listening carnatic kutcheri

Ideas and innovations in Indian classical music
key

Post by key »

can any one suggest me how to listen a kutcheri , when (and what is ) will a niraval , swaram appear , what is kizhkallam and malekallam , what is a vivvadhi , when is a tishram used , etc etc etc., i am a ordinary basic listener ( layman) in carnatic music. going to concerts for 3 years regularly , hearing in LPs , cassette and cds started from my younger days.
Last edited by key on 16 Jan 2010, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Key, I have been listening to carnatic music for maybe 15 years or more, and yet I too am still unsure of of many basic things, like the division of the song into its parts, and which part is being sung at any one time. There are expert rasikas on this forum who, with fewer years, are able to list songs, ragas, and discuss concerts with erudition, where I just give my subjective, emotional response. We all travel the learning curve at different rates. Of course, it is true too that some put in greater effort and concentration.

Please be happy, which is the prime purpose of listening to music! The details will reveal themselves in time. My particular advancement of this season is that I noticed myself simply knowing that neraval or swara was about to come. Just one small advance! I'm a layman too, although, having been to mridangam class, I ought to be a layaman!

What you can't expect, really, is for anyone to answer your post with "the book on carnatic music for beginners" --- because you ask about almost everything! I've found that, in different forums on different subjects, that the best results come from more specific enquiries.

There is so much information here already, and elsewhere on the net --- and even google/wikipedia will help with many of the basic definitions! I don't recall where to find them, but there are at least a couple of comprehensive primers that are well worth reading.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Layman layAman Nick,
Atleast you are a layAman as opposed to this layAless lass!
I know how to enjoy a good concert and am a veteran at that. I think key already knows how to, too. As you say, we gather knowledge as we flow along with the music, over the years. All that you learn can aid you, but can hinder too, if you are very conscious of every technical detail of CM while you are listening to a concert. Others may not agree with me. As a writer, I'm not aware of many things about what I write--as to what is going to come next, who all are going to inhabit that piece of work and so on. After I finish the same, I can see how everything fell into place, and with what purpose. The same way, after I listen to a concert, I may ponder on the details. Then again, there are those who make a detailed blueprint before they start a work. The same may apply to some who listen and analyze at the same time!

arasi

Post by arasi »

The same applies to performers too, I guess!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Since this laya business has come up ;)

Frankly, I wouldn't even bother to ever keep talam in a concert had I not been a music student, and one who still finds it difficult, sometimes, to find that count, but feel obliged to try. What does being able to delineate the rhythm cycles add to the enjoyment of the music? I don't believe it adds anything at all! Even when there are complex calculations going on, it is the musical end result that matters, not the sums!

When the music is at its most sublime, my toe can follow the beat if it feels so inclined; my mind has better things to do!

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2010, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

cameo

Post by cameo »

let me be a bit specific with what is being discussed in this thread..

if this topic is already being discussed, pardon me for my ignorance and impatience in searching that thread, and please kick me and my post to that thread.. :)

how to enjoy thaniavarthanam??

I've been enjoying concerts for just a couple of years (as a layman) , and though i dont understand what happens during thani, I make sure that i completely watch it, just to listen those deligthing tones the instruments produce. And now I would like to know how would someone enjoys its techincal nuances too, or is it possible without any basic knowledge ?

Thanks,

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think you'll find several threads here which help understand the structure of the thani, but even the thani is, first and foremost, music, and any thani that cannot be enjoyed without understanding the maths behind it it not, to me, a good one.