N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Carnatic Musicians
RSR

#126 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by RSR » 16 Feb 2018, 11:41

@124=->In all humility, I submit that the same ragam and even by the same composer ,may not reveal its essential characteristic in all the compositions. My favourite illustrations are the kruthis in kamaj. by Thyagaraja and Dhikshithar. In a different thread, I had mentioned seethapathe (not so good) and sujana jeevana (fine)by Thyagaraja and saarasadhaLa (wonderful) by Dheekshithar. DKP has sung a few more in neelAmbari and all of them are of slow tempo and in as you say, the lower regions of the middle octave. ( the range may go into pa in lower octave soetimes)
.... karaharapriya ,(or some raga similar) in which Thyagaraja swami has given quite a few compositions, is made a mockery of , in a film song with harmonium and all that . I forget the name of the film. 'puthuppeNNin manathai' 1948 etc. It seems there are 3000 ragams! so long as the identification is not far off the mark, let us enjoy the song if good and think less of grammar.
0 x

RSR

#127 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by RSR » 13 Jan 2019, 22:50

This is an image from Dr.Pasupathy's blog. 'sangeetha vishayangaL'.

================================
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/01/28.html
=================================
"944-ஆம் ஆண்டு, டிசம்பர் மாதம். வழக்கம்போல் சென்னையில் இசை விழா நடந்து முடிந்த சமயம். ஜனவரியில் அடுத்து வரும் தியாகராஜ ஆராதனைக்கு மும்முரமாய் ஏற்பாடுகள் நடக்கத் தொடங்குகின்றன. முதலில் ஆராதனை மஹோத்சவ சபைக்கு வேண்டி இருந்தது என்ன ? வேறென்ன ? வைடமின் ‘ப’ , பணம்தான்! “நிதி சால சுகமா” என்று பாடினால் விழா நடத்த முடியுமா?

உத்சவ நிதிக்காகத் தஞ்சாவூரில் 15 கச்சேரிகள் நடக்கின்றன. யாரெல்லாம் பாடினார்கள்? ( யாரெல்லாம் பாடவில்லை என்பதும் முக்கியம் தானோ? ) இதோ, அப்போது “விகட”னில் வந்த ஒரு விளம்பரத்தைப் பாருங்கள்!" ( BY DR.PASUPATHY)
------------------------------------------------

NOTE THE ARTISTE BILLED FOR 17-12-1944
SMT.N.C.VASANTHAKOKILAM
==============================
0 x

Pasupathy

#128 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by Pasupathy » 14 Jan 2019, 19:06

Thanks, RSR. As you know , I have been searching for ANY review of NCV's concerts in ANY magazine for a long time.. I could not even find her obituary note so far in any magazine. So sad! If anyone has more info, please post here.
0 x

RSR

#129 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by RSR » 14 Jan 2019, 23:09

Pasupathy wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 19:06
Thanks, RSR. As you know , I have been searching for ANY review of NCV's concerts in ANY magazine for a long time.. I could not even find her obituary note so far in any magazine. So sad! If anyone has more info, please post here.
======================
SRIRAM
=====
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 436477.ece
==============================================
"he Hindu dated November 8, 1951, carries a small news item. Captioned “Death of Srimathi N.C. Vasanthakokilam” it states: “The death occurred of Srimathi N.C. Vasanthakokilam, the well-known South Indian musician, last evening at her residence in Gopalapuram. She was ailing for the past two weeks and was in a private nursing home till November 6. She was 32.”

The star had been suffering from tuberculosis and it was only a matter of time before death came a calling. On November 21, there was an even smaller news item. It stated that “at a meeting of the Indian Fine Arts Society held on November 10 under the presidentship of Mr. K.S. Ramaswami Sastri, a condolence resolution touching the death of Srimathi N.C. Vasanthakokilam was passed.” And with that, N.C. Vasanthakokilam was history. It was a very quiet farewell to a person who for some time was considered to be a leading Carnatic musician.
0 x

RSR

#130 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by RSR » 14 Jan 2019, 23:13

Exact date and month of birth of Smt.NCV is not readily available but she was born in 1919 and this year , then, will be her CENTENARY YEAR. Veterans in this forum familiar with the 1940-1950 DECADE can kindly share any recordings of NCV.
0 x

RSR

#131 Re: N.C. Vasanthakokilam

Post by RSR » 19 Feb 2019, 22:14

This is a tribute to N.C.Vasanthakokilam by Smt.Ananthalakshmi Sadagopan.
arasi madam will like it very much.
-----------------------------------
https://sites.google.com/site/ncvasanth ... on-ncv.JPG
0 x