AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods

To teach and learn Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

AMS Easy Methods 2007 CD - Teaching and Learning Methods

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I have uploaded the full contents of the MP3 CD titled "AMS Easy Methods-2007" of Shri. Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma to Sangeethapriya:

http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... thods-2007

We thank the Sangeethapriya/sangeethamshare administrators for accomodating this CD and providing the necessary space and bandwidth.

This thread can be used to interact with sharmaji on the contents of the CD. I have made this thread sticky.

EDIT: The information about the previous edition of this CD has been deleted. ( April 12th 2008 )
Last edited by vasanthakokilam on 13 Apr 2008, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vasanthakokilam, At last you hit it. Hearty congratulations and thanks a lot for all the trouble you have taken in this respect. Not only by creating a topic on this but also by making this thread sticky you have made the things easier to serve the cause of music. Any of our brothers and sisters can always bring their queries through this thread and I am always ready to clear them off. Thanking you once again, amsharma.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

msakella garu,
Thank you very much for making this available to us on the net.

Vk, thank you for your effort !!!

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Thanks so much Sri Sharma. and Sri Vasanthakokilam

-Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

A note on downloading. Depending on your browser settings, if you click on an individual file, it will try to download it in the background and play the file in the browser itself. To avoid that, right click on the link and use Save Target As.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sharmaji/VK:
endarO mahAnubhAvulu, andariki mA vandanamulu!
Great Service indeed!
anantakOTi namaskAram.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear members/moderator, sujiram, ramakriya & rshankar, The Almighty is making me doing things along with all our co-members in serving the cause of our music.I am also along with you all but nothing special. I always remain happy if I become useful in serving our society. That’s all. ‘Sarvadeva Namaskarah Keshavam Pratigacchati’. Thanks to all of you, amsharma.

srinidhi

Post by srinidhi »

Many many thanks to you- msakella sir and vasanthakokilam

vasanthakokilam

I am working with the good folks at sangeethapriya.org to find another permanent place for these files. Hopefully after that we do not have to suffer through this big file problem with google groups. It may take a few days.

meena

Post by meena »

Akellaji and VK

Thanku.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Brother/sister-members & moderators dear, Being an Indian, I always feel it as my duty to strive hard in keeping our Great Indian Culture in tact and to serve the cause of our music by passing it on to the posterity. Our brother-members, vasanthakokilam, mridhangam and others are also striving hard to carry out the same. If every other Indian feels the same and contribute his/her mite minimizing his/her selfish motives, no doubt, our India stands on the heads and shoulders of the entire world with all our brains put together. To attain this, I always pray the Almighty for it and wish the number of people, who always remain ideal to others and instill this kind of spirit in our people, must increase creditably. amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 13 Apr 2007, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

padren68

Post by padren68 »

VK
Try esnips (esips.com). 5gb free space + u can create [rivate/pulic sharing folders.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Padren for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind.

Nandy

Post by Nandy »

Thank you Akellaji and VK.

Very valuable work.

Thank you.

Nandy.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

VK & Akellaji,

That's wonderful work, thanks to you both. Sorry I didnt notice this thread earlier.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, srkris, Thank you for your kind comments. This is only a beginning and, taking it as a mission in letter and spirit, we all have to do many such things in future for our people. amsharma.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

I listened to your Begada varnam-class format as a sample,
Wonderful service ,Shirma ji.
By the by,may I know whose disciple you are?
Neyveli Santhanagopalan.

sbala

Post by sbala »

NSG Sir,
Sharmaji is travelling and should be returning today/tomorrow. As he has mentioned elsewhere, he is a disciple of Shri Nedunuri and a follower of Shri MSG. Btw, your Vallabha Nayakasya class in Jaya TV this week was wonderful, too.

