Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
meena

Post by meena »

thanks badri shall correct.

cml next should be 101 on raga!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ha ha!

meena

Post by meena »

sangeetham raga bank: nATTai

http://lnk.nu/sangeetham.com/5ql.php3 (link shortened, by Admin)

" The raga is suitable for tanam singing and figures a lot in Ragamalikas, Swararagamalikas and ragamalika tanams. Raga alapanas are rare in nATTai in a concert and Pallavis are hardly sung. One notable exception is a pallavi by T.N.Seshagopalan in nATTakurinji, which he sings in three ragas - nATTai, kurinji and nATTakurinji."

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Folks!

The best that I could come up with

http://rapidshare.de/files/7336876/01_M ... a.mp3.html

This is by NamagiripETTai

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

chithra

Post by chithra »

Perhaps we should look amongst Vainikas. I definitely recall hearing Nattai in Veenai Thanam

chithra

meena

Post by meena »

What happened to Part 1? chembai are u still formating???

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Meena, please give me a week, I have some exams which I am writing now, so I cant spare time right now for restoring Part1 (which by the way has to be done manually post by post).

meena

Post by meena »

remebered seeing the thread this morning, so i asked.

found it its now gone under -Unregistered Members posts, ha ha

No prob. good luck with ur exams, we have cml here saving the web pages for us :)

All the best chembai.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

some more nice tracks
of nata

http://rapidshare.de/files/7342812/nata ... zumdar.mp3
(CML do not get put of by the first halfof the track.the second combination will make up for it ):wink
http://rapidshare.de/files/7341361/nata ... yengar.mp3

darshan

Post by darshan »

CML, extremely sorry for the delayed reply. Unfortunately I tried rummaging through my thoughts for any connection between Ganapathi and nattai ragam, but to no avail. I was going through the krithi Mahaganapathim in Nattai by MD. Here while interweaving the raga name in the krithi in his usual style, he says mahakavya natakaadi priyam. This might have a connection to the Pillayar Stuthi in Tamil:

"Paalum theli thenum paagum paruppum
ivai naalum kalandhu unakku naan tharuven
kolancheidunga kari mugatthu maniye
nee yenakku Sanga Thamizh Mundrum thaa"

Here Thamizh Mundrum means iyal isai natakam (prose, music, and drama) Dikshitar also seems to refer to the same when he says "kavya (iyal) nataka (natakam) aadi priyam" except that he doesn't include music.

Meena, does the kavithuvam you've posted have lyrics like "Gajamukha Ganapathi Girisutaputram"? I had heard this being recited by a priest accompanied by thalam on the thavil during a Sahasra Modaka Homam. It is a wonderful experience hearing it. I think surely this would make Ganapathi dance!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

here is a fine piece from FM where Music Director Harris Jayaraj has taken nATTai and morphed it. He delightfully starts with Jagadanandakaaraka (Thirvayaary T festival rendition which he artfully merges with the film song sung by Hariharan and Harini. He fully exploits the beauty of RGMPM-MP-MRGMMRS. Just visit
http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000678.html

Also I would like to point out that nATTai is a very ancient Tamizh paN called naTTa. SundaramUrthy nAyanar sang the famous 'ponnaar mEniyanE' in nATTai.

Thanks coolkarni for that ensamble rendition. But that veeNa duo simply stole my heart!(The suddensound variation simply jolted me!)I believe nATTai was simply invented to go with the vINA. It is so energetic and inspiring ( I guess in olden days tamizh kings went to war with music in nATTai). I definitely think there must be a sitar or sarod rendering of nATTai since the HM would never ignore such a powerful enegizing raga. Any chance of your finding?

darshan

Thanks for trying. I guess we are missing something. Perhaps there are some vedic chants which will go with this raga. Wish one should have queried Emani when he was alive!

meena

Post by meena »

darshan
thats the complete text, provided to me by Lji, i have not heard the extra line u mention recited at any dance program either.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

meena,

knowing your interest in Dance,

kamalAMbike was performed as a musical dance during the last birthday celeberation of oDeyar. i have the VCD,( an amateur job). Dance was by
Smt. Radhika Nanada Kumar and Sri. R.S. Nanda Kumar gave the vocal support. Is there any way to u/l it ?

