Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Remembering musicians of the recent past
KMH

Re: Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by KMH »

Oops, Sorry. Here is the correct link (I Hope). http://www.mediafire.com/?d9bwuit49ira879

After checking the copyright bits, I will also upload videos of the concerts.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Hari,
Let me say you're a special person. God gives such experiences as you have narrated, only to people with sensitivity and dedication.
I look forward to the videos. Don't mind paying for them!

KMH

Post by KMH »

Rsachi,

Thanks, there is no doubt that the experience narrated had a huge impact on me. I took a fair while to come down from cloud nine! But being just a rasika, I have always been a bit diffident in the presence of the greats.

As for paying for the videos, siva siva, anartham! I talked about copyright in terms of whether I had the right to put these videos up in this forum without checking with the Lalgudi family. If someone would kindly advise me on the propriety, I would be honoured to share the videos. I am already working on splitting them into manageable chunks.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

My advice is to share it in parts via YouTube. That gives maximum reach and prevents commercial exploitation.

varsha

Post by varsha »

Rsachi wrote:My advice is to share it in parts via YouTube. That gives maximum reach and prevents commercial exploitation.
You can take it a step further. Checkout with Lalgudi family too see if they can bring it out commercially . That solves all the equations. If yes fine take that route .If no then check if you can help preserve his image for eternity by sharing.
Chances are they will agree .
Why do i say that ?
1.They are extremely intense about preserving and show casing this legacy . Very practical too .
2.The maestro himself once peeked into my voluminous collection of his music and exclaimed ...
(I swear to God , that he exclaimed)
There was a time I had thought of you folks as thieves (thiruda ) . I now accept , in hind sight , that it was a mistaken notion .You have done a service . Can I have these cds for myself ?

He clutched the cds to his bosom and took them back to his room . His almost - inaudible footsteps etched in my memory .
So there you are Sir. With a precious piece of history and eternity with you on those video tapes. Handle it with care.
Mahavishnu
For the records sake there are a few other memorable video concerts
1.Nanganallur Anjaneyar Koil concert which i helped locate and convert
2. Ernakulam concert - breathtakingly beautiful - in a setting that is wholly keralasque and cant get more chamberesque
3.Moscow concert which a lot of people have - which is also a great tool to study his technique - thanks to an alert cameraman
4.Mysore Palace concert
5.Tamil isai sangham concert at pollachi .It is the most representative stuff of the family performing together .
Viji breaks into song too , tugging at heart strings ,while the magician tunesmith looks on .
Will try and put that segment here . Will take the advice I have offered above myself and check with the family .
This is simply too precious to stay in closed vaults .His work,like all the others of this amazing period HAS to be celebrated .
cheers
Last edited by varsha on 28 Apr 2013, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

An old interview with the maestro where he talks about a number of topics + some clips of his performances, re-broadcast by Podhigai. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dhcNJCWwKw

Thanks to TVG for the prompt upload.

KMH

Post by KMH »

Varsha, Rsachi,

Point taken. Will act on it without delay.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Long ago, a colleague gave me a strange piece of newspaper advice: read the obituaries! Why? I wondered.

Because, he said, you will discover all sorts of things about people and what they did, even the people you never knew.

It has never been truer than now. I barely knew anything about Lalgudi-sir, but I am deeply touched by what I am finding out after his death. Sad that that knowledge came late ... but, at least the monument of his contribution still stands, and, thanks to you all, will go on standing.

drmnarmadha96

Post by drmnarmadha96 »

Dear Rasikas,
I feel like posting this message from my heart recalling my special violin moments with the respected violin maestro Shri Lalgudy Jayaraman ji.

The three great legendary violinists ,Shri MSG Guruji my beloved father, Shri Lalgudyji and Shri TNK mamaji came together as an audience when we three daughters, myself , Lalgudy Vijiji and VijiKrishnanji performed for the YACM on 28th August 2011 at the Music Academy Hall.I must say that this was a maginificient moment in my life.Each of them heard each of us perform our solo parts in turns and then together.We were performing with the Mridangam Maestro Shri TVG ji and Triponithura Radhajrishnanji. At the end of this once in a blue moon concert i had the rare privilege of receiving the Certificate of Violin excellence from the violin wizard Shri Lalgudyji.

