Mudikondan C. Venkatarama Iyer (1897-1975)

Carnatic Musicians
srkris
Site Admin

Mudikondan C. Venkatarama Iyer (1897-1975)

Post by srkris »

Mudicondan with Lalgudi & UKS (R.Vedavalli is also seen)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Srkris
that may be Mudicondan and not Musri.Can you please check up again.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hehe, sorry for the glaring mistake. :D

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

How did I miss that ;)
(of course that was why LGJ is laughing in his sleeved ;) )

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

> (of course that was why LGJ is laughing...)

:)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Who is the girl between Mudikondan and LGJ?
Also, isn't Mudikondan the guru of Smt. Vedavalli?
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ravi
Your answer is in your question. And the answer is also in the very first post. ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

WOW! I did not recognise her:
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Ravi
She beat you at your own game. Hide and seek ;) :twisted:

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

For the Simhanandana tAla pallavi demo in 1970 at MA Mudicondan was accompanied by LGJ and UKS.
This may be a photograph taken during that concert.

sumram99

Post by sumram99 »

I just got to hear that Smt. R. Vedavalli is visiting her daughter in the USA. I plan to spend some time with Amma and hopefully get to hear her experiences during her Gurukulavasam with Mudicondan.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Any recordings of Mudicondan's music available amongst rasikas? I believe he lived until well into the 70s, so I am surprised that his music is hard to come by.

http://www.chennaionline.com/musicnew/C ... /203rd.asp
An excerpt:
"I recently came across an article of Mudicondan on the Bhairavi raga, published in 'Shanmukha' magazine. This was republished from the Mudicondan Centenary Volume. The article is most informative and raises a lot of interesting issues regarding modern trends in the handling of the raga."

Does anyone here have access to the original article mentioned above?

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Jayaram
Sony Music has comeout (rel in 2002/03??) with a lecdem of Sri Mudikondan. Vocal suport by Smt vedavalli, Lalgudi and UKS.
Pallavi in simhanandana tala and Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer's melaragamalika. A great lecdem/concert and a must have album.

SSK

Post by SSK »

THe following are the recollections of Prof Mysore V. Ramarathnam's on legendary musicologist and vidwan Mudikondan C. Venkatarama Iyer, From the book "Reminescences of a Musician" by Prof. Mysore V. Ramarathnam (1917 - 2008)

Mudicondan Venkatarama Iyer was an intellectual, a great vocalist and a scholar in Carnatic music theory. Though I was not intimately acquainted with him, I have heard some of his lectures and demonstrations at the Madras Music Academy. He delivered a scholarly lecture on Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer’s contribution to music and his musical poetry. He illustrated these with the Maha’s Varnam Pankajakshi and the Kambhoji pallavi in the complex Simhanandana tala time measure with Lalgudi Jayaraman on the violin and Umayalpuram Sivaraman on the mridangam. This is one of the ancient 108 time measures. A single avarta of this time measure comprises of 128 aksharakala. Its constituents are two gurus, one laghu pluta, laghu, guru, two laghus. While explaining this time-measure, he informed the audience that Maha Vaidyanatha Iyer learnt it from an eminent Tavil player and composed the sahitya or literary part to the Jatis.

It was truly an excellent demonstrative lecture attended by most well known musicians from Madras. Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer while complimenting him for his erudition, honored him with a shawl and saidâ€â€Â

mohan

Post by mohan »

medea

Post by medea »

Dr J.Marr mentions that he learnt from Mudikondan Sri Venkatarama Iyer and speaks of his tala gnyanam at 05.44:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKBe2c3i_Sk

ksrimech

Re: Mudikondan C. Venkatarama Iyer (1897-1975)

Post by ksrimech »

Please listen to a lecture demonstration on mahAvaidyanAthaSivan (His life, times and contribution to karnATaka sangItam) by Sangeetha Kalanidhi Mudikondan Venkatarama Iyer @ http://www.youtube.com/user/bhagyavijaya.

This is at Music Academy I think from 1970 (The year dA kR paTTammAL got her virudu) combined with the 60th birthday celebrations of Dr V rAghavan. It is a gem of a recording. vEdavalli mAmi is accompanying him. Some parts of the recording are not that clear. I simply loved the way he sang the sollukaTTu the mELarAgamAlikA, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

There is picture from the same lec-dem on a duplicate thread with the same name. (http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=513)

srkris or one of the moderators, will you please join these two threads?

vasanthakokilam

Re: Mudicondan Venkatarama Iyer

Post by vasanthakokilam »

merged

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thanks so much Springbird!

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

Re: post #17 - the youtube channel has quite a large number of uploads of Mudicondan audio clips:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bhagyavijaya#g/u

Truly a treasure trove.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

simhananda pallavi of Mudikondan writeup.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 557786.ece

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

Thanks Rajesh.

Does the recording of the simhananda tala pallavi lec-dem of Mudicondan still exists??

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Writeup of Vidushi Vedavalli lecdem on Mudikondan
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/che ... 5415.ecean
the hindu wrote: Vedavalli also spoke about the treatises Mudikondan owned and the notes he made while reading them and his teaching methodologies that allowed the disciple to explore and analyse.
Can i get some more pointers on the treatise that vidushi vedavalli says? any one who atttended this lecdem can perhaps answer

ark07

Post by ark07 »

I was browsing through an old edition (1964) of Indian Music Journal and came across this short but interesting article written by Mudikondan Venkatarama Iyer. In it, he is slightly critical of the manodharma aspect or the lack of it in Carnatic music in the last 100 years (last 50 years when he wrote the article) because of the katcheri format. He writes that the standard of the quality of music decreased because of musicians rendering too many krithis and not devoting enough time for creative expansion. I will attach the screenshots of the article below.

Perhaps this post is better suited for discussion in other parts of this forum but my intention to post this here is to make a request: Has Shri Venkatarama Iyer written more about this topic and if so, where can I find them?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice post ark07- This is what I am also saying for years what Mudikondan says -Only when the musician devotes more time for Ragam, Tanam, pallavi , Neraval and swara singing, the creative ability of art music would improve . But he also takes a illogical balti bit before -some forty years ago not more than six numbers are sung prior to main raga alapana . Attimes 6 numbers can even be sung before main in 45 mins or even 90 to 120 mins before main,devil is in granular details.

I think it is even better for mudikondan to accurately drill how submain and main with R , Tanam , N and S are detailed out and more importantly the mother of all problems is the absolute time of a concert . Who cares evening or morning , only absolute time of a concert counts.