ananda bhairavi

Rāga related discussions
suman pai

Post by suman pai »

can any body help me by giving links to downloads of raga 'ananda bhairavi'
Last edited by suman pai on 25 Oct 2008, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

go to sangeethamshare.org and type in anandabhairavi in the searchstrip and find a number of songs in this raga.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I remember Subbudu's outburst against fat cheque payments to hm performers.He used to say' I dare
any hm singer to sing anandabhairavi(excuse me, i have already mentioned this in another thread). The point is anandabhairavi such adifficult raaga? I am an ardent fan of TMK'S 'ksheera sagara' in
anandabhairavi gobilalitha

vijay

Post by vijay »

I am not sure what Subbudu meant by his comment. AB does have plenty of foreign notes so one needs to be careful. Slipping into Ritigowla is always a danger. Elaborations and swara kalpana can be quite taxing.

But there are plenty of such ragas in Hindustani as well. In fact in Hindustani music, you tend to have more ragas that have the same notes but different "pakads" which necessitates careful handling. Ramashraya Jha's mini lec-dem on a parallel thread should amply illustrate this point.

If I were Subbudu I would have focused my tirade on rhythm where CM is undoubtedly far more sophisticated.
Last edited by vijay on 26 Oct 2008, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

tmohan

Post by tmohan »

Many a times, Subbudu's comments were only to read and enjoy, not to make much meaning. Once Dr.Rukmani Arundel
told that Subbudu never appreciated her dance( rather approved!)

Though AB is considered as a property of Shyama Shastry, that of Dikshitar has several unique prayogas especially in
"tyAgarAja yogavaibhavam" ( the version of MSS is slightly different from that of KVN ; I consider MSS to be more authentic here, close to SSP). Some are not popularly used.

Mohan

anandabhairavi

Post by anandabhairavi »

Wow I love the ragam .Al ways wondered why no body sings it as main RAGA in an elaborate manner but just passing one in RTP.This is great news i will try with BP meter!!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

wow!
nice news.

i think i saw a songlist recently, which mentioned 'kamalAmbA samrakshatumAm' as main.

years ago, Sri Maruti Prasad, had sung 'marivEre' as main at his Academy concert.

songs like 'O jagadamba' or 'manasa guruguhA' and 'danDAyudapANim' are really mainable.

even RTPs in Anandabhairavi are rare...
Last edited by rbharath on 04 Apr 2009, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

I think I've seen a songlist with O Jagadamba as main. I don't recollect the artiste - TMK perhaps? There is also an RTP in Sangeethapriya by GNB, I guess. TNS has sung an RTP in Anandabhairavi-Sindubhairavi.

Sathej

braindrain

Post by braindrain »

rbharath wrote:even RTPs in Anandabhairavi are rare...
Is that so ? I listened to 3 concert with RTP in Anandabhairavi ( two of them by Vijay Siva and one by Gayathri Venkataraghavan) last year.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Dr.BMK has sung sunadavinodhini/Anandabhairavi RTP. I have heard it longback @Madurai.

SrinathK

Re: ananda bhairavi

Post by SrinathK »

Time to revive another thread. Ananda bhairavi is the only rAgA I'm aware of that uses all 3 Ds (D1, D2 and D3).

While Shyama Sastri and Dikshitar krithis come first to mind when thinking about this raga, I'm instead starting elsewhere with GNB singing Periyasami Thooran's sAma gAna priyE instead :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ6Am4Sv58I

And while we're at it, from an official HCL Maestros release : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEOXexM7WM - thyAgarAja yOga vaibhavam of Dikshitar

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

SrinathK wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 14:47 Time to revive another thread. Ananda bhairavi is the only rAgA I'm aware of that uses all 3 Ds (D1, D2 and D3).
ananda bhairavi as bhashanga raga uses:
g2(self) and g3(anya)
d2(self) and d1(anya)
n2(self) and n3(anya)
all these 3 prayogams can be illustrated in raveme maguva swarajathi.
link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeBKMlX8UFo

@SrinathK are you referring to d3 as n2 ?