His words are still resounding in my heart.In Tamizh he said
"" VAYALIN VASICCHINDE IRU.(keep playing the violin)
VIDAAMA PRACTISE PANNU.(Always keep on practising)
ELLA SAMPATHHUM UNAKKU KIDAIKKUM.(God Will Bless you)
What a wonderful message.
Wayback in early 50 's,My father used to recall how on the invitation of Parurji , my grandpa....Lalgudyji visited our home along with his fathet Shri GopalIyerji.
At that time Lalgudy impressed Parurji thro his outstanding violin performance at our home and Parurji had told Gopalyerji that here was a rising Brilliant star in the Indian Violin Music.After the Mehfil they were served Paalpayasam and Kerala Adai Aviyal.On mutual invitation my father Shri MSG ji along with Parurji visited their home.
my father performed at their home and GopalIyer ji had mentioned to Parurji that ShriMSG had the Paripurna kataksham of Maha Sarasvati.

That was the mutual admiration between these great legends. :clap:

Lalgudyji's violin music is such that it keeps lingering on in the mind of the listener and his very violin presence inspired me so much.
Long Live the Legendary Music of the Violin Legacies.I am sure that the eldest of the Trio Shri TNK mamaji will BLess the entire fraternity of the Indian Violin Music.

Yours musically
Dr.M.Narmadha
drmnarmadha@gmail.com

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks for sharing your kind words, Dr. Narmadha avl. It is fascinating to hear of the interactions between Sri Parur Sundaram Iyer and Sri Lalgudi Gopala Iyer.

The YACM concert that you mentioned, IMHO, is a landmark event in the history of CM. A number of us watched it from all over the world. We hope that similar memorial concerts celebrating the legacies of these great musicians will be possible in the not-too-distant future.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Dr. Narmada,
As Nick points out, how much more we learn, even with the greats whose merits are pretty well-known (we assume), after they have left us!

Your sharing your thoughts and interactions among them with the rest of us makes the contributions of such notables even more meaningful. Thank you!

It must have been some concert--of their children. Would have brought tears to one's eyes--witnessing the young on stage and the fathers in the audience and later, listening to their responses.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dr. Narmadha,
You may kindly recall our conv when Dr VKV called me from your house. Since I missed the webcast, I dearly want the video or audio recording as and when made available.
Thanks!
Sachi R

cacm

Post by cacm »

I am very happy DR.M.Narmadha has written about her interactions with LGJ. It would be very nice if other artists write about their interactions instead of persons like me who can write about his intimate interactions with ALL artists including SENIOR artistss. VKV

KMH

Post by KMH »

Dr Narmada,

I wholeheartedly second Rsachi's request - every true fan of Sri MSG, Sri Lalgudi and Sri Krishnan would love to see the illustrious daughters of of the illustrious greats perform together. Please do give us the pleasure. I emphasize the "see" - viewing the three giants of carnatic violin sitting together in the audience would be bliss beyond compare.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

‘Confluence of Styles'...'Three strings, one sound'

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Great picture. Thanks, Sri kailasam.
I consider it my great fortune to have heard the live webcast of the concert. Smt Viji's madhyamavati and dr. Narmadha's pantuvarali are still alive in my mind. It was truly an historic event of sorts.

varsha

Post by varsha »

One my friends who attended the wedding reception of Shashank, (he was an invitee) called me excitedly
The three violin greats are seated side by side ,together . Come quick !!
I did not go . Partly because I don't like gate crashing ,uninvited .
Mainly because I would have fainted with wonder. It would have been closest I could have got to witnessing a viswaroopa darshana.
Maybe if the daughter trio oblige and put up the video , I will take a cautious look . :o
I just cannot think of any other three personalities altering the course of an aesthetci way of interpreting the notes , living within a few kms of each other and spawning such a huge set of followers /practioners/listeners.
Pied pipers on strings . Their art is beyond description . This ripple effect will last for ages . I can see these tracks being played in 3013 ,4013 and still .....
Listening to Lalgudis madhayamavathi . What a range of flavours he brings to a recital.!!! Timeafter time , Relentlssly .
Unbelievable magic .

