Symposium and Performance

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.narthaki.com/preindex.html

If any of our members attend this, please post a review.
Thanks.

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

Ravi,

Do you mean the Bharata Nrityam performance/symposium? That does not provide a direct link.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes Umesh. The one by Smt. Bala Devi Chandrasekhar.

Umesh

Post by Umesh »

She is my former guru. I'm not attending the event as I leave NJ on Sunday, but I assure you there will be someone's review posted on narthaki later on-- there always is! Although, they're not usually very informative. If I hear anything interesting, will let you know.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Great! Let me know if you hear anything good!

sitaramau

Post by sitaramau »

CMANA is proud to have joined Shree Padma Nrityam Academy of performing Arts - SPNAPA in the symposium cum performance titled "Garland of Pearls from Great Composers" on the Jan 27th, 2007. The event titled ‘Garland of Pearls by great composers’ was presented by Sri Padma Nrityam Academy of Performing Arts in conjunction with the Princeton Historical Society. The program was funded by the NJ council for the humanities and supported by Carnatic Music Association of North America (CMANA). The event provided a large and diverse audience with a glimpse of the variety as well as the depth of classicism in Bharata Nrityam.

SPNAPA showcased the unique components of the dance form Bharata Nrityam and other nuances via the Exhibits. The scholarly panel discussion & lec-dem chaired by Patricia Mayer – Chair-Dept. of Dance, Mason Gross School of Arts, Rutgers University and Indira Peterson, Chair Adian Studies program, Mount Holyoke College was very informative and scholarly. The symposium beautifully flowed into a brilliantly carved dance presentation through the main Bharata Nrityam dance performance by Bala Devi Chandrashekar. SPNAPA showcased the depth of classicism through the grand Bharatha Nrityam tribute to the Great Composers.

The energy that Bala brought to each dance item was very enjoyable and contagious while the dynamic expressions were very artistic and meticulous. Be it the portrayal of the genesis of the Sapthswaras in Nada thanumanisam or the charming face of Sivakameswari or the rowdhram of Raavana or the rhythmic swinging of Hari's palanquin in Dolayam- there was a constant and strict adherence to the Dr. Padma Subramanyam style of Bharatha Nrityam which is distinct from other styles. The students upheld these traditions with dexterous footwork and depictions whether it was the calm face of Sita or the mischievous gait of the Vanaras.

Overall it was a well choreographed and conducted program - our congratulations to SPNAPA and its Founder/director Mrs. Bala Devi Chandrashekar

By: Sankar Narayan
Vice President – CMANA
(Carnatic Music Association of North America)
New Jersey