Violin: Shri H.N. Bhaskar
Mridangam: N Manoj Siva
Ghatam: Ravi Balasubramanian
Venue: CET Hall, San Jose, CA
Length: ~3.5 hours
1. mAtE maladhwaja pAnDya sanjAtE - khamAs - Adi - MuttiAh BhAgavatar
2. shrI mAtrubhUtam - kannadA - mishra chApu - DIkshitar (R: brief)
3. amba nI irangAyenil pugalEdu - aTANA - khanda chApu - PApanAsam Sivan (R: brief)
4. sItamma mAyamma - vasantA - rUpakam - TyAgarAja (R, N @ pallavi)
5. enadu manam kavalai enum - harikhAmbOji - Adi - PApanAsam Sivan
6. janani mAmava meyE bhArati - bhairavi - mishra chApu - SwAti TiruNAL (R: 11+5 min, S @ pallavi)
7. shrI shankara guruvaram - nAgaswarAvaLi - rUpakam - MahAvaidyanAta Sivan
8. RTP in hamIrkalyANi, khanda tripuTA (R for 15 min incl. violin, tAnam for 7 min)
"thAyil chiranda kOyilum unDO? idhai aRindhOrkku thAzhvuNDO?"
tALa mAlikA: (all in 36 aksharas)
- thishra jhampa in thishra gathi , mishra rUpaka in chaturashra gathi, sankIrNa chApu
AbhOgi/valaji (with grahabhEdham on AbhOgi at madhyamam to yield Valaji)
- a. endha nALaikkum eenDraruL thAyena - thOdi? - ThAyumAnavar on Lord Shiva
b. en thAyum - brindAvani - aruNagirinAthar on Lord Muruga
c. koDiyE iLavanjik kombE - Madhuvanthi?, Navarasa kannadA - abhirAmi bhattar on ambAL
11. mAthA kALikA -- darbAri kAnaDA - ?
12. chidAnanda rUpa shivOham shivOham - Basant Bahar? - Adi - Adi Shankara's NirVANa Shatakam
13. Abhang "rUpa pahata lOchani" - mArwa behAg? - Sant GnanEshwar
14. bhAgyAda lakshmI bhArammA - shrI - Adi - Purandara dAsa
15. maNgaLam kOsalAya - shrI
Apologies in advance for any errors.
Ranjani and Gayathri gave a splendid riveting concert themed on Mothers' Day and observing Shri Shankara Jayanthi. This is the second concert in San Jose in a month, and still the hall was nearly full. Overall, it was a grand and satisfying concert, showcasing the vocal and musical skills of the sisters, with good accompaniment.
The concert began briskly with HMB's daru varNam. The sisters mentioned the story of Lord Shiva saving a pregnant woman caught in a flood as a prelude to the Dikshitar piece on thAyumAnavar. The aTANa composition on Goddess Lakshmi began with the anupallavi "thAyirangAviDil", presumably so that the very beginning of the first four pieces has a reference to 'mother'.
The bhairavi was elaborate and majestic, a great highlight of the concert. During the swarams, the sisters and the violin alternated 3-way in 2nd speed, to good effect.
After a quick song on Adi Shankara, there was an elaborate hamirkalyani. The sisters were good in bringing out many facets of the raga, but one may wonder whether a lengthy exposition leads to a repetitive effect for such a raga. However, the sisters enlivened the proceedings with a quick tAlamAlika which, as they announced, were all adding up to 36 aksharas. During the rAgamAlika phase, they did an interesting grahabhEdam in abhOgi to land in valaji. Interestingly, SJ rasikas heard a second sumanEsaranjani in 3 days; Saketharaman on Friday also included it in his RTP.
After announcing and singing the virtutham, the sisters started the PapanAsam Sivan kriti with the anupallavi. Hopefully, somebody can throw some light on the "mAthA kALikA" composition. The sisters were good with the Marathi pronunciation in the Abhang as one would expect from their Bombay origin.
H. N. Bhaskar was quite satisfying. The ghatam was good too, disagree with some comments I heard like, "nAdam was not good".
Please feel free to add or clarify.