meena

Post by meena »

abt our akellaji :
http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/news/200505 ... aranam.asp
Parur' M.S.Gopalakrishnan is my 'manaseeka' Guru for violin and for Carnatic music I revere Nedunuri Krishnamoorthy as my Guru.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Thanks Bala avl and Meena avl;I am happy to know more about Sri.Shirmaji.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, vidyaarthi, Thank you for your kind comments. I am the disciple of Shri Nedunuri Krishna Murthy and a follower of Shri M.S.Gopalakrishnan. From the date of my retirement in 1996 I have given up my Violin-accompaniment and regular practice and since last 5 years I have given up even my concerts by All India Radio and Doordarshan as a Top-rank Violinist (and even filed a case in the Court of Law against AIR & TV for the additional duration of recordings but paying a single contract-fee) and taken up the propagation of the easy, effective and innovative methods in teaching our Karnataka music quickening the process of teaching to the aspirants along with the rarest topic of Talaprastara. Only in that process I brought out the mp3 CD ‘AMS Easy methods’ up to Varnas dividing and recording each Varna into two parts of Poorvanga and Uttaranga. Presently, I am involved in another project of making the learning of Varnas still easier and within a month or two I am thinking of linking them to the previous CD. I always feel that, being in this music field for a longer period than many others, it is the duty of the elders to make the things easier to our kids in the process of preservation and development of our Cultural Art. amsharma.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

"it is the duty of the elders to make the things easier to our kids in the process of preservation and development of our Cultural Art. amsharma."

Ideals for us to emulate.Thanks,sir.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Second it whole-heartedly!

chandrasombhotla

Post by chandrasombhotla »

thanks to the moderators and vasanthakokilam for your efforts.

Viswanath

Post by Viswanath »

Respected Sir / Madam,

I am new to this group. In the following link, i could not access first five files.
Only from file 6, i have the link for downloading.
Is there any other way,please let me know.

http://groups.google.com/group/amsharma ... ods1/files

Regards
Viswanath Iyer

vasanthakokilam

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

Respected amsharma ji,
I have been following the posts on this thread and I have recently purchased your book "Sangita Swararaga Sudha" along with the tapes. Both me and my son are students of music and we are looking forward to learning as much as we can. Can you recommend a starting point for us when we cover the material in your book - Also is it easier to cover the raga alapana portion first and then the swarakalpana? Frankly the tala excersises appear daunting but we want to learn no matter how long it takes.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, nadhasudha, There is nothing wrong in trying your best and I am always here to guide you in every possible manner. But, in this task, your instinctive rhythmical abitlities, your concentrative ability, your regular and hard practice and the teacher’s vigilance over the aspirant counts much. Among all of them, your instinctive rhythmical abilities are the base and they should be put to test. For this you do as I say here. This is to put yourself to test your rhythmical instinct. The same applies to all who are interested in getting this done.
If you have aready down loaded the mp3 CD ‘AMS-Easy Methods’ from the web site http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... thods-2007 and you are having it with you OK. If not, you do it now and get it. In my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha (English), in page 7 Eka-tala-jati-alankara is furnished in detail. In the duration of one-second 2 beats consisting of 2 syllables each i.e., ki-ta with the right hand at first followed by ta-ka with the left hand have to be rendered following the book. Find the thread, ‘Teaching/Learning Karnataka
Violin’ under the 2nd topic, Sangeeta Kalalaya of the index, go to the 24th post, click the 1st video clipping of Youtube and follow it. Or, go to the web site ‘Youtube.com’, (either as a guest or as a registered user) type ‘karanataka violin lessons’ in the space provided for ‘search’, open up the AMS-Laya-exercises-1, follow the 1st exercise, tally it with the material furnished in the book, the same ‘ki-ta-ta-ka’ and practice it for 1 or 2 hrs. Then, you have to contact me by Yahoo messenger to enable me listen to your renderings and assess your rhythmical instinct. I do not know in which country you are residing and the relevant local timings. If you give me these details I shall try to find out some time which is convenient to both of us to contact by Yahoo messenger. My e-mail address is msakella2002@yahoo.co.in and Yahoo messenger or Skype ID is ‘msakella2002’.
Even though many of the commercial-music-teachers will not agree with me at all, I, with all my experience, tell that the rhythmical instinct of the aspirant only decides the future of the aspirant and successful Svarakalpana paves way to Ragalapana. With best wishes, amsharma.

vasanthakokilam

AMS-Easy-Methods-2007 has been uploaded as requested by Sri. Sharma. You can find it here.

http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... thods-2007

This is a significantly expanded edition with 481 audio files and 15 PDF files. There are new sections on gamaka and kampita and the songs are
notated using the exhaustive list of gamaka and kampita notations that Sharmaji has devised.

