K.V.Narayanaswamy

Carnatic Musicians
vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

coolkarni wrote:KVN ‘ s Music is a kind of Music that can mean different things to the same person at different stages in his life.
A few hours before his death My dad took leave of me – as though boarding a train to a new Place – with the query “ Do you think I have done enough good in this world to be privileged to hear KVN and DKJ in the next world ?
And he was a kind of a person who found something wonderful in each and every artist.

I did not realise this then , but after two weeks of commotion (at my hometown) that follows a Passing away I returned to my Flat ,to see the House full of 6 months worth of Medical reports and Bills .I started to shred them to pieces , to get the agony out of my system and then I casually switched on the Tape recorder and played the last track he had recorded for me from AIR.
http://rapidshare.com/files/73690219/Pu ... ervani.mp3
And the Music that reverberated in my room , put everything in such fine perspective.
KVN’s music preferably with a Second rung Violinist and Palghat Raghu ,has been a balm that has soothed me through many tumultous years.
And the reference to the voice perplexes me on a different count too.
In the lower ranges , I think KVN’s voice was one of the truest of Voices.
http://rapidshare.com/files/73691375/KV ... y_Appa.mp3.
Coolji, as rasikas we are extremely thankful to you for sharing this recording, which is so close to your heart. And everytime you play this track, it reminds you of your Dad and can therefore this Keeravani of KVN be considered as a real tribute to your Dad who was so fond of KVN. We also share the same sentiments with you. What a lovely Keeravani. One derives an unique mental peace when one listens to this keeravani of KVN in the company of TNK & Plaghat Raghu. Who has accompanied KVN on the ghatam in this concert ?

If you also have " Kaligiyunte " sung by KVN, request for uploading.
Many thanks.

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

Tribute to KVN by a great fan of him,Smt.Gayathri Venkataraghavan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oLZElT8 ... re=related

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

vs_manjunath, KVN's Kaligiyunte is available on sangeethapriya:
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ksj/z)%2 ... )%20%2301/

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

Unfortunately, this page is not accessible.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Manjunath,
Copy the entire link (the blue and black portions) and paste in your browser...works perfectly if you do that.
Last edited by rshankar on 02 Dec 2007, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

@Mohan (and coolji)
Thanks for the fantastic renditions....I have instanlty changed my opinion!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I am curious why Mohan thought KVN had a weak voice. I thought KVN was a major proponent and practioner of open throated singing.

mohan

Post by mohan »

I feel that only in the latter stages of life Sri KVN life had a weak voice and thought maybe this is what prompted matterwaves to feel his music was 'light'. Indeed, in his younger days his voice was a robust one!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Understood now, Mohan.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

rshankar wrote:Manjunath,
Copy the entire link (the blue and black portions) and paste in your browser...works perfectly if you do that.
Thanks rshankar & bilahari. I have d/l the KVN's kaligiyunte. More complements will follow after I hear the song.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

vs_manjunath, this particular recording is not very good, but it's still good. His Keeravani is always special. Have you heard his Surutti before? Wonderfully melodious: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~murthy/1 ... ysore1982/

Ragjay

Post by Ragjay »

I do not know what you mean by saying that his voice was weak. I heard had he had a heart problem towards the latterpart of his life and he was not able to sing as robustly as he could. But he being a great vocalist suitably adapted his style to suit his condition and sang brilliantly till the end. Ragjay

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.com/files/74006311/KVN.mp3
Manjunath
This is a track we used to play late in the night , with all lights switched off.
And at the end , on one occasion, I heard my Dad remark:
That I exist, is proof enough that I am connected to Infinity and the origin of Life , in one direction , back through my forefathers right upto the first ameoba and beyond.
And here is this KVN who gives me a feeling that I will be connected to Infinity in the other direction too , by opening up my inner eyes with his Music.Dont bother to switch on the light again.....

As I listen to his neraval again today , I get the goosebumps again....
Last edited by coolkarni on 03 Dec 2007, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

KVN used to sing bEgada & nAdo pAsana excellently well- Can rasikas provide links or u/l this record ?

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

A really sweet RTP in Begada: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~murthy/1 ... ysore1982/
Nadopasana: http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~ramanujam/KVN/KVN%206/

His Kapi for me takes the cake anyday.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari- Thanks for the U/L. I have to yet d/l enjoy the records. More complements will follow. I am unable to d/l your suruti.

