Thyagaraja (Krithis)

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Could someone please post a list of commonly sung tyAgarAja compositions with chiTTaswarams? Sorry for this peculiar request.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Some which came to my mind ... The list is definitely not exhaustive

shObhillu saptaswara - jaganOhini
telisi rAmachintana - pUrna chandrika
niravadi sukhada - ravi chandrika
vara rAga layaj~Jullu tAmanusu - chenchu kAmbhOji
chinna nADena - kalAnidhi (?) not too sure
nenarunci nAnu - mALavi

-Ramakriya

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Nee padapankajamula-Begada. there is one chittaiswaram prevalent in Alatoor school(this is followed by sahitham as well.)The way I have learnt.

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

intakannAnanda mEmi - bilahari
EvasudhA nIvanti daivamu- sahAnA

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you ramakriya, balusatya and Anusha

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

Ninne bhajana - nattai
Bhajana seya raadha - Atana

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Samajavaragamana Hiindolam although may be very rare in Alatoor school alone.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Forgot to mention about a breezy Chittaswaram coming up in Naajeevadhara-Bilahari.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you annapoorne and balusatya

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

The ciTTasvarAs for the two jaganmOhini pieces were composed by kAraikkuDi vINA vidvAn sAmbasiva aiyyer.
sAkEta nikEtana has a brief ciTTasvara, so does sAramEgAni (pantuvarALi) and tsAlakallalADu (Arabhi). The late KVN Sir set a ciTTasvara for dArinitelusukoNTi (ShuddhasAvEri).

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks kmrasika

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the kRti 'evarurA ninu vinA' - rAga mOhanam, there is an epithet 'ApagESArcita'

In the books, this epithet has been translated as 'worshipped by Lord Siva'.

The name 'pancApakeSa' is common - this seems to indicate that Lord Siva at tiruvaiyAru - (praNatArti hara) is also called 'pancApagESa'.

There seems to be no reference for this in the Internet.
Can someone throw more light on this name and its connection to tirivaiyAru?

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I have had an inquiry from a rasika who wants to know the circumstances under which the kriti shrI raghuvara apramEya (kAmbhOji) was composed. Any information would be much appreciated.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

There is a general impression that Thyagaraja Kritis are properly rendered by persons who know Telugu. I am just listening (WS) to two gentlemen rendering the Kriti 'brOcEvArevarE' - Sri Ranjani.

The 8th caraNa is - bhavAbdhi taraNOpAyamu nErani tyAgarAjuni karambiDi (brOcEvArevarE)

The singers render the itilicised portion as taruNOpAyamu - whatever that might mean.
Last edited by vgvindan on 01 Feb 2008, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vgvindan wrote:The singers render the itilicised portion as taruNOpAyamu - whatever that might mean.
Maybe unconscious desire of the singers to regain their youth ? :D . Better to do so through CM than through the methods suggested in your "Spam Mail" folder.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

unconscious ?

Perhpas, sub-conscious !!

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Sam Swaminathan wrote:unconscious ?

Perhpas, sub-conscious !!
Yes, better word. VGV- On a more serious note, "tarunopayam" also could mean a "pleasant way out" or "easy way out" (of a difficulty) ... not sure whether that would fit well with the meaning of the line.

SR

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

vgvindan wrote:The name 'pancApakeSa' is common - this seems to indicate that Lord Siva at tiruvaiyAru - (praNatArti hara) is also called 'pancApagESa'.
My speculation - yes, ApakESa seems certainly a reference to Shiva since he has the river (Apa) flowing from his head (kESa).

Regarding the reference to Tiruvaiyar,isn't the Shaivism of the Kaveri delta modeled on the north Indian version in many ways ? I think in Kashmir shaivism that Shiva is considered as the lord of the five rivers (pancApa) - the region which is taken to be modern Punjab. The southern version of this is the "panchanadi" area in Tamil Nadu which has 5 rivers flowing through it, and of which Shiva is supposed to be the most important deity. I am sure Kaveri is one of the 5 rivers, not sure about the names of the others. Thus, "panchapakesa" or "panchanadisha" is an epithet of Shiva as worshipped in the Kaveri delta area.

