Veena Repair

To teach and learn Indian classical music
nadhasudha

Veena Repair

Post by nadhasudha »

I am looking for places where I can have a veena repaired - either in Midwest, Canada or in the New York Area if possible. If anyone of you know of any contacts or any musical instruments shops doing the repair, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

mahavishnu

Re: Veena Repair

Post by mahavishnu »

Nadhasudha, Do you just need re-waxing around the frets/rails or is there any damage to the body of the instrument?

If you just need basic repairs, then there is a place in the North York region of Toronto that undertakes work on string instruments in general. My sister has had some basic work done on her veenai with them. Here's their contact info
House of Raga, 462 McNicoll Ave., Toronto, ON Canada M2H 2E1 sales@houseofraga.net
Phone: 416-499-6122 or Toll free 1-877-817-RAGA(7242)

If you are looking in the midwest there is a place called Schneider guitars that is based out of Cincinnati, OH:
513-761-9434. I do not know how good they are, but a friend of mine who is an Indian guitarist based in Columbus recommended them.

If it is anything more complicated, my suggestion would be to take it to India. You could also ask Sreeni Raja Rao, who is better networked with vainikas in general. Isn't Nirmala Rajasekhar based in Detroit also?

Hope this helps.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Nadasudha,

I had made a mental note when I first read your post to get in touch with you but I have not had a chance to do that yet!

In the past, I have had some luck in connecting Khanjira vidvAn and veeNa repair expert A V Kashinath with veeNa enthusiasts in the U S.

A V Kashinath is from Bangalore (He is Harmonium Arunachalappa's Grandson and Vidvan A VeeraBhadrayya's son). He visits the US almost on an annual basis and in the past, he has helped out several people in Boston area, Ohio and also in Los Angeles area.

I know he visited U S in 2012. I will try to find out his plans for this year and see if it works out.

Mahavishnu,
Nirmala Rajasekhar is Minneapolis based - She is not from Detroit.

I have also heard about Schneider Guitars that you have mentioned!

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Mahavishnu - Thanks. Thankfully, the repairs are mostly minor- like re-waxing and I will touch base with House of Raga folks to see how they can help me. Nice to know that your sister was satisfied with their service. That helps.

Sreeni - Thanks . If veena repair expert A V kashinath does indeed make another trip in 2013, I would be interested in knowing if he can make a stop in the Detroit area. That would be awesome!

pvijay

Post by pvijay »

Any one knows of places that place guitar tuners on the veena and refret or adjust the frets around Washington DC, North Carolina or around that area in the USA
Thanks