Shertalai Ranganatha Sarma

Carnatic Musicians
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

A senior vidwan, very scholarly singing style. He teaches music somewhere in south India.
More information on this vidwan would be very welcome.

I noticed he is singing at 2 sabhas during the season (on the same day). I would strongly encourage rasikas here to attend his concerts.

================================================
SABHA: Sri Krishna Gana Sabha
Dr. Nalli Gana Vihar 20, Maharajapuram Santhanam Salai, T Nagar,
Chennai-17
DATE TIME ARTIST PROGRAMME
21/12/06 9:30 am Shertalai Ranganatha Sarma Vocal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SABHA: Kalarasana
VENUE: Rani Seethai Hall
603,Anna Salai, Chennai- 600 006 (Near Gemini Flyover)
DATE TIME ARTIST PROGRAMME
21/12/06 5:00 pm Shertallai K. N. Ranganatha Sarma Vocal
================================================

In case anyone gets to attend his concerts, please do post reviews here.

Any chance of getting access to audio clips of his recordings? Perhaps Santa-ji can help? :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mohan,
Isn't he the same person who sings and composes for Ms. Malavaka Sarukkai?

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

I have introduced sharmaji in raga thread and u/ld the main piece he sang at this years navarathri mandapam(todi)
Very good friend of mine,visits my home whenever he comes to thrissur side and despite his tight schedule sings for me.I have visited his place in madurai and got most of lalgudi varnas and tillanas recorded.
Indeed a true vidwan.
One of his concert is available commercially.
he does not sing for malavika or for any other dancer
Last edited by Radhakrishnan on 16 Dec 2006, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

mishram

Post by mishram »

He works at Sadguru Sangeetha Vidyalayam, madurai and unfortunately such a great vidwan (technically fine) works under a very mediocre (should I say way way way meddiocre) principal!! Have heard several concerts of his and his manodharma is superb and as always, kerala's modesty written all over him. A great human being and a guru.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

RK-ji, you truly are a magician! And to think it was held in my favourite place Thrissur! Enna tavam sheitheno...

Njan vaLare kritArthanANu.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

<<kerala's modesty written all over him.>>
Lovely phrasing indeed.
(but Sreesanth may not agree! :))
Last edited by jayaram on 18 Dec 2006, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Sharmaji’s father shri.Narayana Iyer,passed away at Cherthala yesterday at the age of 84.Musician himself,he was the guru of Sharmaji. I have met him once at Madurai and was amazed to know his musical knowledge.He had attended many concerts of the great artists and described how GNB came for a concert, meticulously dressed,the majestic walk to the dais…
Like sharmaji, he too was a humble person.
May his soul rest in peace.

Sureshpswaran

Shertallay K.N.Ranganatha Sharma

Post by Sureshpswaran »

Dr.K.N.Ranganatha Sharma is a renowned carnatic musician from Kerala. Born in 1966 to Shri.Narayana Iyer and Lakshmi Ammal. He had started his musical training under Guru Kula Sampradaya from his late father, who belong to the Semmagudi School of music.

He holds M.Phil from Madras University and a PhD from Maduari Kamaraj University and currently working as a Associate Professor with Madurai Kamaraj University.

In this Music season 2010 he has performed in Music Academy, Narada Gana Sabha & Krishna Gana Sabha of which
he won the Best Sub Senior Vocalist award from Music Academy 2010.