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Yes, see, I have seen only a handful of musicians sing P N2 P S or N2 P M G P M G M G R, etc... everyone only sings it as P D3 P S or P D3 P M G R. The chittaswaram of O Jagadamba is an example.

N2 is explicitly used for S N2 D2 P phrases.

The phrase P N2 S IMHO does exist in Ananda Bhairavi although it is rare. It can be sung with a gap between the P and N2 S. Mostly it is sung as P R2 S

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

A 45 min elaboration with 2 pieces : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXpDG43_r4 by TMK. This is from the First edition arts Channel's Youtube so that's why I'm sharing it.

- The first composition was "azhudEn" penned by Perumal Murugan. The second composition, "O jagadamba" was by Shyama Sastri.

One advantage of singing at such an ultra slow tempo is that you can decipher every phrase.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Lalgudi Jayaraman playing kamalAmba samrakshatu (the first navAvarna kriti of Dikshitar) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pwf8M1u8oU#t=31m22s - Official channel of Music Today

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

SrinathK wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 10:12 P D3 P M G R. The chittaswaram of O Jagadamba is an example.
need a clarification
"P D3 P M G R" this phrase you stated, can it look like this too "P D1 P M G R"

because what i know is
D1 is used in phrases like
P D1 P and go towards M

D2 is used in phrases like
P D2 P S
P D2 P N S
and go towards N or S'

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Yes, G M P D1 M P, or D1 P D1 M P G R (marivErE chittasawaram - that uses all 3 of them), G M P D1, G,, (in alApanas) are all possible.

No D2 is not used in P D P S. It is P D3 P S or P N2 P S (some musicians even sing it that way to avoid a vivAdi swaram).

D2 is used in N2 D2 P phrases.

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

sure, thanks

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

coming to varnams it reminds me of these 2:

>Sakhiye inda velayil jalam sheyyade (pv) - Anandabhairavi - Adi - Shivanandam
(this varnam has done a complete justice to anandabiravi ragam,
the muktayi swarams are beautifully composed wherein one can imagine the ullasa-nadai, joyful walk of
dancer/swarams)

>Sami ni rammanave sarasakshi i vela (tv) - Anandabhairavi - Ata - Shyama Shastri
(this follows the same structure of viriboni varnam whose composer is adiappayya , guru of shyama-shyastrigal,
also the usage of words are fabulous, we can also see the Dhatu Mathu alankara employed here)

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

Anandha Bhairavi ragam said to be as shyama shastris swatthu (property)

Has composed 6 kerthanams and 1 varnam in this ragam
Shastrigal has covered all possible prayogams of Ananda Bhairavi in these compositions.

A dinamuninci
himAcala tanaya
mahilO ambA
mari vErE gati
O jagadambA
pAhi SrI giri rAja
And
Sami ni rammanave varnam

Mari vere gati: this composition is so very popular and technically sound, any one trying to do an alapana of this ragam will keep this as a reference point

Himachal Tanaya: this composition has a very nice opening in pallavi and anupallavi confirming AB ragam, where the all 3 charanas have same varna mettu with good usage of words fitting apty.
What a wordplay !!!

Pahi Sri giriraja: the characteristic phrase of AB ragam is the dhatu prayogams b/w only prakruthi swaras ie. S-P-S', This can be seen in the opening word pa-hi-sri

More that all these Sangeetha laksanams,
Addressing bangaru kakmakshi ambal by SS in ananadbharavi ragam, divinity just outflows.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

GNB RTP in Ananda bhairavi :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Tfl3vmgyI&t=1157s - pArvati paramAnanda bhairavi in Adi tAlA 1 1/2 eDuppu.

For any elaborate renditions of rAgAs, GNB is the go to vidwan for the job - the amount of detail he packs into his rAgA AlApanAs is something else.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

When venkaTamakhin wrote about Ananda Bhairavi, he used only D1 (shuddha dhaivatam). During the time the SSP was written, Ananda bhairavi used shuddha dhaivatam for the S N D P phrase and D2 is said to have been adopted over time in certain phrases. The SSP rendition of kamalAmba samrakshatu can sound alien at some spots because of that D1. These days, D1 is only used on some phrases for a more emotional impact.

