Kollegal R Subramanyam

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Sri Kollegal R Subramanyam is based in hyderabad and is a vaggeyakara. He is not much known outside. He is also instrumental in installating Thyagaraja statue in rama temple in hyderabad.

Web site - http://kollegalsubramanyam.com/home.htm

Title: The Silent path of a vocal genius

A dark complexion and with a contrasting flowing white beard Kollegal Subrahmanyan is not only gentle and an unassuming man but is also one of the greatest carnatic vaggeyakaras.

It is a rare experience listening him to sing with uncompromising devotion to the ideals of the great trinity. his music give s the spiritual and moral enlightenment.

Born in Kollegal the then district of Tamilnadu but now a part of Karnataka, Kollegal Subramanyan started his early education in vocal under the able tutelage of Sri Balakrishna Iyer at Kollegal in the year 1944. From 1944-1953, he underwent the gurukula sikshana at Bangalaore under the guidance of the great music scholar Brahmasri Dr L Muthiah Bhagavathar of Harikesanallur under Asthana sangeetha vidwan of Mysore of Sri Belakavadi Varadaraja Iyengar. After the intensive sikshana, he was blessed by his guru with the title "Sangeetha vidwan".

Kollegal Subramanyam after completing his intensive education in carnatic vocal settled in Hyderabad to teach carnatic vocal music. Till date he has given hundreds of concert all over India and has received appreciation from several eminent personalities. Apart from being an eminent vaggeyakara, he is also highly respected Jothishya Acharya and philosopher.

His teachings and works show his profound inclination. he was ordained "Unchavruthi Diksha" by Bhramashri Pudukottai Gopalakrishna Bhagavathar in March 1970 and Srividhya Deeksha by brahmasri Rajamani in 1979.

In addition to inventing 13 new ragas, his works include over 450 krithis written in various languages. Amongst which are compositions of 72 melakartha ragas on a sole subject - Devi, in just 10 days, Devi Krithi mala panchrathnam, Sri Lalitha nava varnam, Sri Shodashi vidhya, sri dasa mahavidhya, devi navavarna manimala, navagraha krithis, venkateshwara manimala, srigeri navamanimala, purandaradasa nakshathra krithi manimala. Besides, this he has compiled 200 different krithis of thyagaraja in 200 different ragas in a book form with notations and many such immortal achievements. He is chiefly instrumental in constructing a temple for Saint Thyagaraja at Hyderabad which is hailed as "chinna thiruvaiyaru".

In 1982, his students and well wishers bought out a collection of his compositions in the form of a booklet "Stuti mala" which was released by Late Dr. Divakarla Venkatavadhini, a well known scholar and poet of Andhra Pradesh. A reputed music institution Nada Brahma Vidhyalayam at New Delhi conferred on him the title "Nada Brahma Kala Rathnam". In February 1989, Sri Raghavendra Brindavana Seva Samithi, Kakinada conferred on him the title " Sangeetha Athma Vedhi" and released his book "Sri Purandaradasa Nakshatra Krithi manimala". In March 1992, a reputed cultural organization, Swara Sudha of Hyderabad conferred on him the title "Tatva Swara Sekhara".

Untiring efforts and devotion to the cause of music have been his forte. Despite receving abundant praise and appreciation his talent and works have largely gone unrecognized. This endeavor is but a small tribute to the silent path of a vocal genius.

I am very eager to know more from those who know him, or heave heard his compositions or have learnt from him

-hari
Last edited by s_hari on 13 Aug 2009, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Hari,
Thanks for the write up.

I think Sri. Muthiah Bhagavatar passed away in 1945. You probably mean the gurukula shikshana was under Sri. Belakavadi Varadaraja Iyengar, who was a disciple of Muthiah Bhagavatar.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

The note was written by a friend who learnt from Sri Subramanyam!! I think, that sentence might be ambiguous. I will check with him and make necessary corrections

-hari

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

For those interested, the lalitA navAvaraNa kIrtanams series has been released recently in CD form and is available from Kutcheribuzz: http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/ebrochures/kanchanamanyam/.

For a short preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdEcHG32NsQ
Last edited by kmrasika on 02 Nov 2009, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Naada Priya

Post by Naada Priya »

:) I am proud to be born in Kokllegal from where a great musician like 'Kollegal subramanyam' hails.. :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

s_hari: Are these books that you have mentioned in post 1 available for sale somewhere?

kmrasika

Re:

Post by kmrasika »

Lakshman wrote: 02 Nov 2009, 22:29 s_hari: Are these books that you have mentioned in post 1 available for sale somewhere?
@Lakshman Sir, some material is available at: https://kollegalrsubramanyam.in/videos-2/.

Sachi_R

Re: Kollegal R Subramanyam

Post by Sachi_R »

The Kollegal I know was never in Tamil Nadu.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Kollegal Taluk was part of the Coimbatore District of the State of Madras till 1956. On implementation of the States Reorganisation Act of 1956, it became part of the new State of Mysore from 1.11.1956.

Madras State was renamed Tamil Nadu in 1969, and
Mysore State was renamed Karnataka in 1973

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Pls. give me a location of this Kollegal. We have a Kollegal in the middle of Karnataka which is 177 km from Coimbatore.
Last edited by Sachi_R on 09 May 2022, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

Pratyaksham Bala

Yes, this Kollegal Taluk was part of the Coimbatore District of the State of Madras till 1956.

arasi

Post by arasi »

SachiyavarE,
Going back that many years, it was called KoLLEgAlam, known for silk weaving. KoLLEgAl is the anglicized form of the name, and of course koLLEgAla in KannaDa . I don't think the sarees woven there had been of the same quality as of some of the kAnchipuram ones (muRukkup paTTu--twisted silk yarn and so on). Yet, they sold very well, catering to all tastes and budgets.
I also see that in the write-up about the composer, there is a mention of Kollegal being part of TN then.

sari (yes), I also see that he has many compositions to his credit. He also sings some of his songs. Thanks to those who have helped him in bringing all his works together here to share with others.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Well, I have learnt something new. A place in Karnataka bring a part of Madras Presidency. (I think even Mangalore was).

arasi

Post by arasi »

MangaLUru namma Uru
BengaLUru kUDa--namma
Uru nimma Uru, nimma Uru
UrugaLella nammadu andarE?
namma Uru nimma UrallavE?
summane hELidarE, nammUru
dESavellavU, nammellarigU
klESavillade ondE allavE?

MangaLUru is our city
BengaLUru too is our
Town and your town
What if we say all are ours?

Isn't your town ours?
Putting it simply--our town
Country and all, for us all
Is one, without any doubt :) :)

Sachi,
This is just a whimsical take on the subject, as you can see. After all, you are a citizen of the world, we know well. Before I am asked if I am not a vidESi, I would claim to be another one like you--a sarva dESa praje? :) :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

🙏🙏

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

While the interest is renewed on this thread, here's the set of compositions on śrīvidya: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa ... N3i7QSruq7 - he composed on all dieties that reside in the śrīcakra- think the lalita navāvaraņam is part of this work.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

I found out that Kollegal Subramanyam has also composed songs in all the 72 mELakrtAs.

Pratyaksham Bala

Thanks for the post !
A welcome breeze, a peep out of the stifling threesome deluge in the Vaggeyakaras section.