Composition&Works of Jagadgurus of Sringagiri Sharada Peetam

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara in ShaNmukhapriya

S || R , R , G | R , S D# N# | R , G M G | R , P M G |
| R , G M , | P M D P- S* | N , D P M- | P M G R S ||
| R R G R , G- M P D P | , M- P D D N N S* S* R*- |
| G* R* S* N D ,- R* S* N D | P ,- P M G R S ,

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

cmlover wrote:Thanks for the AcArya's dicourse!
???:rolleyes:

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

mahesh3 wrote:Wonderful renedition. I am uploading a speech by Sri Bharathi Tirtha MahAswAminAh, "The Glory of Vigneshwara".

http://rapidshare.de/files/31191206/Sri ... a.mp3.html
Thanks for the discourse!
:)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

There is one point I would like to draw attention to. Presntly SRngEri maTha is situated on the banks of tunge(tungA). But Adi SankarAcArya established the original maTha on the banks of tungbhadrA(after the tunga and bhadra join). Hence She is sung as "purastungabhadrAm" in the 2nd verse. More of this later.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:There is one point I would like to draw attention to. Presntly SRngEri maTha is situated on the banks of tunge(tungA). But Adi SankarAcArya established the original maTha on the banks of tungbhadrA(after the tunga and bhadra join). Hence She is sung as "purastungabhadrAm" in the 2nd verse. More of this later.
Where was this location?

But sometimes, these descriptions are not always accurate. Raghavendra is called 'tuMgA tIra virAja' although, in reality he is 'tungabhadrA tIra virAja' :)

-Ramakriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ramakriya wrote:Where was this location?
I dont know. Check this. you will find a lot more by googling.

http://sringerimutt.quickseek.com/
But sometimes, these descriptions are not always accurate.
Often Yes. But with Sankara, I doubt it very much. A verse that comes later also leads to this interpretation.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Here we go. Understandably at kUDali, where the confluence of tunga and bhadra occurs

http://sringeri.sharada.peetham.en.infovx.net/

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

"""

DrMrinalini wrote:

I only know of a shloka on Devi Sharadamba ('SharadAmba s'aradindu nibhAnana) composed by H.H Swami Chandrashekhara Bharathi who was one of the S'ankaracharyas at s'ringeri PeeTham. """

Here it is, an immaculate renedition by Dr. BMK.

http://www.rogepost.com/dn/hdkv/_-++%2812%29.mp3

dR. Shrikant, I would appreciate if you could break down the shlokhams and their meanings rendered here in due time, Thanks much.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 30 Aug 2006, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Verse 4
susImanta vENIm dRSA nirjitaiNIm |
ramat kIravANIm namat vajrapANIm |
sudhA mantharAsyAm mudAcintyavENIm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||4||

I relentlessly sing praise of SAradAmbe, my mother, Who has a neatly parted hair and braid; Whose eyes put black deer(female) to shame with their beauty, bashfulness and comely movement; Her Who enjoys the sweet prattle of the parrot she sports in her hand; Her Who is worshipped by indra(Who bears the vajrAyudha); Her with a beautiful (milky/ nectarine) face that bestows prosperity; Her Who is at the confluence of the rivers that grant salvation beyond imagination(surpass thought/imagination)[ outwardly that Her Whose tresses are to be happily reflected upon]. Of such a mother do I sing praise of.
sudhA can be split as su+dhA meaning bstowing/bestower of prosperity/goodness etc(su); sudhA can also be taken as one unit to mean nectar/milk. manthara has the meaning of butter as well as beautiful. Asya is face. So there can be various interpretations of "Her having a beautiful face with milky white complexion", "Her having a face with milky complexion and butter like softness(and hue)." And most appropriately "Her with a beautiful face that bestows prosperity"

mudAcintyavENIm

mudA- WIth pleasure/happiness; It can also be split as mu+da(dA). mu means salvation/ mukti. "da is that which bestows/grants". cintya- to be reflected upon/worth thinking; acintya- unimaginable. Here both cintya and acintya are possible, each leading to logical, reasonable and beautiful interpretations. vENI means braids, stream and particularly confluence of rivers.

There is another interpretation of dRSA nirjitaiNIM (Not mine). dRSA- by looks; nirjitaiH- won over; nI(NI) means leader;nI gets converted to NI as in agraNI. So the meaning will be "Her Who is a leader that conquers everyone by mere looks".

