alamElu mangA

Classical Dance forms & related music
rshankar

Post by rshankar »

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/06/01/stor ... 210300.htm

In tirupati, there is mention of a muslim woman who is involved with the Lord - a bIbI - did not know that she was considered to be an incranation of bhUmAdEvi....;)

I always thought that the temple and the myth predated muslim invasion of India...so, this is really tough for me to understand.

Also, a very nice situational explanation for the song, 'brahma kaDigina pAdamu'!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ravi,
'tulukka nAchchiyAr' story in mElkOTe (karnATakA)ThirunArAyaNA temple too, if I am not mistaken. The muslim princess wanting to play with the idol and not letting go of it...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I wonder if these legends evolved to portray the superiority of one religion over another?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Arasi,
You are not mistaken. Infact, you are absolutely right. She died due to the pain she got because of separation from SrI rAmapriyan. uDayavar saw her devotion and gave her the name bibi nAcciyAr. You can find her at the feet of SrI sampathkumAran (selva piLLai) even today. I don't know if the following image is that clear. Please look in between the feet of utsavar.

http://www.acharya.org/mmedia/images/tn ... vai-01.jpg

As svAmi nammAzhavAr told us, tirunAraNan tAl cindittuyminE.

There is also a tulukka nAcciyAr in SrIrangam who is in the form of a chitram (picture). There is also a mention of a maLayALa nAcciyAr in SrIrangam, who is kulaSEkarAzhvAr's daughter, cErakulavalli tAyAr.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

To this day in Srirangam, I was told, the Lord departs (wearing a lungi) without any pomp or pageantry in the middle of the night on some auspicious day from the temple to ammAmaNDapam (on the banks of the river Cauvery) ostensibly to visit tulukka nAcciyAr.
Last edited by mahakavi on 06 Jun 2007, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

I think that is for uraiyUrvalli tAyAr on the night before panguni uttiram night. He goes to uraiyUr (nicuLApuri). I'm not sure if it is for tulukka nAcciyAr. May be He does it for both who knows. He did similar things with the gOpis and parakAla nAyaki too.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Who is parkAla nAyaki? Is it another tulukka nAyaki?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

parakAla nAyaki is the heroine in tirumangai AzhvAr's 6 prabhandams. The incident I was telling you about occurs in the story narrated by AzhvAr in the 10 pAsurams dedicated to ASTabhujakara pErumAl in kAnchipuram (tiruvaTTAbuyakaram). SrIvaiSNavAs believe that parakAla nAyaki is none other than AzhvAr himself in nAyikA bhAvam.

parakAla nAyaki - tirumangai AzhvAr
parAnkuSa nAyaki - nammAzhvAr.
Last edited by ksrimech on 06 Jun 2007, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.