Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Carnatic Musicians
sairaam

Re: Shri Mandolin U Shrinivas passes away

Post by sairaam »

When i took that video about Harishankar sir, there was no hint of ill-health in Srinivas.. Now when i see this video i cannot control my emotions as every word he speaks about HS matches with his own self.. Just replace 'Harishankar and Kanjira' with 'Srinivas and Mandolin' - the interview would be perfect and unfortunately so towards the end of it as well :( ..

He was one of the very few musicians who readily agreed to give an interview.. And his humility towards even a lay rasika like me was astounding..

Cannot believe i am forced to write in past tense about him... Such a cruel thing death is..

As he says in the video - ''He may have died early, but his music will live on forever.. Kadavul sila pera sila vishayathukkaga padachirupar. Mandolinkaga padikapattavar Mandolin U Srinivas''

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I was saddened by the news of young Mandolin Srinivas's untimely death. What a sad end to a brilliant career! He made millions of rasikas happy with his music. It is a big loss to CM. Sympathies to family and rasikas.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

parivadini wrote:We were supposed to release this as part of the documentary on Legendary Harishankar. It is our misfortune that we are posting this as a tribute to U.Shrinivas. Every words Shrinivas says drips with his trademark humility. You can replace "khanjira" with Mandolin and "Harishankar" with "Shrinivas" and the video would totally make sense.
This one really hurts. Pretty much the same gloom now as it was for me, when Harishankar passed away shortly after the 2001 season.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I was stunned to know of the passing of the maestro yesterday. I was sold on his music since I was a kid after I heard a cassette recording of his. It was particularly painful as my violin master was one of his main accompanists. He was a phenomenon and I am still fresh with the memory of his MA concert last December where I could see him up close sitting next to the stage -- it was a magnificent performance. Little did I know then how things would unfold. R.I.P.

He was ailing for quite some time and now it appears his condition was more serious than what was assumed - he was also facing kidney failure. In the end, it was not a failed surgery itself, but secondary complications that snatched him away.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/ ... 440283.ece

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong »

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

PRESIDENT OF INDIA CONDOLES THE PASSING AWAY OF UPPALAPU SRINIVAS

The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee has condoled the passing away of renowned mandolin player, Shri Uppalapu Srinivas.

In his condolence message to his brother, Shri U. Rajesh, the President has said, “I am extremely saddened to learn about the untimely passing away of your brother, Shri Uppalapu Srinivas.

A child prodigy who went on to become a doyen of Carnatic music, Shri Srinivas was an accomplished musician who enthralled audiences with his performances in India and abroad. For his exemplary contribution to Indian classical music, he was honoured with the Padma Shri in 1998. In his passing away, the nation has lost a renowned artiste who played the mandolin with magical touch.

Please convey my heartfelt condolences to all members of your family. I pray to the Almighty to give you and your family the strength and courage to bear this irreparable loss”.

venkatakailasam

Mandolin Srinivas will always be remembered, Modi says..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 902048.cms

Shri. TM Krishna says: I usually never reply to these messages but here I have to. I request everyone to stop imagining these convenient reasons. I understand that Shrinivas was suffering from Sickle Cell anemia and it was complications arising from that which caused the failure of his liver. It does help if we don't presume reasons... in fact its just not done..

As posted by him in FB...

The musician who never spoke but we all listened to - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... n020S.dpuf

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

TNR, Mali and now Shrinivas. The three geniuses may be exchanging notes in their heavenly abode.

aaaaabbbbb

Post by aaaaabbbbb »

May his soul rest in peace.

He has merged in Nadabrahma.

suma

Post by suma »

It appears that through him God wanted to introduce Mandolin to Carnatic Music. Heart felt condolenses to all. Rest in Peace!

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

I had information about his ill health. When the Great Maestro was struggling to manage the liver transplantation, the lung infection took him away.
We have lost one more GM, who was on the threshold of offering much more. Health is wealth. The technical mastery and aesthetics of this GM, is immortal.
Besides high and unique quality in his manodharama sangita, the patent shy smile enlivening the creative moments of his own and accompaniments, will be etched in memory, for ever.

munirao2001

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

இரண்டு நாட்களாய் ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ் என் வாழ்வை நிறைத்த கணங்கள் மனம் முழுதும் அலையடித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கின்றன. ஒரே ஒரு கச்சேரி மட்டும் மீண்டும் மீண்டும் வந்து போய்க் கொண்டிருக்கிறது.

ஸ்டேஜ் டிக்கெட் வாங்கி ஸ்ரீநிவாஸுக்கு மிக அருகில் அமர்ந்து கொண்டு கேட்ட கச்சேரி. பிரதானமாய் வகுளாபரண ராகத்தை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு ஆலாபனை. மத்ய ஸ்தாயியில் ஆரம்பித்து ஸ்வரம் ஸ்வரமாய் ராகத்தை வளர்த்து, தார ஸ்தாயியில் புயல் போல் மையம் கொண்டு மின்னல் சஞ்சாரங்களை மேலும் கீழுமாய் உதிர்த்து மீண்டும் ஒரு முறை மந்தர ஸ்தாயிக்கு வந்ததும் இப்போது முடிந்துவிடும் ஆலாபனை என்று நினைக்கையில் மந்த்ர ஸ்தாயி விஸ்ரூபமாய் தன்னைக் காட்டிக் கொள்ள முடிவெடுத்தது. ஸ்ரீநிவாஸ் கருவியானார், மாண்டலின் அக்கருவியின் ஓர் அங்கமானது. கையும் கருவியும் ஒன்றரக் கலந்தன. அதிகமில்லை இரண்டு மூன்று நிமிடங்களில் வாத்யத்தின் எல்லைக்குத் தள்ளப்பட்டது அந்த இடக் கரம். இனி செல்ல இடமில்லை என்ற நிலையிலும் மந்த்ர ஸ்தாயியின் பவனி முடிந்தபாடில்லை. இன்னும் இன்னும் என்று அந்தக் கரங்களை எக்கித் தள்ளின ராக சஞ்சாரங்கள்.

