Composition&Works of Jagadgurus of Sringagiri Sharada Peetam

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

And aThANa has a delightful mOhaka character.
Goes perfectly with jaganmOhanAngI - delectable!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS,
THANKS..

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Verse 8

bhavAmbhOjanEtrAja sampUjyamAnAm |
lasanmandahAsa prabhAvaktracihnAm |
calaccancalAcAru tATanka karNAm |
bhajE SAradAmbAm ajasram madambAm ||8||

I forever sing praise of my mother SAradAmbe Who is worshipped by ISvara, lotuseyed viShNu and brahma; Who has a radiant face marked by a beautiful and gentle smile; Whose ears are moving to and fro beautifully with ear ornaments; Of such a mother do I sing praise of forever.
(Note- tATanka/Ole is a sign of sumangalitva)

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS. Eagerly waiting for the audio :)

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

:(

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Sorry for the delay Sriram. i dont have the heart to disappoint you.

Click here for SAradAbhujanga8- Madhyamavati

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

:) Thank you very much. Downloading now.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

What a wonderful finish. It was definitely worth the wait :) Thank you.

One small question. The text has "ciHnAm" but in the audio I hear it as "cinhAm". Are they both correct?

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Dear DRS, I have just played the complete bhujanga continuously and the rAgA selection is superb. Thanks for the meanings and for setting this to tune for us. I have started learning this but going a little slow. Will post an attempt as soon as I can for your comments.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Some words in sanskrit (a very few) ar pronounced slightly different from the way they are written- cihna, brahma are 2. They are pronounced as cinha and bramha. (Samll correction. It sholud be cihna and not ciHna. Please correct the typo)

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Thank you Sriram. Look forward to hear your attempt. Iam sure you will do a good job.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Suji- I sent you an email.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

ow, what a closure! madhyamAvathi...wonderful, wonderful. DRS, must say there are a couple reneditions when I thought it was PB Sreenivas singing :)

DRS, Couple you in the meantime provide the meaning for the other two viruthams I posted @ the beginning. I have a couple more shlokams I will put up later today.
Last edited by mahesh3 on 04 Sep 2006, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks DRS for the masterful rendition of AcArya's stotra ratnam. I am sure it will be practised and sung by all our CM Rasikas. Here is my encomium

kA tE stutiH ambE stavya parAparOktiH |
kA vA bhavatu gEyaM tvam praNavaparam |
sarvasya buddhirUpENa janasya h^Ridi samsthitE |
^RitE punaruktam shukEva tvatprsAdAt shrIkAntEna kIrtitam |
namastubhyam namatubhyam tungabhadrA vihAriNE ||

Meaning

Oh Mother! What stotra is there worthy of praise for you (who is yourself) the embodiment of all uttered and unuttered words!
How can you be sung about who is beyond even OMkAra!
You who is the one residing in the heart of all people in the form of intellect!
Except for (our) reciting like a parrot what shrIkAnta has sung (in praise of you) through your grace!

Prostrations to you again and again who is sporting (on the banks of the mighty) TungabhadrA.

Here is an audio in brindAvani

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 06314DF653
or
http://rapidshare.de/files/31935763/Saradamba.mp3

sarvE shAradAmbA anugraha prAptirastu|

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

Prashant, here's the translation for these verses:

|| Rathnagarbha GanesAnam Chandramoulincha ShAradha
Vandhe Jagadhgurum SarvAm ShAradhapeetha Susthitha ||

"I bow in reverence to Rathnagarbha Ganesha, Srimad Chandramoulishwara, Sharadamba, and all the Jagadgurus that are enshrined at Sringeri Sharada Peetam."

|| Rishyashringa PurAdheesham TungAteera NivAsinam
BhakthA Modapradham Vande Shri VidyAteertham Mahagurum ||

"I venerate that great preceptor, Shri VidyaTirtha Mahaswamin, the Lord that reigns at RishyaShringapura (actually Kigga, but can also refer to Shringa-giri) who lives on the banks of the sacred river Tunga, and who blesses his devotees with all happiness."

