paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
cienu

#26 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by cienu » 23 Apr 2010, 11:20

rajeshnat wrote:............maharAjapuram Vishwanatha Iyer's kamAs rendition before vasudevacharyA , where vasudevAcharya told MVI's rendition was like a rich bride even though when he tuned she was not as rich.
If I am not mistaken, this was after an MS concert where MV is reported to have asked MS " Idhu Naan Potta Paatta ? "
This incident finds mention in Gowri Ramnarayan's "MS & Radha - Saga of Steadfast Devotion" - page No 172:

I quote the relevant passage from the book as follows:

" That MS did more than justice to the composition was clear when after her concert at Kalakshetra where she sang his Khamas Kriti "Brochevarevarura" composer Mysore Vasudevachar close to 90 took the mike to say " I feel like the poor father who sent his daughter to her husband's house in black beads and glass bangles, but watched her return in a dazzle of silk and gems."

Unquote
0 x

Gamakam

#28 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by Gamakam » 23 Apr 2010, 12:10

cienu wrote:............maharAjapuram Vishwanatha Iyer's kamAs rendition before vasudevacharyA , where vasudevAcharya told MVI's rendition was like a rich bride even though when he tuned she was not as rich.

If I am not mistaken, this was after an MS concert where MV is reported to have asked MS " Idhu Naan Potta Paatta ? "
This incident finds mention in Gowri Ramnarayan's "MS & Radha - Saga of Steadfast Devotion" - page No 172:

Unquote
Cienu: The same incident is mentioned to have happened after the renditions of MVI, GNB and as you rightly point out MS.

When I interviewed S.Rajam's reminiscences, he recalled this incident as the one happened after a MVI concert and he also mentioned that he was present when MV showered accolades on MVI.

I would tend to go with him as that is the only version that seems to have some first hand information:-)
0 x

dikshitarbhaktha

#29 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by dikshitarbhaktha » 23 Apr 2010, 16:55

Thanks for the recording. Heard the first part.
Faithful xerox of the guru :-)
Very talented youngster who has undoubtedly put in effort to master music...but, being a duplicate copy wouldn't suffice :-(
To put it bluntly, I would rather listen to an old KVN concert :(
Sad that such a talented youngster has still not found his own style....Keep up the hard work.
Apologies for the harsh words.
0 x

cienu

#30 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by cienu » 23 Apr 2010, 17:17

dikshitarbhaktha wrote:Thanks for the recording. Heard the first part.
Faithful xerox of the guru :-)
Very talented youngster who has undoubtedly put in effort to master music...but, being a duplicate copy wouldn't suffice :-(
To put it bluntly, I would rather listen to an old KVN concert :(
Sad that such a talented youngster has still not found his own style....Keep up the hard work.
Apologies for the harsh words.
Hello dikshitarbhaktha,
Don’t you feel that you are being a bit insensitive ? Why use harsh words in the first place and then apologise ? Pattabhirama Pandit is a young musician , a KVN: disciple and he will emerge as an eminent musician in his own right in the years to come.
After all did not the great musician from Palghat too have to go through the grind before emerging out of the shadows of the distinguished Ariyakudi. ?
0 x

dikshitarbhaktha

#31 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by dikshitarbhaktha » 23 Apr 2010, 18:02

Well, I might sound harsh but isn't it better to offer the youngster the forthright comments _now_ rather than later when it might be too late for course correction?
Honestly, I was stunned when I heard the Viriboni varnam - it was just like a KVN old tape...same vocalization..same stress...etc.
guru's bani is good to have but guru's 100% vocalization ends up being imitation.
if you listen to kvn's early concerts (earliest i have heard is early 60s) - it is distinct vocalization but steeped in his guru iyengarval's bani....
nevertheless good work pattabhi.
0 x

semmu86

#32 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by semmu86 » 23 Apr 2010, 19:56

cienu wrote:
" That MS did more than justice to the composition was clear when after her concert at Kalakshetra where she sang his Khamas Kriti "Brochevarevarura" composer Mysore Vasudevachar close to 90 took the mike to say " I feel like the poor father who sent his daughter to her husband's house in black beads and glass bangles, but watched her return in a dazzle of silk and gems."
Cienu sir , this comment about MV on MVI finds a place in the documentary of MVI , which used to be broadcasted in DD long time ago . If someone is interested , i can post that documentary . It has a few lines of immortal "Brochevarevarura" & "ilalO " sung by MVI and some priceless photos of MVI with TNR..
0 x

mahesh3

#33 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by mahesh3 » 24 Apr 2010, 06:11

diskhitharbhaktha, Clearly u have no clue what u r talking about. Pandit is in no way a carbon copy. While the songs he chooses are classic KVN school, his swara patterns, his extensive sangathi selections, differential brigha/akara modulations and the additional kanakku he brings are definitely a notch higher in mix than KVN ever preferred. And, I dont even want to get into speed and pace of concert. KVN was slower in pace and tempo. Additionally, KVN's alapanas were not as expansive, neither were his swaras as long in duration. Pandit is very much original, his applications beautiful and irrespective of your opinions, he will do well. The younger generation be it Pandit, Abhishek or anyone new for that matter dont need either your consent or so called "goodwill". Your words are tiring, hateful and just suck! Sorry for being harsh, but your pearls of wisdom dont really count!
Last edited by mahesh3 on 24 Apr 2010, 06:36, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

uday_shankar

#34 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by uday_shankar » 24 Apr 2010, 06:14

Gowri Ramnarayan's book is not a casual blog :). So any incident mentioned in her book would have been thoroughly vetted. On the other hand, the MVI story rings true from multiple sources too.