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Prophetic words, Varsha. TathAstu. If I ever came back to the planet in 3013, my only wish is that the music of this trinity is still around.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha, Vishnu and all,
I once read an essay by Chesterton on Shakespeare. He basically said that a Shakespeare comes and shapes the cultural future of a society, but at the same time he is himself a product of a cultural milieu and owes as much of himself to the people as the people owe to him.

If someone were to write the 'Bhagavata ' of Carnatic music, they would highlight
the cultural immigration of influences into Tanjavur region from Vijayanagara and Mahratta regions. They would highlight the Trinity. They would highlight the courtly patronage of Mysore and Travancore. And they would highlight the Chennai+Radio+Cinema+Sabha+Freedom movement milieu. Then the MP3+video+NRI+Internet milieu. Maybe Skype+Webcast+Smart phone is another chapter.
What runs thoroughout this epic is the Guru+Shishya+Rasika love affair. Like Bhagavata+Bhakta+Bhagavan trio that Sri Ramakrishna so fondly spoke of.

Jai Ho to the threesome!
Last edited by Rsachi on 28 Apr 2013, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Here's an old photo from 1957 with Mudicondan Venkatrama Iyer and Palani Subramania Pillai

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m41hhhlk814k2ly/I9jGGi5XI9

the first of the video links . pollachi concert .

i have picked slices here which reveal different facets of the maestro - his dainty left foot keeping tala , watchful eye on gjr's replies , proud following of daughters vocals , commanding the mike guy ... and then the raw power and grace of the mercedez -like playing
Last edited by varsha on 28 Apr 2013, 13:07, edited 2 times in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Varsha: Thanks.

I have saved your first batch of files here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m41hhhlk814k2ly/I9jGGi5XI9

varsha

Post by varsha »

vk thanks . your act is as sweet as the jaggery, which pollachi is famous for :)

smala

Post by smala »

any way to get these as .mov files for mac?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Smala,
I could convert the file from .dat to .mp4 using Äny Video Converter and then play it on Quicktime or any other player.
You can download the Any Video Converter for Mac free version here:
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/any-vid ... 2944?mt=12

Hope it works for you.

I could play the original file itself also on Creative Media Resource Player.....

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Dr Narmadha Ji
That was a nice tribute . By any chance have they both played (shri MSG and shri LGJ) together at some distant hamlet or a house?

KMH
your muscat video is priceless. Shri LGJ is so truthful to his art .

Rishi
Photos are lovely. Thankyou

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

One of the finest combination is LGJ and VR sir. Few years back when I went to MKR home at NY, i took this picture of picture. I should call this photo with this caption ------> Give me Red Give Me Red everready Lalgudi and Vellore . This photo was taken at NY either kennedy or lincoln hall ( MKR sir should have interesting anecdotes and confirm the hall). sp ramh is also to the left of LGJ and VR sir.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/syr4bdbi074tv40/O9xDsleZco
Selected slices from the Anjaneyar Koil concert at Nanganallur

venkatakailasam

varshaji...

Are there any copyright tags attached..Am I free to upload in you tube?

varsha

Post by varsha »

No sir please don't. My position will be compromised. My take has always been that there is no other forum like this. And it is here that we should restrict ourselves to.let us remember the videos are nothing compared to sentiments that are captured in a forum like rasikas.let the world tune into this forum.for there is none like this.rasikas.org is organised knowledge.let us strive to keep it that way.regards

venkatakailasam

OK..Madam..thank you.. I am the one who respect other's wishes...

varsha

Post by varsha »

thank you Sir . Appreciate your understanding . Have always been an admirerof your tireless efforts
here is the second part of anjaneyar koil concert
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/em43cqryo0xcws8/j0vmC2o1RA

And here he is , singing .....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc81xmbfzjsq5 ... -Sings.dat

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ht8kboiyjd7nh2i/ysaLx-IBY5
moscow concert in bits
Experts talk of the pan shot in the movie Gone with the wind - as one of the all time best. The one which starts with a shot of aquiet corner in the street and keeps zooming back until the whole canvas is a throbbing cauldron of war
The first track in this moscow set is in that class!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

let us remember the videos are nothing compared to sentiments that are captured in a forum like rasikas
Well said. Quite true.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha
Allow me to suggest that the first scene camera work in Devdas II, Lagaan and Jodha Akbar also are masterpieces of cinematography. Of course Gone with the Wind is an epoch-making movie in so many ways.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Perhaps when I regain my composure about the loss of this colossus of music I might post some minor and irrelevant reminiscences of concerts as well as personal meetings/interactions with him.

