Music Degree

To teach and learn Indian classical music
shobanasree

Post by shobanasree »

Hi,
I wish to do degree certification in Music. I learnt veena instrument for about 10yrs. For past 2 years I had a gap. Now I prefer to do certification in Music as a distant education course. Can anyone suggest me a best institution which offer me this course.

Thanks & Regards,
Shobana

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

BA Music and MA music both are offered thru correspondence course by Madras University. You can try there. Chek up with MYSORE University also. Most of the professional musicians do their certification or degree equivalent course with Gandharva Vidyalaya also.

musiclover

Post by musiclover »

doing a music degree is just for thecertificate and has no value. but it is important to aquire as much knowledge as possible in music and it never ends.. it is an ocean. what does a degree give us??? only to fool people and make them believe that we are masters of music.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

If these music diplomas are like diplomas from other disciplines, here is how it should play out.

The little piece of paper and a title is only worth as much as the reputation of the institution granting that diploma. From the demand side pov ( the organizers ), if it is from a reputed institution, it gives an idea about the capabilities of the artist and help the organizers get at a short list in quick time. It also helps them save the blushes and cover their behind in case it did not quite work out in actual concert. For the musicians, it helps them get their foot in the door, anything beyond that is based on their vidwat.

giva

Post by giva »

i would like to know if any body conducts music classes in london.if so the contact no and e mail id please

musiclover

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother & sister-members, It is not at all right to tell that doing a Degree is of no value at all. Music is an ocean. That is true. But, in assessing the knowledge of a person, his/her degree helps a lot in spite of his/her true knowledge. There is nothing wrong in getting a Degree. It is an aim and the acquirer works hard to reach it. It is a welcome and we should encourage such people in every manner.
Dear (hope) sister-member, shobanasree, Please proceed and I wish you a grand success in your pilgrimage. But, learning only for getting a mere Degree is not at all right. As per your own versioin, in spite of a 2 yrs. gap, you have a very nice background of 10 yrs. of Veena play. However, can you assess your level in music yourself? Then, (if you don’t mistake me to make you sing such a primary exercises like Alankaras) can you sing successfully the 3rd degree direct of both the Ata and Triputa-tala Alankaras along with Trisra-gati, can you write the notation of any Kriti, can you get a Kriti by heart by going through a Kriti given in notation, can you demonstrate a Varna in the speed @ 1-unit per second and can you play successfully both the Purvanga and Uttaranga of a Varna in the speed @ 4, 6 8-units per each second? How much duration can you play of any Raga, Kriti of your choice along with Svarakalpana in two degrees of speed and also in Trisra-gati? If you answer these questions I may rougly be able to assess your knowledge in practical music, to guide you if at all you need, leave alone the theoritical music.Wishing you all the best, amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 01 Apr 2007, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

sulochana

Post by sulochana »

Hi Giva
Pls contact the Santhalaya Arts Foundation in London for music classes. Please post your email id for further details.

saradha

Post by saradha »

I would like to know from Sulochana, if i could get a job of veena teacher, in the Santhalaya Arts Foundation in London, as I had learnt veena for 15 yrs. My email id is sarash999@yahoo.com.
Thanks and regards
Ms.Sarma

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

There are many Tamil organisations in London, as well as independent teachers, offering music tuition in carnatic music, mridangam, violin, veena, vocal, dance, etc etc.

If you can, try to see their students perform, and also try to get to se how they interact with their students to get an idea of whether they will suit for you. Perhaps this may not be so easy.

I once heard that London has more arrangetrams than any other city outside of India. But many of the teachers would readily admit that this has a lot to do with parental pressures, etc.

But, still, there are good teachers and many hard-working, dedicated, youngsters learning there.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

I am a post graduate in Carnatic Music. I wish to do P hd in muisc. The problem is I am in employment and will not be able to attend regular classes . i will be able to do from home with guidance from a University guide . My preferences will be Chennai based colleges. In case anyone is aware of such colleges in chennai that offers Phd in music - parttime . please let me know.

Thanks

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Post by gangar2758@vsnl.net »

poornashadjam wrote:I am a post graduate in Carnatic Music. I wish to do P hd in muisc. The problem is I am in employment and will not be able to attend regular classes . i will be able to do from home with guidance from a University guide . My preferences will be Chennai based colleges. In case anyone is aware of such colleges in chennai that offers Phd in music - parttime . please let me know.

Thanks
tried madras university?

gangar2758@vsnl.net

shobanasree wrote:Hi,
I wish to do degree certification in Music. I learnt veena instrument for about 10yrs. For past 2 years I had a gap. Now I prefer to do certification in Music as a distant education course. Can anyone suggest me a best institution which offer me this course.

Thanks & Regards,
Shobana
A PAPER QUALIFICATIONS IS DEFNITELY A STRENGTH. LAKSHANA -LAKSHYA VIDWAT IS A MUST FOR ENJOYING WHAT U LEARN
PLS MAIL TO ME

gangar2758@vsnl.net

PLS MAIL TO ME ganga.geetanjali@gmail.com
admissions to dist.edu. ug, pg, close on the 31st dec 2008
Last edited by gangar2758@vsnl.net on 25 Dec 2008, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

poornashadjam

Post by poornashadjam »

Gangar2758 , MAdras University does not offer part time Phd in Music . I will have to go in regular timings.

NS

gangar2758@vsnl.net

have u chkd with annamalai,kalaikaveri universities?

venkatag

Post by venkatag »

University of Madras is offering the distance learning program B Music and M Music. You can get some information from here:
http://www.unom.ac.in/

Tried contacting them for admission related info, but had no luck. If any one of you were able to succeed, pls share

thanks