SR

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

"tarunopayam" also could mean a "pleasant way out" or "easy way out" (of a difficulty) .
May be in a stand-alone situation.
But, here the context is 'bhavAbdhi' - 'Ocean of Worldly Existence' - and 'taraNa' - 'fording this Worldly Existence' is the main theme of Thyagaraja Kritis.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

, "panchapakesa" or "panchanadisha" is an epithet of Shiva as worshipped in the Kaveri delta area.
SR,
This needs further deliberation to arrive at a proper authority for this name being popular.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

mnsriram wrote:Could someone please post a list of commonly sung tyAgarAja compositions with chiTTaswarams? Sorry for this peculiar request.
Just heard "brOva bhArama" by DKJ with ciTTAswaras. Not sure how common this is.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~nagarajan/dkj/

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you Suji Ram

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I am sharing with the forum an interesting article in Hindu on different patantharam of the St composer. http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 050300.htm

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

In the Tamil Movie 'tiruviLaiyADal purANam', avvaiyar (KBS) sings -

SEsha who bears the Earth is contained in the ring finger of umA; (umaiyin viral mOdiram)
umA is contained in the Lord Siva; (umaiyO iRaivaruL aDakkam)
Siva is contained in the devotees; (iRaivanO toNDaruL oDukkam)
How to describe the greatness of devotees (toNDarin perumai sollavoNNumO)?

Sri Thyagaraja in the Kalyani kriti 'E varamadugudurA' (what boon shall I ask) among other statements, also states -

C5 SrI hari bharita Sara samUha sadA ninu hRd-
gEhamunanu kani dur-dAhamulanu rOsi
vivAhanuDu nIvanu mOhambunanu maraci
sOhamanu sukhamu vaidEhi pAlaiyuNDaga (E varamadugudurA)

"though sItA is married (vivAhanuDu) to You, she has rejected even the conjugal bliss (mOhambunanu maraci) in order to enjoy the bliss of being absorbed in You (sOhaM) and seeing You in her inner recess rather than outside"

Indeed, she is no longer the spouse of SrI rAma – but a devotee. Therefore, the place that SrI tyAgarAja accords to bhakti is so tall that it diminishes even the role of consort of the Lord.

Please view the complete kRti - http://sahityam.net/wiki/Evaramadugudura

PS : corrections to the film song welcome
Last edited by vgvindan on 31 Mar 2008, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

And here are couple of links for a bunch of Tyagaraja kritis on You tube

http://www.nme.com/video/search/thyagaraja

http://www.nme.com/video/search/tyagaraja

-Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Ramakriya. Nice youtube search site. With just the thyagaraja and MD results you posted, one can spend a lot of time exploring the various performances.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Kalpakam mami plays a chittai for brovabArama.. i dont know if they are the same though

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Does anyone know / have the list of songs of the opera Prahlada Bhakti Vijayam? Thanks.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Part I
(1) Invocation - kRti SrI gaNapatini - rAga saurAShtraM
(2) visit of dvAra pAla to the assembly - kRti - vAsudEvayani - rAga kalyANi
(3) The dvAra pAla questions the sUtradhAri (of drama); the sUtra dhAri explains about the purpose of drama.
(4) On questioning by sUtradhAri, dvArapAla tells that varuNa (Lord of Oceans) has ordered the town to be beautified for greeting prahlAda who has been saved by samudra rAja.
(5) visit of samudra rAja - kRti - sAgaruNDu veDalenu - rAga yamunA kalyANi
(6) samudra rAja calls on garuDa to release prahlAda from nAga pASa - kRti - vinatA suta rArA - husEni.
(7) Arrival of garuDa - kRti - vishNu vAhanuNDu - rAga SankarAbharaNam
(8) After being released from nAga pASa, prahlAda pays obeisance to samudra rAja. prahlAda requests samudra rAja to tell him the path by adopting which Lord hari would manifest Himself. - kRti - vAridhi nIku - rAga tODi.
(9) samudra rAja assures prahlAda that Lord hari would come if he prays to Him with total dedication - kRti vaccunu hari - rAga kalyANi.