ஸ்ரீனிவாஸின் வலக் கரம் பிரடைக்குச் சென்றது. துல்லியமாய் ஸ்ருதி சேர்க்க மட்டும் பிரடையைத் தீண்டும் கரம் இன்று தந்தியின் இறுக்கத்தை தளர்த்தத் துவங்கியது. பிரடையை எவ்வளவு திருகினால் தந்தி எவ்வளவு தளரும், அந்தத் தளர்ந்த நிலையின் எந்த எடத்தில் என்ன ஸ்வரம் பேசும் என்று ஒருவனுக்குத் தெரிந்திருக்க முடியுமா? ஸ்ரீநிவாஸாகவே இருக்கட்டுமே!

பல்லாயிர மணி நெர உழைப்பில் கிட்டும் கனியா? அல்லது பல்லாயிர ஜென்ம பூர்வ புண்ணிய பலனா? யாருக்குத் தெரியும்?
பளிச்சென்று கண்கூசி மறையும் அமானுஷ்யக் கீற்று!
தளர்ந்த அந்தத் தந்தியில் இன்னும் இரண்டு மூன்று சஞ்சாரங்கள் வாசித்ததும் ராகத்துக்கு முழுமையாய் வெளிப்பட்டுவிட்ட திருப்தி ஏற்பட்டிருக்க வேண்டும். ஸ்ரீனிவாஸில் விரல்கள் ராகத்தை ஷட்ஜத்துக்கு நகர்த்தி ஆலாபனையை நிறைவு செய்தன. குறைந்த பட்சம் தம்புராவைத் தொட்டாவது பர்த்தவர்களுக்கு அன்று நடந்த விஷயத்தின் வீச்சு கொஞ்சமாவது புரியக் கூடும்.

தான் என்ன செய்தோம் என்பதை ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ் உணர்ந்திருப்பாரா? எத்தனையோ கச்சேரிகள் நேரில் கேட்டிருந்த போதும் இது போன்ற நிகழ்வை வேறெப்போதும் நான் கண்டதில்லை, ஒரு வேளை இது என் அதீத கற்பனையொ என்று கூட நினைத்துக் கொள்வதுண்டு. அப்போதெல்லாம் என்னருகில் அமர்ந்தபடி “டேய்!” என்று வாயடைத்த நண்பன் வத்ஸனின் கையை கெட்டியாக நான் பிடித்தது கனவில்லைதானே என்று வத்ஸனுக்குத் தொலைபேசி உறுதிப் படுத்திக் கொள்வேன். மேடையில் வெகு அருகில் இருந்தவர்களுக்கு மட்டுமே புரிந்திருக்கக் கூடிய அந்தக் காட்சியை ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ் நினைத்திருந்தால் விஸ்தாரமான நாடகமாக்கி அரங்கமே அறிய செய்திருக்க முடியும். அந்தக் பிரக்ஞையெல்லாம் இருந்தால் அவன் அவதார புருஷனாக முடியுமா என்ன?

ஸ்ரீனிவாஸை என் போன்ற ரசிகர்கள் எங்களுக்கானவனாய், எங்கள் வீட்டில் ஒரு ஆளாய், பிரத்யேகமாய் எங்களுக்கே வாசிப்பவனாய் நினைத்ததில் ஆச்சரியமில்லை. எந்த ஒரு படைப்பும் உருவாக்கும் மாயத் தொற்றம் அது. பெரும்பாலான சமயங்களில் படைப்புக்குரியவனை நேருக்கு நேர் சந்திக்கும் போது அந்த மாய பிம்பம் வெடித்துச் சிதறிவிடும். ஸ்ரீனிவாஸுடன் எதேச்சையாய் நிகழ்ந்த ஒரு சில சம்பாஷணைகளில் ”நம்ப ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ்” என்கிற எண்ணம் இன்னும் இறுகித்தான் போனது. நேற்று ஒரு அம்மா எழுதியிருந்தார், “என் மகனை இழந்தது போல இருக்கிறது”, என்று. எத்தனை உண்மையான உணர்வு!

அவன் ராக அலையெழுப்பி மேலே சென்ற போது நானும் சென்றேன். அவன் ராகக் கடலில் மூழ்கி முத்தெடுத்த போது அது எனக்கே கிடைத்த முத்தாய் கூத்தாடினேன். பிரமாதமாய் ஒரு சங்கதி வாசித்து முடித்து தலை எழுப்பி அவன் சிரித்த போது அது எனக்கும் அவனுக்கும் நிகழ்ந்த சங்கேத சம்பாஷணையாய் நினைத்துக் கொண்டேன். வாகதீஸ்வரி, வனஸ்பதி, விஜயஸ்ரீ, வீரவசந்தம், வந்தனதாரிணி, வர்தினி, சூர்யகாந்தம், பிந்துமாலினி, ஸ்ருதிரஞ்சனி, ஊர்மிகா என்று எததனை எத்தனை அறிமுகங்கள் ஏற்படுத்திக் கொண்டுத்த நண்பன் அவன். காதில் மாட்டிய ஹெட்ஃபோனில் அவன் ஒலிக்க எத்தனை மணி நேர நடை பயணங்களில் துணையாய், வழியாய் நின்றவன். இன்னும் எத்தனையோ பயணங்களை அவன் அழைத்துப் போக தயாராய்தான் இருந்தான். சென்ற மாதம் கூட இரண்டு தெரு தள்ளியிருக்கும் உன்னதியில் கோகுலாஷ்டமிக்கு வாசித்துப் பொயிருக்கிறான். “எங்கப்பா போயிடப் போற நீ? மத்த வேலையும் கொஞ்சம் பார்க்க வேண்டாமா? அடுத்த தடவைக்கு வந்துடறேன்”, என்று எனக்குள்ளே சொல்லிக் கொண்ட நான் தான் எவ்வளவு மடையன்?