Yah, very true. His kApi was excellent and the rasikas will always remember kApi & KVN as a couplet. The lovely Swathi Thirunal's Varnam- sumasAyaka;Inta manine & jagadOdHarana -----They may be different kApi's, it had the stamp of KVN. His jagadOdharana was totally different from MS's rendition.

Coolji- I have enjoyed KVN 's kambodhi & Evarimata........what a great neraval.
I'm yet to listen the other portions of the IIT,Chennai concert.

cienu

Post by cienu »

"Yah, very true. His kApi was excellent and the rasikas will always remember kApi & KVN as a couplet. The lovely Swathi Thirunal's Varnam- sumasAyaka;Inta manine & jagadOdHarana -----They may be different kApi's, it had the stamp of KVN. His jagadOdharana was totally different from MS's rendition."

It may surprise you Manjunath, to know that it was Shri KVN who taught MS and Radha , Jagadhodharana ! Among other songs which he taught them were Dasharathe , Devi Brova & Aliveni (Swati Tirunal)
Last edited by cienu on 09 Dec 2007, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Manjunath, I just discovered the links. The uploads aren't mine! The Begada RTP concert has the Surutti as well. I was able to download everything. What problem did you encounter?

I agree about his Jagadodharana. I've especially always enjoyed his neraval at the line "Swara raga laya..." in Intha Sowkhyamaninne.

I'm a big fan of his Shankarabharanam as well. He usually didn't venture to explore rare ragas, but whatever he presented was just wonderful. His music has such tranquility about it that it can just touch the soul. Stirring.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Shri KVN's is peerless perfectionist . His style of neraval singing in "pAdi panindhu bhakthar , intha pArinile uyarndhAr unnai" manamirangAdhA , a swarna venketesha dikshitar krithi in mAyAmAlavagowlai.

VR's mridangam is just top notch and excellent returns by nAgai muralidharan.

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/Downloads ... aGowla.mp3

For me KeerAvani is #1 amd this mmgowlai is #2.

sbala

Post by sbala »

this whole concert is amazing. Must be the "sowkhamest" concert in carnatic music history.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

cienu wrote:"Yah, very true. His kApi was excellent and the rasikas will always remember kApi & KVN as a couplet. The lovely Swathi Thirunal's Varnam- sumasAyaka;Inta manine & jagadOdHarana -----They may be different kApi's, it had the stamp of KVN. His jagadOdharana was totally different from MS's rendition."

It may surprise you Manjunath, to know that it was Shri KVN who taught MS and Radha , Jagadhodharana ! Among other songs which he taught them were Dasharathe , Devi Brova & Aliveni (Swati Tirunal)
cienu- This is really a surprise news. dEvi brOva of both KVN's & MS's renditions were same but jagadhOdharana were different although MS had learnt it from KVN !

rajeshnat- KVN also used to sing MM Gowla Varnam of Swathi Tirunal excellently well ( also Naatai varnam).

gangar2758@vsnl.net

Post by gangar2758@vsnl.net »

hv heard KVN SIR wud sing the khamas varna of palakkad parameswara bagvatar.any audio available for d/l
thanks

KNV

Post by KNV »

CSS wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if Sri KVN's son, KN Viswanathan can throw some light / anecdotes on his father's music ? To those who may not know, KNV is also blessed with a great voice like his father !!
This is KVN's son KNV. That is a great compliment from CSS (I don't know you. Will you give me your details.). I went for a walk this evening & happened to meet my friend Vaidyanathan. He mentioned this site to me. I will certainly share my experiences on my fathers music from time to time. The entire family is sold on his music. I have a problem when talking about music. I tend to compare everyone's music with his. Particularly I cannot tolerate even marginal off key singing. I am blessed with a good sense of Sruthi. He felt sruthi sense should be cultivated from childhood by listening to sruthi aligned music. He used to listen to Sangeet Sammelan Concerts of Hindustani Music during my school days. He used to mention Madurai Mani Iyer , MDR, Brinda, Balasaraswarthi & MS for perfect sruthi alignment. Once Vedavalli said this " Everyone sings aligned to Sruti. But KVN's Sruti alignment is a notch higher. That makes his music aesthetically richer".