Meanwhile let us savor this real gem which has been in youtube for so long...and needless to say, like so many key Carnatic music moments of the 20th century the mahapurusha named Lalgudi Jayaraman is at the center of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo

In my opinion this single video (from some of the earliest doordarshan broadcasts in Chennai I believe) captures so much of the essence of the Carnatic musical experience...Alathoor Srinivasa Iyer - LALGUDI JAYARAMAN - Palghat Mani Iyer (just gives me the goosebumps listing this sequence of names) -

Tyagaraja - Todi - Kaddanavariki - Neraval - Swaram - Tani ....

Particularly note the delicate play of expressions and TOTAL SYNERGY of Shri LGJ with the vocalist. The ever present gentle smile of enjoyment, the gentle nod of the head in approval, the gentle waiving of a final round of neraval opprotunity, the obvious enjoyment of it all...

The sequence between about 11:29 and 12:45 is particularly instructive and in the current context indescribably poignant when the even the grainy doordarshan capture brings out the intensity and genius of Shri LGJ. At 12:02, ASI and LGJ make eye contact and LGJ silently mouths the phrase buddhi galiginaTTi while "singing" it along on the violin. A moment worth dying for.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

and needless to say, like so many key Carnatic music moments of the 20th century the mahapurusha named Lalgudi Jayaraman is at the center of it
How true.
Uday, I must have listened to this clip several dozen times. But your description helps me see it in a whole different light.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Dr.Narmadaji: That was a great tribute and coming as it does from an accomplished artist and Musical family lends credence to the artistry of LGJ.

RSachi--your analogy is great--enjoy your posts very much for their content,civility of tone!!keep them coming!!!

Rajeshnat: Thanks for posting the LGJ-VR pic--there is a whole beautiful story behind that pic and the stay in my house.
I intend posting some of the rare pics(being a digital neanderthal I need help from my 12 year-old granddaughter!) and also narrate anecdotes. I am currently preoccupied with my wife's Total Knee replacement surgery done 2 days ago and is recuperating--I intend to steal time (during my wife's recuperation!!) to start my own reminiscences of over 40 years. I feel saddened by his loss like millions of rasikas and friends .

Of all the musicians and artistes I have hosted in NA MSAmma and LGJ have been the best in terms not only--ease of hosting but a fountainhead of knowledge and epitome of civility. Dring my recent visit to Chennai myself and my wife visited him on Feb 15 and what was intended to be a courtesy call for 30 mts(he was quite sick at that time and had just come home from the Apollo Hospital--we had hesitated whether we should even call on him--his wife said he insisted we call on him)--the visit lasted 2 hours and despite the slurrhing of speech,his recall of minutae during his stays in our house in NY was remarkable. During the conversation my wife asked what are u working on now to which before Krishnan could pitch in LGJ blurts out "Saraswati (raga)iyele oru varnam pandirukken---no talk of his infirmity or an understandable lament about why I am I being allowed to suffer --normal for any person going thru such an ordeal.

So much more to come----

Ramasubramanian M.K

Uday: My sentiments exactly--his alertness and the modest waiving of the Muttaippu swara thro a gentle nod is a good lesson for many accompaniments of today--less is more!!!

An anecdote testifying to his true humility about his art(Ellam EEsan Seyal was a favorite catch phrase for him).

A couple of years ago,when we visited him he was in the midst of listening to one of his duets(with Sreemathi) with PMI(@ KGS Sabha). In Kaligiyunde in Kirvani,in the swara portion(GJR also was listening),at one point he tells Krishnan,how nicely PMI gives me a lead-in to the next swara that he wants to play and how LGJ was oblivious to it and did not follow the cue. and ends up saying even after 30 years after the concert,one should be the harshest critic of one's own music and learn from cues that may be given by the vocalist or an accompanist like PMI. He was a true Nadopasaka!!

