G.N. Balasubramaniam (GNB)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Coolkarni/GBR

what a speech! It is more interesting to hear somebody (TRS) talk about GNB than hearing his compositions. There must be more such speeches on the mahanubhava by veterans. Please make them available to us. It is like being transported into the world of GNB. Every word they say brings back golden memories of the great man himself. We recapture what we missed when we were listening to him singing, taking for granted that he will be with us for a long time. Give us those time capsules! We beg of you!

Our thanks to vijayaraghavan!

ramamrutham

Post by ramamrutham »

Coolkarni Sir,

Isn't there an elaborate Bhairavi RTP also in that concert of GNB??

Ramamrutham.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

ramamrutham.sorry i missed it.
will upload it tomorrow.

ramamrutham

Post by ramamrutham »

Thanks a lot, Coolkarni Sir.

venkatpv

Post by venkatpv »

beautiful speech by TRS indeed!!! just shows the passion that he has for music :)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Kulkarniji:

Given my soft spot and high regard for Bhairavi, I jumped on this one immediately. The combination of GNB, Chowdayya and Bhairavi was just too irresistable.

I have so far listened only to the first part. Let me tell you, this manifestation of Bhairavi in the hands of these two masters is a treasure...

Just prior to that, I listened to the TRS speech on GNB and there TRS says about what GNB does while singing the Raga as part of an RTP ( consisting of multiple parts, alternating with the violinist, dileneating the various segments of the octave ). GNB does pretty much that in this RTP, leading Chowdayya along for the happy ride.

36 minutes of this and a pairing with the masterful Chowdayyah takes this Bhairavi delineation, deconstruction and construction, into an entirely different plane and dimension. It is going to give me several hours of sowkyam listening repeatedly and intently to this 36 minutes.

And wow, there is so much more of this quality to come in this concert from rest of the songs....I am going to be busy listening for quite a while.

Thanks very much....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

vk..
i am not surprised...
reethigowla , kalyani , dharee neee ,sukhee evvaro ...there are so many brilliant moments all through.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

GBR
GNB must have had a great relationship with Chowdiah.Wonder if you could throw some more light on this.
I had personally never been a fan of Chowdiah's playing or his seven stringed violin , but it is only through such recordings that I get a glimpse of what he was probably trying to achieve.I remember having read somewhere that he experimented with his violin to make it more audible to the audience in the mikeless days.Is that correct ?
There are some phases in this concert where I can notice the sound coming out as though being blown through the instrument , with such a force.Maybe the violin experts can comment here.

Way back in 1973 , my aunt had an occasion to stay in mysore for four months as part of her prepartion for senior Hindi Exams.And the rooms she took for lodging , was in Chowdiahs House -
the rooms he had built for his disciples .
I spent one fine summer with her , though I was not aware of the heritage value.Ambareesh(grandson) who was yet to become a film star then used to goad me into taking a ride in the vintage car . The garage door opened, the car would roll down till the gate and then a left onto the road it would roll for another half a kilometre before he would think of starting the vehicle.
If only I had known the importance !!
I was just too busy lapping up Dosas at a Ballal Hotel , watching great English movies at a (Gayathri?) Theatre and spending countless hours watching tennis at a local club.
And of course those bathrooms with huge pots of hot water -Gallons and gallons of it.
Thanks to that experience I have some idea of what is a ROYAL LIFE !
Though i must admit that I did see his great violin in the pooja room
- His widow would not allow anyone to touch it

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dear Sri Kulkarni, Rasikas,

Information you wanted.

1) Pooja. He had a mantap built specially for his puja and it had a Mahameru, Srichakram, and also a 8inch panchaloha idol of His ishtadevatha Nadaroopa sundari, made at home on his instructions. One Siddha also had given him a lingam (had to be kept in Milk always) made of padarasa (mercury) it was quite slippery to touch and heavy but solid.