Do you know he learnt Varali Pancharatnam from Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Welcome, Sri KNV...we will all be very interested in hearing your stories about the great vidvAn! Please join the illustrious group of forum members like Sri MDRBalaji (Sri MDR's son) and Sri Rajasekhar (Sri GNB's son) and share your memories on the life, times and music of your father!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

KNV
It will indeed be a treat for us at the Forum if you can share musical recollections of your Father the doyen of CM! We all know his knowledge of CM was profound and his shruti alignment is phenomenal. Can you tell us how he used to practise?

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

and of course his experiences under iyengarval and mani iyer

KNV

Post by KNV »

I have never seen him practicing. Normally, before the concert he would be humming the main item. Usually in the car he would be humming the varnam he was going to sing.Sensing the mood of the audience & his own voice & energy level he may change the item as it hapenned in a Music Academy concert. He had planned to sing Kambhoji & Evarimata & was whistling ( he is good at soft whistling) Kambhoji throughout the day . In the concert he suddenly decided to sing Karaharapriya & SATATAM TAVAKA PADASEVANAM a Swati Tirunal composition as main. Subbudu in his review called it a master stroke. He felt his voice that evening was not in great shape to sing Ariyakudi school Kambhoji. What a nereval he sang in MAMA HRDI VASANISAM MADHUSUDANA .... . It changed the mood of the concert to higher plane. Unforgettable moments.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Nice to know that he adapted himself to the moods of the Rasikas. We have heard that he gave his last concert at Mumbai in spite of failing health not to disappoint the Rasikas there.
We certainly would love to hear his training under ARI (and his gurubhakti). Also tell us how he acquired the vast repertoire on Svati since ARI was no master in that area. When and why did he invite Padma to accompany him in hsi concerts? Was shruti a problem?

Since we hear that you have a nice voice (and talent) how come he did not encourage you to carry on the tradition?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

..also share any rare photographs that you may have...

KNV

Post by KNV »

Appa had the greatest respect for his gurus Iyengarval& Mani Iyer. We have never heard him make even one bad comment of his masters. He used to talk highly of Dhanam though I have heard people say many things about her. It seems Dhanam had lot of concern for Sishyas & would ensure that they are fed. Iyengarval was always busy & took his sishyas for granted. How will the sishyas have food unless asked to. Iyengarval was a late riser. He would get up only around 10 & have breakfast at 11. Lunch will be around 2.30. This was a problem for Sishyas. Dhanam would sense that & ensure sishyas are taken care of. He would never comment on any musician. He used to say that his master Iyengarval was a simple man & would compare him with Ramanujar, for his contribution to CM. He compared Mani Iyer with Nandi. Mani Iyer never knew any calculated rhythemic counts (Kanaku). He played by intution. He brought dignity to mridangam palying he would say. M.Iyer considered Iyengarval as the greatest musician & worshipped him. They were made for each other. Iyengarval was a serious performer. No frivolous gesture, no tamasha on the stage. He had the rare sense of reading the colllective minds of his listeners & keep them glued to their seats with his selection of Ragas, compositions etc. He would sing open throated, never use mmm, vee,ha ri etc. as some musicians do. (called singing like that as Doshams). He felt on stage Iyengarval & M.Iyer were the only ones who had the Stately presence. None of Iyengarval's sishyas were taught formally. They either learnt while singing along with their master or when he was teaching Dhanam (sishyas would become happy when he teaches Dhanam- she was a slow learner!). Generally he would ask Appa to tune the tambura.(He called him Narayana). It is a treat to watch Appa tuning the tambura back stage or in the concert. I wish someone had videographed that. When I see Tambura strings being plucked instead of palying I get irritated. I see some of the leading popular artists being indifferent to Tambura players. They choose some good looking young female who knows nothing about Tambura palying. Besides plucking the strings their hand is almost near Kudam. Appas nephew T R Krishanan was his Tambura player till early 60s. Appa had a sishya by name KV Ananthan. He was an excellent tambura palyer. He was giving him vocal support till 1975. He sings regularly in AIR. Toufik a foreigner, HV Srivatasan are the other good Tambura palyers besides Rama & Anuradha his daughters. Iyengarval preferred to take Appa when he went to North or Bombay. On one such occasion when he had been to Delhi, Dr VK Nrayana Menon (Director General All India Radio who was instrumental in introducing National Programme of Music in AIR on Saturday night & Radio Sangeet Sammelan Concerts.) had come to see Iyengar. Iyengar told him that his Sishyan from Kerala would carry his music forward & wanted him to promote him. He called Appa & asked him to sing a urupadi & he sang ENTARO MAHANU BAVU. Menon was very much impressed with his singing. Subsequently it was Dr Menon who arranged to send Appa, Lalgudi, Mani Iyer & MS to Edinborough Art Festival in 1964. That was a major turning point to his career. Another event as told by a visitor to the house. Appa was interviewed for the lecturer post at Central college of C.Music. Musiri was the Principal of the college. His master was one of the members of the selection panel. He refused to be in the panel when he found his student was to be interviewed. But Musiri persuaded him to give his opinion. He is supposed to have written "UNMAI" (truth). He was selected for the post.