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Mahesh
Thanks for that very nice rendition of SLOka by BMK. Do you have the lyrics for the SLOka?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

just correcting the typo
susImantavENIm
sIman means the highest boundary or the extreme limit. su denotes excellence. The dhAtu 'vEN g~nAnacintAni' represents contemplation or meditation. Actually the word vENI is derived from vEN (^NIp pratyayam uNADi4.18).
Hence susImantavENIm would mean she who is the highest object of contemplation.
Again following on the lines of the final para of DRS
va iti shrI (auspiciousness) tasmin iti vE nIyatE (leads) iti vENI or she leads one to the bounds of auspiciousnes/riches.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks CML. Yes vEN does mean "to reflect/comtemplate/know".

This is the other verse I mentioned earlier about referring to the confluence of rivers. See my interpretation of mudAcintyavENIm.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Verse 5
suSAntAm sudEhAm dRgantE kacAntAm |
lasat sallatAngImanantAm acintyAm |
smarEt tApasaiH sangapUrvasthitAm tAm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||5|

I forever sing praise of my mother SAradAmbe Who is peaciful, with a beautiful body; Who has side-locks/curls of hair near the tail of her eyes; Who has shining and beautful/auspicious limbs; Eternal One Who is beyond human ken/contemplation; Who is contemplated upon by a group of ascetics standing in front of Her; Such a mother do I sing praise of.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Beautiful. Dear DRS, if possible please give the reason for your selection of rAgAs for each verse. Also, will you be posting a full version at the end?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks Sriram :)
It is very encouraging to have feedback and apreciation.

Full verison at the end- willl try.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mnsriram wrote:if possible please give the reason for your selection of rAgAs for each verse.
nATa for the first verse as it is a very bright rAga, a ghana rAga and will create the mood.

Shahana for the second verse as it gives karuNA rasa and fit "kaTAkShE dayArdrAm" beautifully. It is a rakti rAga and offers a great contrast to nATa.

ShaNmukhapriya, again a good contrast and a M2 rAga.

Anandabhairavi as it is apt to describe Her feminine beauty and grace which is what the verse 4 is about.

bhauLi, a ghana rAga, conveys the calm of dawn very nicely. It fits the SAnta bhAva of "suSAntAm" neatly.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Lovely!
I was wondering if you had the software to put these clips in order and make them into one piece...I can try in audacity, just by pasting them in sequence, but if I understand correctly, the conversion and reconversion which is an issue with audacity can damage audio quality.
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks Ravi
I was thinking of doing just that:- merging them all. I can try that on Goldwave. You try on audacity and we will see how they are before posting here.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Thanks Ravi
I was thinking of doing just that:- merging them all. I can try that on Goldwave. You try on audacity and we will see how they are before posting here.
Thanks DRS,
Do post it as MP3.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Wonderful. DrShrikant, my Dodamma is also enjoying your translations and reneditions. The verse 4 seemed to get fairly complicated, but u are handling them well. Bhauli was an inspired choice as well for verse 5, infact, each of the selections hitherto are excellent.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 01 Sep 2006, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thank you all

Verse 6
kurangE turangE mRgEndrE khagEndrE |
marAlE madEbhE mahOkShEdhirUDhAm |
mahatyAm navAmyAm sadA sAmarUpAm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||6||

I incessantly sing praise of my mother SAradAmbe Who rides the deer as durgA, the lion as cAmuNDESvari/kALi, on garuDa as lakShmi, on a swan as saraswati, on an elephant in rut as aindri and on a bull as mAhESvari; Who appears (and is worshipped) during the mahA navarAtri as a destroyer of sin/ in a tranquil form; Of that mothe rof mine do I sing praise.

Here SArade is celebrated as the Sakti of all Gods(saptamAtRkas etc(. There is a beautiful pun on the word "sAma"(sAman"). This has a meaning of "Destroying sin" as well as "tranquil/calm". So depending on how we look at it, for evil forces She is a destroyer and for the righteous, She is calm and benevolent.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I have set the above verse 6 to bEgaDe

Click here to to download bEgaDe- verse 6

I chose bEgaDe as it conveys the military spirit of the song very nicely.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji Ram
I have uploaded this verse in MP3 form for your benefit.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Very nice DRS. rAgA very well chosen just like in the other verses. Not sure why but I was guessing you would tune this in kEdAragowLa :)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Hmm. Why were you going for kEdAragauLa? It would be interesting to know. Please share.
Maybe you have sussed out that I have a weakness for this rAga :)

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Not really sure to be honest. I am not even sure if kEdAragowLa fits along with the other rAgAs you selected but I was trying to guess the next one this afternoon and it took me into kEdAragowLa.
drshrikaanth wrote:Maybe you have sussed out that I have a weakness for this rAga :)
In that case, you must have definitely composed in this rAgA. This is one of my favourite rAgAs. Please do post any compositions of yours in this rAgA at your convenience. If you prefer to post after the rAmAyaNa discussion (in your thread), that is fine.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mnsriram wrote:In that case, you must have definitely composed in this rAgA. This is one of my favourite rAgAs. Please do post any compositions of yours in this rAgA at your convenience. If you prefer to post after the rAmAyaNa discussion (in your thread), that is fine.
I have already posted in this rAga- "dora rAmESvaru". It was one of the early ones. Do you have it?

