If he skipped Atana and cut short Kambodhi a bit, he could have rendered RTP. But no regrets.

Manjunath and KM are solo performers. It is very difficult for them to cut short their time, in a concert. Km's thani is of full KaNakku, Taalam. Real class. The ovation,he got after the Tani, lasted for more than a minute, is proof of that. But, I felt something is missing in his art, comparing to UKS.

Though this site prohibits uploading concert, I would like to upload ONLY this "Tani" for those who missed it. But, definitely if moderators allow..

As one musician, while leaving told me- "He sings without any "Teermanam, no kaNakku or vazakku". Only in kambodhi-it existed". I feel sometimes, it is good not to know all these. But, for me, it was a good concert. Enjoyed.

I thought, when some one is asked the composer of Mari Mari..., that he might have got confused it is Vairamuthu not T. !!
Last edited by grsastrigal on 28 Dec 2007, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

wow. Great review subtly bringing out the shortfalls and highlighting the highs of the concert. Thanks for a fine review

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I have never heard Mari Mari before (except in the film "Sindhu Bhairavi," and I'm guessing it's not the same). Can anyone point me to a rendition online, if it exists? Thanks.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

bilahari wrote:I have never heard Mari Mari before (except in the film "Sindhu Bhairavi," and I'm guessing it's not the same). Can anyone point me to a rendition online, if it exists? Thanks.
There is an alathur brothers rendition of mari mari ninne in khambOdhi, I have a old casette recording.Check sangeethapriya you may be lucky. There are few musicians who have taken this no after that. What you heard in the film sindhu bhairavi is the same lyrics but IllayarAja retuned that in sAramathi .

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

From the descritpions it looks like " a planned no-RTP concert dwelling in substance" is equally good.

TMK delivering more often kamboji ( out of a few I attended , atleast two were main as kamboji).. trying to become a fav artist for kamboji , like mohanam of Maharajapuram, karakarapriya for SSI, Begada for Sanjay. He has a rajalakshmi audio release "o rangasayee" which is also a long one 67min. For the same reason I feel Rajalakshmi may not release this as a commercial release (yet another kamboji kamboji).
Last edited by rajaglan on 28 Dec 2007, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

ragatalabhava

Post by ragatalabhava »

Bilahari-If my memory is correct Late Dr Mani Krishnaswamy rendered this krithi in Music academy in the 97 season(if not 98 season) and this was broadcasted live by AIR .Hopefully AIR has this recording in their archives

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Balamurali has rendered this as part of a Kambhoji album. The other songs are Sri Raghuvara and Maa Janaki. I think it's a HMV release.

vijay

Post by vijay »

rajumds, since your post almost co-incides with GRS, I will beat him to claim your credit - thanks!

vijay

Post by vijay »

rajaglan wrote:He has a rajalakshmi audio release "o rangasayee" which is also a long one 67min. For the same reason I feel Rajalakshmi may not release this as a commercial release (yet another kamboji kamboji).
Hope they do...the rendition was a priceless gem....

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

//His Kambhoji, although a tad lengthy, was a less tawdry display//
Well, going by certain experiences, Manjunath's Kambhoji wasn't too lengthy. Actually, I liked his version better than TMK's.
Sathej

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vijay wrote:
rajaglan wrote:He has a rajalakshmi audio release "o rangasayee" which is also a long one 67min. For the same reason I feel Rajalakshmi may not release this as a commercial release (yet another kamboji kamboji).
Hope they do...the rendition was a priceless gem....
Dr. T. Sathish Kumar of Rajalakshmi Audio is a member here ( tsk5000) and from his few postings it looks like he is a CM connoisseur first and a label owner next. If he reads this thread, I am not sure how he can resist not releasing this concert!! ( Hint..Hint... )

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

I put in a lot of thought b4 posting this, but the question has been lingering too long in my mind to not ask any further... I noticed in the twitter thread that a lot of rasikas were intent on attending this concert... In fact, ppl seem to have been waiting for it for months... So from a psychological perspective, I'd like to know from those who were there- how much of the experience is a "P"review rather than a review? I mean everyone already has an edifice of a performance constructed in their mind's eye. Everyone WANTS it to be "one to remember for a long time." Is there not a loss of objectivity? I know everyone has favourites and expect a lot from them. But the sense of adulation and palpable euphoria(tickets sold out in the morning et al) that preceded this concert was so strong that I wonder if the mind played tricks on one's discernment, projecting the performance as better than it was? In other words, a bias?
Last edited by Jigyaasa on 29 Dec 2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Jigyaasa,
Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the concert since we were leaving Chennai early the next morning--left my 'music thirsty' heart behind, though.
Greedy me, I don't deny.
I heard from two other sources OUTSIDE of the forum--one a musician and the other a very choosy lover of music and they both spoke very highly of TMK's concert. The kAmbhOji captured their hearts. I have yet another source I am waiting to hear from. That would pretty much give me an idea about the concert...

saveri

Post by saveri »

To answer the query of Mari Mari Ninne ( Film Sindubhairavi) .....

Yes it is the same Tyagraja keertana in Raga Kamboji, which was altered and sung in Raga Saramathi.