I'm not sure if this verse refers to Shri Vidyatirtha Mahaswaminah, the 10th Peetadhipathi, the Guru of Shri Bharati Krishna Tirtha and Shri Vidyaranya and whose Adhishtanam is the famed Shri Vidyashankara temple or to Shrimad Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamigal, the 35th Peetadhipathi and the Guru of Shrimad Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks DRS for completting the SAradAbhujanga.
And yet another beautiful vilOma swaras...
will get back to your email soon

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

M.S.Sheela beautifully singing a beautiful SlOka :) And she follows it up with SAradA bhujabna! Sadly, the recording isonly of the first 5 verses :(
Even so, a must hear and ceratinly one to have in the collection :)

http://rapidshare.de/files/31197016/30- ... Stotra.mp3

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

Uploadsolutions.com is throwing up an error and i am unable to download verses 6 and 7. Can some one re-post them on any other site please?

Thanks in advance.

And Thanks DRS for such a nice effort.

sthOthradAtha sukheebhava! :)
Last edited by humdinger on 05 Sep 2006, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

prashant

Post by prashant »

Thanks, Sudarshan, for the translation.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

Hello,The original location of Shringeri sharadha peetam was at the confluence of Tunga and Bhadra rivers called Kudali where there is still a Mutt.However the present Mutt is on the banks of Tunga river.,However there are lot of disputes in this history.

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

mnsriram,
Thanks a lot!

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

Baboosh, the original location of Sharada Peetam is at Sringeri only. Sharadambal's feet got stuck in the sands of the TungaBhadra and Acharyal installed Amba on the banks of the TungaBhadra. In Sharada Bhujanga Stotram, in the second verse, Acharya says "Purastreem Vinidram Puras Tungabhadram". Kudali (to meet in Kannada) is on the confluence of Tunga and Bhadra rivers. But Acharya did not establish any Mutts there. It was in Sringeri that he established the Sharada Peetam. Moreover, Sringeri was one of Acharya's favourite places since he stayed there for about 12 years, quite a long time considering the short span of his incarnation. Impressed by the sanctity of the place and perceiving the divine presence of the Jaganmatha, he carved the ShriChakra on a rock and installed a sandal image of Sharadambal here. The present Mutt at Kudali is a branch of the Sringeri Mutt that came into existance during the time of Sri Vidyaranya.

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Does making/drawing a Sri Chakra involve mathematical calculations in terms of avaranaas relative to each other?
Sorry for the digression..

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ciTTeswara and vilOma swaras for the bhujanga

madyamAvati
S || R, R, M- | P , M N P- | M , P M R- | R , M R S- |
| N# P# N# S R- | S M R P M -| N P- S N P- | P M M R S |
| N# S R M R S- R M P M- | P N- P S*- N R*- S* M* R* S* ||

aThANa
| D ; D , N P M- P D- | D N- N S*- R* S* P , P R* ||

bEgaDe
| N N , D P D- M M , G | R S- G R- M G- P M- G , ||

bhauLi
| D P D- G D P- G P D S*- | N D P ,- G P G R S , ||

Anandabhairavi
| N# S G R G ,- M P D P | S* ,- N D P M G R S , ||

ShaNmukhapriya
| P M- D P- N D- S* N- R* S* | D ,- N D P M G R S , ||

Shahana
| R , G M P M- D , N D | P M- G M R G- R S P , ||

nATa
| P M G M R ,- S N~ R ,- | G M P N- S* N P M P , ||

madhyamAvati
| N P M P N ,- R M P N | S* ,- N S* R* M* R* S* R* ,- |
| M* R* S*- R* S* N- S* N P- N | P M- R M P N S* R*

Finsih with bhajE SAradAmbAm 3 times in madhyamAvati

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks DRS! This is a great gift for the oncoming Pooja season. Here is the combined consolidated audio
http://rapidshare.de/files/32092444/Sha ... mbined.mp3
I have tried to normalize as far as possible.
Could somebody (meena?) consolidate the shlokas as well as the ciTTasvarams into one nice document with dEvI's picture imbedded. I am sure we will hear the renderings by some of our Rasikas soon.

shAradAmba anugraha prAptirastu|

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thanks DRS and CML

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

CML
Thank your very much for your SlOka and the combined bhujanga. I am humbled.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote:Thanks DRS! This is a great gift for the oncoming Pooja season. Here is the combined consolidated audio
http://rapidshare.de/files/32092444/Sha ... mbined.mp3
I have tried to normalize as far as possible.
Could somebody (meena?) consolidate the shlokas as well as the ciTTasvarams into one nice document with dEvI's picture imbedded. I am sure we will hear the renderings by some of our Rasikas soon.

shAradAmba anugraha prAptirastu|
Thanks CML,
I was just now puting the cittaswaras together

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

If you notice in the vilOma swaras, the last 2 swaras of each rAga are common to the rAga as well as the following rAga.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:If you notice in the vilOma swaras, the last 2 swaras of each rAga are common to the rAga as well as the following rAga.
except in the transition from bouLi to Ananda bhairavi

-Ramakriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

ramakriya wrote:except in the transition from bouLi to Ananda bhairavi

-Ramakriya
Why not Ramakriya? The last two swaras are "S ,". SO they can fit literally any rAga right.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Of course :) I think today I am living somewhere !

