Madurai Mani Iyer

Carnatic Musicians
mmani

Post by mmani »

I am a late entrant to this list :(. Will it be possible to post these songs again :)?

Thanks in advance,
-mani

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Most / All these songs are available on Sangeethapriya.org .... To start with you can get everything and lots more here - http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madurai-Mani-Iyer/

SR

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear friends
I am HNBhagavan a new member.I have visited sangeethapriya.org and downloaded some concerts.
I would like to know whether there is any commercially available vocal concert in which Ra Ra rajeeva lochana ( Mohana) is available?
HNBhagavan

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

MLV must have sung this in a commercial, I don't think MMI has sung this song.

N.R.Patanjali

Post by N.R.Patanjali »

SangithaRasika,

Thank you sir. I wish everyone in this family a happy and prosperous Deepavali.

N.R. Patanjali.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Sudha Raghunathan has sung it in the CD Ramabhakti Samrajyam.
Bombay jayashree has also sung it in- Bombay Jayashri sings your favourites.

birminghamKrishnan

Post by birminghamKrishnan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHhRbvS8 ... re=related

A short program about Madurai Mani iyer.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Friends,
I am happy to announce the celebration of Madurai Mani Iyer Remembrance Day on FEBRUARY 21, 2009 5 P.M. TO 9 P.M. at the Ragasudha Hall (just like last year).
This year we will be honouring S.Rajam,Lalgudi G.Jayaraman and Vellore Ramabhadran with awards. Cleveland V.V.Sundaram will share his admiration for the Magical Music of MMI; K.S.Kalidas will talk on the subtelities of rythm esp. Sarvalaghu as handled by various vidwans for MMI'S ELUSIVE Style in this area. A panel consisting of: S.Rajam, Dr. S.A.K.Durga,M.Chandrasekharan, & K.S.Kalidas will share their "Capsule" views of MMI'S Music; They will also comment on several excerpts from MMI Concerts that will be played that hopefully illustrate why the renderings strike a chord & move the listeners. Vidwan B.Krishnamurthy accompanied by Vittal Ramamurthy (Violin) & Vellore Ramabhadran (Mridhangam) will conclude the proceedings with a concert. For further details please contact: Dr.V.K.Viswanathan (USA & Chennai) at:24362834 or 9840108539.
PLEASE pass this information to as many rasikas as you can; Of course the event is free. Sincerely, VKV

divakar

Post by divakar »

nice to see a short program on Madurai Mani Iyer..

was wondering if there are any other varnams sung by MMI, apart from the 'ninnu kOri' mOhana varnam and 'viribONi' bhairavi varnam.

raviriyer2

Post by raviriyer2 »

I was listening to the brilliant interplay between MMI and Chowdiah in an exposition of Chakkani (Kharaharapriya) in the following concert..
http://sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madurai- ... /MMI--016/

and I noticed that the svaraprasthara portion is missing...i wonder whether anyone has the whole recording...and if so, could you please upload

also...any idea who the mridangist is?? the interplay between him and chowdiah is particularly hypnotic..

cacm

Post by cacm »

Please see Post 159 above. Thanks, VKV

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

vkv43034 wrote: Dear Friends,
I am happy to announce the celebration of Madurai Mani Iyer Remembrance Day on FEBRUARY 21, 2009 5 P.M. TO 9 P.M. at the Ragasudha Hall (just like last year).
This year we will be honoring S.Rajam, Lalgudi G.Jayaraman and Vellore Ramabhadran with awards. Cleveland V.V. Sundaram will share his admiration for the Magical Music of MMI; K.S. Kalidas will talk on the subtelities of rythm esp. Sarvalaghu as handled by various vidwans for MMI'S ELUSIVE Style in this area. A panel consisting of: S. Rajam, Dr. S.A.K. Durga, M. Chandrasekharan, & K.S. Kalidas will share their "Capsule" views of MMI'S Music; They will also comment on several excerpts from MMI Concerts that will be played that hopefully illustrate why the renderings strike a chord & move the listeners. Vidwan B. Krishnamurthy accompanied by Vittal Ramamurthy (Violin) & Vellore Ramabhadran (Mridhangam) will conclude the proceedings with a concert. For further details please contact: Dr.V.K. Viswanathan (USA & Chennai) at: 24362834 or 9840108539.
PLEASE pass this information to as many rasikas as you can; Of course the event is free. Sincerely, VKV

Following are the points noted during deliberations. Kindly bear with me for the poor expression.