Part II
(10) prahlAda prays to Lord hari - kRti - vandanamu raghunandana - rAga sahAna.
(11) As Lord does not manifest, prahlAda becomes sad - kRti - indukAyI tanuvunu - rAga punnAga varALi.
(12) Further prahlAda laments - kRti - eTla kanugondunO - rAga ghaNTA
(13) prahlAda hears the music of the vINa of sage nArada - prahlAda asks him to come before him - kRti - nijamaitE mundara - rAga bhairavi.
(14) Arrival of sage nArada - kRti - nArada muni veDalina - rAga kAmavardhini.
(15) After paying obeisance to sage nArada, prahlAda tells his anguish. The sage tells him about the conversation he heard at vaikuNTha and that the Lord is aware of his (prahlAda's) bhakti.
(16) Hearing the sweet words, prahlAda feels happy - kRti - ipuDaina nannu - rAga Arabhi.
(17) prahlAda wants to know the details of conversation between Lord hari and Mother lakshhmI. As the Lord explains the call of prahlAda, mother feels sad that the Lord leaves her frequently and she feels sad that the Lord might remain at bhUlOka and not come back. Thus sage nArada explains that the Lord is very eager to come to Earth.

Part III
(18) Hearing the nectarine words, prahlAda extols Lord - kRti - ennaga manasuku - rAga nIlAmbari.
(19) As the Lord does not manifest, prahlAda laments - kRti - ETi janmamidi - rAga varALi.
(20) Hearing the lamentation of prahlAda, Lord proceeds to Earth - kRti - entanucu varNintu - rAga saurAShTram - (sung by the commentator)
(21) Lord hari comes to Earth and embraces prahlAda - kRti - E nATi nOmu - rAga bhairavi. (prahlAda sings)

Part IV
(22) Lord hari asks prahlAda to ask for boons. - kRti - aDugu varamulu - rAga Arabhi (Lord sings).
(23) Hearing these words, prahlAda feels sad that the Lord is trying to cheat him by granting boons. He tells the Lord that he desires no such boons - kRti - vArija nayana - rAga kEdara gauLa.
(24) prahlAda explains what he wants - He want to be merged with the Lord for ever - kRti - tana lOnE - rAga dEva gAndhAri.
(25) As the Lord further tests prahlAda, prahlAda says that he is not ready to accept any such deceipts - kRti - O rAma rAma sarvOnnata - rAga nAga gAndhAri.
(26) As the Lord wants to leave, prahlAda pleads to Him - kRti - SrI rAma jaya rAma - rAga madhyamAvati.
(27) prahlAda sees Atma jyOti and extols Lord - kRti - sarasIruha nayana - rAga bilahari.
(28) prahlAda asks Lord to remain with him always; prahlAda explains how he will keep the Lord happy - kRti - vaddayuNDunadE - rAga varALi.
(29) The Lord seats prahlAda in his lap and asks what he wants and prahlAda explains further - kRti - tIrUnA nA lOni - rAga sAvEri.
(30) Lord further tests him - He says that he will grant him other boons which will make him famous. But prahlAda would have none of it. He wants only bhakti. kRti - rAmAbhirAma - rAga sAvEri.
(31) prahlAda prays to Lord further - kRti - daya rAni - rAga mOhanam.
(32) Lord wants to know from prahlAda what exactly he wants - kRti daya sEyavayya - rAga yadukula kAmbhOji (prahlAda sings).
(33) Lord bestows on prahlAda what he desired and also ciranjIvatva etc. prahlAda becomes happy - kRti - AnandamAnanda - rAga bhairavi.
(34) prahlAda extols Lord hari - kRti jaya mangaLam - rAga ghaNTA.

