Dhenuka, Sindhu Bhairavi

To teach and learn Indian classical music
shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Are there any Sindhu Bhairavi flavors to Dhenuka? I have a strange feeling that I'm hearing Sindhu Bhairavi in one of TRS' Dhenuka kalpana swaras. Can someone check it out and let me know?

http://karnatikrunner.wordpress.com/200 ... -bhairavi/

Thanks,

Shripathi

vijay

Post by vijay »

Yes I get that feeling too - we had a discussion on that after Sanjay's Hamsadhwani concert this year. It is difficult to understand in terms of swaras - probably more to do with the phrases. Hopefully someone will explain in more detail.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Just going by the overall feel, in Theliyaleru Rama, I can see that in the pallavi there is a resemblance to SB but in anupallavi where it spends much time in the uttaranga and mElsthAyi, it has quite a different feel from SB.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Not at all unusual to detect phrases/flavors of Sindhu Bhairavi when listening to Dhenuka.

The two raagas differ in aarohana and avaraohana by a mere swara, the N. Orthodox Sindhu Bhairavi has the same A/A as Todi except that the notes, particularly G and N, are sung without the gamaka. SB has N2 and Dhenuka N3. In Dhenuka too the G (i.e., G2) is sung without gamaka. So the first 6 notes S R1 G2 M1 P D1 are identical. How can we NOT detect similarities from time to time ?!

In addition, it is permissible to briefly touch N3 in SIndhu Bhairavi, esp. in alapanas. Hindustani musicians such as Ali AKbar Khan did that delightfully. Phrases such as

S R1 G2 S R1 N3 S

Under these circumstances it brings it even closer to Dhenuka.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

Thanks Uday. Would you mind if I add this to my blog so that others can learn when they visit the page?

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Sripathi, of course. Such questions need not be asked. Information is freely given and taken but be warned about its quality :-).

My previous post is reliable but not the whole story, even to me. And experts may have even more to add.

For example, some other observations:

1. Although nominally the A/A of "orthodox" Sindhu Bhairavi is S R1 G2 M1 P D1 N2 , in practice the phrase N2(lower) S G2 M1 P D1 P is used a lot, which is unacceptable in Dhenuka. However, Sindhu Bhairavi allows phrases like S R1 G2 M1,, G2 M1 R1 G2 S R1 S. This latter phrase could technically occur in Dhenuka although not aesthetically.

In fast paced swaraprastharas the likelihood of overlapping phrases/flavor is higher. Quick example of some swaraprastharas (sounds bad even to my ear :-)) that could be applicable to both ragas:

PPDP DP,P ,P,, ,,,,
GMP, DP,P ,P,, ,,,,
MDP, MG,, SRG, RS,,

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Uday_Shankar wrote:Sripathi, of course. Such questions need not be asked. Information is freely given and taken but be warned about its quality :-).
Uday,

Given your track record, I would not worry if I were in Sripati's place :)

-Ramakriya

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Hi Ramakriya, thanks. Don't get much time these days to join the chatter of disinformation :-).