இப்போது இறுதிப் பயணத்தில் பறந்தேவிட்டான். இனி கத்தினால் வருவானா? கதறினால் கிடைப்பானா?

அவன் போனாலும் அவன் இசை வாழும் என்கின்றனர். அவன் இசையை நீங்கள் வைத்துக் கொள்ளுங்கள் எனக்கு அவனைத் திருப்பிக் கொடுத்துவிடுங்கள். இந்த ஜென்மத்துக்கு அது போதும்.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gamakam,
How I wish all forumites could read tamizh!

Your feelings and the expression of them in poignant words bring the darling child of CM alive (how I wish that it all were really a dream--his being no longer with us)...

The tragedy of it is that he wasn't just a brilliant musician alone. That smile which everyone seems to be touched by, was not just a smile, a stage appearance accoutrement. It was the joy he felt living with his music, which he could share with so many others.

Artistes are supposed to be rediscovering themselves if they really invest their talents in their art, as they journey along with their music. With Srinivas, I'm not sure whether that was just it. It was his joy in rediscovering the magic of music he had till then, in his own thinking, hadn't discovered until that moment. That's why that child-like smile bloomed in his face, and we were all touched by it.

Again, how I wish every rasikA can read tamizh! Your beautiful writing brings out Srinivas's art and his being. You are capable of translating it, perhaps. I can try it, but will surely fail! The reason for that is the unique way in which you have written it and the grandeur of tamizh mozhi. The beauty and truth in your writing cannot be brought out in any other language, it seems.

Thanks again, for a heartfelt tribute to Srinivas, the prince of the mandolin who found a unique place in our hearts...

Another thought. A sobering one. When as rasikAs we get carried away with the performers' kuRaigaL (their not being up to the mark) and take their niRaivugaL (positive qualities) for granted, when we forget that they do have cares of their own outside of their musical life, we only have to pause a moment and think--do they sing/play for us only as musicians, totally shedding their every day cares and responsibilities?

So long as they are professional, bringing to the concert platform that required seriousness to share fully of their musical experience, should we not be mindful of our getting highly critical of their occasional slips?

Gamakam (lalitharam), thanks again for expressing the feelings of countless rasikAs in a touching way...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I loved the conclusion! Very powerful writing...

venkatakailasam

Shri. Lalitharam Ramachandran has only this to say -" I heard it live sir. I dint record the concert."...unfortunate...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote:Gamakam,
How I wish all forumites could read tamizh! ...
Hmmm, I'm sure I know an expert Tamil/English translator and in-her-own-writer. Who could it be!

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Gamakam,

Superb tribute. PS Narayanaswamy remarked, right from a very young age, his performance quality was of a high caliber vidwan.

There is some intangible aspect of his music that seems to tug the heart. MV Swaroop has also remarked - the nidhanam in his music is another key element; analogous to the Rahul Dravid cover drive, and Dravid seems to have all the time in the world. As you have mentioned, the ease at which he used to handle some of the rare ragas was unbelievable. I recently heard his rendition of Hamsaroopini, and his conceptualization of the raga was very interesting. His mastery over laya is effortless and amazing. He has accompanied from a such a young age by such senior vidwans Sikkil Bhaskaran, Tanjavur Upendran and others.

A few months back, I heard his concert at Sankara Mutt. I was sitting farther away at the Pooja hall and I could listen only to the audio waves. When he played Chandrasekara Esa Esa Sundareswara - it was mesmerizing.
Last edited by annamalai on 22 Sep 2014, 23:27, edited 2 times in total.

MV

Post by MV »

Cruel, sad... but true. My condolences to all family and friends. Punarvasu's verse and Gamakam's tamil will ring in my ears as long as U Shrinivas' music itself.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Hi arasi and others - so many thoughts keep gushing in - all wonderful memories unfortunately end up only bringing in great pain. I'm not so comfortable expressing my heart out in English. I'm sorry for not reaching out to forumites who cannot read Tamil. If anyone has time or inclination please do translate, I'm sure you would do a better than job than me.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Right from his younger days, my wife and the U/S used to visit his home at Vadapalani in Chennai.
While his younger brother Rajesh will be playing toys in front of him, U.Srinivas will be playing
and learning new krithis under the guidance of his guru Subbarayudu [He will be singing the krithis].

My sister's son Arvind was a disciple of U.Srinivas. Even though my nephew never pursued to become a professional player, yet he used to be a close friend of him.

U.Srinivas likes our "Vathakozhambu" and many a time, my sister will visit U.Srinivas and offer his favorite item to him at least once in a week.

During his younger days, his father Sathyanarayana used to visit my home and request me to play some of the krithis song by MS AMMA and repeatedly hear the songs 3 or 4 times.
During his next recording in the AIR, U.SRINIVAS used to play the krithis sung by MS AMMA.

My wife and the U/S used to visit his home after he became a favorite artist to all the rasikas around the globe, he used to be a warm hearted son of us and will be conversing with us about the famous halls in various countries and specially mention about a concert hall in France. It used to be mike less concert, but all the subtle nuances he used to play will be clearly heard in the nuke and corner of the hall.
He used to express that he should achieve the name and fame as MR. Michel Jackson and become famous enough to engage an agent to look over his concert schedules.

A child prodigy, ever smiling and with great humility to move freely with whom so ever he meets.

Once in the dais, after opening his Mandolin box, he would take out the picture of Hanuman [his favorite deity] and offer his silent prayers before commencing his concerts.

Stray thoughts about him and these things only remain with me about U.Srinivas now.