The readme file at the above link provides further details.

The PDF files are in English and Telugu. There is an effort underway to translate them into Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil. They will be uploaded once they are available.

Sharmaji is out of town and once he gets back, he will provide further commentary on this new edition. He asked me to upload and annouce it here in the interest of making the material available to rasikas, students and teachers at the earliest.

( The previous edition will be deleted soon from sangeethapriya ).

msakella

Post by msakella »

This mp3 CD containing ‘AMS Easy Methods-2007’ is the newly and finally modified and developed version to cater the needs of the aspirant learning Karnataka music without depending upon the teachers. This has been experimented upon some of the efficient and hard working students and as the results are extremely encouraging our friends have uploaded this to make it easily accessible to each and every aspirant on the globe. In this CD, for the first time in the history, nearly 60 varieties of Kampitas and Gamakas of our Karnataka music have, at length, been defined with the help of symbols and respective audio clippings, 27 facets of Kaishiki-nishada are also furnished along with the same symbols and respective audio clippings and some of the Varnas are also furnished along with the same symbols and respective audio clippings for the benefit of the aspirants.

In general, people are more interested in discussing things and getting the correct information than working hard. In which way every person on earth, though ugliest, wants to marry a beautiful lady every person wants to sing music efficiently. But many are not ready to go through all the hardships of rigorous practice, single-minded devotion and dedication towards music. In the same manner, when I came out and explained in detail, very few have really come forward to sincerely learn either Tala-prastara or the Easy-muktayis etc. Of course, I am always optimistic and very well know that, at the least, one in thousands will definitely avail this opportunity properly to become a true knowledgeable person in our music.

In case of any doubts anybody can contact my e-mail address msakella2002@yahoo.co.in or ID <msakella2002> either on Yahoo Messenger or Skype or my Telephone Nos. 040-27054232 (land-line) or 09908822992 (mobile). amsharma.
Last edited by msakella on 31 May 2008, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

vg_

Post by vg_ »

Looks like the link (http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... thods-2007) is not accessible.

Any other sites where this CD can be downloaded?

-- VG

vasanthakokilam

sangeethapriya is currently down and is in the process of being revived. http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6649

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi all.
Today 6 Nos. of video-clippings containing some intricate patterns of Jatis and Svaras for 6 Talas (1.Adi-Chaturashra-gati-3, 5 & 7 breaks and 5-break in the end of each Avarta 2.Adi-trisra-gati-4, 5 & 7 breaks and 4-break in the end of each Avarta 3.Jati & Svara-muktayis in Rupaka-tala 4.Jati & Svara-muktayis in Mishra-chapu-tala 5.Jati & Svara-muktayis in Adi-tala-trisra-gati 6.Jati & Svara-muktayis in Khanda-chapu with the refrain in the end) rendered by a group of around 15 students of below 16 years of age of AMS Foundation are uploaded to <youtube.com/msakella> for the benefit of the aspirants learning music. Recently, on 11th November, 2008, I have started a Sunday-work-shop (2 to 5 or 6 pm)at Hyderabad, a crash-course to train the junior-aspirants still learning Varnas in singing Svarakalpana within 3 months and senior-aspirants who have completed learning Varnas in Ragalapana in next 3 months. Nearly 50 candidates appeared for the rhythmical tests and nearly 30 candidates are found suitable and admitted as junior-aspirants. This is working under my direction and supervision, the co-ordination of Shri J.S.Eshwara Prasad, a reputed dancer of Nritya-Sankeertana which forms part of Sampradaya-bhajana-paddhati and the able training of Chi.Sow. Chidroopalakshmi Prasad (M.A., gold-medalist in music and the wife of the coordinator) and her son and child prodigy Chi. J.Satya Shreeram. Among them nearly 15 candidates below the age group of 16 years are able to follow, understand, grasp, practise and reproduce the complex patterns very quickly. This obviously reveals that the young aspirants, if they are trained in a rational and disciplined manner, can very quickly and easily become able to sing even complex Svarakalpana within a very short time even before the completion of Varnas. This could be made possible only by following the easy, effective, innovative and qualitative methods in teaching music. amsharma

sureshjm

Post by sureshjm »