Friends,

Nata is also part of the rAgamAlika paintings of swara cUDamaNI ( sri Tattva Nidhi) by Mummudi Krishna Raja Wadiyar.

meena

Post by meena »

RC
can u pl u/l Tattva Nidhi plate on nata, - provide us with the meaning too pl. thanku

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
I would love to see the VCD of the dance piece as well. In fact, listening to many of his lyrics, I was struck by the fact that they would lend themselves perfectly to choreography, and wondered if any of the dancers (especially the Karnataka-based artistes) have explored the Maharaja's compositions for this purpose!
Ravi

BTW, am I correct in assuming that all of the Maharaja's compositions have been discussed? DRS, thank you for your monumental dedication, and Kulkarni sa'ab for all of the postings. It was a treat! But, now, like alcoholics, I am sure we all want more! Didn't Kulkarni sa'ab say that we would discuss HKMB next? I can't wait! I am experiencing acute withdrawal symptoms, and like Madhumati, I feel the 'biCHuA' crawling all over me! :P
Ravi

chithra

Post by chithra »

All done with Wodeyar Compositions already - I thought the count was still in the 50s!

Are you in a hurry to get to HMB, Ravi?
chithra

meena

Post by meena »

chitra

we have passed 50s!!! 60s now.
Hope ur post goes unnoticed by DRS ;)

Ravi
we have few more.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks Meena: I can't seem to wait patiently!
Ravi

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

coolkarni
the mallAri you have posted is in gambhIranATa with a distinct tilang flavour in places (N2). It is not nATa. mallAri is meant to be in gambhIranATa only.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

I definitely think there must be a sitar or sarod rendering of nATTai since the HM would never ignore such a powerful enegizing raga. Any chance of your finding?
CML
I doubt this. Simply because AFAIK the system of HM will not allow the accommodation of this rAga`s swarasthAnas. It is only recently that HM is increasingly adopting and accepting the 72-mELakarta scheme. R3 does not exist in HM. As nATi also contains G3, G2(same as R3) cannot regularly feature as an adjacent note in the rAga in HM. nATi will hence not fit into any of the 10 thATs in HM.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Raja Chandra
Do upload the dance item for kamalAmbikE. It will be very interesting and informative.
Sorry for the slight delay in my posting. Like srkris, I too have an exam and will be tied for another 10 days or so. After that, I will be back in form. :wink

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

DRS and Chembai, GOOD LUCK!
Ravi

chithra

Post by chithra »

Chembai, DRS - Best of Luck!

Meena, are we really in the 60s? I seem to missed most of the Wodeyar uploads, all I remembered was a reference to some number in the 50s. Am I behind!

Chithra

meena

Post by meena »

chitra ,see what happens when u dont take part in the discussions ;)

Ans. ur Q - is yes!!!

harikesa

Post by harikesa »

Thought Jog does use this.Have heard Veena Sahasrabuddhe pronounce R and G (while using R3)and Rashid Khan pronounce G,G(for r2,r3).Jog is of course a new raga (relatively,say 75-100 yrs now)in HM.

darshan

Post by darshan »

Sorry for the digress, I had some time and was slowly reading all the previous postings and came across the krithi composed by DRS. Excellent piece. Period. When I saw the word Kaushika, I remembered a friend of mine (Sankethi, needless to say) is also from that place. DRS, would you by any chance know the late Dr. Krishna Rao from Malleshwaram, Bangalore? He, too, was a Sankethi.

DRS, are you a Shrividya initiate? I am asking this out of sheer curiosity since you seem to know many of the intricacies of Shrividyopasana. If so, could you please tell who is your Pujya Gurunatha?