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

No. Sorry, I think I missed this one. Would you mind posting again please?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

mnsriram wrote:Would you mind posting again please?
Not at all. Here we go.

http://rapidshare.de/files/31631038/dor ... kaanth.wma

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you very much.

Could you post the ciTTaswarAs for verses 4,5 and 6 - Anandabhairavi, bhouLi and bEgaDa whenever you can please?

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

MN Sriram, I guessed SahanA correctly so far. Interesting that you mention KedAragowlA...in fact, all of the ragams DrShrikant has composed in are my favorite ragams. I will wait, it is a nice game waiting for each verse to unfold in a new ragam.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara- Anandabhairavi

S || M , G , R | N#~ , S G R | G~ , M P , | G M G R S |
| N# S G G M | P , D P S* | N , D P M- | M~ , G R S ||
|N# S G R G~,- M P D P | S* ,- N S* G* R* G*~ ,- M* , |
| , G* R* S*- S* ; N D P | P ; M G R S ,-

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara in bhauLi

S || R , R , G- | P , P , D- | G , P D P- | G P G R S- |
| D# S P# D# S_ | R G P , D- | S* , N D ,- | D P G R S ||
| R R G G P ,- G G P P | D ,- P P D D S* ,- R* R* |
| ,- S* S* ,- D D ,- P P , | G G ,- R R ,-S ,-

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank DRS.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

mahesh3 wrote:MN Sriram, I guessed SahanA correctly so far. Interesting that you mention KedAragowlA...in fact, all of the ragams DrShrikant has composed in are my favorite ragams. I will wait, it is a nice game waiting for each verse to unfold in a new ragam.
I think one verse a day was a very good idea. It is making this all the more interesting :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

drshrikaanth wrote:Suji Ram
I have uploaded this verse in MP3 form for your benefit.
Thanks DRS

prashant

Post by prashant »

Back on the forum after a few days, and see that DRS's excellent tuning continues. The bEgaDA is excellent.

Would appreciate a translation of the shlOka posted by Mahesh at the outset of this thread:
The first shlokham is a description of the Sringeri Peetham and the Gods/Goddesses worshipped by Shankara BhagavatpAda:

Rathnagarbha GanesAnam Chandramoulincha ShAradha
Vandhe Jagadhgurum SarvAm ShAradhapeetha Susthitha
Rishyashringa PurAdheesham TungAteera NivAsinam
BhakthA Modapradham Vande Shri VidyAteertham Mahagurum

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Could someone do the translation of this SLOka while I continue with the bhujanga? ramakriya/cml?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara in bEgaDe

S || G ; ; | R ; ; | S , N# D# P# | R , S G R |
| G , M~ , P- | D P N , D- | P , D M~ , | G R S G R |
| M~ , G- P , M- D P- S* , | N- R* , S* G* R* G*- M*~,M*~ |
| , G* R* S*- N , N~ , D P | D- M , M~ , G R S-

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Im re-posting verse number 7 for the sake of continuity.

jvalatkAntivahnIm jaganmOhanAngIm |
bhajE mAnasAmbhOja subhrAnta bhRngIm |
nijastOtra sangIta nRtyaprabhAngIm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||7||

I perpetually sing praise of that Mother SArade Whose resplendence is like that of fire; Who enchants the whole universe; Who is the bee that keeps encircling and drinking from the lotus of Her devotees' heart; Whose has an aura of splendour is produced by music, dance and prayers in praise of Her; Ever I pray to that Mother SArade.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I have tuned the 7th verse in aThANa.

Click here for SAradAbhujanga- 7- aThANa

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear DRS, so nicely tuned and rendered. The ciTTaswam is excellent.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thanks Sriram. Here it is.

ciTTeswara in aThANa
N || P , P M P- | N D D N P- | M P M R ,- | M P G , M- |
| R , M R S- | M R- P M- N | P- S* N- R* S* | D , N P M ||
| R M R M P ,- M P N D | N ,- P N P R* S* ,- G* M* |
| R* S*- D ; D , N P M |- R ; R , M R S-

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Why aThANa?
One of my favorite rAgas BTW...

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

With aThANa, the quick take off helps bring out "jvalatkAnti". The brightness and spirit of a flame is portrayed well by the rAga movement. And aThANa has a delightful mOhaka character