S.NAGESWARAN.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mr. Nageswaran,
Extremely touching.

I believe that the grace of Hanuman, the great devotee and musical connoisseur would be fully showered on this maestro Shrinivas. Our loss will be heaven's gain.
He didn't employ megabucks promoter/agents like MJ (another incomparable musician whom I have heard in person) but surely Shrinivas will be missed by rasikas worldwide as much as MJ's death was mourned.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

It hurts more knowing the demise of Mandolin maestro. As a distant admirer as one of the rasikas. I slowly became close to him and still don't understand how God could take such a cruel decision. TNS in his speech (in Vidwan vishushis-Mandolin- uploaded) has rightly said that he learnt the instruments 3-4 generations back and in this birth, he has mastered the instrument at very early stage. Listen to the Shanmugapriya RTP uploaded in the same segment. what a rendition ?

As Shri.Nageshwaran sir sums up, he is humility personified. Even Shri.Kadri/Gurucharan echoed the same view in their tribute also. For them it is ok because they are close friends/celebrities. But, to me also, he was so humble which matters. For his vidwat, he does not need to be so humble, but he had been blessed by Gurus, Sri Sai baba and Maha periaval. Blessed by all Gods/Parents/and love of million of rasikas. Superstar Rajanikanth is a living example to compare with Srinivas for this humbleness. Never carries his fame in his head. I have given my tribute in my blog.
It is truly a personal loss for me.

If you closely look at his eyes, you can see tears circling his eyes. Behind smile, you can feel emptiness. That was his life !

http://grsastrigal.blogspot.in/2014/09/ ... ishna.html

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

Gamakam Sir
With the intention and desire that forunites not familiar with Tamizh, I have tried to translate your post in English. I am posting the very first paragraph. If it meets your approval, I would like to complete the rest of the tribute.

"In the last two days, Sri Srinivos making the moments of fulfillment of my life occupying sense of mind, striking like waves. Only the concert unending making entry and exist. A concert listening by sitting very close to Srinivos, buying a ticket to the stage. Alapana of selected vakulabharana raga for treatment, as a major one. Commencing in mandhra sthayi, developing the raga note by note; staying like a storm in tara sthayi; lightening sancharas sprinkled high and low; once again reaching the mandhra sthayi, thinking that alapana is coming to end, the mandhra sthayi determined to engulf the universe in appearance. Srinivos became the instrument, mandolin instrument became, verily his body. Deft hands and the instrument became one entity. Left hand got pushed to the limits of the instrument within two or three minutes. Procession of mandhra sthayi not reaching the end, even in the state of no further progress. Raga sancharas, holding the hands pushing the urge for more and more."

munirao2001

venkatakailasam

Chandrashekhara isa
sundareshwara gowrisa senjadadara
andivanane shambho
arulmukha nada swambho
chindai teera vandai
chidambaresa kailasavasa

05-candrasEkarA-sindubhairavi-Anai_vaidyanAtha_iyer-MAndolin Srinivas...
http://mfi.re/listen/x15ad6k72v7wll7/05 ... a_iyer.mp3

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear munirao sir - thanks for taking the time to translate. Your effort is commendable. Thank you again.

prabuddha

Post by prabuddha »

I was speaking with a few people over the weekend at a dinner get-together. They listen to CM occasionally but are not rasikas in the know. The tenor of the discussion was slightly disturbing to me. Since the Press reported that the proximate cause of Sri U Srinivas's untimely demise was a liver related issue, many people seemed to have assumed that lifestyle had something to do with it. One person came out flatly and refused to accept this on the ground that Sri Srinivas was such a bhakta of the late Sri Sathya Sai Baba that he had to have a rather clean lifestyle, at least it would have been devoid of excesses. Encouraged by this, I added at that point that he seemed rather 'satvikam' by temperament that it was impossible to believe and that liver anyway was just another organ and there could be a hundred different ways in which one could develop an ailment in it.

Later I came to know that a senior vidwan had informed his fans that he was suffering from a rare blood disorder for a very long time. As a consequence, he had developed liver ailments. Does anybody know about this?

I ask this purely with a desire to nip unseemly talk about this young medhavi and his untimely demise. I was particularly upset because I felt people were treating it like the elephant in the room - 'jaaDai maaDaiyaaga pesinargal'.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Prabuddha, I understand your sincerity of the intention behind your post but let us just leave it at this for now and not debate it. What all you wrote is true. This is not the time for further deliberations on it. Let us grieve first.

venkatakailasam

Let not anybody carry unnecessary weight with them....

TM Krishna has said on this...

" Shri. TM Krishna says: I usually never reply to these messages but here I have to. I request everyone to stop imagining these convenient reasons. I understand that Shrinivas was suffering from Sickle Cell anemia and it was complications arising from that which caused the failure of his liver. It does help if we don't presume reasons... in fact its just not done."

Here is another opinion....

" Sivapriya Krishnan .... U Srinivas's demise is an irreparable loss. However the speculation of his liver condition and death is repulsive. I just wanted to share that I had worked sometime with an ayurvedic doctor to promote some liver supplements and this is what he had to say about the liver. Liver is the one organ that resets itself and struggles hard to set right itself. But there are multiple reasons for it to get spoilt. 1. Fatty foods. 2. Improper Sleep and diet . 3. Improper food eating schedules. 4. Prolonged acidity and stomach disorders. 5. Constipation and improper digestion. 6. Prolonged and indiscriminate Consumption of pain killers and paracetamols. 7. Genetic and acquired Jaundice and Hepatitis factors in the body. 8. Unwanted mental and emotional stress upsetting the bile production in the liver. 9. Indiscriminate use of caffeine and nicotine.These are many reasons for liver damage. Alcohol consumption is NOT the only reason as popularly believed by people. It only compounds the problem. The way we lead lives today is so stressful and a reality check at times is required for all of us in any profession. "

smala

Post by smala »

Some truth spoken here. Would appreciate a translation. Munirao2001, Arasi or rshankar or anyone.