We also had family puja consisiting of some idols and he also had a special box to take with him with some idols for daily puja when he was travelling. He was meticulous in his pooja and other religious rites. On 27th April, 1965, 4 days before he died, he came home from the hospital with an oxygen cylinder, did his fathers shradh and went back to hospital in the evening. (he died on 1.5.65)

2) Chowdiah: Both had a lot of mutual respect and admiration. There used to be a column in Ananda Vikatan in the 50's called Ivargal Sandittal.

one of them featured my father and Chowdiah.. they discussed thier passion in this imaginary conversation -- cars.. both of them were car lovers and changed cars often.

you must read my friend Ram's article on my father and Sri Chowdiah in his site classical-music-review.blogspot.com, I really learnt a lot about Sri Chowdiah in that article.

My father kept the nickname Soundiah to Sri Chowdiah as his violin prouduced good volume.

He used to address him as Chowdiahgaru...They were very good friends
also.
Rgds
Rajasekar

meena

Post by meena »

kAraNamEmi kAnanE-AndOlikA-RUpaka

P: kAraNamEmi kAnanEkaruNa galga lEkayunna
A: vAraNa bhaya nivAriNi vAncitArtha dAyini
C: pUrNEndu nibha vadani bhuvana sakala pAlini bhratIjita mrdu vacani pAra mahima vilAsini

karimukha varadA-nATa-Adi

P: karimukha varadA mAm pAlaya
A: parikIrtita vighna nivAraNa sari sama rahita sankaTa haraNa
C: hari surEshAdi vandita pada giri kanyA suta gIta jnAnata
durita dukkha bhaya tApa samhara haritA mOdaka Amra phala priya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks very much Meena for the promptness!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

That was a SUPERB AnDHOLikA...
A request for Murthy: can you 'clean' this track up as well???? Or, Kulkarni sa'ab is this the best this can be 'cleaned' (because I know that you try to clean up as well)?
Ravi

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Rshankar
Here is a better track ..
http://rapidshare.de/files/16208316/.sk ... dolika.mp3

and another high octane andolika by somu-lalgudi
guarnteed to shake you up..
http://rapidshare.de/files/16210034/somu-andolika.mp3

ofcourse I presume MLV's famous RTP is old news ...

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

Rajasekar sir, do you remember Balu mama from Karumariamman temple, Mahalakshmi Layout?

gb_rajasekar

Post by gb_rajasekar »

Dear Sudarshan,

of course, i remember Balu Mama very well and aunty also
Rgds
Rajasekar

meena

Post by meena »

Sir GBR

which was the very first kriti that ur father composed?

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

GBR sir, had to get clarified from Appa and then posted the message. He keeps recollecting your words about your respected father. Please convey my regards to Maami too.

vasanthakokilam

One Siddha also had given him a lingam (had to be kept in Milk always) made of padarasa (mercury) it was quite slippery to touch and heavy but solid.
This may be a bit tangential to the topic at hand but important enough to bring up. Exposed mercury is considered very harmful these days.

GBR, the lingam that you mention, is that enclosed in something or exposed. Does your household still have the lingam? I realize that this can be a religiously sensitive issue but it is worth paying attention to the health issue. Does any one else here know anything more about this?

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

While ruumaging through some old books and magazines , I came across the June 1965 issue of Kalaimagal (a Tamil monthly). This issue has a mention in the editorial regarding GNB's sad demise and also a biographical article on GNB . I want to scan and upload both. I do not know if any copyright issue is involved. Srkris others pleas clarify.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Here is an article written by Sri GNB.

http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/kritignb.html

vasanthakokilam

Great article. Thanks Mohan. Excellent thoughts on the development of our music. Great English writing style as well.

So, Shri. GNB says then that during the Trinity's time, their songs were not sung in concerts since singing Kirthanams in concerts came much much later..... Interesting. So they composed all their songs for Bhajan purposes then which later got adopted for the concert format?

"...The dissociation of music from this attitude began only about the latter half of the 19th Century, almost immediately after the time of the South Indian Trinity..."

This is interesting to learn. Quite timely as I was trying to make sense out of the times the Oh kAlamE song was composed since that can be considered a disassocation from the religious attitude. I wonder who else in the latter half of the 19th century composed music outside of the religious context.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

A nice picture of GNB... with Chowdiah and Mani Iyer

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

With Lalgudi and Raghu in TDM Hall, 1956

kaapi

Post by kaapi »

GNB passed away on 1st May 1965.

