is c=1 kattai shruthi or is c slightly higher than 1 kattai

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
baradu2

Post by baradu2 »

is c=1 kattai shruthi or is c slightly higher than 1 kattai shruthi?

mohan

Post by mohan »

c=1

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I was wondering, would C be considered low for a male?
I know that its important to sing on whats comfortable but most male artists and upcoming singers these days seem to be singing between 1.5-2.5 (C#-D#)

nmdharan

Post by nmdharan »

In theory it is said that men can comfortably reach melstayi pa by having the adara sruti as 1 or 1.5. I think it would be a strain to the voice to reach mel pa when singing in 2.5!! But ofcourse it is upto the persons comfort to choose his own sruti.

thenpaanan

Re: is c=1 kattai shruthi or is c slightly higher than 1 kattai

Post by thenpaanan »

I have always wondered whether the notion of 1 kattai is a scientifically fixed frequency or just from common usage (in which case the actual frequency may vary within some small band). Is it just a happy coincidence that the value of 1 kattai and the scientifically fixed value (at some point in recent history) of middle C were close enough to be equated. Perhaps the convergence happened with the harmonium which has been in vogue in CM at least since early 1900s?

-Then Paanan

mkranthikiran

Post by mkranthikiran »

thenpaanan wrote:I have always wondered whether the notion of 1 kattai is a scientifically fixed frequency or just from common usage (in which case the actual frequency may vary within some small band). Is it just a happy coincidence that the value of 1 kattai and the scientifically fixed value (at some point in recent history) of middle C were close enough to be equated. Perhaps the convergence happened with the harmonium which has been in vogue in CM at least since early 1900s?

-Then Paanan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Aruti_(music)

Kiran

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Kiran

No luck with the url given...wikipedia says no such link....can you pl help?

Cheers

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

thenpaanan wrote:I have always wondered whether the notion of 1 kattai is a scientifically fixed frequency or just from common usage (in which case the actual frequency may vary within some small band). Is it just a happy coincidence that the value of 1 kattai and the scientifically fixed value (at some point in recent history) of middle C were close enough to be equated. Perhaps the convergence happened with the harmonium which has been in vogue in CM at least since early 1900s?

-Then Paanan
That raises an interesting question. In the west, "A" is assigned the frequency of 440 Hz and all other notes are derived accordingly. (Some European orchestras reportedly tune to 442, that aside). What's our reference pitch and frequency?

We all know carnatic tuning system is quite different from Equal Temperament. If we assume 440 HZ as A (6 Kattai), 1 Kattai may not coincide with C (which will be near Antara Ghandaram in 6 Kattai Sruti)