Last year too (2009) the Maharajapuram Santhanam Trust conferred Meritorious Excellence Award

rajeshnat

Re: Shertallay K.N.Ranganatha Sharma

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods, duplicate thread merge the above post with the below thread
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... =shertalai

nri

Post by nri »

Listening to a radio concert of Shri K N Ranganatha Sharma. Good singing, powerful voice and not so often heard song list. Appears like the artist is very much active in concert circles and in teaching. Strange that not a single concert of him is reviewed in Rasikas!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nri wrote:Strange that not a single concert of him is reviewed in Rasikas!
There are two concerts of his reviewed . Use the search to see them

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

He performed at Karthyayani temple,Pazhaya nadakkavu,Thrissur last year during navarathri.When I requested him to sing janani ninnu vina,he smiled,because some other rasika had also requested the same! He did sing this piece elaborately.Here is an audio clip from that concert,essence of reethigoula.
https://rapidshare.com/files/3951550568 ... ji_tsr.mp3

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

04-shrI_kAmakOti_pItashithE-sAvEri-Adhi-Shertallay K.N.Ranganatha Sharma-MysUru_sadhAshiva_rAo.( courtesy..Kasturi)

04-shrI_kAmakOti_pItashithE-sAvEri-Adhi-Shertallay K.N.Ranganatha Sharma-MysUru_sadhAshiva_rAo.mp3 - 33.9 Mb

harimau

Post by harimau »

Sureshpswaran wrote:
In this Music season 2010 he has performed in Music Academy, Narada Gana Sabha & Krishna Gana Sabha of which he won the Best Sub Senior Vocalist award from Music Academy 2010.
That particular concert was noteworthy for several reasons.

Sri Renganatha Sarma left the Madipakkam/Nanganallur area where he was staying early enough. From what I hear, his vehicle had a minor scrape and he was delayed.

By the time he reached Saidapet, there was a sudden strike and buses were parked all over the road blocking traffic.

He reached the Academy 30 minutes late for his concert.

One would think any musician has a right to be flustered at what happened.

Sri Sarma got on the stage and gave a necessarily abbreviated kutcheri. It was nothing short of brilliant.

After the concert, he got a long tongue-lashing from N. Murali for being late who would not listen to any explanation provided by Sri Sarma.

One would think that some of this would have weighed on the anonymous judges who were rating the concerts.

Sri Sarma not only was selected Best Sub-senior Vocalist at the Academy, he was promoted to the Senior slot in 2011. :clap:

He, along with musicians like Pantula Rama, has a kick-down-the-doors-and-take-no-prisoners approach to classical music. Both have broken into the Madras music scene and taken the city by storm. "Here is my music; it is as traditional as I know how to make it. Take it or leave it" seems to be their philosophy. There is no compromise for the sake of the uninitiated, no pandering to the audience.

You get honest music from such musicians. But then the crowd in Chennai would rather wait in long lines to hear songs about snakes, cows, monkeys (and I don't mean Hanuman here) and other assorted animals.

harimau

Post by harimau »

nri wrote:
Listening to a radio concert of Shri K N Ranganatha Sharma. Good singing, powerful voice and not so often heard song list. Appears like the artist is very much active in concert circles and in teaching. Strange that not a single concert of him is reviewed in Rasikas!
You got a reply about how a measly 2 concerts of his has been reviewed here.

You have to realize that most of the crowd goes to name-brands in concerts. Or write reviews about their favorite artists.

Sri Sarma had been performing in out-of-the-way places like Asthika Samajam, Tiruvanmiyur before breaking into the Music Academy. But that doesn't mean people will go to his concert now that he has finally arrived. They would rather ask how they can get a recording of someone who can't seem to make up his mind whether he is singing Carnatic or Hindusthani music than listen to straightforward Carnatic music like we used to get from stalwarts.

rajeshnat

Re: Shertalai Ranganatha Sarma

Post by rajeshnat »

I had reviewed his vanimahal concerrt of his , what I liked in general is his vocal power of his sangathi , there is just incredible clarity and it is not that he is shouting . On a side note harimau's reference of his music academy 2010, that concert is there in sangeetha priya , IIRC he had sung inta sowkya as main. personally I would not think that exceptional about that particular concert of academy 2010.