As said by someone else, in the past except Alathur brothers, i have not heard this krithi being sung by anyone else.

Maybe someone else must have sung it too.........!

vijay

Post by vijay »

Jigyaasa as I've mentioned in my post, I went in with a bit of skepticism...for one I had an overdose of music on that day since it was my 4th one! I had a mild headache too and had half a mind not to attend...but in the end I was really glad I did.

Of course the charged ambience helped. But the same was the case last year and while it was a decent concert, it was nothing quite like this..

erode14

Post by erode14 »

karthit wrote:But as Harimau pointed out, the main piece went too long and the culprit clearly was Mysore Manjunath as his version of Kambodhi stretched too long, possibly longer than that of TMK. Ofcourse, he played extremely well...
Dear All,

Is it good to say an artiste as " culprit,":( though the word also mean reason or cause....?

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

hi,

Anybody can highlight these details (may be some students) ?

This is in reference to Ravikiran's posting on sangathis in mari mari ninne.

1. How many sangathis O ranga sayee , enduku pedala , marubalka and Jakkani raja songs have? pallavi and anupallavi only.
2. What are the high number sangathi songs....

sathsangeethapriyan

Post by sathsangeethapriyan »

BRILLIANT! SIMPLY BRILLIANT!! what an elaborate discussion a single cutcheri brings out. But it is worthy for the hype that was created about the concert with the best combination TMK-MANJU-KRM-SURESH (vijay - Suresh is not prefixed with palghat) Unfortunately most of the discussions here donot reflect the true wholesome experience of the audience with many of whom I have been interacting for more than four days now (They do not have an idea of forums and portals but still remain intoxicated with the brilliant performance by all the four best musicians on stage that day). Most of you are focussed towards TMK. It is like an analysis of KRISHNA'S MUSIC IN GENERAL. Again there are those who watch through the WATCH?! what is your real purpose? How can you enjoy music quantitatively? A violin raga and tani for lesser duration could bring enjoyment to you? Are we seeing the artistes on the stage as creative genius who try to give the best at a given situation keeping in mind their experience, we the audience, co-artistes' performance, the learned ones in the audience, the fans and ofcourse the time. Let us first understand that every artiste comes prepared for a concert to a certain extent keeping in mind all the above mentioned factors.
For my part of reviewing, I would say it was a rich concert in every respect ( even MA has made good collection!) TMK did full justice with purvikalyani and kamboji. Full marks to him for daring to take up Mari Mari Ninne! handled by greats like Alathur. Manju is a matured artiste and knows what to give where. He would never like to be an also run category. About KRM and Suresh's tani, words would not suffice. They have paired more than four times this season and everyone was unique and mind blowing. While KRM is a revolutionist and master of numerous ideas and great presenter, Suresh is to ghatam what Harishankar is to Kanjira. His techniques, brilliant ideas and unique style of korvais are a feast to watch. Please refrain from either ignoring these facts and lining them with all and sundry. I am a mridangam player cum musician though not professional and am competent to say this. These days KRM's aswell as Suresh present lots of ideas in Geometric ascends which was evident in their first round. rated first class. Again the misra kuraippu was in tisram one of the master crafts of KRM brilliantly reproduced by Suresh . Ofcourse the Mora and korvai (tisram)were also dramatic with pauses, subtle strokes and thunders combine. Every Artiste is unique. In my humble opinion comparisons imply lacking in taste distinction.
Last edited by sathsangeethapriyan on 31 Dec 2007, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

As for multi sangatis, vAtApi gaNapatim is there in the list. with the pallavi.

bhaktha

Post by bhaktha »

rajaglan wrote:2. What are the high number sangathi songs....
Apart from the biggies like caccani rAjamArgamU, O! rangashAyee etc, one must hear SSI's pattividuvarAdhu...i lost track of the no. of sangatis after a point. :D
-bhaktha

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

there are many more tyagaraja kritis with lots of sangatis

i can think of dAriNi telusukONTi and E pApamu off the cuff.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

grsastrigal, thanks but it's actually not the tani but the kriti mari mari. i take it it's from an AIR broadcast ?

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

hello rasikas and moderators of the forum,

i received the following message from my guru sri tm krishna sir about this unauthorised recording.
>>>
Dear Sir,
i just came to know that part of my concert at the Music Academy 2007 has been given as link on rasikas.org.
kindly remove it as it was recorded without the permission of Shri karaikudi mani, Shri Manjunath, Shri. suresh or myself or The Music Academy itself.

Thank You
Regards

T.M.Krishna
<<<

i request the owners/moderators to kindly take note of this.

thanks,
ravi.

vasanthakokilam

Those two posts by grsastrigal are removed.

grsastrigal, please abide by the forum rules about uploads.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Well, the rules state commercial recordings mustn't be uploaded. I wonder whether a recording broadcast on radio is commercial. Further, in the rules, it has been mentioned that the uploader must be informed of this first...Am not for the copyrights debate but feel the rules are rather unclear...
Sathej

vasanthakokilam

Sathejji, let us not get into a discussion about the policy regarding copy righted materials in this context. Hope you understand.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Of course, I understand... And please drop the ji...:)
Sathej