ஜென்மம் நிறைந்தது சென்றவர் வாழ்க
சிந்தை கலங்கிட வந்தவர் வாழ்க
நீரில் மிதந்திடும் கண்களும் காய்க
நிம்மதி நிம்மதி இவ்விடம் சூழ்க

ஜனனமும் பூமியில் புதியது இல்லை
மரணத்தை போல் ஒரு பழையதும் இல்லை
இரண்டும் இல்லாவிடில் இயற்கையும் இல்லை
இயற்கையின் ஆணைதான் ஞானத்தின் எல்லை

பாசமுலவிய கண்களும் எங்கே
பாய்ந்து துலாவிய கைகளும் எங்கே
தேசம் அளாவிய கால்களும் எங்கே
தீ உண்டதென்றது சாம்பலும் இங்கே

கண்ணில் தெரிந்தது காற்றுடன் போக
மண்ணில் பிறந்தது மண்ணுடன் சேர்க
எலும்பு சதை கொண்ட உருவங்கள் போக
எச்சங்களால் அந்த இன்னுயிர் வாழ்க

பிறப்பு இல்லாமலே நாளொன்று இல்லை
இறப்பு இல்லாமலும் நாளொன்று இல்லை
நேசத்தினால் வரும் நினைவுகள் தொல்லை
மறதியை போல் ஒரு மாமருந்தில்லை

கடல் தொடும் ஆறுகள் கலங்குவதில்லை
தரை தொடும் தரைகள் அழுவதும் இல்லை
நதி மழை போன்றதே விதி ஒன்று கண்டும்
மதி கொண்ட மானுடர் மயங்குவதென்ன

மரணத்தினால் சில கோவங்கள் தீரும்
மரணத்தினால் சில சாபங்கள் தீரும்
வேதம் சொல்லாததை மரணங்கள் கூறும்
விதை ஒன்று வீழ்ந்திடில் செடி வந்து சேரும்

பூமிக்கு நாமொரு யாத்திரை வந்தோம்
யாத்திரை தீருமுன் நித்திரை கொண்டோம்
நித்திரை போவது நியதி என்றாலும்
யாத்திரை என்பது தொடர் கதையாகும்

தென்றலின் பூங்கரம் தீண்டிடும் போதும்
சூரிய கீற்றொளி தோன்றிடும் போதும்
மழழையின் தேன்மொழி செவியுறும் போதும்
மாண்டவர் எம்முடன் வாழ்ந்திட கூடும்

மாண்டவர் சுவாசங்கள் காற்றுடன் சேர்க
தூயவர் கண்ணொளி சூரியன் சேர்க
பூதங்கள் ஐந்திலும் உன்னுடல் சேர்க
போனவர் புண்ணியம் எம்முடன் சேர்க

Here is the track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUPFuJIa9qY

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mala,
Thanks for Vairamuthu's poem.
Hope someone translates it. I am no good at translating poems, even my own!

I think there are a few typos:

தரை தொடும் 'தாரைகள்'

என்று கண்டும்

கோபங்கள்

மழலையின்

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Very powerful poem...full of interesting concepts, but, I did not find it comforting.
In any case, I'll try to translate tomorrow.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Dear Gamakam,
I don't read Tamil that well, but I have been moved by Srinivas' passing and everyone has been raving about your tribute. I was tempted to read it, but I kept putting it off. But I did this evening; to read Tamil, I have to read aloud and only I can have the patience to listen to myself and slowly understand over several repetitions of each sentence. I was moved more than I can tell you. I choked up in places, identified with you throughout, and teared up too. I saw that no one has actually fully translated you, and if anything is ever written again in this forum, it should be your tribute, and all those who do not read Tamil should enjoy it.

So I decided to try to translate it. I have completed it. I tried to remain as faithful to your text as posibble. But there were a couple of sentences that I am not sure I understood perfectly. In remaining faithful to your text, I took liberties too, so that I would not carry the Tamil idiom into my English one. Please let me know if this does you justice. Please do correct me where I've gone wrong and I will try to fix it.

Thank you so much for expressing so eloquently what each one of us does really feel.. Do you even know what you did for us?! :)
Last edited by Ranganayaki on 25 Sep 2014, 10:54, edited 3 times in total.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

All, here is Gamakam's tribute in English, translated by me.

My mind in the last couple of days has been churning with memories of Srinivas, who filled my heart, my mind and my life with his presence. A single concert once heard stands out in my head and repeatedly hits me like an ocean wave crashing against the shore.

The stage-ticket that I bought that day gave me a chance to sit right up close. The main raga alapana that day was Vakulabharanam. Starting off at the middle octave and painstakingly building the raga around swara after swara, he climbed over the upper reaches to the Tara Sthayee, the music billowing like a storm, flashing lightning sancharas up and down the octaves, the rain then reaching the ground at the Manthara Sthayee.. A brief calm here, leading me to think this storm was about to pass, the alapana about to end, when suddenly, the manthara sthayee rose in all glory, overwhelming me in a divine Vishwaroopam. Srinivas was nothing more than a speck, the mandolin was a speck within that speck. The hand and the speck within speck mingled in union. In a matter of minutes that left hand found itself at the outer edge of the mandolin's horizon. There was really nowhere left to go, yet the Manthara Sthayee was not about to subside. Sanchara after sanchara continued to stream unabated out of those creative hands...

His right hand reached for the peg. The hand that would only ever touch a peg to precisely align the mandolin's shruti began gently loosening the string. How on earth could anyone, even Srinivas, know so precisely how much to turn a peg or how much it would loosen a string?!! How could even he just simply know where to settle his fingers on the loosened string?

