Isai Vaseekaran - GNB, a Gold Class DVD documentary

Place to review recorded music that you have heard.
Rsachi

Isai Vaseekaran - GNB, a Gold Class DVD documentary

Post by Rsachi »

For less money than a Gold Class PVR ticket, you can purchase a gold standard DVD on GNB-Isai Vaseekaran. After spending some hours with the remarkable young man Lalitharam, who has authored books on GNB and researched and put together this DVD, I bought it online in Kalakendra/Swati.

What a remarkable documentary. The narrative, the music, the encomiums, the quotes, the photos and cine clips, and more than anything else,  the suffusion of an inexpressible richness or grandeur throughout, makes this DVD a worthy example of Carnatic music's tribute, nay hero worship, of GNB, a one-man epoch in the 20th century.

There are many many touching moments, rare musical insights,  and lovely narratives (what a presenter this Madhuvanthi Arun is!)

I was deeply touched to hear the tribute shloka by S Kalyanaraman, the Kaanada line "marALa jayita" from GNB's composition Paranmukhamelanamma- sung at the promoting of Paramacharya- by Trichur Ramachandran...the Hindolam sung by an unwell GNB in his very last days at home to the request of overseas fans...
The "Vasudeva Eni" in that remarkable 8 minute gramophone plate, and so on and so forth. Ragas Gavati, Andolika....
The list is long.

MUST BUY AND MUST WATCH for every Carnatic music lover. There are two DVDs - 2 hours and 1 hour. I have gone through only the first!!!

Rsachi

Re: Isai Vaseekaran - GNB, a Gold Class DVD documentary

Post by Rsachi »

From Sangeethasudha website:
parAnmukhamEla -kAnaDa- Adi

P parAnmukhamElanammA parAdheena patita nApai || Oh Mother Parvati, why do you turn away your face from me? I am a helpless sinner standing in front of you.
AP niratamu neevE jEsitE nirvahimpataramA talli || Oh Mother, how can I survive if you ignore me?
C marALajAyita manda gamani mahAdEva mati rAita vadani
nirAmayE neerada SyAmalE nitya kaLyANa guNAlayE || You are delicate like lotus flower. You walk gently. Mahadeva is fascinated by your beautiful face. You are serene. Your complexion of dark cloud. You are ever auspicious. You are repository of virtues.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Rsachi - doesn't marAla jAyita mean someone who has conquered (jAyita) the swan (marAla) in grace?
So, Sri GNB must have visualized the dEvi as someone with a slow gait (manda gamani) that is more graceful than a swan, right?

Reminds of hanUmAn imagining sItA and rAm walking to their wedding manTap - 'matta mAtanga gamanam, matta hansa vadhU gatAm'

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ravi
I think you're right, I was confused by that translation in Sangeethasudha.
marAla (/La) is a swan, jAyin means one who has conquered..(could it mean also someone who has mounted as a rider?) ...so swanlike grace.

Not the first time are we discussing swans I think :-)
Last edited by Rsachi on 10 May 2014, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear folks,
I missed mentioning that this DVD, like many other excellent productions released by Kalakendra, is actually under the direction of Mr S B Kanthan, and Swathi Soft Solutions.

Mr Kanthan is the son of Brahmasri T S Balakrishna Sastrigal.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rsachi
This gamakam lalitaram is a remarkable young man . He spent close to 100,000 rupees or even more to just collate information on GNB for doing his intense research and also for content on rare nagaswara vidwans etc . There is also a s rajam where he has helped kalakendra . IF you know to read thamizh read also his book on Pazhani subramnia pillai. I am also glad to hear that you spent time with ramachandran(lalitharam /gamakam)

Just in case you do not know sb kanthan is also brother of actor mouli who both are sons of TSBS.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 10 May 2014, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

Folks, Thanks a lot for the kind words.

Rajesh: The money I must have spent is minuscule when compared to the pleasure I got out of the music of such legends :-). I didn't know Khanthan until we met during the GNb project. I had no role to play on the Ramnad Krishnan Documentary. A DVD on Palani subramania Pillai directed by Khanthan based on my research is getting released under Swati Soft label on the 21st at Narada Gana Sabha on the occasion of Sri. Pazani's Guru Pooja.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

parivadini wrote:I had no role to play on the Ramnad Krishnan Documentary.
I should have said S rajam instead of ramnad krishnan. Looking forward on PSP dvd. I read your thamizh biography on dhruva natchatiram-PSP it was tough to read thamizh after many years . I took a full month to read but I enjoyed it. Perussion especially mrudangam is crown jewel for our cm and you doing dvd will make more people understand . Please keep trs mama in mind- he needs you and sb kanthan help.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Folks, There was a thread about the S Rajam DVD too:
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... =Rajam+DVD

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Folks the second DVD has some excellent content.
Charumathi Ramachandran has presented a number examples of GNB compositions in an excellent manner.
The talk by Rajaram, son of PMI about the unique relationship between PMI and GNB is very insightful.

Can someone tell me how to get a collection of GNB compositions with notation,please?
Thanks!