I have scanned and uploded an article on GNB which appeared in kalaimagal June '65 issue.

http://rapidshare.de/files/19339861/Gnb_02.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/19339955/Gnb_03.jpg.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/19340010/Gnb_04.jpg.html

meena

Post by meena »

thanks kaapi.

Now if some good soul rasika, would post what the article reads, i too can enjoy :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

thanks kaapi.

Now if some good soul rasika, would post what the article reads, i too can enjoy :)
Meena,
In the first picture the bold letters at the bottom means
"Will he come Back"? literally..

The rest it will take me long to read.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

kaapi

Thanks a million. Brings back a flood of memories that I had when I read as it was published!

satyaM| punar Agacca!(True! Do come back!)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

CML/DRS,
Please translate!
My classes with 'naNNan' from Madras DD are of no help here.
Ravi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On May 1st ,2006 , Indian Fine Arts conducted "GNB DAY" . Shri TR Subramaniam (TRS)spoke about GNB.

Some highlights that I recall and worth mentioning are
1. Trichur Ramachandran's daughter Subhashri Ramachandran sang a short "Paramukhane Nelanum", a KAnada Krithi composed by Shri GNB as Irai Vanakkam(Invocation of God).

2. The sabha Seceretary prior to handing over the mike to Shri TRS , recalled his experience of Shri GNB. He started with an interesting joke that he said appeared in Vikatan in 1960's . Goddess Parvathi was exclaiming to Paramasivan "Why is that Vinayaka is not interested in getting married", for which Paramasivan said "Vinayaka has asked me to arrange a GNB concert , I am not getting dates , that is why he is still not married".

3. Shri TRS took the stage from there.Shri TRS said Before GNB, Sangeetha Gurukulam was the norm and most of the cases Sangeetham was a one way traffic from Guru to Sishya . But GNB blazed a new trial . Shri TRS gave an example of the KAnada krithi where it was customary for all krithis to start in a lower sthayi (Sukhi Evaro..). But GNB said "Ellarum Ethukku KAnada Keezha Kattindu Azhanum (Why should all sing KAnada in lower sthayi) ", and he composed the krithi "Paramukhane Nelanum" in upper sthayi

4. Shri TRS said I and many youngsters became addicts of his music , and He said his inspiration for him to take carnatic music was greatly influenced by GNB.

5. He quoted an interesting quote by Semmangudi "Naan puthu 100 rubAy kannala parthathey GNB moolama thaan(Semmangudi recollects that only because of Shri GNB he saw a crisp 100 ruppee note)"

6. Shri GNB was in such demand that once when he tried to book him for a concert in Andhra in the month of February , Shri GNB was booked for 23 days.

7. GNB swara kalpanam was fantastic ,He gave an example of how in the popular Siva Siva EnaRAda , most of them would sing in a set pattern . GNB connected the swara pattern as GaRISaDA, RISaDA, SaDASiva Siva Enarada , where he connected SadaSiva (God Paramasivam) and interestingly the popular Bhavayami Raghuramam in SAveri was just famous then , and there is a popular
swaram pattern GaRiSaDA, RiSaDA,SaDA

THe speech was cut short as the concert of Trichur Ramachandran followed.

bala747

Post by bala747 »

My family are all hardcore fans of GNB and any criticism of his singing is usually met with a response normally reserved for bank robbers or arsonists.

My granduncle (whom I have mentioned a few times) simply worships GNB and with my late grandfather could recall EVERY concert he had in Bombay (some were at the Gandhi maidan in Chembur and other locations), who was in the audience, what were the compositions sung, what was the reaction of the audience, did the accompanists say anything interesting during or after the concert...

I personally am not a big GNB fan so I would love taking the mickey out of my aged relatives by commenting on his occasional sruthi lapses.