Who can tell if this be the fruit of countless hours of labor? Or is this the benefit, a blessing gained in countless cycles of birth after rebirth?

It was a fleeting, blinding flash of superhuman creativity.

The loosened string afforded him a few more sancharas.. May be he was finally satisfied that the raga had been fully drawn out admired from all angles. He returned to the shadjam to bring the alapana to a conclusion. How could anyone who was not right there even begin to comprehend what transpired that day!

Did even Srinivas have a notion of what he'd accomplished that day? Nothing in my vast experience of listening to concerts has ever paralleled this. It was all so surreal, I have often found myself wondering if I had dreamed all this up, and I would have to call my best friend Vatsan on the phone to make sure it was not my imagination. Vatsan, who'd gasped at the sight and cried out, "Dei!" and whose hand I'd clutched tightly in disbelief.. He would always tell me it was all quite true. What Srinivas did that day was something only those sitting very close to him on stage could have perceived. Srinivas could have made a great show of it for the entire audience to see and applaud his prowess on the mandolin. But then if he had had all that presence of mind, would he ever be the immortal that he was?

Srinivas belonged individually to each and every rasika like me. He was a family member to each of us, and it is no wonder that in all of our hearts, we all believed that he was playing just for us. Every great work of art creates that magical illusion of speaking directly to each one of us and no one else. Most often, meeting the creators of these lllusions ends up breaking the spell, yet the few chance meetings and conversations with Srinivas have only strengthened that sense in me of talking to "my Srinivas". Only yesterday did I read a message from a lady who echoed my own feelings when she wrote,"I feel as though I have lost my own son."

When he created a rising wave of raga, I rose with him. When he plunged into the depths of a raga's ocean to bring up a luminous pearl, I was overjoyed at finding that pearl. When he looked up from his mandolin to smile for a superb sangati he'd just played, it was an interaction just between him and me. Vagadeeshwari, Vanaspati, Vijayashri, Veeravasantham, Vandanadharini, Vardhini, Suryakantham, Bindumalini, Srutiranjani, Urmika were some of the innumerable beings this wonderful friend introduced me to. In my headphones, he was a companion who lighted my way on countless walks. He was going to arrange many more journeys for me. I am aware that just a month ago, he performed a Gokulashtami concert at Unnati, no farther than two streets from my home. I was busy and had some other work to attend to - after all he wasn't going anywhere, where would he ever go! I would make it a point not to miss the next one - what a blockhead!

Now he's gone - he's flown away on the final, ultimate journey. Will he ever come back if I call out for him, or will screaming my heart out bring him back?

They say he may die, but that his music lives on. Well then, let them keep his music! Bring him back to me, it is him that I want! That is all I will ever want.
Last edited by Ranganayaki on 25 Sep 2014, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Ranganayaki... Great job!!

You missed the small part about grabbing Vasan's hand with the Dei exclamation, and the play on the name Srinivas to refer to the lord on a couple occasions but did justice to the writer and his memory as opposed to the other translation in this thread which was poised on the threshold of morbidity.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Suresh,

That's the part I did not clearly understand.. and I didn't catch the play on the name.

Thank you..

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear Ranganayaki,

A truly wonderful translation. In fact it reads better than the original. Thanks for taking the time.

strangely, I felt better after writing it. I could hardly breath till then.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Gamakam and Ranganayaki
Thank you.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

sureshvv wrote:
You missed the small part about grabbing Vasan's hand with the Dei exclamation, and the play on the name Srinivas to refer to the lord on a couple occasions but did justice to the writer and his memory ...
As I was translating, I felt that that intimate experience Gamakam was describing we each have with Srinivas and his music was reminiscent of Krishna's Leela where each Gopika (or seeker) believes Him to be dancing only with her and no one is deprived of Krishna's undivided, riveted attention..

Is that where you saw the play on the name Srinivas? If that was it, then it was not something that could be translated, it is something individual readers have to connect to, just as I did. Please let me know.

If the wordplay is something else that I have excluded in my translation, then I would appreciate your copy pasting the exact sentences so I can see what to do about it. It is really hard for me to go back to the text and search each line again - I am a poor reader of Tamil, that's why.

Also could you or anyone else explain that "Dei" thing too? And Tolaipesi is a noun in my mind, and that part doesn't seem to have any verb in it. Does "Naan tolaipesugiren" mean "I am making a phonecall?"

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Dear Ranganayaki,

if there was any word play it was incidental and not intentional. I myself couldn't see where the word play is. So no worries there. You have captured what I wanted to say so well. Do not change anything.

Gamakam

Post by Gamakam »

Ranganayaki wrote:

Also could you or anyone else explain that "Dei" thing too? And Tolaipesi is a noun in my mind, and that part doesn't seem to have any verb in it. Does "Naan tolaipesugiren" mean "I am making a phonecall?"
I attended this concert with my friend Vatsan. When Shrinivas loosened a string to reach the lower notes as he hit the limit of the instrument, my friend gasped and let out a cry "Dei" and I clasped his hand tightly as we saw the surreal alap unfold itself. Often, even years after the concert, I would wonder what i saw was only a dream or did it really happen? I would call my friend Vatsan up to confirm one more time that the incident actually did happen.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Gamakam wrote:

strangely, I felt better after writing it. I could hardly breath till then.
I don't doubt that at all! Such a nice piece could only have come from deep pain! I felt your pain in reading it, and it was mine too. I cannot forget that 10, 11, 12 year old boy, just months from my own brother's age, playing on the stage with his humble father, admiring little brother, sometimes a guru all around him and he would play and look back at his dad to smile, look up to the side at someone else and smile.. he loved it all. I found that smile so very cute and so charming, it touched my heart. Your line about thalai thooki looking up and smiling was so evocative, it hurt! That child was adopted by the entire city of Chennai, and a lot of people who didn't normally listen to CM were listening to him. The memory of that child playing so well, though then not yet completely flawlessly, never went away, no matter the passage of time and seeing him become an adult and mature as a musician. And I feel today just like the lady in your piece. It all resonates.. and I think anyone who lived in Chennai at the time, who was at least 15 years old when he showed up would feel that way.