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

sorry i could not d/l the VCD on kamalAMbikE. the original is in .dat format and i do not how to edit the vcd on PC and d/l only the relevant portion. can any one guide me on that ?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

RC
You will need a software like VCD Cutter to take out relevant portions for upload.I will check if your email ID is available on your profile and send you a mail.Otherwise pl send me a mail at inmech@gmail.com. I will guide you further.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

idhu allavO co-operation!
Ravi

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

meena,

please d/l nATA painting fron svaracUDamaNi by Krishna Raja Wadiyar III:

http://rapidshare.de/files/7450891/nATA.doc.html

CML,

can you explain the rAga lakshaNa description ?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC

turangaM gama skandha nishamna bAhuH= riding on the shoulder of a horse pointing with his arm
svarNaprabhaH shONita shONagAtraH= shining gold bloodied and bloodied body
sangrAmabhUmau vicaran pratApI = warrior roaming in the battle field
nATO yaM uktaH kila sh^Ringa mUrtiH = That is called nATaH indeed pinnacle of form

grahAmsha nyAsa shaDjA svAtsampUrNA nATkA matA = It is opined that for nATka the graha amsha and nyAsa swara is Shadja and is sampUrNA
kEcit tu kathayanti Enam ^RiShabha trya samyutaM = Some say that it has the third RiShabha (R3).

So the first part describes nATa as a warrior in the battlefield with a bloodied golden sword riding the shoulder of a horse and with bloodied body around. (All these depicted in the picture)

The ragalakShaNa describes the amSa and nyAsa swara to be Shadjam and that it is sampUrNam in swaras. Some are of the view that R3 is the one that is used.

meena

Post by meena »

thanks cml

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Hi all,

If this is the JCW part II as the title says, is there a link to Part I ? I joined this group recently and am unable to see the Part I link... It would be nice to know a lot from that..

any help please...

Thanks

srivathsa

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

welcome srivathsa,

part -1 was lost as web site crashed due to fire.

it is being reconstructed.

At the home page of this site, there is a thread open for unrgistered members and it contains some part of the part-1

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

Many Thanks for that info. Raja.

But the rapidshare links for all those krithis are missing due to inactivity..Is that the web problem of reconstruction or can they be posted again.. I shall be very grateful if Mr. Coolkarni or Mr.DRS would help me get those links...

Thanks again

Srivathsa

sriucl

Post by sriucl »

I meant those links of JCW krithis in Part I... I forgot to include this note in my earlier post...

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

srivathsa,

if you are looking for the of revival of http://www.freepgs.com/carnatic/ itself, then chances appears to be remote. But chembai is slowly reconstructing it back at jcrw I as already stated. You may have to wait. However, what you are looking for is the mp3 recordings of the kRuti's then , I am not sure whether it is still available at rapishare.

i understand karthik is likely to host a web site on Odeyar and it may contain all this.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

i checked up the rapidshare links at the JCRO-I postings and they are still active. So what you need is the actual ID of the all u/l and only coolcarni can help in this regard.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

no.i do not have the links myself.rapidshare used to give a summary of live links to the uploader, but they stopped about a month ago.
sriucl..
where are you located please.if in india, i have a simpler solution.just mail me at inmech@gmail.com

chithra

Post by chithra »

Sorry, Meena- saw your post only today. What to do - wish I had two of me (not Siamese, however, as it would not serve the purpose).

Well, though I missed 95 % of the audio uploads, I have been reading the articles, translations and enjoying them immensely. And, I have learned so much - am eternally grateful to Kulkarni, DRS, cmlover - endaro mahanubhavulu andariki vandanamu,

chithra

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

this is for rasikas information:

vidushi Dr.sukanya prabhakar, who did her doctoral thesis on oDeyar's composition was recently conferred with rajyothsava award by karnataka govt.

Dr.SK had two years ago brought out a CD/cassette named as vaMdEhaM shivE consisting of following kRuti's:

1. paripAhimAM- vakuLAbharaNa; Adi.
2. vaMdEhaM sadA- haMsanaTani; Adi
3. shrI raMganAtha-kalyANavasaMta; m-jaMpe
4. nILakaMTaM-gamakakriya; k-tripuTa.
5. vaMdEhaM shivE-kadanakUtuhala; c-maTya.
6. hATakEshvaraM-hATakAMbari; t-tripuTa.
7. aMbA shrI-bhOgavasaMtha; Adi.
8. shiva shiva shiva bhO-nAdanAmakriya; m.jhaMpe.

