Nottuswaram

Rāga related discussions
SriramCarnatic

Nottuswaram

Post by SriramCarnatic »

Nottu swaram, I think they are generally in Shankarabharanam. But why is that, when nottu swaram is sung, a feel of western music comes but if a singer sings some kalpana swaram in say Saroja dala netri or manasu swaadheenamai, we don't get the feel of western music. Instead, a pure carnatic music feeling arises. Why is this so?

So can anyone tell me, what is the thing that gives the feel of western or carnatic music?

ragam-talam

Re: Nottuswaram

Post by ragam-talam »

The use of gamakam is the crucial difference.
With gamakam, it sounds Carnatic; without it, it sounds Western.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I think the noTTusvarams have to presented without the ornamentation that converts the scale into SankarAbharaNam. I have heard people try to 'carnAtic-ise' these sweet compositions (if you know what I mean), and in the process they lose their charm, their gaiety, and the rhythm that is inherent to them (IMO)...

SriramCarnatic

Post by SriramCarnatic »

@ragam-talam,
I don't think that Gamakam is the difference....

Because I play keyboard(piano...)
And only very little Gamakam is possible in that...
Also, I am trained only in Carnatic music and not in western.

So when I try to play a kriti in Shankarabharanam, I hear only the carnatic Shankarabharanam(even with very little gamakam)
And I get western feel only when i play nottuswaram...

And I think, gamakam is there in western music also...
They call it vibrato, if I am not wrong.
There is some other difference... I trust

SriramCarnatic

Post by SriramCarnatic »

Somebody, please answer me

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The nottuswara compositions tend to have more jumps in swaras than is typical in CM shankarabharanam. That also contributes to the western feel. Remember, the swaras are pretty much same as the tunes Sri. MD heard, he slapped some sahityas on them. There are also a bit more quick turns and the rhythmic structure is also different.

I would not take out the effect of the gamakam altogether.

And more significantly, as we all know, ragas are characterized not by the scales but by a combination of prayogas, jeeva swaras, resting and kArvai swaras, gamakams, special poDi swaras here and there etc. These nottuswaras do not have any of that.

I will try to play around one of these nottuswara compositions and if I get anything illustrative, I will post.