Till his last breath he believed whatever he could achieve was only because of his gurus. This humility in him I believe what made him a great human being & scale great heights in music.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

thanks a lot knv sir.....absolutely wonderful.... i would like to share a wonderful quote which sri.allepy venkatesan said when kvn mama passed away.... "the suswara that we have lost,, the GODS have gained"

mohan

Post by mohan »

Article about Padma Narayanaswamy (Mrs KVN)
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/07/18/stor ... 300300.htm

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

KNV wrote:He used to talk highly of Dhanam though I have heard people say many things about her..
Pardon my ignorance, which Dhanam is this?

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

if am not wrong,, it should be iyengarval's second wife

carnaticdasan

Post by carnaticdasan »

Hi

Everything has been covered about KVN and his quality,style etc and have nothing more to add on this genius.Sometimes i wonder why not even one of his shyshayas(students) came to limelight or even close to a senior level.Padma Chandilyan(apart from KVN's wife Padma)has attained popularity with repect to teaching.Even KVN's daughter has taken up Chinnathirai instead of propagating her fathers music to the next generation.In case members have other ideas on this can advise.

vkswamy84

Post by vkswamy84 »

sumram99 wrote:Hello, I am a new to this forum. I got to hear of this from rasikapriya members. I am looking for Varagur Venkateswara Suprabhatam by KVN. If anybody can post it I would appreciate. Thank you!
hI :

I TOO IN NEED OF VARAGUR VENKATESWARA SUPRAPATHAM. CAN YOU PLS. INFORM WHERE FROM I CAN DOWNLOAD. I VISITED narada.org BUT UNABLE TO SEE THE SAME. PLS. HELP ME.

REGARDS,

VKSWAMY

Ushaprabhu

Post by Ushaprabhu »

Radhakrishnan wrote:Palakkad K.V.Narayana swamy needs no introduction, he will remain as one of the greatest carnatic vocalists of all time.
Music lovers should be aware that he had learnt under Mani Iyer,C.S.Krishan Iyer before joining Ariyakudi(there are very interesting stories,some narrated by KVN himself,gurukula vasam,once he left his gurus place without telling him,to return some days later!)
He was widely popular wherever he performed,all over Tamil nadu,Kerala,Karnataka,Mumbai and several foreign countries.
He wasn?t blessed with a perfect voice,he was hardly audible in antar sthayi,so songs like bhairavi swarajati(though its tempo suited him!!)did not suite him.But the distinct feature of his style was that sruti sudham.Voice was well modulated and he maintained that sruti sudham till the last concert,though he was struggling physically.He used to struck mel sthayi notes with ease.The way he floats from notes to notes,one cant think of a similar singer.The way he conserved that energy for such a long time is unique.
Talking about sruthi,he was a master to tune tambura(now the electronic version available,nobody keeps the traditional one) like a Hindustani singers.When KVN tuned the tambura,one can hear those anu swaras clearly.
There are several such fine aspects in his music which any upcoming singer can follow.
Though he was the disciple of Ariyakudi,and he followed that kacheri pattern,his style was unique and certain singers like Musiri influenced him.
No wonder he was extremely popular at Travancore family,nobody sings Swathi compositions like him,especially the padams like aliveni,jalaja bandhu,panimathi mukhi.
His diction was good.Teamed with Lalgudi/MSG Mani Iyer/Raghu,he has performed several times at mandapam and anybody has those recordings(though the same compositions are repeatedly sung, it doesn?t matter)please post it here.
The way he used to portray the raga,so methodical,kalyani,thodi,sankarabharanam were all his favorites.niraval,enough kanakku in swara singing without any gimmicks.
That ragamalika pallavi,sankarabharananai anaithodi vaa kalyani darbarukku,the way he shifts from sankarabharanam to to thodi,then to kalyani,something a vidwan can do.
I wasfortunate to attend many of his concerts in 1980s,both in Kerala and almost all sabhas in Chennai.Missing him a lot?
Of course,plenty of his cds are vailable,but rasikas please post recordings that do not have copyrights and explore and analyse his music.Even the lec dems are useful.
Regarding this 76 mandapam concert,the recording quality is poor and it appears to be faster than the original.But it is always better to have such live recordings than the studio ones,which may be technically superior.
http://rapidshare.de/files/11690293/kvn_suma.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11691625/kvn ... m.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11693381/kvn_thodi.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/11696531/kvn ... p.mp3.html
http://rapidshare.de/files11696928//kvn_suruti.mp3.html