On sunday she has released two more CD/cassette's as below:

shrI rAjarAjEshvarIM:

1. mahAgaNapatiM-amRutavAhini; Adi
2. bhUribhAgyalaharIM-pratApavarALi; Adi.
3. shrI rAjarAjZZEshvarIM-lalita; rUpaka.
4. bRuhannAyaki-nAyaki; Adi.
5. bAlakRuShNaM-nIlavENi; Adi.
6. vAmadEvaM-vAgadhIshvara; Adi.
7. mAtaMgakanyAM-shuddhatODi; K-tripuTa.
8. shrI cAmuMDEshvarIM -madhyamAvati; Adi

kAmAkShIM varalakShIM

1. gaM gaNapatE-nAgasvarAvaLi; K-tripuTa.
2. aMbujAkShi- siMhavAhini; Adi
3. kAmAkShIM varalakShIM- vasaMta; rUpaka.
4. shaMkari sadA-mALavi; Adi.
5. svAminAtha -cArukEshi; K-tripuTa.
6. vaMdE jagadaMbike- vasaMta bhairavi; K-JaMpe.
7. suranaMdinIM-suranaMdini; Adi.
8. kShIrasAgara -mAyamALavagauLa; c-dhRuva

all the above kRuti's are sung by Dr.SK and her daughter vidushi sumanA vEdAMt.
all the three CD's are produced by sri sai pRashanthi Educational Trust (R), Bangalore.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

dear rasikas,

at long last with great help from cool and his friend i have been able to u/l a part of the dance sequence of kamalAMbike. please see this and let me know if i should continue to do this. this may take several such u/l to complete one video clip !

http://rapidshare.de/files/7962199/K1.MPG.html

happy viewng.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks RC
Could you provide an e-mail to contact to order these CD's?
Congratulations to you and coolkarni for the successful video clip! Look forward to more interesting materials on that front!

meena

Post by meena »

RC/kji
thanks for the video clip.
RC who is Smt. Radhika Nanada Kumar dance guru?

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

RC - The clip is very good. Please do proceed with uploading...

Cheers
Ninja

prashant

Post by prashant »

I would also appreciate knowing how to lay my hands on these CDs.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Thank you.

I will try and u/l more clips in due course.

Here is an account on Nanadakumar's:

Sri. Nanada Kumar is a Natural Musician. He is the fourth generation musician in the paramapara of St.Tyahgaraja; Great Grandson of the great Pallavi Ramalingappa, grandson of musician couple Ramaiah-Varalkshmi, son and disciple of Mahamahopadhyaya Dr.R.Satyanarayana.

Sri. Nanda Kumar has many interesting dimensions: he is adept in yoga, in Srividya Tantra {Kadimarga} and he is a wizard in predictive Astrology.

He has carried out extensive research into the musical heritage of the great Haridasas of Karnataka; he has thus restored to the present such precious, rare and exquisite forms such, as Gadya, Dandaka, Suladi, Vrittanam, Bhramaragita, Kriti archetypes, Mundige, and Gundakriya. His has done Doctoral thesis on a Study of Sri Sripadaraya's Contribution to Karnataka Music.

Smt. Radhika Nanadkumar is an exponent of Mysore style Bharatanatyam.(First Bharatanatyam School was started by the legendary Ruler of Mysore Ranadheera Kanteerava Narasaraja Wodeyar in 1640?s at Sriranagapatna). Smt. Radhika Nanadakumar has learnt Bharatanatyam from her mother.

Family runs a Trust known as Brahmavidya at Mysore and is teaching classical arts of Bharatanatyam and Carnatic music etc.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Regarding the CD's i do not have any e-mail address.

i will try and contact Dr.SK and see if i can get her permission to u/l Or find other avenues of reaching out. The basic problem in mailing these CD's is the prohibitive cost of Airmail cost which works more than the actual cost of CD itself. If any one has any suggestion on this count , kindly let me know.

meena

Post by meena »

RC thanks for the info.

Regarding the cds, "i think", the fellow rasikas just want to know where one could order or purchase these cds.