The function started exactly at 17 10 hrs. The invocation song was by Ms Nithya and Vidhya . Chandran oliyil avalaikkandane in bageshree. They are disciples of Thiruvenkadu Jayaraman.
After a brief introduction of the reciepients of the awards by V.K. Viswanathan awards were issued by VKV , Toronto Venkatesan and Cleveland Sundaram.

Vellore spoke in Tamil He has accompanied MMI along with LGJ more than 1000 concerts. MMI's singing is better than his speech and hence he avoids conversation with others.
He sang few master peieces of MMi. viz. Veyru tholi bangan [virutham], Rarama intithaka, manasa guruha , janaki ramana. MMI is very fond of Anandha bairavi. Vellore also
mentioned about ARI and his style of singing Vaishanava janatho.

S. Rajam.

Age is his factor for his activities he is 90. In his case, Guru met the sishayan. In 1931 in KV Kitta's house a poonool kalyanam function took place at Nadu street in Mylapore [ A den of lawyers]
MMI who was present to give a concert met S Rajam [ he was 8 yrs old and 10 yrs younger ] accepted him as his sishya. In fact he is related to him too [being an ashta sahasram sub sect ]
He was a man of few words. He used to enjoy kottu rasam, vathal kulambu, sutta appalam and paruppu thugaiyal prepared by SR's mother.

Even with his ill health he has done a lot to CM world. Rendering of Niravathi sugatha was of the same standard till his death. He was giving much importance to karvai than korvai.
He used to sing raga in the form swaram only. Nagumomu, mogana rama, aada modi kalathae kritis were sung by him with adukku swaram from his 20th year His vitajalathura will be like udhiri saadham.{ rice cooked like jasmine ]

He has utilized ARI's pattern too while singing kritis. MD's navagrha keerthanai [ vaara keerthanai ] he will never miss in his concerts. Only he has popularized Sivan's kritis. viz varali and kambodhi.
He will take a single phrase and used to try very often for niraval. Ayy ,Ooyy prayogams while delineation of raga and niravals were due to his ill health only [ could not utilize his vocal chord]
He was always Madhura mayam. He used to encourage pakka vadhyam artistes a lot and was holding them in high esteem. One should learn how to honouar a pakka vadhyam artiste from him only.

He did not sing for platform or for kaithattal [ clapping] Once when Parmacharyal summoned him he told that he has not taken bath to come before him. Immdly Paramacharyal told as he was
always drenching in nadha mayam no need for physical cleanliness. Periyaval used to mention that MMI is only for divine sangeetham. He used to keep himself aloof as periyaval would do.
He used to sing only old pallavis for RTP preserving tradition that he used nurture. Swarams means MMI One should always remember him . His eye sight was very poor and with that he
performed his last AIR concert within stipulated time. swarams should be like hook linked to each other. He mentioned LGJ's observation once about MMI he will sing maniyaga paduvar,
manikkanakkaga paduvar and will not sing money.

M. Chandra Sekaran

MMI's singing will be like free flow . To mention few , Gowda mallar, vijayanagari, Jayantha sena, Umaranam. All with swara malai only. He used sing in Kapali temple every year and there will be
full crowd. His Manikkam vairam niraval and vellai thamarai were all excellent. Once a riksha wala wanted to listen to his Kutchery and refused to take the cart till it was over. his music is Pamara
Panditha sangeetham.

In 1950 he had a chance to listen to SB's veena at SB's resodence with SR singing kotteeswara Iyer pallavi . It was excellent. In 1990 SR gave an AIR program with apoorva keerthanais.
SR is well versed in such rare kritis and he should live long for rasikas to listen such divine music.

For solo Dwaram was the pioneer and after that LGJ. In 1964 LGJ played with his sister Srimathi and Dwaram was present. The concert went on beyond 5 hrs. Pappa Venkatarammaya once
mentioned that playing solo beyond 4 hrs is very difficult. Reg Vellore he mentioned he has played with him more concerts. His is a sarva lagu nathan. Vellore Nadha Rama badran he is better known.