Nevertheless in general with these kerala based musicians they are underplaying themselves and they have a problem in general with "marketing" themselves which is not optional but mandatory. This has not got to do anything with chennai sabha domination etc , other state etc blah blah , they have to spend time on marketing . MAy be sreevalsan menon is bit ok in marketing , other than ranganatha sharma , there is another real star who is V R Dileep kumar.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 26 Aug 2012, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

write reviews about their favorite artists
Harimau, well, not quite true..you have written reviews of your not so favorite artists. ;)

May be you should also write straight reviews of concerts of your favorite artists, like in this case Sri. Ranganatha Sharma .

Different people are parochial ( using the strict dictionary definition stripped of any value judgement "Having a limited or narrow outlook or scope" ) on different aspects. Some based on their own definition of classicism like you, others based on 'brand' or familiarity, others based on region etc. Parochialism at the individual level is common, natural, expected and even understandable as a 'comfort zone' and usually not a problem as long as it does not raise to the level of prejudice. But when that gets ingrained in the 'culture' and 'habits' of a tens of thousands of people, that is when it is hard to shake.

If I may take a small detour...Rasikas with diverse tastes and exposure talking about music, artists and performances make a big difference in this parochialism aspect. I have heard enough anecdotal evidence from others to support this. In addition, over the years, I have broken down my own shackles. Such shackles cut both ways, things I like and things I do not like, if you can relate to that. Some people may assume that such mingling and talking puts a dent in what you enjoy ( like your favorite artist getting trashed here ). My own personal experience has been the complete opposite of that. With interactions like in this forum, I am much more self-aware now of what music I enjoy and why on my own terms, rather than just due to cultural conditioning, which we are all victims of.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

" But then the crowd in Chennai would rather wait in long lines to hear songs about snakes, cows, monkeys (and I don't mean Hanuman here) and other assorted animals."

I consider it a bit unrefined...It is sweeping remark not only about the rasikas in chennai... but by implication reflection on renowned Artists..

( in between by implication saying that they are dishonest..)

and perhaps about composers as well....

regret usage of language... :o

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

rajeshnat wrote:
Nevertheless in general with these kerala based musicians they are underplaying themselves and they have a problem in general with "marketing" themselves which is not optional but mandatory. This has not got to do anything with chennai sabha domination etc , other state etc blah blah , they have to spend time on marketing . MAy be sreevalsan menon is bit ok in marketing , other than ranganatha sharma , there is another real star who is V R Dileep kumar.
Dileep was born and brought up at a small village in Thrissur, belonging to a humble family.There was a suggestion 25 years ago that he should go to Chennai for further studies and to get more exposure,but he continued study under Mangat Natesan sir,Thrissur.
Sreevalsan is also from Thrissur(though his parents are from Palakkad),but he belongs to an aristocratic family with more exposure to the outer world and was lucky to get a guru like Neyyattinkara Vasudevan sir.He has accompanied his guru for many concerts all over India and in US.Sreevalsan is a regular performer at Music academy,but it was his guru who introduced him there,in late 80s and early 90s,when Neyyattinakara performed there.Phd holder in Agriculture,he works with Kerala Agricultural University.
Sharma is from Alappuzha,belongs to a humble family,but his father himself was a musician,which helped a lot.He studied at Chittur college,Palakkad took Phd from Madras university.He prefers to stay away from Chennai music circle and not a kind of person who goes after sabha people to get concerts,nor the money he gets.Recalling one instance,regarding payment by a sabha in kerala,he said he is not bothered especially sabha concerts,and this particular sabha paid somethinglike Rs2000(he noticed two or three 500 rupee notes in the envelope!)
There are indeed excellent musicians in kerala unknown to Chennai.vioilinist T.H.Subramaniam for instance.He is not only good as an accompanist, but a brilliant soloist also.He works with AIR.

sruthi

Post by sruthi »

A one-hour concert of Sri Renganatha Sharma can be found here:
http://youtu.be/BFRSvLTkXTw

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*nice concert.
*want to know the composer for Todi kriti.
*raga for meera bhajan &he next one sai bhajan(vasant bahar?)

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

>want to know the composer for Todi kriti.

OVK

http://www.reocities.com/vc_sekaran/Oot ... #venu_gana