Ushaprabhu

Post by Ushaprabhu »

Hello All,
I am also a great fan of KVN. I appreciate if the link above can be uploaded.

Thank you,
Usha

kamesh

Post by kamesh »

Hello all,
Does anybody can give me information about the company who released and name of the shop(place) including price of a commercial release of a concert in Krishna Gana sabha in 1982 where KVN sang with MChandrasekaran sir on violin and Raghu sir on mridangam.The list of songs are as bellow:
Intha chala Begada
Samaja varadaya Suddhasaveri
Seshachala nayakam Varali
Pakkala nilapadi Karaharapriya
Evarura ninnuvina Mohanam
Amba nannu brovave Thodi
Kana vendamo Sriranjani
Muruga muruga Saveri
Enneramum Devagandari
Mayamma Ahiri
Anda rama soundaryam Kedaragowlai
Pullum silambina kaan Shankarabaranam
Ongi ulagalanda Ragamaligai
Oruthi maganai Behag
Dasaratha sudha Bimplas
Thillana Purnachandrika
Mangalam
Last edited by kamesh on 18 May 2009, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

What I like about KVN is that he sings with so much passion. Like MMI.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 19 May 2009, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

srikant1987 wrote:What I like about KVN is that he sings with so much passion. Like MMI.
I totally agree with you! In addition to their technical & other perfections it is this aspect that made them SO GREAT! It always appeared that their EMPATHY was such that when you attended therir concert it appeared- at least to me- that they were singing to you directly!...As a matter of fact Mr. Krishnan who used to write an article on "song of the season" once wrote about MMI'S rendering of "Thiruvadi Charanam" & the niraval at Yetthanai yo piravi: To him it appeared that MMI was directly conversing with GOD; I had actually visited MMI the next day after that concert & asked him about that particular Niraval. He said that perfect music is when the artist merges with the technical aspects as well as what the composer had created so perfectly. He said certain personal things about his condition also which is not relevent here..... VKV

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

coolkarni wrote:http://rapidshare.com/files/74006311/KVN.mp3
Manjunath
This is a track we used to play late in the night , with all lights switched off.
As I listen to his neraval again today , I get the goosebumps again....
Coolji, what is this piece? I want to check if I have it.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

kamesh wrote:Hello all,
Does anybody can give me information about the company who released and name of the shop(place) including price of a commercial release of a concert in Krishna Gana sabha in 1982 where KVN sang with MChandrasekaran sir on violin and Raghu sir on mridangam.The list of songs are as bellow:
Intha chala Begada
Mangalam
Hi Kamesh,

I gt these two CD's from www.celextel.com:
https://www.celextel.com/collectorschoi ... -3383.html

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

coolkarni wrote:
Enna_Solven wrote:
Coolji, what is this piece? I want to check if I have it.
I cant identify it from this rapidshare reference .Can you give me thread / post details .
Your post # 114 of this very thread.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 23 Nov 2009, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

sakthi.balan

Post by sakthi.balan »

Coolkarni sir, is it the song punniyam oru kotti with niraval at annai kamatchi pole....

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Coolji,

The folder is empty; but if it is 'punniyam oru koti' (58 minutes), I have it.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Is this the puNNiyam oru kOdi with a half hour neraval that was discussed in the Neraval thread years ago? It would be great to have this neraval, Coolji, if you have the time.