Part V
(35) Lord wants to take leave of prahlAda, but he would not leave Him - kRti - nannu viDaci - rAga rIti gauLa.
(36) Lord says that he will go to vaikuNTha, meet lakshmI and then come back. prahlAda suspects again some trick. He seeks promise from Lord that He would come back - kRti anduNDaganE - rAga kAmavardhini.
(37) As the Lord departs, prahlAda becomes worried - kRti - Emani vEgintunE - rAga husEni.
(38) Further lamentation of prahlAda - kRti - enta pApinaiti - rAga gauLipantu.
(39) prahlAda searches where the Lord could be. As he recollects the wording of the Lord 'madbhaktA: yatra gAyanti tatra tiShThAmi nArada'. Realising that the Lord is resident in the hearts of bhAgavatAs, he prays to Lord - kRti - O jagannAtha - rAga kEdAra gauLa.
(40) As the Lord did not turn up, he looks at each and every one whom he sees and asks them to convey to the Lord his anguish - kRti - celimi jalajAkshu - rAga yadukula kAmbhOji.
(41) Lord hari comes along with mother lakshmI - prahlAda extols the Lord - kRti - pAhi kalyANa rAma - rAga kApi.
(42) As the Lord embraces prahlAda, he calls the Lord to his house - kRti - rArA mAyiNTidAka - rAga asAvEri.
(43) In order to behold Lord talking to prahlAda, brahmA comes to Earth - kRti - kamala bhavuDu - rAga kalyANi. (sung by commentator)
(44) Indra follows brahmA - kRti dorakunAyani rAga tODi. (sung by commentator)
(45) prahlAda offered the sixteen-fold upacAra to the Lord - kRti callarE ramAcandruni paini - rAga Ahiri.
(46) As the drama concludes, the Sun rises - as if to watch the spectacle of Lord hari being worshipped by prahlAda - kRti - varamaina - rAga paraju.
(47) mangaLam - kRti - jaya mangaLam - rAga mOhanam.
(48) Conclusion - kRti - nI nAma rUpamulaku - rAga saurAShTram.

The dialogue of dance-drama has not yet been digitised. As soon as it is done, I shall let know all.
Last edited by vgvindan on 30 Apr 2008, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Thank you so much vgvindan for providing details as well. I am grateful.

arunk

Post by arunk »

thanks vgv. I have a question. Did tyAgarAja used bhakthi to Rama as a way to describe prahlada's bhakthi to Vishnu (of course both are the same but I hope you get my point)?

For example: "Lord wants to take leave of prahlAda, but he would not leave Him - kRti - nannu viDaci - rAga rIti gauLa" . The krithi refers explicitly to Rama (in many ways). Timeline wise Rama avatara was much later (?)

Interestingly, I have also heard that this krithi was sung by Thyagaraja after he got back the idol which was lost - so sort of "never leave me (again)". In fact I did not know it was part of prahlada bhakthi vijayam. In any case, how should prahlada bhakthi vijayam be interpreted to account for this?

Thanks
Arun

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

arun,
You are very right - there is no difference between prahlAda and tyAgarAja as also there is no difference between rAma and hari. In some kRtis of the dance-drama, it is tyAgarAja in the mould of prahlAda and in some, it is prahlAda in the mould of tyAgarAja.

[quote]It was in the course of his practice of Islam that the 19th Century contemplative Ramakrishna Paramahansa (1836-1886) had one of his remarkable visions: “I was meditating under the banyan tree when I was shown a Mussalman (a Muslim). He came to me with rice in an earthen plate. The Mother (Kali) showed me that there exists only One and not two. It is Satchidananda (Truth - Knowledge - Bliss - Absolute, Brahman) alone that has taken various forms; He alone has become the world and its living beings.â€
Last edited by vgvindan on 30 Apr 2008, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

kalalanErchina- Thyagaraja song in Raga Deepakam- In this song,there is a mention of SINGALI muni and a story associated with him. Can rasikas plese narrate this story please ? If required, SPIRITUAL HERITAGE Of Thyagaraja can be referred which gives english meaning of this song and has a reference to my question. Thanks in advance..

ragam-talam

Thyagaraja / Tyagaraja

Post by ragam-talam »

I couldn't find a thread on Tyagaraja here! It's possible it got stuck in the old version of the forum...

Anyway... it seems the saint's birthday falls on May 4th, rather than the popularly believed January date. See here:
http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit05132002/musicarts1.asp
"Though the annual Tyagaraja aradhana at Tiruvayyaru takes place typically in late January, scholars generally agree that he was born on 4 May 1767."

Belated birthday greetings to the great bard, the pride of Carnatic music. Vandanamu.

rajeshnat

Re: Thyagaraja / Tyagaraja

Post by rajeshnat »

RT,
There is already one ,it is here in this thread http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... &start=175 The title is Thyagaraja (Krithis).You can put your text there and we can lock or kill this thread.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rather than the popularly believed January date

It was never believed so.. Pushya bahula pancami in january is the day of his death.

thenpaanan

Post by thenpaanan »

keerthi wrote:Pushya bahula pancami in january is the day of his death.
And Tyagaraja having died a sanyAsi (renunciate) -- he took 'Apath sanyAsam" just before he died -- tradition dictates that a sanyAsi is remembered on the day of death (or "samAdhi") rather than the day of birth.