Thank you for your kind words, I'm happy to have your approval. It is just a page, but still it makes me very happy to know you like it. It's just that kid and you've given us all something to gather together around as we grieve.

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

We generally realize our feelings about someone - how deeply we love him/her - when the person is not there (or no more) with us. If the person happens to be a kid, that feeling will be much deeper and devastating. We all loved Srinivas as a kid and continued to remember him as the same little boy whom we first saw and listened long ago, who had blown us away with his magical speed, virtuosity and creativity. Deep in our hearts we never acknowledged him as an adult as we cherished the image of that sweet little boy playing that little thing called mandolin and mesmerizing us, and that image continued till date - even though we might have appreciated his achievements over the time and the maturity that came into his music as he grew older. That's Mandolin Srinivas - the cute little boy of CM, forever.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

அந்தத் தளர்ந்த நிலையின் எந்த எடத்தில் என்ன ஸ்வரம் பேசும் என்று ஒருவனுக்குத் தெரிந்திருக்க முடியுமா? ஸ்ரீநிவாஸாகவே இருக்கட்டுமே!
The "word play" may have been serendipitous. When I read the words that said something like "andha srinivas ku thaan theriyum" the image in my mind was of The Srinivas :-) May be the reference to Viswaroopam set it up. Don't think "word play" is the best description.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Suresh, yes, I gave it some thought without re-reading the Tamil text, and I thought it must be something that occurred to you because of the context of Vishwaroopam and the superhuman feats described. I was tired and used "word play" rather loosely, knowing it was easy to understand even if inaccurate.

Thanks a lot for quoting just that line, I was sure that I had read something about swarasthanam on the tanthies that I'd missed translating. I've fixed that, I hope it still reads ok..

Gamakam too, I corrected the part that you explained to me, about Vatsan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Gamakam,
Your writing still lingers on in my mind and Ranganayaki's translation resonates your (our) feelings in the finest way possible, transporting the original in its wholeness to english for those who cannot read tamizh.

True translation soars beyond sincere, conscious efforts at meticulously turning each word into another language--a lot of heart and imagination goes into it, I feel.

Thanks to you both :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Here is that poem translated - I have tried by best to provide the gestault, rather than a padArtha...I am not sure what eccangaL means - I have translated it badly, IMO.

janmam niRaindadu senRavar vAzhga
sindai kalangiDa vandavar vAzhga
nIril midandiDum kaNgaLum kAyga
nimmadi nimmadi ivviDam sUzhga

Life was full, blessed be the departed
Blessed be the ones who made us grieve
May eyes that swim in tears dry out
May tranquility pervade, here and everywhere

jananamum bhUmiyil pudiyadu illai
maraNattai pOl oru pazhaiyadum illai
iraNDum illAviDil iyaRkaiyum illai
iyaRkaiyin ANaidAn nyAnattin ellai

Birth on this earth is nothing new
Nothing more timeworn than death
But without them natural order will perish
The bounds of knowledge are but nature’s mandates

pAsamulAviya kaNgaLum engE
pAyndu tuzhAviya kaigaLum engE
dEsam aLAviya kAlgaLum engE
tI uNDadenRadu sAmbalum ingE

Where are the loving eyes?
Where are the hands that leapt to feel and search?
Where are the feet that measured the world?
Ashes and left-overs (from fire’s meal) are all that remain

kaNNil terindadu kATRuDan pOga
maNNil piRandadu maNNuDan sErga
elumbu sadai koNDa uruvangaL pOga
eccangaLAl anda innuyir vAzhga

What was evident has gone with the wind
Born of the earth, is now unto the earth
Skin and bone have evanesced
May that sweet life live on despite defects

piRappu illAmalE nALonRu illai
iRappu illAmalum nALonRu illai
nEsattinAl varum ninaivugaL tollai
maRadiyai pOl oru mAmarundillai

A day without birth isn’t possible
Nor a day without death
Loving thoughts are the malady
There’s no panacea like amnesia

kaDal toDum ARugaL kalanguvadillai
tarai toDum tAraigaL azhuvadum illai
nadi mazhai pOnRadE vidhi enRu kaNDum
madi koNDa mAnuDar mayanguvadenna

Rivers draining in the ocean are not distressed
Rays touching the ground do not shed tears
Knowing that rivers and rain are but fate
Why are intelligent men bewildered

maraNattinAl sila kOpangaL tIrum
maraNattinAl sila sApangaL tIrum
vEdam sollAdadai maraNangaL kURum
vidai onRu vIzhndiDil seDi vandu sErum

Wrath expires with death
Imprecations vanish with death
What scriptures do not, death does teach
If a seed falls, a tree will result

bhUmikku nAmoru yAttirai vandOm
yAttirai tIrumun nittirai koNDOm
nittirai pOvadu niyadi enRAlum
yAttirai enbadu toDar kadaiyAgum

We’ve come on a journey to this earth
We’ve gone to sleep before journey’s end
Even if sleep were pre-ordained
The journey itself is without end

tenRalin pUnkaram tINDiDum pOdum
sUriya kITRoLi tOnRiDum pOdum
mazhalaiyin tEnmozhi seviyuRum pOdum
mANDavar emmuDan vAzhndiDa kUDum

When the gentle fingers of the wind caress
When a sliver of sunlight sparkles
When the prattle of babes fills our ears
The dead come back to our lives

mANDavar suvAsangaL kATRuDan sErga
tUyavar kaNNoLi sUriyan sErga
bhUtangaL aindilum unnuDal sErga
pOnavar puNNiyam emmuDan sErga

May the breath of the dead mingle with the wind
May the brightness of their eyes brighten the sun
May their bodies become one with the elements
May their virtue become ours

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Ravi.