Dr. SAK Durga

She was a disciple of MMI since her 10th year and this continuned for 12 yrs. Her father a wealthy land lord of kumbakonam used to host all leading Carnatic Vidwans in earlier years.
This connection made her to become a disciple.. The 1st kriti she learnt was vitajaladhura in janaranjani. He was a suswaram embodiment. He had a naadha veena body. His body was
a musical instrument. She has learnt only from him how to tune. sa pa sa. He will go to the next lesson only after showing perfection of the one taught previously. He used to mention
very often on lighter side that music has not come up to throat. MVI was a different guru who will never permit to take a note book and for noting down notations. Whereas MMI will allow.
He will insist on practicing for 100 times or till the perfection is attained. While singing he will not look at the gathering and he is more devoted to CM He was influenced by Harikesa nalloor
and his thakkam is seen in all his kritis. MMI has taken the sankarabarnam note as his own from HMB. He used to enjoy silence during his concert and it was visible by Aha and Hoho
during swara karvai. Ganamrutha panam of MB was first sung by Kalakadu and he also popularised Koteeswara Iyer's songs .

Few excerpts from MMI's cocerts and relevent comments by panel members

1 Sri jalanthara was played

M. Chandrasekaran

Valaji was not known to others before MB since it was his innovation. Silence and karvai are most important and gamagam is secondary. At present everything is very fast. One shd have
courage and nirnayam to sing an unknown/ new raga. The organisers shd be thanked for the perfect recording and presentation of the songs The recording is quite clear and audible and
it is evident from the effect as if hearinga live concert ..

Ms Durga

Pani is fine. Importance is given to kaarvai. There are two musicians who immerse in sruthi . One is MMI and other is MSS. Kumbakonam Rajamanickam PIllai used to mention that MMI
sings for 5 hrs with definite kalapramanam which is unique.

2 Thayae Yasodha was played.

S Rajam

The entire kriti was sung w/o Panchamam and shadjam . sung with varjam. excellent. It emphasises his control over swarams. All vocalist should sing clearly. Even before tamil isai
movement came int being MMI was encouraging tamil songs by including it in his concerts. OOthukadu was the pioneer for Tamil isai.

M Chandrasekaran

Kalinil silambu was soung more than 100 times for niraval with different variety every time. TNK accompanied him in this song.

Ms Durga

Ragam can be sung as ragam and also in the form of swaram. It is evident in this piece. Sahithyam is a vehicle for the Raga and sangeetham. Music is 1st and then only theory comes.
Only genius can sing like this.

T.R. Subramanian

Normally gandharam shd be given movement [ asaivu] as this aspect is important for thodi. But in this he has done it excellently w/o this .[theory]. This shows his command over this raga.
If lakshiyam is followed grammar need not be looked into..

3 RTP was played Shunmuga priya and ragamaligai

S Rajam

In this Panchamam is varjam. Future and present day muscians shd learn a lot from his recordings.

Vellore Ramabadran

In 1948 when Mahathma Gandhi was assasinated he did not sing for a month and there was no concerts. He sang the following pallavi during that period as a honour of the great soul.

"Mahathmavin mani mozhi nadappom"

M Chandrasekaran

In every swaram shanuka priya is seen. Then came hamsadwani and then kanada. All these ragas well handled showing the aesthetic beauty of these ragas. His mother was instrumental
for MC to enter in CM field. All youngsters shd follow MMI's pattern of singing.

Ms Durga

He was a staunch congress man and used to wear only Khadi veshti and shirt. He used to sing differentiating between pallavi and kriti. For pallavi niraval he will take the full stranza .
Every time he sings kanada it is always fresh. He is a real genius and is in the level of God. MVI was her guru after MMI as he could not take up lesson. because of his poor eye sight.
His music is always fresh like a flower with aesthetics gender.

Because of ill health I could not stay back for the whole function and missed KS Kalidas'" Illustration on Layam and MMI." If some fellow hubber gives a write up on this will be grateful.

Thanjavooran

(Mod note: Reformatted for better readability )

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thanjavooran
Thanks for your write up about the event . What a great musician shri mmi was!!!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thanjavooran, thanks for the elaborate writeup. Did Sri LGJ speak on this occasion?

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Thanjavooran. Thanks for the wrte up. We hope to upload the entire event procedings soon. VKV

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Thanks for the wonderful write up.

sriraman

Post by sriraman »

From a download I recently got a part-concert of MMI - Vathapi, O Jagadamba, Niravathi, Subramanyena, Chakkani Raja, Kamalambam bhajare.Is any one having the balance concert? The accompaniments are Lalgudi,Palani & AR.Thanks

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

The March issue of Sruti magazine is MMI special.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

As a boy of 10 years, I have listened to the concert of Sri MMI at the Vasanthothsavam festival at the Kapaleeswarar temple. Even though I have not learnt anything in Carnatic music then, still I could enjoy his music and from then on I used to attend his free concerts around Mylapore often.