But looking at the mUrchana from the SSP, it looks like N3 was at least used in some arOhanam phrases, though I am not clear about that one.

It used phrases like PNNS as well. GNB for one never used D3 in his rendition of this rAgA, he used only N2 in phrases like PNPS, etc. It's clear from that RTP I shared. Now-a-days we tend to sing that also as D3, as in P D3 P S.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SrinathK wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 15:12 GNB RTP in Ananda bhairavi :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Tfl3vmgyI&t=1157s - pArvati paramAnanda bhairavi in Adi tAlA 1 1/2 eDuppu.

For any elaborate renditions of rAgAs, GNB is the go to vidwan for the job - the amount of detail he packs into his rAgA AlApanAs is something else.
Not just elaboration , some times GNB packs so much of punch of raga bhava with intense creativity. While all musicians usually sing thirruppugazh where other than the popular hamsanandi thirruppugazh you only get a concotion of words as perumAle stopper at the end. GNB introduces intense packed anandabhairavi in thirruppugazh, felt I had my first orange juice after a long day of fasting or dharna :lol: :lol:

GNB in his intense best singing dhavaloroopa -thirruppugazh in anandabhairavi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKmQEHuCZ4

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Back in the day, Carnatica, via their archival center (CAC), used to host raganubhava sessions where musicologists would discuss rAgAs in depth. They published their discussions in a monthly newsletter.

Take a look at the thorough discussion of Ananda bhairavi here : http://carnatica.in/newsletter/anandabh ... letter.htm

Unfortunately they did not cover too many rAgAs, but this is the difference between true musicologists and rank amateurs like us. If they had covered many more ragas, I need not have to write anything.

In time I will try to get discussions like these from various sources and compile them here.

Meanwhile, listen to mAnasa guruguha of Dikshitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnZkyJQT1pw

Who knows how many more kritis Thyagaraja could have composed in it if some contemporaries had not made him promise not to compose more than once in it. All other composers certainly had a field day with it.

vainika

Post by vainika »

Aruna Sairam has sung a version of kamala sulOchana that uses G2 and G3. It's the first piece at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMp4ZZ8xcIo&t=990s. Has anyone encountered such a version before?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here are the versions of Anandabhairavi. Maybe Arun sings in one of these versions.,

Anandabhairavi--20--S G M P D P S N D N S--S N D P M G R S--rp--N
Anandabhairavi--20--S G M P D P S N S--S N D P M G R S--rp--SD
Anandabhairavi--20--S G M P D P S--S N D P M G R S--rp--R
Anandabhairavi--20--S G R G M P D P N S--S N D P G R S--rp--R
Anandabhairavi--20--S G R G M P D P N S--S N D P M G R S N S--rp--M
Anandabhairavi--20--S G R G M P S N S--S N D P M G R S--p--AP
Anandabhairavi--20--S G R G M P S--S N D P M G R S--rp--R

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

vainika wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 17:34 Aruna Sairam has sung a version of kamala sulOchana that uses G2 and G3. It's the first piece at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMp4ZZ8xcIo&t=990s. Has anyone encountered such a version before?
yes!

as this is a part of bala patham, its is kept straight and simple
but difference can be noticed when we play on veena (the usage of g3 note)
it comes only in 2 prayogas

P , M G3|M , G R |G , R n |S , S , |(Chandana Kumkuma ...)
P P M G3|M M G R|G G R n |S , S , |(Parimala Kasthuri ...)

the murchana is as follows:
s g2 r2 g2 m1 p d2 p n2 S - S n2 d2 p d1 p m g3 m g2 r2 s

ajaysimha

Post by ajaysimha »

hello rasikas,

can anyone suggest viruthams that are tuned and sung in anandha bhairavi
(it is okey , if its in ragamalika pattern too)

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

The Geetham Kamala sulochana is one that presents a plain depiction of Anandabhairavi. I have listened to children in elementary classes singing this and the raga would appear highly elusive. Neither the teacher would explain the salient features of the raga or give some idea of how the raga would emerge after some real practice. Unfortunately The uruppadi is seldom taken up for revision!!