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdlIWWfmysQ

another classic piece .A fine study of Lalgudi . Confirms my feeling that he sings internally while playing.
please view through , all the parts .
My small claim to glory in this janma was in discovering this piece in a video tape of chittibaby as filler .
Years ago... A stunning video.
The three must be relivinfg these moments for the Gods there now , As we pen these words .

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha: I did not know that you were behind the unearthing of that video with Prof S Ramanathan. I should have known :clap:
The neraval playing by Lalgudi is one the best ever. The bowing brings out every possible expression of "sakala" in sakala bhuvana bhaya haraNa paTu carita jAla.

So few even sing this song anymore :(

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Mahavishnu, It would be very nice if the list of pallavis created by LGJ is published along with the varnams& other creations. His PALLAVIS are UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED TO BE THE MOST CREATIVE& DIFFICULT. For Example Late Sri. Ramnad Raghavan went to MADRAS TO LEARN & PRACTISE THE PALLAVIS EVERY DAY FOR 3 MONTHS FOR THE 1971 L.G.J-N.R.-R.R- T.S.-T.R. TOUR of North America organised by East-West Exchange ( I was one of the 10 members with Prof. D.Sundararaman who was graduate student at Columbia then as President).The late great Bob.Brown managed to get funds from the other parts of Weslyan U Music dept for this trip!) Sri.Tiruchy Sankaran would be of help in this matter. VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VKV-sir: The LGJ-Ramani tour of '71 is right up there with some of the greatest music ever made. I remember a long discussion we had about it in another thread a few months ago. Varsha was very kind to share several tracks from the NY concert. The simhendra madhyamam RTP in that concert was very special; IIRC, it also had a very nice mohra/korvai that TS and RR played in unison.

I will ask Prof. Sankaran if he has any further information he can share about the pallavis from that tour.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I find now a days my "Productivity Level" is not what it used to be. Since I find you have the energy& interest you can maybe contact some one in Sangeethapriya & they shd. be able to provide the list. Incidentally the HIGHLIGHT of that ENTIRE 1971TOUR FOR ME WAS: We were strapped for cash to such an EXTENT I ended up writing a special computer program to make the entire trip E-W, N-S etc without violating the VISIT USA fare of 200 dollars for the entitre TOUR ALL OVER USA& CANADA! It was so complicated LGJ-N.R. & MYSELF SAT IN SYRACUSE AIRPORT FROM 8A.M. TO 7 P.M. WHILE AA could decide what I had come up with. they GAVE UP & LET ME HAVE MY WAY!...BUT DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD LGJ EXPLAINED HIS VARNAMS, THILLANAS& PALLAVIS TO ME & EVEN AN IGNORAMUS like me could see every neuron in his brain fire- similar to when Feynman explained RENORMALIZATION to me-& I realised how LUCKY I WAS to hear it from the figurative "Horses's mouth".......In the case of LGJ EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM WAS JUST DIVINE: MUSIC, JUST BEING WITH HIM, EVERYTHING!...VKV

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Dr.VKV,
I really beg you, no, I insist that you write your memoirs, you don't even need to type. We can set up a way for you to merely speak your memoirs. I do believe that people like you are equally rare as Lalgudi, and we need to get the music of your memoirs!
Sir, please don't say no.
Thanks in advance
Sachi R

cacm

Post by cacm »

Rsachi wrote:Dear Dr.VKV,
I really beg you, no, I insist that you write your memoirs, you don't even need to type. We can set up a way for you to merely speak your memoirs. I do believe that people like you are equally rare as Lalgudi, and we need to get the music of your memoirs!
Sir, please don't say no.
Thanks in advance
Sachi R
Dear R, I am in the process of doing exactly that at my son's request. I am writing 2 versions- one for Every one & one for my 4 year old grand son- & this will be my last MAJOR project. It will be incident based with interactions in science, music, and life as major parts describing incidents in my life in India & USA. I definitely will send you a copy. Thanks, vkv

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Seconding that request.
VKV-sir, I am also hoping that you could write more about the MMI-LGJ concerts/interactions/synergies here... You have had a privileged lens into that world.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks Dr VKV!

venkatakailasam

Krithis-by-MMI-with-DrVKVs-comments .....