-Then Paanan

smala

Post by smala »

Samadhi Aradhana festival commemorates the Saint-Poet's attaining samadhi in early January...following a long tradition on the Thyagaraja Aradhana festival day, hundreds of Carnatic musicians seated in rows, pay homage to the Saint by rendering his ‘pancharathna kritis’ in chorus at his samadhi at Thiruvaiyaru.

Another highlight on the day is the Unchavruthi Bhajan.

Here is a 2010 Jan 5th 40 min video worth watching, a sniff of the local flavor....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envQMCNJiPg

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods can we merge this thread with the other thread. We dont need two thyagaraja threads.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Thyagaraja (Krithis)

Post by vasanthakokilam »

done

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Thanks for the correction.

A very interesting article: 'Fascinating work on Tyagaraja' -
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/09/25/stor ... 250600.htm

jayachAmarAja

Post by jayachAmarAja »

ragam-talam wrote:Thanks for the correction.

A very interesting article: 'Fascinating work on Tyagaraja' -
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/09/25/stor ... 250600.htm
>> Who Ramananda Yogigal? It’s quite a mystery. Was this a pen name? <snip> We do not know. <<

William Jackson's book says this was written by Tiruvottriyur S.A. Ramaswamy Iyer under a pseudonym. This is also mentioned in the article below:

http://www.hindu.com/ms/2006/12/01/stor ... 280500.htm

>> Treading the noble path of his guru, Tiruvotriyur S.A. Ramaswami Iyer, principle disciple of Krishnaswamy Bhagavatar, published in 1910, the first ever book of Tyagaraja's songs under the pseudonym Ramananda Yogi. <<

uscasdrs

Post by uscasdrs »

Sri. S.A.Ramaswamy Iyer is my great grandfather (father's mother's father).

My father posted a query about S.A.Ramaswamy Iyer in another thread in Rasikas.org (http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... sr#p158755), but so far there has been no follow-up.

I thank you for providing the two links to The Hindu articles.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

prof. Sambamoorthy acknowledges the information he got from Ramananda Yogi's notebooks; in his introduction to the Tirupati edition of the nauka caritram.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

A list of MP3 clips of Thyagaraja kritis:
http://charulathamani.com/music/carnati ... _music.php

A playlist of YouTube clips of Thyagaraja kritis with lyrics & meaning:
http://www.youtube.com/isaipayanam#p/c/0EC9B03AC0E44F6F

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Smt. P. Bhanumathi's rendition of Nagumomu Ganaleni in the 1964 movie Vivaha Bandham:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhwl_GlTo6E

prashanth12

Post by prashanth12 »

Thanks for that...very beautiful...

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

I was just revising the kRti 'graha balamEmi' of tyAgarAja. I had quoted therein the kRti of purandara dAsa 'sakala graha bala nInE' -
http://bhakthigeetha.blogspot.com/2009/ ... neene.html

Similar is 'kOLaru padigaM' of tiru-jnAna sambandar - one of the tamil four-some saints. http://www.visvacomplex.com/Clarificati ... hikam.html - and we circumambulate nava-grahas reciting kOLaRu padigaM - funny!

(btw in Tamil 'kuRaLai' also means 'kOL' - slander. This is what ANDAL sings 'tIk-kuRaLai-cendrOdOM', which has been given a wrong meaning by those who look for mischief. http://www.viruba.com/tamilwritings/00002.aspx - Tamil website)

In every sankalpa, we reiterate 'tithir-vishNuH, tathA vAraH, nakshatraM vishNur-Eva-ca, yOgas-ca, karaNam caiva, sarvaM vishNu mayaM jagat'. And then proceed to watch for rAhu kAla, yama gaNDa, etc etc even for our daily chores.

It is also significant that the famous depiction of MD shows nava graha in the background whereas he was a great SrI-vidyA upAsaka - I am not blaming the artist, but our appreciation of people what they are worth.

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

lakshmanji,
A viewer of my blog has commented - "Recently I heard this song "Navaneetha chora" in raga Navaroj said to be of Tyagaraja Swami. However, I could not see this krithi in your collection. Can you please look into this."
Is there any such kRti of tyAgarAja?