-Ramakriya

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://rapidshare.de/files/32573300/SAr ... a.doc.html

Here is the link to word document of the sAradA bhujanga ( rAgamAlika) with ciTTaswaras and vilOma swaras by DRS

I got the text and pic from this site.

http://www.ambaa.org/stotrams/sharada.htm

DRS,
Did you write notations for this? I hesitate to ask, but if you already have it could you please post it.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Suji! Very well done!
Now let us hear it on the violin!

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

Sudarshan,The present mutt is on the banks of Tunga river and also when Sharadambal stood transfixed at the confluence of tunga and bhadra as per Guruvamsa kavya this could have got shifted from Kudali .No one really knows.Also Sharadambal is in a sitting posture at present shringeri which is not as per history you mentioned.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I am late to the party.. I just had a few minutes to listen to DRS's rendering. Fantastic work DRS. Excellent choice of appropriate ragas!! Thanks very much. I will have to spend some more time later to internalize the meaning and listen to it again and again.

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

Baboosh, according to the Madhaviya Shankara Vijayam written by Sri Vidyaranya, the 12 pontiff of Sringeri Sharada Peetham, it was only at Sringeri that Acharya established the Sharada Peetam. Amba found in Kudali is in the standing posture, which corroborates with the anklets-stuck-in-stand story. Acharya consecrates Amba there and later comes to Rshyasringapura (Sringa giri) and sees a snake providing shelter to a pregnant frog from the scorching sun. Astounded by this unusual phenomenon, Acharya thought it was best to establish an Advaita Matham here where even natural enemies behaved in total cordaility. The Kudali Mutt also does not lay any claim to its establishment by Adi Acharya. The Guruvamsa Kavya itself there are some issues per se which are quite incorrect. For instance, it mentions that the Chandramouliswara Lingam in worship at the Sringeri Mutt was gifted to Acharya by Revanna Siddheshwara - a Veerasaiva siddha. It is a well-known fact (also documented in Sivarahasya) that the Chandramoulishwara spatika lingams were given to Acharya by Parameshwara, which he installed in all the four Amnaya Peetams.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

Sudarshan,The number of acharyas as per Kudali mutt records are much higher than in Sringeri.If I remember right it is touching 77 or so.How come they have more lineage of Acharyas?Some research is needed.

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

One thing might be that their mortality rates might have been high. Even the Kanchi Mutt has 70 Acharyas in its lineage. They say the Mutt was established by Adi Acharya about 2500 years ago, Before Christ. But this has been outrightly refuted by several scholars.

baboosh

Post by baboosh »

Sudarshan,All indological scholors and even the mutts including Sringeri were holding the view that Adi sankara was born before Christ.Only later Sringeri mutt changed the date to A.D. as there were some gaps and some Acharyas were credited with 800 years of pontificateship.

As proof of the same Shri.Nrisimha Bharathi,the Acharya who built the shrine to Aryamba at Kaladi,composed a verse at the time of Kumbabhishekam where it was clearly mentioned that Parameshvara took birth seeing the evils of kali as Adisankara 2000 years before.
This was mentioned in a tableau at the shrine but removed later.Still it is available in certain publications of the mutt.

