Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
RaviSri

#26 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by RaviSri » 28 Nov 2017, 18:39

BMK's and Vedavalli's recording of the varALi Pancharatnam of Thyagaraja where they have intoned the G properly is available in youtube. Just google and find out. As for nATa I don't know of any recording that authentically protrays the nATa R.
0 x

ratanabhinav

#27 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by ratanabhinav » 28 Nov 2017, 21:32

RaviSri wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 18:39
BMK's and Vedavalli's recording of the varALi Pancharatnam of Thyagaraja where they have intoned the G properly is available in youtube. Just google and find out. As for nATa I don't know of any recording that authentically protrays the nATa R.
Thank you so much for pointing it out for me !
Arikayudi used to sing nattai like this
https://youtu.be/lo-EFSHC3f8
is this what you were talking about ?
0 x

SrinathK

#28 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by SrinathK » 29 Aug 2018, 09:41

A Maharajapuram joke (from http://www.maharajapuram.in/jokes.htm)

"...A sishya of Viswanatha iyer was singing in a marriage concert, where Viswanatha iyer was present. The sishya sang “Poorvikalyani” and came upto neraval “Mathurapuri Nilaye Mani Valaye” in the song “Meenakshimemudam” and did not budge an inch from the lines “Mani Valaye”. Viswanatha iyer read him correctly and asked the bride’s father to pay the agreed sum instantly so that he may proceed further in the concert.

“MANI VALAYE” – MEANING THAT “THE MONEY HAS NOT COME”..."

No wonder they're unprintable...
2 x

kvchellappa

#29 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by kvchellappa » 30 Aug 2018, 08:38

ratanabhinav wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 21:32

Arikayudi used to sing nattai like this
https://youtu.be/lo-EFSHC3f8
is this what you were talking about ?
'Video unavailable'.
0 x

SrinathK

#30 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by SrinathK » 01 Sep 2018, 17:41

An album of MVI, all 4 items are incredible. I had this as a cassette.

http://www.kosmikmusic.com/home/Detail/ ... collection

MVI's manodharma is just unbelievable when he's on form. I mean check out this aTHANA :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzhp7NE-LHY
0 x

rajeshnat

#31 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by rajeshnat » 01 Sep 2018, 21:23

Srinath,
I am assuming you must have listened the most famous full length concert of MVI and santhanam , 1956 concert the start of aabhogi varnam gives me goosebumps . Hear the energy and ferrari ride brigas for the first four numbers aabhogi(evari bodhana with maruva rapid fire swars), then siva siva enaradha and that uphill jagadanandakA (nattai) and ilalo (atanA).Real confidence Just refer thread #3 here , that recording is still there

All,
In general i think the advantage of two singers singing gives that distributed energy and extra punch . If you hear the few concerts of MVI ,MVI decides abruptly not to sing sahithya any time at his discretion , the cub maharajapuram santhanam holds the skipped sangathi and continues . After a round of recoup and rest MVI attacks and santhanam stays silent . This kind of duo worked well for MVI-Santhanam , Santhanam- Ramachandran , Semmangudi- TMT, GNB-TR Balasubramaniam, MMI-Vembu Iyer . The punch and rapid fire is possible only with extraordinary lung support from supporting vocalist . In today's world Trichur brothers bring that extra sheen, RagA (especially GAyathri is like santhanam and ranjani is like ramachandran of 1990s)

Not to put these celestial greats like SSI , MMI , GNB and MVI etc, their standalone quotient is even higher , but over the years i seem to have more fascination and awe for the standalone vocalist like TRS(Lord Hanuman vArisu) and of late a later era TNS and then this era with Suryaprakash,Abhishek ,Sanjay , TNS Krishna and even few female musicians who bring such unmatched speed and excellence with podi brigas especially in swaras,alapanas and neraval with freewheeling run . They are all standalone vocalist. Even my childhood first hero maharajapuram santhanam had enough voice rest till midpoint of the concert . There is one famous recording of santhanam-ramachandran where santhanam only sings mahaganapathim then ramachandran manasasmarami, in 1956 concert (post #3 in this topic)you hear MVI singing jagadA.... then santhanam nandakAragA .... in nattai . So much of voice rest for the main vocalist and he comes with power and more ideas, as such ideas need voice power . Singing Standalone Vocal is actually olympics whereas singing as duo is just asian games.
0 x

SrinathK

#32 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by SrinathK » 03 Sep 2018, 09:32

rajeshnat wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:23
Srinath,
I am assuming you must have listened the most famous full length concert of MVI and santhanam , 1956 concert the start of aabhogi varnam gives me goosebumps . Hear the energy and ferrari ride brigas for the first four numbers aabhogi(evari bodhana with maruva rapid fire swars), then siva siva enaradha and that uphill jagadanandakA (nattai) and ilalo (atanA).Real confidence Just refer thread #3 here , that recording is still there
Yes. I have this concert. Considering what MVI could do on a good day with an old and recalcitrant voice, he must have been a force of nature in his prime. His raga essays are special for their organic rAga bhAva.
rajeshnat wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:23
All,
In general i think the advantage of two singers singing gives that distributed energy and extra punch . If you hear the few concerts of MVI ,MVI decides abruptly not to sing sahithya any time at his discretion , the cub maharajapuram santhanam holds the skipped sangathi and continues . After a round of recoup and rest MVI attacks and santhanam stays silent . This kind of duo worked well for MVI-Santhanam , Santhanam- Ramachandran , Semmangudi- TMT, GNB-TR Balasubramaniam, MMI-Vembu Iyer . The punch and rapid fire is possible only with extraordinary lung support from supporting vocalist . In today's world Trichur brothers bring that extra sheen, RagA (especially GAyathri is like santhanam and ranjani is like ramachandran of 1990s)

Not to put these celestial greats like SSI , MMI , GNB and MVI etc, their standalone quotient is even higher , but over the years i seem to have more fascination and awe for the standalone vocalist like TRS(Lord Hanuman vArisu) and of late a later era TNS and then this era with Suryaprakash,Abhishek ,Sanjay , TNS Krishna and even few female musicians who bring such unmatched speed and excellence with podi brigas especially in swaras,alapanas and neraval with freewheeling run . They are all standalone vocalist. Even my childhood first hero maharajapuram santhanam had enough voice rest till midpoint of the concert . There is one famous recording of santhanam-ramachandran where santhanam only sings mahaganapathim then ramachandran manasasmarami, in 1956 concert (post #3 in this topic)you hear MVI singing jagadA.... then santhanam nandakAragA .... in nattai . So much of voice rest for the main vocalist and he comes with power and more ideas, as such ideas need voice power . Singing Standalone Vocal is actually olympics whereas singing as duo is just asian games.
Interesting. I confess I have not yet started listening to TRS seriously. Maharajapuram Santhanam was also the first vocalist I ever heard as a kid.
0 x

Pratyaksham Bala

#33 Re: Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer

Post by Pratyaksham Bala » 05 Sep 2018, 09:25

0 x