Conclusion: Shri Mysore Vasudevachar repeated the story on two separate occasions (perhaps more !) ... once in the 30's with respect to MVI and again around 1950 with respect to MS. All of them MVI, GNB and MS have brought sparkle and glory to the song in their own way. So perhaps Shri Vasudevachar should consider the Draupadi model for the song.

Obviously no insult to Shri Vasudevachar but keep in mind that men, especially old men, tend to repeat themselves often....repeat themselves often...repeat themselves...
0 x

Jigyaasa

#35 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by Jigyaasa » 24 Apr 2010, 06:28

ksrimech wrote: karunAbayOnidhE - repository of "Compassion" & "Scare"; This is not correct!
This is not correct either... That would have to karuNAbHayanidhE...
0 x

dikshitarbhaktha

#36 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by dikshitarbhaktha » 24 Apr 2010, 09:03

mahesh3 wrote:diskhitharbhaktha, Clearly u have no clue what u r talking about. Pandit is in no way a carbon copy. While the songs he chooses are classic KVN school, his swara patterns, his extensive sangathi selections, differential brigha/akara modulations and the additional kanakku he brings are definitely a notch higher in mix than KVN ever preferred. And, I dont even want to get into speed and pace of concert. KVN was slower in pace and tempo. Additionally, KVN's alapanas were not as expansive, neither were his swaras as long in duration. Pandit is very much original, his applications beautiful and irrespective of your opinions, he will do well. The younger generation be it Pandit, Abhishek or anyone new for that matter dont need either your consent or so called "goodwill". Your words are tiring, hateful and just suck! Sorry for being harsh, but your pearls of wisdom dont really count!

I rest my case - no point having a view and trying honestly to express it.

Regards,
Balasubramaniam.
0 x

rajeshnat

#37 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by rajeshnat » 24 Apr 2010, 13:08

uday_shankar wrote: Conclusion: Shri Mysore Vasudevachar repeated the story on two separate occasions (perhaps more !) ... once in the 30's with respect to MVI and again around 1950 with respect to MS. All of them MVI, GNB and MS have brought sparkle and glory to the song in their own way. So perhaps Shri Vasudevachar should consider the Draupadi model for the song.

Obviously no insult to Shri Vasudevachar but keep in mind that men, especially old men, tend to repeat themselves often....repeat themselves often...repeat themselves...
In the third part recording of the concert ,asthika samAjam Narasimhan talks about this incident ,wherein he was there in a sabha in mambalam where MVI was singing and vasudevAcharya talks about the incident . Possibly on the same day S.rAjam also was there(that gamakam has mentioned) , or may be for almost all brochEvA revura renditions when vasudevAcharya was there he may have told this incident, afterall the rAga is only commas right so he can repeat it again , again and again.. :$ ..

If at all shri vasudevAcharya lived another 18 years like a japanease thAtha for 114 years till 1979 , he would have seen the movie shankarAbharanam and hugged SPB for his brilliant rendition of brochevA , a terrific number , a real run for money for GNB,MM,MS and MVI.
0 x

sureshvv

#38 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by sureshvv » 24 Apr 2010, 13:17

dikshitarbhaktha wrote: I rest my case - no point having a view and trying honestly to express it.
I don't think your honesty is questioned or doubted. Your comments come out as unduly harsh towards a young upcoming musician on the threshold of popularity . And reveal a certain naivete' to believe that "originality" will be encouraged (or even tolerated) from a musician just beginning to making a mark for himself in an art steeped in tradition such as Carnatic Music.
0 x

rajeshnat

#39 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,2010

Post by rajeshnat » 24 Apr 2010, 13:22

The part 3 recording of the concert ends with the nalinakAnthi rAgamAliga as we ran out of tape. As per coolkarni ,We have additionally recorded in a mobile device also . The second half of nalinAkanthi rAgamAliga (he sings it twice),revati and bilahari ragamAliga swaras and all the remaining tukkadas, we will upload it and will keep you all posted once when done.
0 x

rkiran

#40 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,

Post by rkiran » 17 Oct 2011, 00:43

Hello,

Just came across this thread. I would love to listen to this concert. However, the dropbox links don't work anymore. Can anybody that recorded this concert upload the full concert again - preferably to mediafire.

Thanks in anticipation!
-rkiran.
0 x

rajeshnat

#41 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,

Post by rajeshnat » 17 Oct 2011, 15:58

rkiran wrote:Hello,

Just came across this thread. I would love to listen to this concert. However, the dropbox links don't work anymore. Can anybody that recorded this concert upload the full concert again - preferably to mediafire.

Thanks in anticipation!
-rkiran.
Rkiran
I have reuploaded.The concert upload is available only till half of pallavi swaras
http://www.mediafire.com/?w2d92ju8dquv2xa
0 x

rkiran

#42 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,

Post by rkiran » 20 Oct 2011, 17:17

rajeshnat,

Thanks very much for the upload! Were you able to get the rest of the concert that you had recorded on a mobile device?

Thanks,
rkiran.
0 x

kalyani_ragam

#43 Re: paTTabhirAma [email protected](crt #19)on April 17th,

Post by kalyani_ragam » 20 Oct 2011, 19:55

uday_shankar wrote:Gowri Ramnarayan's book is not a casual blog :). So any incident mentioned in her book would have been thoroughly vetted. On the other hand, the MVI story rings true from multiple sources too.

Conclusion: Shri Mysore Vasudevachar repeated the story on two separate occasions (perhaps more !) ... once in the 30's with respect to MVI and again around 1950 with respect to MS. All of them MVI, GNB and MS have brought sparkle and glory to the song in their own way. So perhaps Shri Vasudevachar should consider the Draupadi model for the song.

I would go one step further to say that this kriti is one which is SO BEAUTIFUL irrespective of who sings it :)
0 x