Welcome to new members

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

welcome kki,
A hearty welcome to u and best wishes
I am sure and I wish u gradually transform from a rasikai to a VIDHUSHI , since ur ardent desire is quite admirable .God Bless you !!!
Ramaraj

kki

Post by kki »

Thank you Ramarajji! I am lucky to get your welcome and blessings.I had read about your compositions.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/v5oxe8

Welcome kki.
Here is a Welcome-ghazal-drink.
A longtime favourite of mine.
:)

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo kki,
I am a strong believer of the universal truth, that even to get an initial "RUCHI' in CM , one should have been blessed with the DIVINE GRACE OF THE ALMIGHTY and your penchant affinity will naturally take you along in your musical soujourn,for it is a great thing that even inspite of several distractions people like you evince interest ,will augur well for the promotion of the Divine art in our own humble way !!
Let there be melody throughout and ETERNAL BLISS all along !!!
Ramaraj

kki

Post by kki »

Coolkarniji-Thanks very much for the beautiful ghazal !

Ramarajji-Thank you!

vm

Post by vm »

hello..

i have been an ardent passinate soul of music, in any indian classic style. have learnt very little of it and quit due to lack of time to practice, but a very avid barathanatyam dancer for more than 23 yrs. nice to meet you all at this forum :)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Welcome vm.
Hope you will have a nice time here,
Here is a Welcome track for you.
Pasupathi practising a Tiger Varnam in the Company of Adyar Lakshmanan

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k39vhk

meena

Post by meena »

aha.. Kji
THANKU for the lovely shriranjani varnam -Ehi manmata koti .

Im A Skal Man

Post by Im A Skal Man »

Hello,
I've been evesdropping for some time, enjoying the conversations and learning a lot. I am not of Indian heritage and do not speak the languages, so much is lost on me, but I am eager to learn. I am a CM music fan and am getting started on the road learning veena.
Aren

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Hi Aren:
Welcome to this forum! In our dictionary all carnatic music lovers, irrespective of nationality, are Indians. We adopt you. If you have any questions feel free to post and we will try to answer them here.

Im A Skal Man

Post by Im A Skal Man »

Thanks for making me feel welcome mahakavi.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Aren, you are not the only "non-Indian" here! Don't let it worry you at all.

Much of this forum is way above my head, and among its membership are many with very deep knowledge, even musicians.

But we are made welcome at whatever level we are able to engage, and elementary questions are never scorned.

Welcome :)

madhurya

Post by madhurya »

Hello everybody! its nice to be with musically knowledgable people!
i am Rupa Sridhar -a musician ..vocalist..and into teaching music and Musicology. have been in this forum since some time..but didn't see this intro part till today.
Last edited by madhurya on 15 May 2007, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Belated welcome, Rupa.

sudharavi

Post by sudharavi »

i am a new memberto this forum. Can I listen to Carnatic ragas online. if yes How?
Sudha Ravi

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Welcome Sudha, I guess you can try www.musicindiaonline.com

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Members of rasikas.org will have an opportunity to meet cmlover on June 28th evening at a concert of PB Sriranga Rangachary -Disciple of Calcutta Krishnamurthy and TNS- Venue will be the residence of Mr Subramaniam in West Mambalam (where we had the concert of TV Ramprasadh).

In case CML gets delayed in his return to Chennai and is unable to attend this concert, members can catch up later on Sunday the 1st of July when we Intend to meet at Manakkal Rangarajan's Place

arasi

Post by arasi »

Wish I were there...
Last edited by arasi on 14 Jun 2007, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh, great! I'll be there :D

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Thats a very good place to meet our best known senior citizen of the forum. ;)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Kji,
Wasn't/Isn't Sri Rangachari based in Pondicherry?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

No Idea.He hails from Thirupathi.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover,
When coolkarni called and informed me about that you are arriving at madras and will meet with Shri manakkAl rangarAjan, it appeared nAdia comaneci perfect 10 and I was elated and called manakkAl Sriram, he appeared more charged than I am. Please do take care of yourself and avoid too much of travelling , Madras and all cities have long traffic snarls everywhere (just perhaps you will discover this to your shock every day it gets worse).

Meanwhile till I(we) meet you in person , we will be wondering who is older Shri Cmlover or Shri manakkAl rangarAjan in age, but certainly there is a tie in energy and enthusiasm.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I knew you would be elated!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

July 1st... I'm going to have to put off my 4th July birthday trip!

Or maybe I should make this my birthday trip :)

Although that would be a little unfair on my wife!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Nick ..you can meet him on other days too.I will let you know.
dont change your birthday plans.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

coolkarniji,
I would love to meet up with cmloverji too. Could you please post the address of the concert venue ? Thanks.
Uday

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Uday
Venue on June 28th will be
6.00 PM
Residence of
G.Subramanian
Old No 7 , New No 15,
Balakrishna Mudali Sreet,
West Mambalam,
Chennai 33

But there is a small chance that CMl may not have returned to Chennai in time.(from the other leg of his tour)
If that happens , we will take the next opportunity at Manakkals home near Thiruvanmiyur.For latest details , members can leave their email IDs or phone numbers with me by emailing me at chennairasika@gmail.com

vijay

Post by vijay »

Would certainly be great to meet CML and Uday Shankar as well. Just hope I am in town on 28th.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Damn. I will be in Chennai from 22nd to 26th. Too bad I'll miss this :-(

paddu

Post by paddu »

For people like me, who cannot make it to this event, we just have to use our imagination.
Wouldn't it be nice to know how all our dear member look like. I always imagine Kji to be like the young Prithviraj Kapoor (worldly and wise), listening to some HM surrounded by loads of CD's, books and cassettes .... (Kji pardon me, but when I read your posts, this is the image of you I get.).... So wouldn't it be nice if we had an option to post our photos in our profiles?