But one thing I admired about his music was his staying power. His RTPs which I have heard (about 10-20 of them) never seem to go below 80 minutes (without thani). Assuming a 5/8-3/8 relationship between vocalist and violinist (GNB always seems to have allowed the violinist a complete free rein on what he wants to play when it was his turn) that is still a good 50 minutes on one ragam. His alapanas on ragas like Thodi in the RTP would cumulatively be over 30minutes long in some cases. Pretty amazing stuff for a man who had suffered two heart attacks and was singing day in day out. He was amongst the last of the elaborate RTP singers.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

- Duplicate post deleted -

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

To recap the GNB compositions discussed so far on this thread, by singer of the audioclips posted.

MLV =ML Vasantakumari, TVR = Trisoor V Ramachandran, SKR = S Kalyanaraman, TVSub = TV Subramaniam
No Starting words rAga tALa Singer
1 ambOruhapAdamE (varNam) ra~njani Adi MLV
2 kamalAsani sundari (varNam) gAvati Adi TVK
3 mangaLavaradAyaki kathanakutUhalam Adi MLV
4 karimukhavaradA nATTa Adi SKR
5 muddu kr.shNA kathanakutUhalam mishracApu SKR
6 entA ninnu candrahasitam Adi TVR
7 eppuDu nI kr.pa bhairavi mishracApu TVK
8 maRivEregati nAkevaru maLavi Adi SKR
9 manamirangAdA? ravicandrikA Adi TVK
10 mAnavakula bhUshaNa hindOLam Adi TVK
11 santatamu ninnE valaji Adi SKR
12 parAmukhamElarA kAnaDA Adi MLV
13 kavalaiyellAm sarasvati Adi TVK & SKR
14 mamakulEshvaram tODi tishra Eka - do -
15 sudhA mAdhUrya bhAshiNi vandanadhAriNi Adi TVSub
16 (shlOkA) sindhu bhairavi SKR
17 kAraNamEmi kAnanE AnDhOLikA rUpakam SKR
18 ninnuipogaDa taramA kuntalavarALi Adi SKR
19 pAdabhajana kamAs SKR
20a en manattAmarai mEl rItigauLa Adi SKR
20b - do - - do - - do - TVR
21 bAramA? I bAluni brOva? hamsanAdam Adi SKR
22 daSha ShatadaLa hamsanAdam Adi TVR
23 maRavanunE ninnu Arabhi Adi TKR
24 bhuvanatraya sammOhanakara mOhanam Adi SKR
25 padamalariNaiyE bEgaDa rUpakam TVR
26 kamalacaraNE amr.ta bEhAg Adi SKR
27 pAdabhajana sadAnandamE kamAs Adi SKR
28 maRavavanunE Arabhi Adi TVR

There are only 3 albums of GNB compositions, namely Guru Vandanam (HMV - MLV), Stars of a Stalwart (Inreco-Sudha) and Guru Kripa (Sangeetha-TVR).

Some kritis featured in recordings (as far as I can remember) is listed below:

kavalaiyellAm (sarasvati-Adi) HMV - Vocal Bhushany Kalyanaraman
karimukha varadA (nATTa-Adi) Inreco -2771C515 S. Gayathri
kamala caraNE (amr.ta bEhAg-Adi) Sangeetha - Vocal Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam
tAmasamikatALanu (AbhOgi-Adi) HMV/Koel - Devi Krithis Shanmukhapriya & Haripriya (Priya Sisters)

sAmagAnalOlE (hindOLam - rUpakam) HMV - Vocal - do -
- do - Amudham -Kana Vendamo Aruna Sairam
- do - Githaa - Live Concert M.L. Vasanthakumari
ninnu pogaDa taramA (kuntaLavarALi - Adi) HMV Shankaran Nambudiri
marivERe gatinAkevaru (mALavi-Adi) HMV - Live Vocal DKP & DKJ
mangaLavaradAyaki (k-kutUhalam - Adi) Vocals Raaga Foundation Charumathi & Subhasree Ramachandran
nI yallAl ini Sangeetha - Devi Krithis Sulocana Pattabhiraman & Party
ranjani niranjani (ranjani - Adi) Inreco - Popular Devi Krithis Bombay S Jayashri
- do - Manorama Music - Devi Priya - KS Chitra
nIsamAnamevaru (Shubha pantuvarALi -Adi) - do - - do -
sudhA mAdhUrya bhAshaNi (vandanadhAriNi) Inreco - Devi krithis S Nithyasree
nIpAdamEgati(naLinakAnti-Adi) Sangeetha -Vocal - Sudha Ragunathan
tillAnA (hamsAnandi - Adi) AVM - Devi Krithis Sudha Ragunathan