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/vkv/01-K ... s-comments

you may have to log in

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear VKV,RSatchi: VKV, I can help about the EW tour of 1971--I was a graduate student @ Columbia Bus School--a struggling student--yet managed to hear and participate in the tour thanks to Yours/Selvi's largeheartedness.

That E-W story needs to be retold for a number of reasons,(FORUMITES Please bear with me if I dwell on this more than on LGJ)
(1) THAT WAS THE FIRST BIG TOUR OF NORTH AMERICA OF A CARNATIC MUSIC ENSEMBLE,(2) It was the FIRST big performance tour . for the experiment--the Violin-Veena-Venu trio .
(3) It was put together by the main architect--VKV with
(a) a band of students( including Dr.Sundararaman who was a Doctoral Student with a family--wife Lakshmi and a kid living on a pittance of scholarship money and still having to host the artistes for the NY concert with a full dress rehearsal before the Columbia Univ performance at the McMillan hall) and a band of recent immigrants-(less than 5 years in the country- most of whom held entry level jobs with not much time/money to spare . VKV took all the risks--recall meetings were held in crowded apartments in NYC--VKV lived in New City--about 45 mts drive--but the rest of us could not afford to commute to new City for the meetings--so the Mountain(VKV) had to come to Mohammed!!!--I do not recall the economics--what could an impoverished graduate student provide to even ask about the tour's economics.
personal phone calls to friends of VKV in Philadelphia,Boston --the artistes were on USA tour with restrictions on not visiting one place more than once-- the locations of the concerts and the local sponsors constraints made any sort of
logistical planning impossible--there were no grand sponsors or underwriters(today with Silicon valley Millionaires it is not impossible!!)--the whole thing was the most complicated Transportation Algorythm Model that any Operations Reseracher. can imagine!!!
That first performance@ Col Uni --LGJ was really nervous--he said"When pandit Ravi Shankar has established North Indian Music on a pedestal in NA,their tour being the First CM organised tour of NA, when people like VKV have put confidence in what was still a experiment,should we not acquit ourselves creditably not only to establish CM in NA firmly but also to make sure that the economics of the tour are not jeopardised for possible future artistes to be sponsored.He also said to me privately that when VKV proposed the tour and mentioned the hardships in arranging the tour he(LGJ) felt that there should not be discussions or haggling over remuneration and that he convinced both Ramani and the Late venkataraman that being a pioneer experiment we should do everything possible to help the organizers. Subsequently reminiscing over the tour LGJ and Ramani also told me that VKV had delivered more than he promised(to this day I have not asked VKV or LGJ what were the terms!!)
Added to all this was the fact that for the first concert Trichy S
ankaran was not available and hence Ramnad Raghavan--who was @ Wesleyan @ that time was to accompany .Although they had done some rehearsals(RR had not accompanied much for LGJ in India-)-LGJ being a meticulous person insisted

before the concert to have a small rehearsal(it turned out to be a full dress rehearsal!!) @ Sundarraraman's apartment
before a small audience of EW friends(including myself). The first concert was a resounding success--using my student status we could get the Mcmillan theter(can be expensive to rent!!)--the acoustics were good--and the trio performed as if their lives depended on the performance!!.

Although this narr turned out to be more tortorous than I had intended ,two things should stand out:

LGJ's respect for the Art and the patrons putting aside his own personal economic expectations--he truly wanted the tour to succeed not only for himself personally but also for the sake of propagation of CM music in NA. This was no PR stunt so far as he was concerned . A concert--no matter where performed --whether before an August audience of connoisseurs in Chennai or eager music lovers abroad(there used to be and still there is prejudice amongst chennai elites that NA music lovers are ignoramuses!!) has to be perfect.
Second factor --that a tour of NA by CM artistes could be arranged and .

could lead to emergence of organisations like CMANA,Cleveland Aradhana, and the host of other organisations throughout

USA and Canada.

In my next post I will narrate some funny anecdotes in the early days of the tour to show LGJ's presence of mind and wit---