In one concert at Venkatesa Agraharam music series, Sri MMI concert with Govindasamy Naikar Violin and Madras Kannan Mridangam accompaniment was arranged.Rasikas assembled there were talking that Sri Madras Kannan was accompanying MMI for the first time.
Once MMI completed an elaborate raga alapana, Govindasamy Naiker played the alapana. MMI was enjoying the alapana played by Sri Govindasamy Naiker. When Sri Gvindasamy Naiker played some new brilliant sancharams not sung by Sri MMI, MMI started to sing further alapana in the same raga incorporating the new sancharams played by Sri Govindasamy Naiker.

When I continued to the listen to more of his concerts of MMI I understood that it is a trait of Sri MMI and had an open mind and prepared to absorb new good sancharams played by the accompanists.

If I am a good Rasika of music to day it is because of Sri MMI.

S.NAGESWARAN

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

S.Nageswaranji, I really enjoy your really personal anecdotes. Keep them coming!

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Thank you bilahariji,

Rasikas.Org Forum has given me an opertunity to share my sweet memories about music from the bygone era.

The important point is many of the Rasikas from this forum is able to appreciate these small tit bits and they also come out with their personal tit bits for others to enjoy.

S.NAGESWARAN

cacm

Post by cacm »

I AM HAPPY TO JOIN YOU & OTHERS WHO ARE SHARING THEIR ADMIRATION FOR MMI. VKV

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

A three CD Volume Released by Paddhathi of MMI Concert is very enjoyable. Songs in this album: Vathapi; Budha Mashrayami; Entha Veduko (Saraswathi Manohari);Meenakshi Me Mudam;Chakkani Raja;Sukhi Evvaro;Nannu Palimpa;Eppo Varuvaro;and few more items.

Entha Veduko song with his lovely kalpana swaras is just too unique.

I am not sure if any other artist has sung this song with Kalpana Swarams ?
This song was also a favourite of Chembai.

birminghamKrishnan

Post by birminghamKrishnan »

can somebody post the shruthi article and other interesting facts from that March issue about MMI?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VKV sir or others ,
I have heard thru grapevine that shri madura mani used to sing mukhari in early days. Infact there is also one recording somewhere. By any chance have you heard madura mani singing a mukhari. Is there a recording that anyone had access to.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Rajeshnat,
I am right now carefully going thru' all the MMI recordings I have to locate mukhari in my colleection- a huge one incidentally-. I know he did render it earlier in his career from persons older than me but whether any recordings are available will take some time to reslove. In connection with a MMI Centenary incidentally I am hoping to publish a list of available as well as eyewitness type accounts rendered by MMI. Your kind query has given me the chance to appeal to those who have a list of rare ragas& kritis rendered by MMI to write about them. You can write me at vkv43034@yahoo.com....

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Nov 2009, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

coolkarni wrote:chance to appeal to those who have a list of rare ragas& kritis rendered by MMI to write about them.

Dear VKV
I have sent you a mail
Regards
Dear Collkarniji,
Great idea!....I will respond separately to your kind email. VKV

suma

Post by suma »

vkv43034 wrote: In connection with a MMI Centenary ....
When is MMI Centenary?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

suma wrote: When is MMI Centenary?
2012 , Shri MMI was born in 1912.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Not a rare krithi, but I've rarely heard MMI render nenarunchi (mALavi):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9wb7f

Interesting rendition because (1) of the short raga sketch, (2) slower kalapramanam than usual for this krithi, and (3) swaras, also a rare addition for this krithi.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Bilahari, Great one and with a short Thani too. Thank you very much for sharing with all of us !!

~SR
Last edited by SangithaRasika on 23 Apr 2009, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

SR, you are very welcome. MSG and VR accompanying, BTW (1963 Sangeeta Nataka Academy). Here's the whole concert: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mjijz2

It's an excellent one with a full length RTP in kharaharapriya. The subpieces in chArukEsi, naLinakAnthi, and sarasAngi are all lovely.
Last edited by bilahari on 24 Apr 2009, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari- Thanks for the mAlavi song.
I am yet to listen to the whole MMI's concert which u have U/L ded.