coolkarniji, what a great exposure you have afforded of the late SKR's music. Thank you and I hope this will continue with the remaining compositions with pieces like nIcaraNAmbuja(kIrvANi)and mahAdEva (ranjani).

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika
I have got the hint 8) 8)

will pick up from where we left off , in a weeks time.
Right now working on some great srirangam gopalratnam tracks.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Right now working on some great srirangam gopalratnam tracks.
wow! :)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika

can you(or someone else) please post a list of krithis not covered yet with clips.
That would help me a great deal in this concluding exercise ..

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

kmrasika, Sudha Madhurya (Vandanadharini) is in the Devi Krithis Album by Sudha Ragunathan, NOT Nithyasree. It's also an Amutham album.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Can someone repost parAmukhamElarA kAnaDA Adi MLV & manamirangAdA? ravicandrikA Adi TVK please?

Also, some krithis that don't have audio clips...(i've missed some)

Mahadeva manoranjani-Ranjani-Rupaka
Gati verevaramma kamakshyamma-Bhairavi-Chapu
Inta paraku nive jesite endu bodune-Bhairavi-Adi
Kanavilum kamala kazhalinai tanaiye-Shriranjani-Adi
Manasu rada mayamma-Samakadambari-Adi
Manava kula bhushana-Hindola-M/Jhampa
Manavati nannu sada-Todi-Rupaka
Ni allal ini yarennai karpar nidam uraikka-Kanada-Adi
Paritapamu leka patita napai parihasa-Shanmukhapriya-Adi
Porumaiyai izhanden bhuvaneshvariye-Simhendramadhyam-Adi
Sada palaya sarasakshi samana rahita-Mohana-
Sakala kala vani sakala loka karani (tv)-Hindola-Adi
Shivananda kamavardhini shive pahi-Kamavardhini
Sujana manasa hamsanantini-Hamsanandi-Adi
Tamasamika talanu tapatraya shamani-Abhogi-Rupaka
Taramu gadamma daya-Purvikalyani-Adi
Tillana (dhim tadhim tanana dhirana)-Hamsanandi-Adi
Tom tana tadhira (t) Hamsanandi-Adi
Varada nipuna nalina charane natajana-Purnachandrika-Adi
Vinuta palini gada vega-Shivashakti-Adi

ramanathan

Post by ramanathan »

There are only 3 albums of GNB compositions, namely Guru Vandanam...
There is a live concert recording of Trichur V. Ramachandran from the Sahityanubhava festival 2004, released by Carnatica, consisting exclusively of GNB compositions. More information:

http://carnatica.net/shoppingarcade/Prd ... .php?id=47[/quote]

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks ramanathan for the info!

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

kmrasika

can you(or someone else) please post a list of krithis not covered yet with clips.
That would help me a great deal in this concluding exercise ..
I've incorporated the ones in vocalist's list:

varNams:
1. sarasijAkshi - varAli - Adi
2. sakalakalA - hindOlam - Adi
3. karuniMci - yadukulakhAmbhOji - aTa
4. kuvalayAkshi - kathanakuthUhalam - Adi

kritis:

