Meaning and lyrics of Ni uraipa Hanumanene, krtanam

Place to go if you want to ask someone identify raga, tala, composer etc or ask for sāhitya (lyrics) or notations or translations.
Bala Vasudeva

Post by Bala Vasudeva »

I need meaning of this krtanam that was taught at Kalakshethra in the past.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

nI uraippAi hanumAnE. rAgamAlikA

(rAgA: shrI)
P: nI uraippAi hanumAnE nAn sonnadAga unnai yAr ena vinaviDil shrI raghava dUtan enDru
S , , S R S n S n p n p m r g r s , , n s r s m r p m n p S n R (2x)
S R G G R S – n S R R S n – p n S R , S n p d n p m r g r s r m p n
(rAgA: dhanyAsi)
C1: muni oruttan yAshika pin shenru tATakaiyai panai pol vizha aDittEn pagaruvAi I solli
(rAgA: kAnaDA)
2: koDum kAnaDandu vara kUDAdenru nAn sholla naDuginAL vAvenrEn nagaittAL appOdu mella
(rAgA: vasantA)
3: mAnai piDittu en vasham tArOm enru nI uraittadinAlE vanda vinai tAn idu

arasi

Post by arasi »

C1: yASikka; SenRu; tADak(g)aiyai; vIzha;
'aDittEn pagaruvAi I Solli' ??

C3: vaSam; tArum;
Should there be an enRu at the end before repeating the pallavi?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Bala Vasudeva,

Here is my attempt at translating this - the usual disclaimers apply, and I welcome corrections/additions.

I think that the composer allows rAma's weariness and irritation to come through in his message to jAnaki, through hanUmAn!

P: nI uraippAi hanumAnE nAn sonnadAga unnai yAr ena vinaviDil shrI rAghava dUtan enDru

If sItA were to question (vinaviDil) you (unnai) about your identity (yAr ena), Oh hanUmAn, you (nI) will please tell her/enunciate (uraipAi) that (enDru) I (nAn) have made/called/labeled/marked you (SonnadAga) as 'the messenger (dUtan) of Lord (SrI) rAma (rAghava)'
S , , S R S n S n p n p m r g r s , , n s r s m r p m n p S n R (2x)
S R G G R S – n S R R S n – p n S R , S n p d n p m r g r s r m p n

(rAgA: dhanyAsi)
C1: muni oruttan yAcika pin shenru tATakaiyai panai pOl vizha aDittEn pagaruvAi nI solli

You (nI) will confirm/proclaim (pagaruvAi) your identity by sharing with/telling (Solli) her the story of how I accompanied (pin Senru – literally means 'walked behind') the sage (muni oruttan) viSvAmitra upon his request (yAcikka – beg) to the forest and killed (aDittEn) the huge demoness tATakA (tATakaiyai) who fell (vizha) to the ground like (pOl) a mighty palmyra/palm tree (panai).

(rAgA: kAnaDA)
2: koDum kAnaDandu vara kUDAdenru nAn sholla naDuginAL vAvenrEn nagaittAL appOdu mella
(rAgA: vasantA)
3: mAnai piDittu en vasham tArum enru nI uraittadinAlE vanda vinai tAn idu

Furthermore, you will remind her how upset/trembling with rage (naDunginAL) she was when I (nAn) forbade (kUDAdenru Solla) her from walking (naDandu vara) with me to the harsh (koDum) forest (kA), and how very pleased (mella nagaittAL – smiled a bit with happiness) she was when (appOdu) I acceded to her requests, and asked her to accompany me (vA enrEn). You will also give her this message (endru): "I think that this (idu) cursed situation (vinai) that we are now in has arisen (vanda) solely (tAn) because of these words (uraittadanAlE) of yours (nI) - please catch (piDittu) that golden deer (mAnai) and give it/make it (tArum) my (en) possession (vaSam)".

Lji: Whose composition is this? (P. Sivan's?)

Way back when (during the days when sangeetham.com was still opertaional), someone had offered to post an audio link with Adyar Sri Lakshman's version of this song. Sadly, I do not think it was ever posted. Can I send out another request for that version? Actually, any version will be acceptable!
Last edited by rshankar on 17 May 2008, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

It is a composition of Yazhpanam N.Viramani Iyer.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Lji.

Bala Vasudeva

Post by Bala Vasudeva »

Thanks to all of you! Very helpful indeed.