EccangaL=what is left over; the remains.

Now, I'll go back to the rest (enJiyadu!)--back to the poem...

smala

Post by smala »

Thanks Ravi for the translation. Reading it a few times to get the depth.

i am sharing something I received from Deepa Mohan, carnatic vocalist, disciple of R. Meenakshi (Kolkata), as well.

Current Mood:
philosophical

Current Music:
this

ஜென்மம் நிறைந்தது சென்றவர் வாழ்க
சிந்தை கலங்கிட வந்தவர் வாழ்க
நீரில் மிதந்திடும் கண்களும் காய்க
நிம்மதி நிம்மதி இவ்விடம் சூழ்க

The life is over; hail to the person who left.
Hail to the person who concerned us.
Let the eyes swimming in tears dry up;
Let peace and calm prevail.

ஜனனமும் பூமியில் புதியது இல்லை
மரணத்தை போல் ஒரு பழையதும் இல்லை
இரண்டும் இல்லாவிடில் இயற்கையும் இல்லை
இயற்கையின் ஆணைதான் ஞானத்தின் எல்லை

Birth is nothing new upon this earth.
There is nothing older than death.
Without both, there is no Nature.
The laws of Nature are the far reaches of wisdom.

பாசமுலவிய கண்களும் எங்கே
பாய்ந்து துலாவிய கைகளும் எங்கே
தேசம் அளாவிய கால்களும் எங்கே
தீ உண்டதென்றது சாம்பலும் இங்கே

Where are the eyes filled with love?
Where are the hands that moved?
Where are the feet that straddled this earth
There are only the ashes, after the consuming fire.

கண்ணில் தெரிந்தது காற்றுடன் போக
மண்ணில் பிறந்தது மண்ணுடன் சேர்க
எலும்பு சதை கொண்ட உருவங்கள் போக
எச்சங்களால் அந்த இன்னுயிர் வாழ்க

What one could see, goes with the wind.
What is born on earth, returns to the earth.
The form made of flesh and bones disappears
May the soul live forever.

பிறப்பு இல்லாமலே நாளொன்று இல்லை
இறப்பு இல்லாமலும் நாளொன்று இல்லை
நேசத்தினால் வரும் நினைவுகள் தொல்லை
மறதியை போல் ஒரு மாமருந்தில்லை

There is no day without a birth
There is no day without a death
The memories born out of love trouble us.
There is no medicine like forgettin.

கடல் தொடும் ஆறுகள் கலங்குவதில்லை
தரை தொடும் தரைகள் அழுவதும் இல்லை
நதி மழை போன்றதே விதி ஒன்று கண்டும்
மதி கொண்ட மானுடர் மயங்குவதென்ன

The rivers which the ocean touches, do not worry;
The lands that touch other lands, do not weep.
When they percieve a Fate that is a like a river or rain
Why do intelligent humans get enmeshed?

மரணத்தினால் சில கோவங்கள் தீரும்
மரணத்தினால் சில சாபங்கள் தீரும்
வேதம் சொல்லாததை மரணங்கள் கூறும்
விதை ஒன்று வீழ்ந்திடில் செடி வந்து சேரும்

With death, some angers will cease.
With death, some curses will end.
Death clarifies what even the Vedas do not say.
Where a seed falls, a plant will rise.

பூமிக்கு நாமொரு யாத்திரை வந்தோம்
யாத்திரை தீருமுன் நித்திரை கொண்டோம்
நித்திரை போவது நியதி என்றாலும்
யாத்திரை என்பது தொடர் கதையாகும்

We came to this earth on a journey
Before journey's end, we fell asleep.
Though sleeping is in our destiny,
Our journey is a serial tale.

தென்றலின் பூங்கரம் தீண்டிடும் போதும்
சூரிய கீற்றொளி தோன்றிடும் போதும்
மழழையின் தேன்மொழி செவியுறும் போதும்
மாண்டவர் எம்முடன் வாழ்ந்திட கூடும்

When the soft southern breeze touches us,
When the rays of the rising sun touch us,
When we hear the honeyed sound of the rain,
Those who are departed, may live with us again.

மாண்டவர் சுவாசங்கள் காற்றுடன் சேர்க
தூயவர் கண்ணொளி சூரியன் சேர்க
பூதங்கள் ஐந்திலும் உன்னுடல் சேர்க

May the breath of the departed mix with the breeze.
May the light of their eyes mingle with the sun.
May your body merge with the Five Elements
May the good deeds of the departed belong to us.

http://deponti.livejournal.com/1095294.html

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Arasi. thanks for your words to Gamakam and me. You and RSachi and everyone else who needed a translation or enjoyed mine are welcome. It was really a pleasure to do it, after reading Gamakam. I felt the need for a translation just like you and others.

Some hard work there, Ravi! Thank you for those translations, Ravi and Smala and for the helpful input, Arasi, they helped me fill many gaps.. It is deeply philosophical poetry, utterly rooted in reality. It appears lacking in comfort because it offers none of the illusions that we instinctively crave, which we find in our religious ideas, but it reflects the unending cycle of birth and death (not to be interpreted as punarjanma here) and also the physical recycling of what remains into new life on earth. Sobering and - if we are willing - comforting too. It demands acceptance, a sense of allowing life to wash over us without resistance. When we are able to do that, we can attain the peace and joy that what remains can bring us: we are left with their memories, their goodness, their contributions to the world, to our world, their impact in our lives, and those things live on in our hearts and in the world through us, and through our worthy thoughts and actions. I have found comfort and felt renewed purpose in this stream of thought and can vouch for it, for what it is worth.

But I really understand that it may not be comforting to most. Time is always there to help us all.