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

The date of Adi Shankara one of the most controversial topics and is still open to question. One of the authentic versions of Adi Shankara's charitra is the Madhaviya Shankara Vijayam, which was written by one Madhava who later became Sri Vidyaranya, the 12th Peetadhipathi of the Sringeri Mutt. It is well documented that the Vijayanagar empire came into being around the 14 century, which was also Sri Vidyaranya's time and that he was instrumental in establishing it. If Adi Shankara advented before Christ, there must have been several Peetadhipathis in between him and Sri Vidyaranya and the latter could not have been the 12th peetadhipathi. The Vidyashankara temple in Sringeri was built over the adhishtanam of Sri Vidyatirtha, the 10th Acharya. This was built by Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha, the 11th Peetadhipathi, and has sculptures of all the Acharyas of the Peetam beginning from Adi Shankara to Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha. Sri Vidyaranya was the purvashrama brother of Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha and also his successor to the Peetam. Going by these, it seems quite possible that Adi Shankara existed around the 8th century. But as I said earlier, this is one of the most controversial topics and a valid date is yet to be arrived at. If this is solved, there might be several questions answered including the debated history of the Kanchi Mutt.
Last edited by sudarshan on 21 Sep 2006, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

sudarshan wrote:Sri Vidyaranya, the 12th Peetadhipathi of the Sringeri Mutt. It is well documented that the Vijayanagar empire came into being around the 14 century, which was also Sri Vidyaranya's time and that he was instrumental in establishing it. If Adi Shankara advented before Christ, there must have been several Peetadhipathis in between him and Sri Vidyaranya and the latter could not have been the 12th peetadhipathi.

The Vidyashankara temple in Sringeri was built over the adhishtanam of Sri Vidyatirtha, the 10th Acharya. This was built by Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha, the 11th Peetadhipathi, and has sculptures of all the Acharyas of the Peetam beginning from Adi Shankara to Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha. Sri Vidyaranya was the purvashrama brother of Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha and also his successor to the Peetam. Going by these, it seems quite possible that Adi Shankara existed around the 8th century. But as I said earlier, this is one of the most controversial topics and a valid date is yet to be arrived at. If this is solved, there might be several questions answered including the debated history of the Kanchi Mutt.
The beginning of Vijayanagara's first ruler Harihara started at 1336 AD.

The Vidyashankara temple at Sringeri shows a very marked influence of hoysala style, although it is not a typical hoysaLa temple. In fact, Harihara and Bukka were the generals of the last Hoysala king Veera Ballala III. I am not sure if there are any rock inscriptions at the temple, ( very likely since Hoysala temples generally have).

If this was indeed built by the 11th acharya, then a 8th century date for Sankar seems more likely.

-Ramakriya

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

Sri Vidyashankara temple has a unique style of architechture with a combination of the Hoysala and Dravidian styles. The temple is supposed to resemble the geometry of the Shri Chakra. There are inscriptions found in the temple. It is actually the adhishtanam of Sri Vidyatirtha, the 10th Acharya of the Peetam. In Simhagiri near Narasimhavanam, there is unique idol called Chaturmurthi Vidhyeshwara. This idol was commissioned to be sculpted by Sri Vidyatirtha. The east face of this idol has Sri Vidya Tirtha along with his disciples, Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha and Sri Vidyaranya. The south, west and north faces have sculptures of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheshwara respectively. On the head of Sri Vidya Tirtha is Lakshmi Narasimha. Above all these, on the top most is a Lingam. Sri Vidya Tirtha went into a cave and entered lambika yoga and instructed to close the cave and not to open it for 12 years. If done so, after 12 years, his mortal form would assume the form of the above-described Chaturmurthi Vidhyeshwara. But some curious people opened the cave much before and found only the Lingam to be formed with the rest of the form incomplete. The Acharyas were informed and they concluded that nothing could be done about it and as a tribute to their great guru, they built a temple over the adhishtanam, which is the present Vidyashankara temple.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

sudarshan wrote:But some curious people opened the cave much before and found only the Lingam to be formed with the rest of the form incomplete.
What I have heard was all that was left was the fragrance of sandal wood and nothing else.

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

This is absolutely news to me. Whatever I have read until now speaks about the incompletely formed Vidyashankara lingam.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I just listened to the combined audio today. Good work, drshrikaanth, nice transitions between the rAgAs.

Speaking of compositions of ShringEri jagadgurus, the ShAradA gItam "shaaradaamba sharadindunibhaanana ", is a wonderful hymn by them and MLV has rendered it melodiously in her album, dEvI kadamba mAlA.

arasi

Post by arasi »

DRS,
Bravo! A meaningful musical gift from you to the rasikas. Great rendering of such a mani mAlA of rAgAs and swarAs.
Pop ups of jewelry vendors, keep away from our turf. We need you not...;)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://rapidshare.de/files/33759807/Sar ... a.mp3.html

Here's my attempt of nATa verse on the violin.
Hope to finish the entire piece soon