Do u have copy of " venkatAchalapathe" a mani pravalam of Dikshitar sung by MMI in kAnada. U can pl locate & U/l for the benefit of rasikas.(PS: I have not heard this song sung by any other artist.)
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 24 Apr 2009, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

doyoucare

Post by doyoucare »

bilahari wrote:Not a rare krithi, but I've rarely heard MMI render nenarunchi (mALavi):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9wb7f

Interesting rendition because (1) of the short raga sketch, (2) slower kalapramanam than usual for this krithi, and (3) swaras, also a rare addition for this krithi.
Sing the krithis usually sung in faster kalapramanam in slow tempo; and the slower kalapramanam krithis (like MD krithis) in a faster kalapramanam!! Must be his unique style ;)

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

bilahari wrote:
It's an excellent one with a full length RTP in kharaharapriya. The subpieces in chArukEsi, naLinakAnthi, and sarasAngi are all lovely.
Charukesi and Sarasangi in the same concert? That sounds a bit strange!

Sathej

cacm

Post by cacm »

Sathej wrote:
bilahari wrote:
Charukesi and Sarasangi in the same concert? That sounds a bit strange!

Sathej
Its not strange when you realise MMI lived for his fans & responded to their requests irrespective of other considerations. There was an instance when he had just finished an elaborate Thodi & a bunch listeners whose train arrived late requested Thodi & MMI found out by the slight commotion that ensued what it was. He proceeded to sing Thodi again elaborately NOT repeating anyhing he had rendered before. Actually most of his concerts in the latter part of his career were DECIDED by Sabha secretaries & his fans! VKV

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Sathej wrote: Charukesi and Sarasangi in the same concert? That sounds a bit strange!
Sathej
I think I have read / heard where they (I think it is MMI himself) discusses and says how these 2 ragas are different and what prayogas should not be used in the each other !
BTW, thx for the entire concert, I had heard most of the songs individually without knowing the concert details and that they all belong to the same concert.

~SR
Last edited by SangithaRasika on 25 Apr 2009, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

VenkaTAchalapathE-- isn't that in karnATaka kApi? I will upload that in a while--it is indeed one of MMI's trademark pieces. Meanwhile, here is a lovely wedding concert: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0d3nem
This concert features an elaborate entha vEDu (also pretty rare in my MMI collection), lovely dunmArgachararE, and one of the most crisp renditions of sukhi evvarO that I've ever heard. Also has mInAkshi mEmudam and chakkani rAja as main. MMI comments at the end that the atmosphere was more along the lines of a sabha concert than a wedding concert!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Actually, while listening to the music, I had no problems whatsoever with chArukEsi and sarasAngi elaborated in the same concert! MMI certainly keeps them entirely distinct.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari -"VenkaTAchalapathE-- isn't that in karnATaka kApi?" Book says that this is in kArnAtaka kApi, but when we listen to this song, we feel it's only in kAnada. I may be wrong.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

venkaTAchalapathE:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/b6bp7v

It does have a more kAnaDa-ish feel, but then it doesn't feel totally like kAnaDa either!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

veLLai thAmarai - bhImplAs:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zok7ad

mAyE tvmyAgi - tharangini:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9bmxg8

How can we speak of MMI and neglect to mention these two songs!

And there are some rare rend.. uh krithis in these Sangeethapriya folders as well:

srI subrahmanyAya namasthE - kAmbOji:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madu ... mbhoji.mp3

hecharikkaga rA rA:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madu ... mbhoji.mp3

yArO ivar yAro (one of my favourites):
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/ksj/Madu ... airavi.mp3

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Hmm..true, Vidwans of the stature of MMI could possibly sing such closely allied Ragams and yet bring out the distinct characteristics of each of them.

@ Coolji,
Well, true But, in a way, song lists mattered in those days too, I guess. Otherwise, why would Rasikas and Sabha secretaries decide song lists?:) But, yes, 'analyzing' song lists is a neo-trend, I suppose :)

cacm

Post by cacm »

vs_manjunath wrote:bilahari -"VenkaTAchalapathE-- isn't that in karnATaka kApi?" Book says that this is in kArnAtaka kApi, but when we listen to this song, we feel it's only in kAnada. I may be wrong.
It is definitely Karnataka kapi! vkv

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mAyE tvamyAhi - tharangini- Bilahari -THANK U VERY MUCH for this lovely song.

MMI's singing of this sung is just SUPERB. No artist can match him.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 25 Apr 2009, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

bilahari - pl do U/L "nAdha thanum anisham" in chiTaranjani sung by MMI

gmohan

Post by gmohan »