Dear Mr. Akella sir,

I am collecting some books on carnatic for educative purposes. I was told that there is a raga alapana book by you with cassette recordings and and kirthana book by you also with cassettes which is for educative purposes.. Do I get them in any of the book stores and how much does it cost? i want to buy a few nos for a music school.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sureshjm, Presently I am on tour in Karnataka. After my return to Hyderabad on 24th I shall give you the required details. amsharma

sureshjm

Post by sureshjm »

thank you Mr. Akella . I can hold on.

sureshjm

Post by sureshjm »

but why is that these days the sentences are blocked unable to read. mods did you notice this .?

sureshjm

Post by sureshjm »

akella sir,

I am waiting for the reply.

vasanthakokilam

sureshjm, If a post is cut off in the middle, it is due to corruption. Please post a reference to those in this thread: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... reads.html

The admin srkris will try his best to fix them. Thanks for your patience.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If a post is cut off in the middle, it is due to corruption.
I am very sorry to hear that such practices as bribery have reached our haloed forum.

;) :lol:

vasanthakokilam

:lol:

data corruption, it should read.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Nick, LOL!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

When I was a Computer systems manager, my first word association for "corruption" would have been "data".

Ah! Those were the days of innocence ;)

...But yes, I do recall that this problem arose with the recent Rasika's upgrade...

sureshjm

Post by sureshjm »

Akella sir is perhaps not reading this thread!!!!!! Sir I am waiting for the reply. like the pricing and where in the bookstores are they available

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sureshjm, Among the 7 books I wrote 4 are on Talaprastara, 1. Talaprastara Ratnakara (Telugu) - Rs.300/-, 2. Indian Genius in Talaprastara (English version of the 1st book) - Rs.300/-, 2. Talaprastara of Nisshanka Sharngadeva’s Sangita ratnakara-with a critical interpretation (English) - Rs.250/-, 4.Systematisation of Prastara Details of Deshi Talas (English) - Rs.150/- and 3 books on Pratical music, 5.Sangita Svararaga Sudha (Telugu) on Svarakalpana and Ragalapana supplied along with 9 pre-recorded cassetes or 4 mp3 CDs - Rs.600/-, 6. Sangita Svararaga Sudha (English) on Svarakalpana and Ragalapana supplied along with 9 pre-recorded casstees or 4 mp3 CDs - Rs.600/-, 7.Sangita Vidyabodhini (all the items of Certificate and Diploma Examinations are furnished along with notation) supplied along with 3 mp3 CDs containing nearly 70 Kirtanas of the syllabus sung folowing the same notation of the book (Telugu) - Rs.300/-. Except the last book all other books are available in the Carnatic Music book Centre, Chennai. Some of them are also available in US and Australia. If you tell me where you reside I shall be able to give you the nearest point to get them. amsharma

saramati

Post by saramati »

respected sharmaji,

namasthe. I require kalpanaswarams for panthuvarali ragam. I would be grateful if you could help me. thank you very much.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, saramati, Certainly I shall help you. There are many problems in typing them on the computer and sending them to you. If you have internet facility and come online either by Yahoo Messenger or Skype to sing and speak to me to my ID ‘msakella2002’ I shall be able to give you many varieties. But, at first, I must ascertain the level of your rhythmical ability and give you the needful. For all these things you better contact my ID given above around 8 am or 8 pm (IST) on any day. As I have to go out-station please contact me before 2nd or after 5th March. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 28 Feb 2009, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

saramati

Post by saramati »

thank you very much sharmaji sir. alternatively, if you could give me any link site, from where i could listen to the same, i shall be very grateful. sorry for the trouble.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear b/s-member, saramati, You can visit http://sangeethamshare.org/chandra/AMS- ... thods-2007, download the Jati-muktayis from the 153rd audio-track & the corresponding Svara-muktayis from the 154th audio-track pertaining to the Sama-graha of Rupaka-tala from my CD, AMS Easy Methods-2007. If you want to tally the same you can also go through the chapter 6.1.2 in my book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha (Telugu/English). amsharma