1. nI valayiMcE - chhAyA ra~njani - Adi
2.Sharatcandra - vInAdhari - rUpakam
3. aTakalEni - varALi - Adi
4. mAnavati - tODi - rUpakam
5. ingkEvaru - Shubha pantuvarAli - Adi
6. sarasijAkshi - mArgahindOla - Adi
7. sadA ninnE - naTabhairavi - rUpakam
8. sujanamAnsa - hamsAnandi - Adi
9. daramukAdammA - pUrvikalyAni - Adi
10. mAhAdEva manOra~njani - ra~njani - rUpakam
11. mahAtripurasundari - khAmbhOji - khaNDa tripuTa
12. vinuta pAlini - ShivaShakti - rUpakam
13. manasurAdhA - sAmakAdambari - Adi
14. ninnuvinA - rItigauLa - Adi
15. varavallabha ramaNA - hamsadhvani - Adi
16. ShrIcakrarAja nilayE - ShivaShakti - Adi
17. indaparAku - bhairavi - Adi
18. paritApamulEka - shaNmukhapriya - Adi
19. vadarEramma - sAvEri - Adi
20. manasAraga - AbhOgi - Adi
21. madhurApuri kalyAni - pUUrvikalyANi - miShracAPu
22. endO moRalanu - kannaDa - rUpakam
23. nAmoRalanu - nArAyaNi - rUpakam
24. samAnarahitE - sAranga tarangiNi - Adi
25. karuNa jUDarAdA - sahAnA -Adi
26. varada nipuNa - pUrNacandrikA - Adi (tiShragati)
27. niravadhi sukhadAyaki - malayamArutam - rUpakam
28. nannubrOva - She~njukhAmbhOji - Adi
29. kanavilum kamalakazhalinai - ShrI ra~njani - Adi
30. sarasvati namOstutE - sarasvati - rUpakam
31. niratamugA ninne - Shuddha dhanyAsi - Adi
32. nI caraNAmbujamunu - kIrvANi - Adi
33. sadA pALaya - mOhanam - Adi
34. ninnu vinA vERevaru? - mALavi - rUpakam
35. ShivAnanda kAmavardhani - miShracApu
36. maRavanunE ninnu - Arabhi - Adi
37. nIyallAini - kAnaDA - Adi
38. nAgabhayavaramosagi - nATTa kura~nji - rUpakam
39. Shankara mahAdEva - dEvamanOhari - Adi
40. mArakOTi sundari - bahudAri - Adi
41. nIsamAnamevaru? - ShubhapantuvarALi - Adi
42. porumaiyai izhandEn - simhEndra madhyamam -Adi
43. kamalAsani sundari - kalyANi - rUpakam
44. tAmasamika tALanu - AbhOgi - rUpakam
45. gativERevarammA? - bhairavi - miShracApu
46. tillAnA - hamsAnandi - Adi

Left out popular pieces like unnaDiyE and nI daya galgunO (rasikapriyA has it).
nIpAdamegati as rendered by GNB's disciples, rAdhA & jayalakshmi, is available: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/cgi-bin/g ... mp3&loc=rj

GNB seems to have adopted the mudra "nAdarUpasundari" his ishTa dEvatA, as well as occasional rAga mudrA (i.e. "kAmavardhani" "dEvamanOhari").
Lets continue to discuss his masterpieces.

Vocalist: I may have messed up the name of the Nithyasree album, as there are two albums by Magnasound in the first of which is rendered by her and has the vandanadhArini piece (replete w/ her wonderful smooth-flowing brigAs). I think the album title goes something like, "Devi Kadambam" or something like it. I thought it strange you didn't know this considering the fact your profound concern about copyrighted clips being posted on the this bulletin board. ;)

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika
thank you.Shall keep working on it.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

kmrasika

Here we go ..

the ones uploaded now will be in bold letters in the final list
could get only half of the krithis from the final list ,though :oops:
http://rapidshare.de/files/25599402/25- ... n.mp3.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/25599981/53- ... n.mp3.html

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Thanks a lot, Coolji..

Nee Charanambuja is Keeravani.

Srivathsan

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

thanks for the correction...

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

coolkarni Sir:

WOW. Didn't expect the flurry of tracks all in one post :-). I guess you could take a break from this thread for at least a fortnight until we get to discuss the krithis.

Now, on ShrIcakrarAja. What does "pEsha kalAdhari" refer to? I am also assuming the line that goes, "kOshAntara sthita pOshiNi" refers to dEvi being ensconsed in the five sheaths (panca kOshAs???) of the body???