Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Can we discuss this Veena mastreo in this forum. I have heard from my father that he was the first person to bring in the vocal style in veena playing & he used to sing along as he played. Has anyone got any collections. I heard once a concert in AIR (from thier archives).

Ashwin

Post by Ashwin »

To get the discussion going, here is a recording from the old Xdrive collection (courtesy of Sri Raju Asokan) - begins with a brilliant sarasIruhAsanaprIyE in nATa...

http://rapidshare.de/files/13802936/KAR ... H.MP3.html

Here is the text accompanying the file:

KaraikudiSambasivaIyer-MuthuIyer

Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer
Karaikudi Muthu Iyer

nata adi pdi sarasiruha (S)
vijayasri adi thy varanarada (ATS)
kapinarayani adi thy sarasa samadana
sankarabharanam adi thy etuta nilachite (A)
ragamalika n n tanam

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

He was maestro no doubt. But, was he the first to bring vocal style in vINa playing. I thought it was always like that.

meena

Post by meena »

rajumds/anyone

could u pl. post a writeup/bio/etc. on Sree Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer ( i could not find any on the web) so that for folks like me who have not heard abt this vidwan would learn. thanku

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Born in 1888,younger of Karaikudi brothers(Subbarama iyer,the elder).Awarded Kalanidhi in 1951,passed away in 1958.
Preserved Karaikudi style of Veena playing(probably the 7th generation,with artists like Malayappa iyer(1750),Venkatesa iyer(1780),subbaraya iyer(1810),before him)
Both Ranaganayaki Rajagopalan and Rajeswari Padmanabhan(her daughter,Srividya Chandramouli is also a Veena player,so the tradition is very much alive) are his disciples.
Rajeswari tecacher is also a very good vocalist, used to sing during veena concerts.She is the person to be contacted to get more details of Sambasiva iyer.

meena

Post by meena »

radhakrishnanji
thanku

nallanchakra

Post by nallanchakra »

Karaikudi sambasiva Iyer's grandson lives in madras- He has a PhD in the karaikuddi style of Vina playing from Wesleyan University. He runs an organisation called brhaddhwani Fore more information log into www.brhadhwani.org

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

mishram

Post by mishram »

Pancha Thanam is believed to have been introduced/popularized by the duo. Karaikudi Subbarama Iyer (the other brother) is also known to have played the veena in an upright position. (like a tampura) There is a lot of continuity in the thanam playing and the meettus are brisk and majestic. The use of all seven strings to create a wave like feel while playing the thaanam is another salient feature of the Karaikudi school.

Usually most veena players use strings that are thinner (number 30) - but players hailing from karaikudi school use slightly thicker strings (28/29). The naadham is bold and powerful.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

those were the days in late 1940s when veena was played in its pristine form, I was a student in Madura college, when there were musical discussions in our house, attended by,my grandfather M.Subramanian,a tala expert, Dr.P C .Seetaraman, a musicologist, and Ramanathapuram.C.S.Sankarasivam,guru of TNS. they used to shower high praises on sambasiva iyer. I heard him open the kutcheri with saraseeruhasanapriye in nattai. at Perambur sangeetha sabha, nearly 50 years back. the crowd went into raptures, appreciating every sangathi. nostalgia apart, can anybody post it. gobilalitha

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

I just happened to see in The Hindu that Smt.Rajeswari Padmanabhan, the renowned vainika of the Karaikudi family passed away in chennai on friday. She was a great artist. Our hearfelt condolences to the family.

saadhyaa

Post by saadhyaa »

It is sad that Smt. Rajeswari Padmanabhan passed away on friday. and may her soul rest in peace.....and my heartfelt condolencs to her family members....

saadhyaa