Thanks
Paddu

sbala

Post by sbala »

Holding onto the imagination helps. Photographs would spoil the fun. I have only seen Kji without his books or CDs but you are not very far off. He can certainly regale you with stories of his musical experiences that can elevate your appreciation skills a notch or two. Include a cup of tea and you have a perfect recipe for a beginner like me!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Well you would have seen most of us if you had followed the concert thread early on.CML certainly found out with his X Ray eyes that I was a bit like the older Prithviraj Kapoor (and I have been working hard since then to bring down my weight !!--even sporting a bald Yul Brunner look to divert attention from my waist)

But I do hope to catch CML on Video at Manakkals home and their lesisurely chat on July 1st.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

CoolkarniJi
as suggested by u, have given my residential,E.Mail, and tel No:deatils to you thro E.mail
Ramaraj

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cool, Cool! Prithviraj, paddu says. The handsomest of the Kapoor clan!

Rasika

Post by Rasika »

just joined

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Just out of curiosity. In an online forum like this, does the way we read a particular person's post change after meeting that person? It could either be the way we perceive the post or the actual way in which we read the post in our head.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Yes! If you read a post by a person without meeting/knowing him, you tend to read his/her post in any of 3 ways--neutral (at its face value), positive (if that person's view jibes with yours), and negative (if he/she expresses views contrary to your own viewpoint)
Once you meet that person, it is only two ways--- positive (if you have had good rapport with that person) and negative (if you were put off by that person's personality)

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

Very true Mahakavi. The other angle is , you form an opinion about a person based on his posts and this may distort your ability to understand the person when you meet in person.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

does the way we read a particular person's post change after meeting that person?
Ah !
The beauty of reading "84, Charing Cross Road " for the first time.Such a fine experience !!!
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/lr/2003/0 ... 450600.htm

Ahiri- You can look for the video version of this for me, in the London Stores.

On a cynical note , one can never forget the wisdom of Oscar Wilde who famously ,said

There is one thing infinitely more pathetic than to have lost the woman one is in love with.
And that is to have won her and found out how shallow she is. ….in conversation.

Last edited by coolkarni on 21 Jun 2007, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

coolkarni wrote:
does the way we read a particular person's post change after meeting that person?
Ahiri- You can look for the video version of this for me, in the London Stores.
Cool ji, I've got it :) Bring it over next time I am in Madras.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Thank You !!!!

sbala

Post by sbala »

The web has especially been a boon for introverts to express themselves. If you meet one of that kind, you might find a big difference between your model and the reality. In my limited experience, meetups with online friends begin cautiously with both parties trying to fit that person into their mental model and both parties trying to stay true to their online identity. In such cases, the whole thing becomes a tense affair.

On the whole, I don't believe anybody who say they can assess people over 2 mins or 2 posts. Those are all just illusions. Truly understanding another person without preconceived notions takes a much longer time and once you reach that level of understanding, the friendship continues through memories even without physical or online proximity.

Sorry for all the rambling...A tiring day at work and my brain automatically switches to philosophical mode when I'm forced to work harder than I want to.
Last edited by sbala on 21 Jun 2007, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

sbala:
I concur. Many a time a relationship (either online interaction or a face-to-face) that starts with a tussle eventually develops into a wholesome one once the tiny wrinkles get ironed out in natural course.

On the other hand, some very good relationships can eventually sour once some deep-seated prejudice/disagreement comes to the fore. The human mind is a puzzle (I am not the first one to say so!)

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

mahakavi, I've been on both ends many a time. :-). How do you decide if the meeting went well or not? Unless the other person does or says something totally offending, I could probably never perceive a person negatively on meeting him for the first time.

I've personally experienced that I begin to see a person's viewpoint more clearly or understand where he's coming from, after having met him.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Phew! I nearly came to the concert tomorrow!

So it is Thursday 28th? of June? [Blush]

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Yes
28th of June-Same place where we had the first concert.

July 28th - Manda Sudha Rani-Vocal .. is also confirmed.Though we are yet to finalise the Venue.CML has arrived and is very keen to meet all of us.So if you like to spend some time with him on that day, it would be advisable to come early ,say by 4.30 pm.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

First Concert?

Would have gone to the wrong place on the wrong day [Blush] !

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

The hall in the first floor.The house that will be history in a few months time , giving way to flats, remember ???
Anyway, as usual I will be available on the helpline on my mobile,for last minute blushes.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Have to wait a long while before I attend a forum concert. Have a good one, all!
You get the cake, with the icing on the top too--greetings to CML! Hope he has a lovely time in India...
Last edited by arasi on 23 Jun 2007, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.